AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-08-05, 22:20   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 717 [manga] (NOTE: NO CHAPTER NEXT WEEK)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

And here's this week's spoiler! Again, credit goes to Redon from AP forums for this summary:

Quote:
- Luffy Vs Don Chinjao. Don Chinjao knows Rayleigh and cries for his treasure.
- Sanji and Kinemon are watching Luffy's battle on the street. There are a lot of Marine, even Vice Admiral Bastille.
- 10 years ago, when Doflamingo became King of Dressrosa, he brought a fruit user to transform people into toys.
- Dolfa gave two rules:
* No. 1 - Every human must go home and toys must go to Toy House at 00:00 am.
* No. 2 - Human canīt go to the Toy House and toys canīt go to the human's house.
- People lost memory of those who had been turned into toys.
- Leo says they want to rescue the princess and 500 friends. They must go to the factory that is under the Corrida Colosseum.

My god, I SO called that the factory would be hidden under the stadium. And it's nice to get confirmation of the toy people being the result of a DF power after all (I doubt it's that Jora woman's ability, though..... her power seems to be based on modern art, rather than toys/puppets). My guess is that the toy people are meant to be slaves who work at the Smile factory at midnight, considering the "rules" that were set in place (and said rules also explain why Rebecca couldn't live together with the toy man).....

Anyway, interesting to see that Chinjao also knows Rayleigh. I still think that the "treasure" he's talking about is referring to his family/significant other. It also seems that the little people/dwarves have a princess. Heh, wonder if this means Sanji will be fawning over her (he was already smitten with a giant princess like Shirahoshi, so should a small one be any different)? Anyway, sounds like a really cool chapter. Can't wait for the full release!

Edit: BTW, for those wondering who VA Bastille is, he's one of those giant VAs we saw at Marineford. Specifically, this guy:

Spoiler:

Last edited by marvelB; 2013-08-05 at 22:50.
Old 2013-08-06, 01:30   Link #2
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Wow nice. If Spoilers are accurate ( as they generally are), then i predicted almost all of it 10 weeks ago in my prediction video. Though imo it was kinda obvious.
Old 2013-08-06, 10:39   Link #3
shalala

Lool if the DF user that can turn people into puppets is true then I think called that one. It is interesting to see that Rebecca seem to be able to remember who the toy person is. Soo she may have not been effected.
Old 2013-08-06, 13:44   Link #4
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

No chapter next week again? Up untill now I was against all those people whose angry with Oda having so many breaks since he was hospitalized and stuff...but this is really becoming a bit weird...

On the other hand, I dont think this toy devil fruit is much different than Kage Kage No Mi, which had a pretty much worldwide area of effect with zombies and human shadow owners.
Old 2013-08-06, 14:45   Link #5
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrz View Post
No chapter next week again? Up untill now I was against all those people whose angry with Oda having so many breaks since he was hospitalized and stuff...but this is really becoming a bit weird...
It's because of a Japanese Holiday. So i believe the Magazine is on a break. It's not Oda Sensei.
Old 2013-08-06, 14:57   Link #6
Rainbowman

So those that were turned into toys had lost their memories? Lucky for Nami, Chopper, Brook, and Momonosuke haven't lost theirs. If next week is a holiday, lucky for the Japanese to have any holiday in the month of August compared to the other months.
Old 2013-08-06, 16:28   Link #7
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
It's because of a Japanese Holiday. So i believe the Magazine is on a break. It's not Oda Sensei.

Correct. Next week is Obon, so it's the SJ magazine itself that's taking a break (in fact, I'm pretty sure that applies to ALL of the big manga magazines, as well). Just wanted to clear this up, is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Though doesn't this make this DF one of the most powerful ever? Most of the other fruits we've seen had a relatively limited area of effect, working mostly on the immediate surroundings, or a specific person, but if this fruit can alter the memories of ALL the people, who knew about a person the power was used on, it's really something else.

I dunno, it doesn't seem to be THAT powerful an ability since, as was already pointed out, Rebecca doesn't seem to be under its influence. I guess she unconsciously broke one of the power's rules or something. Of course, we should be glad that this is OP and not Jojo or HxH, since in those series breaking some certain abilities' conditions would flat-out result in death!

Edit: Well, Aohige's posting his summary for the chapter now. Very interesting! It looks like we even get an update on the battle between Fujitora and the shichibukai (which basically reveals that Law got beaten the crap out of offscreen, lol)! But personally, I find Chinjao's dialogue with Luffy fascinating, particularly this part:

Quote:
Chinjao asks what kind of "king" is Luffy desiring to be, with that Conqueror's aura. Luffy answers Pirate King, of course.
The old man replies there are plenty of those with the quality of king in the sea ahead.
The Pirate King is decided by these conqueror haki users clashing for the top.

