AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2017-07-31, 12:45   Link #1
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Summer 2017: General Impressions thread - post your opinion and grade

Let's talk about the current anime season, Summer 2017!

The intention of the thread is mostly to discuss what's hot and new, but any thoughts on carryovers from previous seasons may be brought up, but do make sure you are talking about the most recent episodes (don't come here to rant about One Piece or Naruto fillers from last year, for example).

Because it is still early, it may be a good idea to express grades in terms of keep/drop/stall if you're unwilling to give a rating at this point, or something like that. I'm more interested in which new shows are your priorities and why.

Previous formats went something like this, but obviously you are free to express your thoughts however you want; your rating can be in terms of letter grades, numerical ratings, facedesks, Chitosefaces, Satelights, Kawamoris, kisekis, etc. Or maybe you don't believe in grades. Your explanations are far more important than what you actually gave out.

Name of Series:
Episodes Watched:
Rating:
Comments:
Status (Keep/drop/stall):

Also, I would ask that any specifics be kept in spoiler tags, please.

Nobody will arrest you for violating any formats or anything so post whatever thoughts and try not to comment on other people too much.
Old 2017-07-31, 15:29   Link #2
Tanuki.
Just another tanuki.

Name of Series: Pikotarou no Lullaby Lu-llaby
Episodes Watched: 1
Rating: Pineapple/10
Comments:
Spoiler for Yeah!:
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Inhale

Name of Series: Mahoujin Guru Guru (Magical Circle)
Episodes Watched: 3
Rating: 7/10
Comments: Charming. Has funny moments, but there's just so much talking (and on-screen text) that it's also a bit exhausting.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep

Name of Series: Tsuredure Children
Episodes Watched: 4
Rating: 8/10
Comments: So cute, so sweet, so romantic, so innocent. And also very funny.
I love this show and enjoy every segment of it.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep

Others:
Mildly positive: Youkai Aparment
Neutral: Aho Girl, Restaurant to Another World
Negative: Classroom of the Elite, Tenshi 3P!, Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS, Fox Spirit Matchmaker, Cleanliness Boy Aoyama-kun

Will check out later / at end of season:
Made in Abyss, Welcome to the Ballroom!, Dive!!
Tanuki. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-30, 23:34   Link #3
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Well, wrapping things up for the season here:

TL;DR…
Summer 2017 final thoughts
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2017-10-01, 10:00   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I put Made in Abyss slightly ahead of Princess Principal because Abyss has the stronger and more serious story. I knew about halfway into Abyss that the story was incomplete because the manga-ka is still publishing volumes. I thought for an anime-original ending it struck a good note. But I was disappointed with the ending for Princess because it's an anime-original story. The ending is so open-ended that you think the producers are hoping for another season.

I understand people's complaints about Bahamut, but again I could see where the story was going about halfway though the season. So again I was prepared for the ending we got. If there is a third season, I think they should go back to the 12-13 episode template.

Meanwhile I watched the second halves of Sakura Quest and Re:Creators. Sakura Quest is a bit behind Shirobako on my scale, but I loved the cast and the realism of the story-telling. I found Re:Creators a bit pretentious overall and thought Hiroe was just creating characters to fill out his representation of popular genres. At base, many of the creations like Blitz, Yuya, or especially Hikayu could have been left out with no loss to the story line. This is another show that might have done better in a 13-week format.

Welcome to the Ballroom is disappointing on a variety of levels (its sexism, still-frame dance sequences, and choice of musical score), but I continue to watch it anyway.

Unlike many observers, I found a lot to watch in Summer, 2017. The profusion of sequels and absence of adult stories makes this fall's season less appealing in advance.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-02, 03:27   Link #5
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I actually dropped RE: Creators early in the first season. I did check back in the second season to see what had changed and from what I saw it actually got worse. I agree with Sensei, they tried to do way too much and somehow it felt like they accomplished very little. To be fair, the show isn't bad. It's just very mediocre. I liked the idea, but the execution left me wanting.

My Hero Academia Season 2 was great. It didn't quite hit the highs of the first season, but it definitely wasn't far behind. The festival and Hero Killer arcs were actually really good, and the anime original episode was solid filler that didn't feel out of place. Most of this season was ground work, further fleshing out the world and characters. I expect this to continue into the next season, which if done right might....well. I'm excited.

Made in Abyss is good enough to stand on its own, but I'll be damned if it didn't hit those nostalgic notes of anime as it was when I got into the hobby. It's a classic dungeon crawler, an adventure with eager young heroes into a place teeming with adversity and mystery. The Abyss itself is a character, and it shows, with an amazing atmosphere filled with wonders....and horrors. It perfectly balances the naivety of the young cast, and the story pulls no punches. Slightly censored compared to the manga, but not by much, this adaptation easily stands next to its manga compatriot proudly. This, so far, is hands down my favorite anime of the year, and I highly recommend it. Season 2 can't come fast enough.

I see a lot of praise for Princess Principal. I'll have to check it out. I didn't see much in the Summer worth looking at, but Fall definitely has some intriguing titles. That's for another thread though.
Old 2017-10-02, 10:47   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Welcome to the Ballroom! has taken a turn for the better in the past couple of weeks, at least in terms of the story line. The still-frames and score still annoy me, but the introduction of Chinatsu at the halfway point makes me think the anime could become less sexist in the second half.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-02, 11:37   Link #7
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Welcome to the Ballroom! is the stand out show of the summer season for me. I hope the second half will be just as good. So far it's great.