Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2007-12-19, 14:01   Link #61
killer3000ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
i can't watch anymore O.O;
even with people syaing that it isn't THAt bad... i stilld isagree.. i hate dubs!
Thankfully someone youtubed it ->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQr4bWaVWD8
Old 2007-12-19, 16:25   Link #62
hirahira
a duck is fine too

They ruined C.C. and Lulu ;_;

They definitely picked the wrong voice actors for those two

The rest don't seem any worse than usual from what I heard but I don't really care about them anyway
Old 2007-12-19, 22:11   Link #63
chrisbad726

C.C. voice is going to suck more than Lulu
chrisbad726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 01:02   Link #64
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirahira View Post
They ruined C.C. and Lulu ;_;

They definitely picked the wrong voice actors for those two

The rest don't seem any worse than usual from what I heard but I don't really care about them anyway
I don't think his "Well then" says enough about how well or not he'll do.

Last edited by Asrialys; 2007-12-20 at 03:25. Reason: I was a bit rude.
Asrialys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 10:33   Link #65
Lois Lein

Dubbing of Code Geass...
Smal Lulu's voice - chibi
Big Lulu's voice - vampire
Suzaku - expected better
C.C. - Sakura. And before I didn't see her seyu.

Dubbing - it's evil!
Lois Lein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 16:33   Link #66
CJL13
God of his own ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois Lein View Post
Dubbing of Code Geass...
Smal Lulu's voice - chibi
Big Lulu's voice - vampire
Suzaku - expected better
C.C. - Sakura. And before I didn't see her seyu.

Dubbing - it's evil!
No. It's commercialization.
CJL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 01:05   Link #67
nuaythebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
I don't think his "Well then" says enough about how well or not he'll do.
But from most of the comments here, I guess it is enough for them. How Amazing!!
nuaythebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 03:09   Link #68
Meatrose
Antihero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuaythebest View Post
But from most of the comments here, I guess it is enough for them. How Amazing!!
You're right about that, hearing him say those two words is not enough to dismiss him as a bad VA, that's for sure. Nevertheless, you don't really need more than that to get a first impression of his voice, and I think it is safe to assume that those who complain find it less fitting than Fukuyama's voice in the original dub.

Anyhow, those who think that using subtitles compromises the experience can use the dub, and those who, like me, feels that all dubs completely ruin the characters of the show can watch the sub (if needed of course). These differences would've been a problem if we were still in the age of the VHS, but let's all hail the DVD!

Or well, I can't say that I know very much about how this all worked back when the VHS was "still alive". Sure, I grew up watching VHS obviously given how old I am, but I didn't start watching anime until we were well into the DVD era. I'm sure there's a bunch of people here who were into anime back then... did the VHS-releases include both? (For instance... the first half would be the dub, and the second half would be the same episodes/movie, but in Japanese with subtitles)

That last thing might be a bit off topic, but I tend to get carried away by curiosity.
Old 2007-12-21, 04:20   Link #69
Marioshinobi
The Traitor

Location: Burnaby, British columbia, Canada, Earth, Milky way Galaxy
Send a message via MSN to Marioshinobi
You guys seem to forget that Fukuyama was a surprising actor to be Lelouch, people assumed the Va's for Lelouch and Suzaku were to be switched because Fuku seems a more Suzu char and has a voice for such a char.

It's been noted..*damn forgot this, but some interview* that the director had told Fukuyama to be more lower in his voice and evil. While in trade he told Suzu's VA to be more cheerful and happier.

It's the same for Yuri and Johnny; I expected Yuri to be Lelouch due to his .Hack//GU Haseo voice and Johnny's Nero from Devil may cry 4, he's much more cheerful than Lelouch is.

Personally I think the US is trying to hope for similar miracle to happen by making voice actors play opposite parts.

Marioshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 04:24   Link #70
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioshinobi View Post
You guys seem to forget that Fukuyama was a surprising actor to be Lelouch, people assumed the Va's for Lelouch and Suzaku were to be switched because Fuku seems a more Suzu char and has a voice for such a char.

It's been noted..*damn forgot this, but some interview* that the director had told Fukuyama to be more lower in his voice and evil. While in trade he told Suzu's VA to be more cheerful and happier.

