AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-09, 08:02   Link #41
A_AQUARE

i totaly agree wit nadare bout death note!!! bout school rumble yeah very nice but i'm kinda dissapointed at season two(anime) but i kinda like the manga(weird?)
Old 2007-04-09, 10:04   Link #42
Super Ska Master

One Piece is overrated crap with terrible character designs, undetailed art, a generic shonen story, and uncool battles. The whole show just bothers me. I can't see why people like it.
Old 2007-04-09, 13:54   Link #43
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Just saw that Gantz had a 8,4 on Mangaupdates.

He's the rant I posted there:
The story isn't lacking there is no story. After 20 volumes you still haven't found anything out. Characters suck 2. The manga does rape your mind. The art is good, but it's not that good. This is for those people into guro and don't want to admit it. This shit is rated higher then Naruto, Living game, Tenjou tenge(hell it's all about the art still better than this), Shaman King, etc. The other manga's made by this aren't much to brag about either.

PS: This should be for little kids who like shiny things, but this is for 16+ so I don't know for who this manga is made.

About One Piece: Well it's pretty standard and nothing mind blowing you gotta admit the comedy is pretty good and it's good enough to keep ya reading.
Old 2007-04-09, 14:09   Link #44
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

As always, there has never been any direct connection between quality and popularity. Crap can be popular, Quality can be popular.

Crap is apt to be popular because of group-think. Everyone else is reading it therefore I must read it so that I fit in. Look! it has T&A!!!! Ooh, boom! No thinking required!

Quality sometimes becomes popular but usually because it has multiple level appeal. Items that require a lot of processing or interpretation have a harder path to popularity. Shows like "300" can be both crap and quality depending on which level you're focusing on (artistic cinematography, mythologic stories, tits, gore, etc.). Shakespeare is considered 'quality' by many but it was originally written for the masses (which says something about today's masses I guess )

Items that should be "for little kids who like shiny things" but with material for "16+" ???? Well, that's why humanity is distributed along a bell curve
Old 2007-04-10, 05:00   Link #45
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

I'll admit I read Gantz because it was appearing on a lot of top 5 lists but what kept me coming back was the main character that I felt was leading the series twards some destination. When he died the series lost all direction and I tend to agree with you that it has assumed the mindless orgy of blood and excess mantle that some have always given it. I keep reading in the hopes that one of our heroes manages to resurect Kurono and bring the story back to something worth reading. Kurono was really well fleshed out over the course of the first 20 volumes and he showed more character growth that many series which are much more venerated for example Naruto and Bleach where instead of character growth we get power ups. The action in Gantz is also quite a bit crisper than in a lot of the other combat oriented series, battles are quick and while they may drag on for a volume or two it is because there are so many enemies not because 2 people are fighting it out and evolving new techniques (which while earthshakingly powerful are woefully inadequate for the next guy around the corner) ala DBZ, Inuyasha and the afformentioned series.

Last edited by Mykas; 2007-06-20 at 07:40.
Old 2007-04-10, 07:23   Link #46
Tatsumiko
*Artist

Ill just go with the same thing i said at worst anime ever....but this time just manga
...the ones I think are great ill actually buy.

enough said.
Old 2007-04-10, 11:18   Link #47
harukamae
だんご大家族の一人

Send a message via MSN to harukamae
I tend to be a shounen action manga fan, but they really dooo draaaag ooon...if the characters are quirky and fun I'll stick with it, otherwise I usually put it down and maybe buy the last manga to see how it all turned out.

I rarely buy manga that claim to be romantic comedies or sometimes one or the other. I find the characters are rarely intriguing or even slightly realistic in terms of personality (example - x character worships y for no reason - hell, she/he could have just met y ten minutes ago and she's/he's already buying y a car!) Another snag I tend to hit is the harem hidden in a romance manga - sorry those just drive me nuts, Love Hina being my biggest manga turn off to that. With comedy, it just sems that the comedy doesn't translate well for me. They make me grin at best, but I feel if a comedy series can't make me laugh out loud, it should have something else to make it worthwhile - a good story or intriguing characters or something. I couldn't get into FLCL.
Old 2007-04-10, 12:31   Link #48
Nervous Venus

I buy at least 300 dollars worth of manga a month. I make some mistakes here and there, and want to stab my eye out for it.

