AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 101 43.35%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 62 26.61%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 43 18.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 7.30%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.72%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.29%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-09, 10:26   Link #401
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Ehh, my bad. I thought we were talking about the pace/momentum of the discussion. Whoops.
Eh, wait, now that I actually read the original post, you might be right. Orz. My bad
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 10:43   Link #402
Aqua Knight

Holy hell, already 400 replies!!
Even Fate/Zero episode 1 didn't have so many replies.

So there will be 2 seasons of the show each 13 eps?
Old 2012-07-09, 10:44   Link #403
Deltaray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Knight View Post

2 cour yes, episode count is still unclear.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 10:59   Link #404
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Knight View Post

2 seasons, yes, but it probably won't be split like fate/zero or horizon
Old 2012-07-09, 11:09   Link #405
hero147

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
2 seasons, yes, but it probably won't be split like fate/zero or horizon
I'm pretty sure it will.

Wonder if SAO will surpass Code Geass in the number of replies it gets at the end.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 11:11   Link #406
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
I'm pretty sure it will.

Wonder if SAO will surpass Code Geass in the number of replies it gets at the end.
Pretty sure it'll be split, or pretty sure it'll won't be split? Sorry, got confused.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 11:12   Link #407
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
This is what Accel World wishes it could be. I watched only one episode so far, and I already love it.
The animation was beautiful and the backgrounds were simply gorgeous.The characters design looked exactly like in the novel.

As a MMO player myself, I find the premise terrifying, especially since I'm such a bad gamer.
What hyped to the high heavens after only one episode? Somehow I doubt it. Accel World is similar but kind it's own thing anyway. And the character designs definitely don't look like the novel ones do, similar to how Accel World's are kind of different. This shows character designs look like the usual A-1 character design style fitted for SAO. Look at iDOLM@STER or Fairy Tail and you'll see a lot of similarities. The backgrounds on the other hand are indeed pretty nice, but as I said I'm kind of growing used to seeing that sort of style so I'm a little less wowed by it these days. I'd say background art in general is starting to get as good as it was in the early 90's again when watercolor backgrounds reigned and artists put a lot of effort and detail into them.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it will.

What is this a competition now? Seriously? Take it from a guy that was there for Code Geass, you don't want to emulate that subforum in any way.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 11:38   Link #408
Jerseykid

I want to play SAO right now!!!!!

without the death penalty of course

Kirito is one in a million btw, mmorpg beta vets would never spend one second to stop for a day 1 newbie
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 11:55   Link #409
hero147

Quote:
Pretty sure it'll be split, or pretty sure it'll won't be split? Sorry, got confused.
It will be split.

[mod edit: removed this conversation tangent from this thread]

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-09 at 16:07.
Old 2012-07-09, 12:02   Link #410
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
What hyped to the high heavens after only one episode? Somehow I doubt it. Accel World is similar but kind it's own thing anyway. And the character designs definitely don't look like the novel ones do, similar to how Accel World's are kind of different. This shows character designs look like the usual A-1 character design style fitted for SAO. Look at iDOLM@STER or Fairy Tail and you'll see a lot of similarities.
At least the designs shifted enough that it no longer feels like the cast of Working!! stepped into a fantasy world.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 12:22   Link #411
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
It will be split.
Really? Source? People said the same thing about AW..
Old 2012-07-09, 12:35   Link #412
Ray
Garnet

Ehm, this is a SAO discussion thread, not a SAO and AW comparison thread. It was fine comparing the technological sides of the two stories, but this is getting way out of hand.. Can we stop, please?

But really, I wonder where the rumor that SAO will be split cour came from? Last we heard it wasn't split..
Old 2012-07-09, 12:36   Link #413
kyp275
Meh

[mod edit: removed this conversation tangent]

Quote:
But really, I wonder where the rumor that SAO will be split cour came from? Last we heard it wasn't split..
Oh hell no, it'd better not be split!

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-09 at 16:07.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 12:38   Link #414
ninja_pintu

Quote:
I don't think its split. ANN specifically stated that its going to run for 6 months this year.
Old 2012-07-09, 13:43   Link #415
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_pintu View Post
I don't think its split. ANN specifically stated that its going to run for 6 months this year.
ANN isn't exactly a trustworthy source, since their information are mostly second-hand.