^Mind you, I think it's pretty much inevitable that the road to Pirate King would ultimately be decided on those with the "king's disposition", but at least it's nice to get some confirmation from the horse's mouth.

Last edited by marvelB; 2013-08-06 at 22:53.
Old 2013-08-07, 01:03   Link #8
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

We will likely see a lot of BAAAH SUPER SAIYAN BARGAIN SALE BAAAAH people who lack the ability to understand context.

We already know influential leaders in this world with qualities of kings often has the Conqueror's disposition.
We've known this since Rayleigh explained it before the time skip.

It's natural that those with qualities of kings are going to be competing for fame, territory, and title of Pirate King in the later half of New World. It's expected.
But that probably won't stop the whining from baaah too many kings baaah people.
Old 2013-08-07, 02:57   Link #9
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Could don chinjao had been part of the Pirate King's, Gold Roger's crew?

We know his crew is alive and well. It wouldn't be too surprising we start seeing them show up in the new world.
Old 2013-08-07, 03:11   Link #10
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
So the people who lost become toys?
Old 2013-08-07, 04:05   Link #11
ragez2010
TamingSari

about the time curfew, maybe all the toy will become human after 12 am?
Old 2013-08-07, 06:53   Link #12
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

seems like the center of this arc will be on colloseum...

this chapter gives two important facts regarding Toy and Dwarfs...

need more chapter... I'm more interested about the Toy
Old 2013-08-07, 07:24   Link #13
ri0

OH MY GOD!
The first two pages until Chinjao's headbutt got me so fired up!! How he described that there are many people out there with the qualities to become king was so thrilling.
"You must become the top of all the conquerors!". And finally words from a guy who is a real beast owning CoC himself!

Though it is a little bit farfetched and more likely that Garp took a lover/familiy member from him, I was wondering if he perhaps stole a body part or a weapon from Chinjao. He said he was called auger or gimlet and with the weird shape of his head I thought that maybe it was shaped differently or he wore something on top of his forehead, which would enhance the power of his headbutts. Subsequently he wasn't able to reach what he wanted

Dressrosa's background story is very interesting. It prompts a lot of questions, so there's much I'm looking forward to. So far this arc is amazing.

As everyone guessed, the factory is beneath the colosseum. So Luffy can wait right where he is till shit's about to hit the fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman
So those that were turned into toys had lost their memories? Lucky for Nami, Chopper, Brook, and Momonosuke haven't lost theirs.
The Sunny Secure Team wasn't turned into toys, they were turned into paintings. Speaking of which, I hope they're doing fine and Momo is secure.

We don't know yet if the toy turning process is also responsible for a memory loss. So far we have seen acquaintances of toys who forgot about their old familiy members or friends and, for example, Rebecca who remembers the toy soldier.
It would be interesting to see if only a few toys remember their past or if they all just put up a masquerade to be near their beloved ones.
Old 2013-08-07, 10:51   Link #14
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ri0 View Post
The Sunny Secure Team wasn't turned into toys, they were turned into paintings. Speaking of which, I hope they're doing fine and Momo is secure.
I'd say they are though I wish Nami would be reverted back to normal sometime soon.
Old 2013-08-07, 14:05   Link #15
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Figures that all the people with conquerer's haki would be fighting it out for king of the pirates. Qinjaop must have really lost something whimsical to Garp. Seems he knows Rayleigh as well, wonder what the connection is.

So humans were turned into toys thanks to a df user. The memory loss might be apart of it, but Rebecca seems to remember for some reason. Maybe breaking those 2 laws would result in getting back to normal.

Law not looking good in that fight.

So the factory is indeed under the coliseum. Now everyone is converging on Luffy. Though with all the marines outside it'll be hard to get in. I guess that's why the toy and Franky are going a different way.
Old 2013-08-07, 14:48   Link #16
marvelB

Come to think of it, didn't Usopp also lie about having 500 men under his command early in the series? Well, I suppose that would make for a nice start before he inevitably gathers another 7500 followers.

Also, I could have swore that Bastille was giant-sized at Marineford, but maybe I was wrong. Right now, he just seems more like those bigger-than-average humans like Whitebeard (or maybe he's a half-giant instead?). Either way, it's great to see more activity from the VAs introduced in Marineford. Maybe we'll see that dalmatian zoan fellow pop up again sometime in the near future, as well.

Otherwise, I don't really have much more to say about the toy stuff (though I found Franky's comment about being half-toy amusing), or Luffy's match. I am pretty interested in that dwarf princess, though. Apparently she's super-irritating, but I doubt that will bother someone like Sanji!