Stuff like:

HONEYMOON SALAD.
II'S.
ICHIGO 100%

I thought AIR GEAR was pretty pointless, too. I don't know why I bought it. Probably because I was expecting something more along the lines of Tenjo Tenge, just toned down. I was hoping he'd ressurect another character like "Maya Natsume", but I was sorely disappointed.
Old 2007-04-13, 23:39   Link #49
Diedrupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I don't know why, but Claymore really annoyed me for some reason. I don't think I like Claire at all. She might as well have been a brick wall in the promo chapter I saw in U.S Shonen Jump Monthly so I never pursued the series in any way. I don't even think I finished the promo.
Yeah I read Claymore recently and thought it was boring. I also think it's very insulting to Berserk that people claim Claymore is like a female Berserk. Claymore is absolutely nothing like Berserk.
Old 2007-06-14, 09:55   Link #50
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

Maison Ikkoku,
I filed this under the topic for that manga as well simply because some people might skip this topic and read that one and I would hate for anyone else to suffer through such a cruddy manga.
I have got to say that if you spend money on this you will most likely regret it deeply if you have ever read any other similar manga. for example ai yori aoshi or love hina. The art is really really bad and the story plays out very disjointedly skipping events and then refering to them as if they were something the reader saw, as well as playing for laughs in the worst possible way. I found myself disliking most of the characters before ever finishing volume 1. All I can say is I am extremely glad I only lost time and not money on this terrible manga. for the record I hate this womans art in general, inuyasha and ranma 1/2 are just as bad.
Old 2007-06-14, 17:53   Link #51
Super Ska Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post
Death Note... first half was good... After the L VS Raito arc Death Note just plain sucked...

Ichigo 100%... Ending sucked... The ending would've been fine if the author didnt drag it for so long while heavily hinting an aya ending =/.

complex(shoujo)... Didnt like the story...

Violenist of Hameln... The first volume was bad... turned out good midway... got draggy by 20+ volumes

hmm... I"S wasnt that bad. the main character was sort of believable IMHO. And, you get to see him grow throughout the manga.
May I ask WHY you think the 2nd half of Death Note was bad? Honestly, I liked some of the parts of the second arc more than the first. The Yotsoba arc was kind of boring, especially compared to the millitary assaults, two pronged attacks, and many other things that filled the second arc.

Old 2007-06-14, 18:14   Link #52
Shadow Miko
ASuki's #1 Virgillia fan~

Scrapped Princess. Ugh! The novel is better.

WAS Hanyuu's biggest fangirl, my heart belongs to Virgillia now. <3 Loli Salad - A blog of epic-proportions!
Old 2007-06-14, 20:04   Link #53
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

Having finally finished it I have to agree about death note, probably not for the same reasons as everyone else. This was a manga where the bad/good guy(depends on how you see kira)should have won. the ending reminded me of an old episode of get smart where it was always a contest of oneupsmanship on who had outsmarted who, and was just about as cheesy as that show as well.
Old 2007-06-18, 10:08   Link #54
Fragment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykas View Post
Having finally finished it I have to agree about death note, probably not for the same reasons as everyone else. This was a manga where the bad/good guy(depends on how you see kira)should have won. the ending reminded me of an old episode of get smart where it was always a contest of oneupsmanship on who had outsmarted who, and was just about as cheesy as that show as well.
I realized that I was simply reading the manga because I was waiting for L to win. Unfortunately for me, that was not to be. I stopped reading after L died.
Old 2007-06-18, 14:30   Link #55
Mad_Baka

Send a message via AIM to Mad_Baka
to be honest i've haven't ran into a lot of manga that really makes me go "urg i hate this"
i take it for what it is (but anime im very judgmental)

theres has been one releases that left a bad taste in my mouth

-Dolls

i didn't get it was all over the place and i want to see the end of TOKKO but thats just hate for the creator
Old 2007-06-20, 00:49   Link #56
Diedrupo