It's the same for Yuri and Johnny; I expected Yuri to be Lelouch due to his .Hack//GU Haseo voice and Johnny's Nero from Devil may cry 4, he's much more cheerful than Lelouch is.

Personally I think the US is trying to hope for similar miracle to happen by making voice actors play opposite parts.
My understanding, as others have mentioned before, is that both these characters are deep down, the opposite of who they want to be seen as. The voice actors were suppose to be uncomfortable in playing roles that are in opposition to their usual jobs, in the same way the characters themselves are trying to defy their own nature.
Old 2007-12-21, 10:22   Link #71
ascencion
superb material

yea i agree with what they're doing with lelouch and suzaku's VA's and hopefully a similar happens with the dubs

but i prefer subs by far (please dont kill me). im not saying dubs suck but my problem, as it has been stated before, is the lack of emotion if you will. the voices for dubs arent horrible themselves (in general).

i dont think the dub will be bad...except CC's voice >_>
ascencion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 10:24   Link #72
Sirth
Command of the Revenants

Send a message via AIM to Sirth Send a message via MSN to Sirth
... Fine, you know what? Forget it. I can't possibly look dub-haters in the eyes anymore. Obviously I'm a lesser creature, because I appreciate my first language. I'm someone that probably delves more into Japanese culture than the rest of you, and despite some aspects, I still appreciate my own, including the damn language.

You see, THAT is the flak I give the sub-watching community. Because a good portion of them look DOWN on the R1 community. Judgmental til the end of days, making us lowly "English speakers" feel like criminals, and all our R1 DVDs with an English track illegal paraphernalia, and our fan subs the only way to watch it.

I tell you right now, I have seen Yuri and Bosch several times, and they are skilled. We are looking at a good dub, done at least by the same company that did Cowboy-freaking-Bebop, which people herald as BETTER than the original. So it WILL be good, or at least DECENT.

And no, don't bother with any "Oh, let me prove you wrong," because you're just trying to tell me I'm a moron because I, God forbid, watch my TV shows in English.
Sirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 11:09   Link #73
nuaythebest

Before this topic is going to be dub VS sub,I want to point out something. Dub is an option for anyone who prefer English or anyone who do not like reading sub. while they are watching. It is not an evil work and it can not ruin anything in an anime. It is an option which can turn on if you like or turn off if you feel that it suck. If you really hate it just turn it off with your remote and it won't take anything more than 1 touch at audio button. In fact, some company already select Japanese track as their first audio option, so you don't need to do anything. And for god sake, read the first post in this topic.

Quote:
This thread is for the discussion of English Voice Actors in the R1 release of Code Geass.

Please do not use this thread to whinge and whine that you do not like any sort of English dub. No one is forcing you to listen to the dub so if you do not like it then simply listen to the Japanese track and turn the subtitles on.

Please remember these simple rules when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:

* Don't take it personally.
In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.

* Voice Actors are humans.
Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to flame praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
nuaythebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 12:31   Link #74
FireChick

I agree with you Sirth. I'm able to stand ANY dub of any show, even by 4Kids and Nelvana (trust me, I've watched dubs WAAAAY before I watched in japanese). I don't mind how bad a dub of a show turns out.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 16:21   Link #75
Marioshinobi
The Traitor

Location: Burnaby, British columbia, Canada, Earth, Milky way Galaxy
Send a message via MSN to Marioshinobi
America just doesn't take the series too seriously like Jap voice actors do, I think.

Other than DBZ which was actually pretty good; most other series fail in comparison.

But yah, imagining yourself in a room and trying to act serious about a cartoon is somewhat embarrassing to most.

But there's good voice actors like Yuri and Johnny, I expect much from them at least. CC and Kallen well....I need to CC's scold lelouch and Kallen to act all weak and then strong before I make any judgments on them.

I want my Orange...

ALL HAIL BRITANNIA

Marioshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 18:58   Link #76
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioshinobi View Post
America just doesn't take the series too seriously like Jap voice actors do, I think.