Oh, and I liked the color page, too. Interesting to see that Oda included this arc's allies in this one (Law, Kinemon, Momo). I actually remember him doing that with Luffy's jailbreak team before the skip, as well. I wonder if this means he'll include arc-specific allies in future color pages, as well....?
Old 2013-08-07, 15:42   Link #17
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post

Also, I could have swore that Bastille was giant-sized at Marineford, but maybe I was wrong. Right now, he just seems more like those bigger-than-average humans like Whitebeard (or maybe he's a half-giant instead?). Either way, it's great to see more activity from the VAs introduced in Marineford. Maybe we'll see that dalmatian zoan fellow pop up again sometime in the near future, as well.
back at Marineford, he was portrayed as just being an unusually Large human
Old 2013-08-07, 17:40   Link #18
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrz View Post

On the other hand, I dont think this toy devil fruit is much different than Kage Kage No Mi, which had a pretty much worldwide area of effect with zombies and human shadow owners.
It's Oban holiday as mentioned, besides, we've been told that Oda is on recovery schedule and this seem to be a lingering issue as I've seem fandoms digging up interviews and crosstalk as early as last year noting that Oda has been fighting off/ignoring these health issue. In a crosstalk with Matsumoto Taiyo, an fairly influential mangaka, whom ask Oda on JUMP's hectic schedule and Oda actually said that he has beginning to think that his health might not be able to last to the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
So those that were turned into toys had lost their memories? Lucky for Nami, Chopper, Brook, and Momonosuke haven't lost theirs. If next week is a holiday, lucky for the Japanese to have any holiday in the month of August compared to the other months.
I think you misunderstood. The one lost memories are the regular people not the toys.

Once you got turn into toy, it's the toy's surrounding people who forgot about who the toy was.

The example was used in the chapter is that a father got turn into a toy and his wife and kid mentioned that they never had a husband/father.

But like Marvel said, there seem to be an exception with Robecca and toy solider, if Robecca and toy solider were indeed a couple before the transformation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
We will likely see a lot of BAAAH SUPER SAIYAN BARGAIN SALE BAAAAH people who lack the ability to understand context.

We already know influential leaders in this world with qualities of kings often has the Conqueror's disposition.
We've known this since Rayleigh explained it before the time skip.

It's natural that those with qualities of kings are going to be competing for fame, territory, and title of Pirate King in the later half of New World. It's expected.
But that probably won't stop the whining from baaah too many kings baaah people.
Yeah, I was talking about that a few chapters ago. Oda even gave you a ratio of 1 in million, which means that there are at least 5 from Fishmen and 21 from Alabasta along if we convert using known population.

Besides it's hell a lot more logical that way even in real life like you said.

Some people just seem to like to ignore that.

Anyway, back to chapter

Interesting chapter, like MarvelB the revelation of factory being under colosseum isn't that shocking. The interesting part is the toy transformation and Chinjao's conversation with Luffy.

Speaking of Chinjao, is it me or it seem that Chinjao might actually be on friendly term with Rayleigh than vice versa with that expression when he heard about Rayleigh and his change of behavior from being a revenge seeker to a crybaby brat...

Forget about my theory that Chinjao might be a escaped level 6 prisoner. I'm now thinking that Chinjao might be part of Roger's crew or something like that. considering he also mention another nickname he used to had and seems more found of it than his current nickname. And the treasure he was talking about might either be Roger himself or Ace.

Maybe he was planning on raising Ace himself but Garp took him instead following Roger's will and he blaming Ace's (or Roger's) death on Garp.

I mean toward the latter part of chapter, Chinjao's attitude just seem to change from a pure revenge perspective to a more of "sorry, I just have to do this, think of my perspective" kind of attitude and that change comes when he heard Rayleigh's name.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2013-08-07 at 17:55.
Old 2013-08-07, 18:55   Link #19
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
back at Marineford, he was portrayed as just being an unusually Large human

Yeah, looking back now, I think I confused him with Ronse (that one giant VA that Whitebeard took out). My bad!

Anyway, I wonder if the Tontatta dwarves held captive in the factory were also transformed into toys? These guys seem to generally be a good-natured lot, so it would be ever so sad if Leo and co. failed to recognize their comrades, once they finally discover them.....
Old 2013-08-08, 01:16   Link #20
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
With the King's Haki and the possible reverse, I think not- remember, the New World is full of the most insanely powerful characters this series has/will have to offer. As was stated, the first half of the grand line is called paradise to anyone who's been to the New World. Therefore, anyone who had the title of king or strove to be most likely is far weaker than anyone from the New World, and thus has little chance of having any form of Haki

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Closed Thread