AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-19, 08:57   Link #81
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohen View Post
No opinions? Or unable to comment? That's fine. Personally, I could see 4kids being the best bet as TMS has already worked with them for a long running series already and it still is successful (Sonic X), but that doesn't deplete the possibility for Viz Media, who also has merchandising rights to Sonic X.

My own question for the card game is are there separate values for defending and attacking, or is it all the same and monsters from the hand can be used to block using the same value they do for attack?
That's already been explained in episode 1. Watch it again and pay attention .

Only cards with a "shield" value that's listed on the left side of the card can guard, and the value is that shield value. However the total defensive power is that shield plus the attack value of the card that is being attacked.
So, there's a hybrid system. Base defense is the attack number, but additional called "guard"'s defense is different, and they add.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 11:56   Link #82
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

To put it simply, the defense value of the guard card will reduce the attack power of the attacking monster. Afterwards, both attacker and attack target ATK value will be compared.
Old 2011-01-19, 11:58   Link #83
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
To put it simply, the defense value of the guard card will reduce the attack power of the attacking monster. Afterwards, both attacker and attack target ATK value will be compared.
Ah, yes, actually that was the way it was described in episode 1, although my way of thinking it adding to the attack value of the target is perfectly equivalent mathematically.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2011-01-19, 12:24   Link #84
cohen

Ok then, thanks. Another question. Using the damage cards as mana, do they get unused the next turn, or once they are used, they remain face down for the whole fight?

Another one, we use the term fight, right? Since the name of the show is Cardfight, and not Card Duel.

In a response to the person who said card games turn into luck draws, VG started out with a luck draw, something Yugioh, the main competitor, has not done in the first episode.
Old 2011-01-19, 14:34   Link #85
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Ok then, thanks. Another question. Using the damage cards as mana, do they get unused the next turn, or once they are used, they remain face down for the whole fight?
Actually, I'm not sure about that, but I think they remain down.

That would imply you only have a maximum of 5 the entire game, except that heal triggers allow you to be take units off the damage zone. That way you can continuously heal, get damaged again, and have more points available to spend on special abilities. The game seems designed to be played pretty quickly (call as many units as you want each turn, only 6 damage limit, etc), so I can't imagine fights going much more than 10 turns each. That would let you use an ability on 3-4 of those turns if they cost 1-2.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2011-01-19, 18:21   Link #86
bayoab

Quote:
In a response to the person who said card games turn into luck draws, VG started out with a luck draw, something Yugioh, the main competitor, has not done in the first episode.
Season 0 begins with him getting lucky and drawing a jack and his opponent gets a joker in the first episode.
Yugioh:DM has him top decking exodia in episode 1.
Etc.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 18:27   Link #87
cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Season 0 begins with him getting lucky and drawing a jack and his opponent gets a joker in the first episode.
YugiohM has him top decking exodia.
Etc.
Yugi had been drawing Exodia pieces the whole duel, so it wasn't exactly luck he was going to draw it eventually. As for season 0, he won because Ushio cheated.
Old 2011-01-20, 04:30   Link #88
FateAnomaly

Quote:
Yugi had been drawing Exodia pieces the whole duel, so it wasn't exactly luck he was going to draw it eventually. As for season 0, he won because Ushio cheated.
I don't watch YGO but what you said sure sounds like luck to me.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 06:55   Link #89
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Yeah sounds like luck to me too.
Old 2011-01-20, 07:21   Link #90
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Any of these games are dependant on luck, YGO abused the 'heart of the cards' thing which clearly allowed for some really lucky draws. The point is, however, at the times YGO would use a device like this, some big strategy was already being put to work by the player, and he'd usually be missing one card to complete it. It worked because no matter how cheesy it might have been, it made for exciting climaxes and all.

Vanguad's luck, on the other hand, works the same way towards basically any attacking monster. Attack something and hope for a drive trigger. There's hardly any strategy here, it's simply a free power-up you may or may not get. I must add that personally, it ended up making the conclusion to the first game on the show feel very anticlimactic, although I can see different opinions on the matter.

In the end, however, it all boils down to what bayoab said a few pages ago here.
Old 2011-01-20, 08:11   Link #91
cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Simply put if you have been drawing something since the first turn, and it was showcased when you draw them, it isn't exactly lucky when you draw the last piece.

As for season 0, there was no card game involved, Yugi simply got Ushio to cheat.

I am still waiting for this anime to get interesting. I hope it does, or most of my free trial at CR will have been wasted when I could have started it in April when Zexal starts (if it will be join streamed)

@Blukun

I think the best case of this, other than Exodia, was when Yugi used Brain Control to take over Regenerating Slime in his duel against Strings. He drew that card, but the strategy was already in place for it to work. He could have used any method to take that monster too. I don't see VG offering alternatives that much, while in YGO there are alternatives, in case you don't draw the right card.