Quote:
Yep, I hated Death Note's ending too. The only way I would have enjoyed Death Note's ending is if Raito lived somehow (dont care if the rest lived or died). That ending killed an otherwise excellent manga for me.
Old 2007-06-20, 23:11   Link #57
angela21

hmm

i can say that i never really liked DN Angel. that was kind of a waste of money. well i liked the mysterious Dark but that little obsession was transient.

i absolutely dislike serious mangas where the explanations are bogus. like DN Angel.. they were dumb. that just ruins the whole story.

oh and also Chobits. the deeper meaning was ... ludicrous.
Old 2007-06-21, 02:30   Link #58
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Maison Ikkoku,
I filed this under the topic for that manga as well simply because some people might skip this topic and read that one and I would hate for anyone else to suffer through such a cruddy manga.
I have got to say that if you spend money on this you will most likely regret it deeply if you have ever read any other similar manga. for example ai yori aoshi or love hina. The art is really really bad and the story plays out very disjointedly skipping events and then refering to them as if they were something the reader saw, as well as playing for laughs in the worst possible way. I found myself disliking most of the characters before ever finishing volume 1. All I can say is I am extremely glad I only lost time and not money on this terrible manga. for the record I hate this womans art in general, inuyasha and ranma 1/2 are just as bad.
I see your point (I found myself unable to finish M.I. as well though I did force myself through 5 books) but we have to keep in mind that this is a fairly *old* manga, in some ways the ancestor of manga like A.Y.A., LH, or even Mahoraba: Heartful Days. The humor in M.I. is 'primitive' (the surrounding characters very unlikeable by present standards) -- the core story isn't so bad (the romance between the two main characters) but, to me, at least - M.I. is mostly interesting from a historical perspective rather than actually entertaining. The art isn't bad so much as reflective of the art style of that time period (fat cheek, big chin --- Speed Racer style of the pre-mid1990s).

Other series that a lot of people like that I found myself unable to finish:
Mahoromatic (the teacher just completely destroyed any enjoyment I was getting out of Mahoro's bittersweet story)
Girls Bravo (just lame lame lame, where's the motivation for the characters here?)
I"s Pure (I think Ichigo 100% jinxed this genre for me.... I just didn't believe in what was going on)
Ichigo 100% (interesting premise, possibly the worst execution of a spiraling death orbit with a 1d4 roll ending)
Kare Kano ( I *should* LIKE this series, its the kind of stuff I like. I started it like 5 times .... I just couildn't connect with the characters)
Pastel (see I's Pure and Ichigo 100% .... I think I've had it with this sub-genre. Pastel and I"s did sport some *great* artwork though)

Not a "worst" list of any sort, but they just didn't work for me at all.
Old 2007-06-21, 11:23   Link #59
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

I actually ended up finishing Maison Ikkoku because the people on that board took exception to me hating it after just one voume they claimed it got better. To make a long story short it didn't. I had a long discussion about why MI sucked with them (feel free to check out the MI board if you wanna see me in a verbal war with 4 or 5 guys) It just never gets better and the supporting cast never grows in any way.
Old 2007-06-21, 12:54   Link #60
Tatakae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I see your point (I found myself unable to finish M.I. as well though I did force myself through 5 books) but we have to keep in mind that this is a fairly *old* manga, in some ways the ancestor of manga like A.Y.A., LH, or even Mahoraba: Heartful Days.
Yes and no. Many of todays well-known shounen comedy romances are influenced by MI in some area or another, but they're usually not striving for the kind of slice of life reality or social satire MI is famous for. That's one of the main differences between a seinen manga like MI and shounen romances. Other similar manga like MI would be Hoshisato Mochiru's "Living Game" (1991-1994) or Hara Hidenori's "Fuyu monogatari" (1987-89).

Quote:
The humor in M.I. is 'primitive' (the surrounding characters very unlikeable by present standards) --
I do like Yotsuya's antics very much but I'd never change with Godai. Yotsuya & co. are sometimes really mean
Closed Thread