Other than DBZ which was actually pretty good; most other series fail in comparison.
You mean a dub that completely changed lines on a regular basis, changed the music, and used the same actor for god knows how many roles is better than the much more accurate dubs of today? Unless you're talking about the Ocean Dub, which still suffered from heavier editing and different music.
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 19:58   Link #77
Var
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
You mean a dub that completely changed lines on a regular basis, changed the music, and used the same actor for god knows how many roles is better than the much more accurate dubs of today? Unless you're talking about the Ocean Dub, which still suffered from heavier editing and different music.
That's more of a fault of the American idea of what is appropriate for people (read: children) to watch. The word kill is a rare thing in anime that has been dubbed, always replaced by destroy. It's quite sad really and idiotic at the same time. Do they really think their children are that impressionable? Ooh ooh he said kill!

Moving on...

The dubbing that I heard from that ever so breif and undisclosing clip was actually not bad at all. C.C.'s voice is fine, get off your high horses of "I only do subs, I'm better than you" and listen to more than five seconds of speech before dismissing something as trash. Also try to look at dubbing objectively, not everyone is as priveleged or willing/wishing to watch subs. Hell, most people watch TV so that they don't have TO READ. Try hearing the subs from the ears of someone who hasn't heard the japanese seyu.

So far, so good. Will I watch dubbed? Probably. I want to see what they do with the voices and since it will be on DVD I don't have to worry about Toonami bullshit. I'll have my Japanese DVD's right next to my American DVD's and alternate as I see fit.
Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 20:24   Link #78
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Var View Post
That's more of a fault of the American idea of what is appropriate for people (read: children) to watch. The word kill is a rare thing in anime that has been dubbed, always replaced by destroy. It's quite sad really and idiotic at the same time. Do they really think their children are that impressionable? Ooh ooh he said kill!
No it's not. If it's dubbed by 4Kids or back in the day you have a point. But most of the anime currently being aired on CN has kill. Naruto has kill (and "destroy" censoring is removed in the Uncut boxset), DBZ has kill, Funi's One Piece dub has kill, and all of Adult Swims' stuff has kill. I've heard it millions of times with anime dubs that don't get a TV airing.

Though the editing is rather interesting when compared to what the comic book movies Toonami aired got away with.
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 21:07   Link #79
Var
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
No it's not. If it's dubbed by 4Kids or back in the day you have a point. But most of the anime currently being aired on CN has kill. Naruto has kill (and "destroy" censoring is removed in the Uncut boxset), DBZ has kill, Funi's One Piece dub has kill, and all of Adult Swims' stuff has kill. I've heard it millions of times with anime dubs that don't get a TV airing.

Though the editing is rather interesting when compared to what the comic book movies Toonami aired got away with.
I was refering to back in the day. I did later go to say that since it will be in DVD I won't have to worry about Toonami's bull. I know that DVDs are not censored and they shouldn't be. The word kill is also simply an example, be it outdated, of people worrying about 'exposing' their children to bad things. Its all over todays media and it makes its way into anime.

DBZ from when it originally aired never had kill in it. It was always destroy. The uncut boxsets may have it but I don't have the uncut boxsets, hell I don't own anything DBZ related. Hell, even blood was usually removed from the show and others that aired during that time.

That which is aired on Adult Swim is hardly a time when children watch and as such suffers little editing but it is still edited from the DVD version. Pretty sure, as an example, Blood+ suffered a pretty big editing on the rape scene but then I'm not a fan of the show so I don't fully remember.

And, yes it is in part a matter of overly aggresive sensorship. It has begun to wane in its prevelence but shows still recieve sensorships in the forms of age ratings (13+, 15+, etc..).
Shows which are of the lower brackets, usually for children to watch, are usually pretty poorly dubbed and are usually sensored to remove things that are in one country perfectly fine while evil in another.

Anime has also just only recently caught on as something 'big' for the American machine to gouge money off of. Therein, the amount of quality dubbing will probably increase and it is not so surprising that the quality was poorer (and less funded) in the past.
Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 02:24   Link #80
Deathwing
what do i know

why is it always the same 20 people doing English dubs (they must have one kick ass union)
I kinda wish they could introduce some new names or use real actors. oh well i can still dream
Deathwing is offline   Reply With Quote