Last edited by cohen; 2011-01-20 at 08:38.
cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 15:46   Link #92
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Spoiler for impressions:
Old 2011-01-21, 20:19   Link #93
cohen

The episode was better, but it really didn't accomplish all that much. It was really slow, and really was just to show Aichi's sister learning about VG, and how Aichi has gained courage thanks to the card game (heard that one before). He also owns that kid with the V shaped hair, who is your typical "I'm gonna use 10 lv 6 monsters thinking I can win" type of guy. It was obvious Aichi would win, but it did have some purpose, if it shows later on that his younger sister has importance to the plot.

I enjoyed it, much better than the first two episodes at least.

I don't have a good outlook for this however. It really just feels like this will set up to a big tournament arc, there is little set up for later on. It really just feels like your typical anime with a card game thrown in for kicks.
Old 2011-01-21, 20:23   Link #94
bayoab

Okay, the show finally made it clear. They are aiming for a younger audience than Yugioh and Magic and the like. They actually had an introduction to a card shop. Which is well, absolutely boring and a waste of time for anyone who has entered one or is over the age of ~13. But that makes sense for a younger crowd. Card shops are kinda scary for kids and outsiders. And the battle was just to teach the kids the lesson "strongest cards don't matter if you can't get them out."

But that was some amazingly cheap animation and amazing amount of filler they needed. The next episode actually looks interesting just because it's the silent shopkeeper.
Old 2011-01-21, 20:37   Link #95
cohen

To be fair, Yugioh in America aims for the same 6-11 crowd, while the original in Japan goes for the 13 and lower crowd. The card game is everyone however for Yugioh, it makes you wonder who they expect to buy this game.

I can totally see 4kids picking this up, there is nothing too edgy about it, it is tamer than Yugioh ever was, even with Zexal.
Old 2011-01-21, 21:24   Link #96
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Spoiler for Episode 3:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
But that was some amazingly cheap animation (...)
I must second this, although at least the drawings (in particular close-up shots) are still looking decent. It doesn't make up for nearly non-existant animation, but if even that starts going to unacceptable levels, we might have a problem!

Oh well, guess having Hara working on some Yu-Gi-Oh! episodes truly is a blessing.
Old 2011-01-21, 21:47   Link #97
cohen

Screw Hara, there is Kagami and Kuzunori Takahashi working for the Yugioh movie, and Kuz on 5Ds, they are much better aniamtion wise than Hara.

I thought VG had Akira Ito, I guess if you guys see it as cheap, it must be due to him not being used to animation, and his studio being slow to the concept. Any idea who the animation directors were for each episode? For Yugioh, we get that info in V-Jumps.

I must say the subs look much better in red than they did in Blue. A question about the subs, is that the most accurate translation, noob? Or was it just added in for the lulz?
Old 2011-01-21, 22:10   Link #98
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Screw Hara, there is Kagami and Kuzunori Takahashi working for the Yugioh movie, and Kuz on 5Ds, they are much better aniamtion wise than Hara.
Heh, I guess if we're talking about animation in the truest sense of the world, Kazunori is by far the most talented guy here (although Kagami has a very nice track record too). He's worked on some really good things overall, with RuroKen Tsuiokuhen taking the cake. Still, Hara's gengas' charm come from his close-ups. For me, in that regard, no one does it quite like him where Yu-Gi-Oh! is concerned. And while we're at it, has Ito ever done any work as a key animator? I see he's worked on in-between animation for Samurai Champloo, but I'm unable to find any genga related works.

Lastly, regarding the information about the animation directors, I don't know whether or not that's avaible, but it would be quite nice to know, indeed.

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2011-01-21 at 22:28.
Blue-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 00:13   Link #99
Darkman.exe213
Yurippe is mai waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
Spoiler for Episode 3:
Spoiler for episode 3:
Old 2011-01-22, 01:28   Link #100
bayoab

Okay, I just read over the basic rule sheets in looking for a clarification of whether it was equal level or only less. There is a lot more that they have only glossed over and haven't really explained. Like half of these things are actually variable symbols on the cards and they are treating them as "always true". It appears most of the actual strategy is in deck construction and playing ends up coming down to luck more often than smart playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
As for the game, the whole grade thing was interesting, I think it adds a bit of depth to it, but the luck issues are still there. Again we had Aichi getting a drive trigger near the end of a match and it's becoming a bit too common, in particular since we're still on the third episode.
To be fair, he had basically won that as it was. Morikawa had the equivalent of being mana screwed or drawing all your 5*+ monsters in Yugioh.

Quote:
I hope we get some Kagamin. (Who is the only name I recognize there because there are comments on nico for his work on yugioh.)

Quote:
A question about the subs, is that the most accurate translation, noob? Or was it just added in for the lulz?
If I recall the line, it basically means amateur so noob works just fine there.

Tags
card game, cardfight vanguard