I'll wait for the number of volumes of the blu-rays to be announced (of which I'm seriously getting tempted to order), or word from the author/production committee themselves. But since an extremely plotwise-late cast member has already been announced, it stands to reason that it won't be a split-season affair.
Old 2012-07-09, 13:52   Link #416
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I was very impressed with this 1st episode =03. There wasn't much in the way of action, but what they did show, including how attacking works and such(the Kirito/Klein tutorial moment) was really an exceptional way for viewers to understand how the game operates. The logic Kirito had about heading to the next town in anticipation of the resources getting low around the main hub, as well as NOT being a hero and sticking with Klein is just storytelling at its finest (^,^)! The music was great, animation smooth and colorful, story intriguing, and Kirito's perspective of everything was interesting and enjoyable to watch. This'll prob be THEE anime of the season for me at this rate.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 14:16   Link #417
Lumir

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstormCaT View Post
From a gamers perspective it might not seem impossible. HOWEVER! try throwing in a few human reaction at the face of mortal danger and it no longer be easy.

Sometimes bad things happen. Imagine fighting, say an orc for example. The moment you mess up, you'll get knocked down from it's attack, then without waiting for you to stand up, it'll try to hack and slash you while you still in the ground. Most people, even veterans would panic at this point, which potentially resulted in death.
Then there's the chance of you getting ganked while fighting, pulling more than one opponents. Can you fight evenly while keeping an eye on two enemies that would not hesitate to kill you? And this is seen through your perspective. Seeing an axe slashing at you from screen is much easier than seeing it happening in front of your eyes.
And since there's no healing magic, restoring hp in combat is a bit problematic, so every hit taken will drain your precious hp bar.

Your idea of playing it safe does have some merit in theory. But unfortunately... I don't think I'm allowed to tell you about it now. Wait a few more eps I guess.

I lol'd
True. But in this kind of situation your first step (one you must overcome to survive) is to overcome your fear of mortality. Some people could simply over come it, and others could simply set their minds into thinking this is just a game regardless of what they were told. Either way when you die you die.

As for people learning how to fight, that should be easy with your first few sessions of combat. You can either observe others while they learn, or ask the beta players for advice like whats his name did. Even though its in your prospective you are still in a game with game like features, utilizing them to their fullest is a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
Would it be safe to say that thanks to how combat works in SAO, players who happen to have some real life training (i.e. martial arts, survival skills, etc ) would have a greater advantage over those that don't?
The only thing you bring to this game is your mental capacities since its not your real body moving, its your mind moving your avatar in the game. This is why hardcore gamers and people with intense mental experience (through RL combat or other) would have an edge in this game. The gamers mentality speaks for itself, and the RL combat experience gives those people tactics, concepts of physics, and control of their emotions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykid View Post
I want to play SAO right now!!!!!

without the death penalty of course

Kirito is one in a million btw, mmorpg beta vets would never spend one second to stop for a day 1 newbie
Lol me too! I also wondered why he didnt just teach that guy through chat rather then actually show him. Most beta players during full release of a game rush to the new content or to were they were last. Sometimes grouping up with others that they met in the beta. Then again all types of people play games and even some that play in a the beta dont have the mentality of rushing through the game, some take their time and enjoy everything about it. Then again after hearing about the mortality through the game our main hero correctly decides to rush to the next area. I say it was correct due to him explaining how resources are limited. Usually in an MMO things like exp and zenny/gil/mesta/cash/ect are nearly unlimited.

Either way in any MMO grouping up and working as a team is best and sometimes required. Really cant wait to see more.
Old 2012-07-09, 14:24   Link #418
ninja_pintu

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
ANN isn't exactly a trustworthy source, since their information are mostly second-hand.

I'll wait for the number of volumes of the blu-rays to be announced (of which I'm seriously getting tempted to order), or word from the author/production committee themselves. But since an extremely plotwise-late cast member has already been announced, it stands to reason that it won't be a split-season affair.
Their source was Dengeki though. They(ANN) must be pretty sure since they posted it in news section.

But yeah! BD number will seal the deal
Old 2012-07-09, 15:43   Link #419
hero147

Quote:

I'm sure I heard it somewhere...I might be mistaken and I can't find a source for the announcement of a split-cours. Might've been my imagination then.
Old 2012-07-09, 16:10   Link #420
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I'm sure I heard it somewhere...I might be mistaken and I can't find a source for the announcement of a split-cours. Might've been my imagination then.
So far, all signs point to this being a two-cour show just like Accel World is (which, as was pointed out, somehow also got the strange rumour of being split even after the BDs were announced). This is an Aniplex show, so we're unlikely to get a complete solicitation for all the BDs right away, but we should have some amount of confirmation within the next few weeks.

Speaking of those two shows, I moved a bunch of posts to a new Sword Art Online / Accel World Connections & Comparisons thread, so if you really want to compare/contrast the two works by this author, you may do so in that thread. But do keep in mind that, after one episode of this show, it's probably too soon to draw too many conclusions.

Tags
sci-fi, shonen