AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 13
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 69 46.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 48 32.21%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 20 13.42%
7 out of 10 : Good... 7 4.70%
6 out of 10 : Average... 1 0.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 2 1.34%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 1 0.67%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 1 0.67%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-30, 13:20   Link #161
Key Board
Carbon

I honestly don't remember what he said beyond that

1)their real bodies are being taken cared of in the outside world
2)if you die in this game, you die in real life. If you try to take off the helmet, you also die.
3)reach the top of the tower and everyone will be freed.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 13:23   Link #162
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Due to the inherent aspect of VRMMORPG, mental assistance isn't surprising, but absolutely not compulsory at all.
Well, it's described as if it was compulsory.

Yui was part of the system that keep the balance of the game, so obviously for the people who created the game, the mental care of the players did affect the balance.

I don't know exactly how that would work. Maybe it has to do with the fact that this isn't just a normal MMO, but VRMMO. Maybe there's more stress build-up for that reason and that makes it necessary to have a system like Yui in place. I don't know.
Old 2012-09-30, 13:35   Link #163
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post

Yui was part of the system that keep the balance of the game, so obviously for the people who created the game, the mental care of the players did affect the balance.

I don't know exactly how that would work. Maybe it has to do with the fact that this isn't just a normal MMO, but VRMMO. Maybe there's more stress build-up for that reason and that makes it necessary to have a system like Yui in place. I don't know.
Mental health would not have an effect on the game's balance, Kayaba probably only made her to get past some red tape to get the game released, then blocked her from doing her job once he got the game off the ground as she was deemed unneccessary.

Look at it his way:
Would a player have a higher strength stat from being mentally unstable?
Would they move any faster?
Would ANY of their character's parameters be higher from simply being unstable?

The answer is no.

Granted they might attack and fight eratically, but that's not any different then how most noobs/newbies fight anyway. We've all seen the button masher types.

It's my speculation that Kayaba had no intention of Yui ever doing her job period. She was just there so that he could tell the "moral guardians"

"If anything goes wrong with the players, we have an on-site Mental & Emotional Support for them."
Metaneo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 13:40   Link #164
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
It was never described as mandatory at all. Even Yui herself states Cardinal is responsible for the Ai of monsters, NPC, items etc. And only afterwards she mentions Cardinal, the system as whole, controls every programs, -which- includes the mental counciling one.
Quote:
No, you didn't get the term used. The balance of the game is controlled by Cardinal which is the whole system that controls -everything- in SAO. It never states that Cardinal only takes care of that.

A system can controls several things at the same time, and one of the aspect of it is the balance of the game, and another aspect of it is the player mental care.
Quote:
It would be the same as the usual health controls used for games (such like age restriction, epilepsy warning etc). However, again, this aspect of game is -not- part of game balance.

You are confonding Cardinal role as only one, despite it is a whole that includes 2 different aspects of SAO.
Old 2012-09-30, 14:05   Link #165
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
You are confonding Cardinal role as only one, despite it is a whole that includes 2 different aspects of SAO.
The thing is that those two roles are interconnected.

Spoiler for Morning Dew Girl:
Old 2012-09-30, 14:48   Link #166
Bahamut
...lost in nothingness...

...loved the way they introduced the boss on the roof jumping down then sent the 2 guys flying off and before disappearing...
...that slow-mo moment with Heathcliff guarding its attack then reverting back to normal with the other scythe quickly finishing off the other guy...
...and then when Kirito was guarding but was forced down to one knee...
...with the music in sync made the boss very persuasive as a BAM battle...

...although a fully rendered fight was be nice and all...still shots with some movement at key moments can bring out the main focus across filtering out unesscessary dragged-on fights...
...i prefer quick epic moments than pro-longed frustration...unless it is the final stage i dont mind...
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 16:17   Link #167
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
The thing is that those two roles are interconnected.

Spoiler for Morning Dew Girl:
Spoiler for answer:
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 16:22   Link #168
tsunade666

wow, they went all out on the battle with their budget.
Old 2012-09-30, 17:01   Link #169
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

^ Actually, the budget was more or less the same than Episode 2. Skull Reaper is obviously rendered in CGI (which isn't too odd, as it is a VRMMORPG after all), but all the textbook budget cut for animation etc is there, including the awkward camera. At least the directing made up for the awkward animation.
Gleam Eyes battle has the better budget, even though it still has a lot left to be desired.
Old 2012-09-30, 17:31   Link #170
HandofFate

The last few minutes of SAO 13 was pretty good.

I feel bad for the nameless grunts that just kept getting one-shoted T_T

I liked that during the whole honeymoon time, Asuna was the always the one to step out in front and beat people up while Kirito just stood back. Guess Asuna just likes doing it.
Old 2012-09-30, 18:53   Link #171
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

the rest of the episode was a lot of stills, except for the fishing, so its only understandable that they're spending on the big battle.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 19:30   Link #172
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
the rest of the episode was a lot of stills, except for the fishing, so its only understandable that they're spending on the big battle.
I just hope they're saving that spending for the rest of the battle next episode, just hope that the cliffhanger isn't how they are gonna end the fight.

Speaking of the next episode, the title is rather ominous "End of the World."

End of what world? SAO world? seems a bit early for that since we're on floor 75, and I'd hate to see that much of a time skip.

End of someone's world? Kirito or Asuna die? Ending one of their "worlds?"
Metaneo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 20:41   Link #173
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post
I just hope they're saving that spending for the rest of the battle next episode, just hope that the cliffhanger isn't how they are gonna end the fight.

End of what world? SAO world? seems a bit early for that since we're on floor 75, and I'd hate to see that much of a time skip.

Think positive. If they'll do that, I'll drop this!!!

The scene where Kirito wants to stop Asuna from joining the "party" is very much emotional. I understand both of them. But still, like any game, the SAO is ain't forever...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 21:30   Link #174
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
If one of them dies, I'll cut myself!! DX

........but I don't think the writer would do that....not like this is Gainax or Sunrise
Old 2012-09-30, 22:42   Link #175
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Kirito's comment was limited to the game play, not the overall situation -- in other words, the parts controlled by Cardinal and not directly by Kayaba. Cardinal might be tough, but it's not going to stop them from completing the game by spawning infinite mobs outside the a boss chamber, or setting a trap that can only be escaped if one player kills another.
All good and excellent points. Except it wouldn't matter and give me any comfort if my brain is fried, would it? I wasn't really addressing what Kirito meant as fair, nor was I contesting whether the game itself is fair or not. My point was, in the end it doesn't matter, neither attacking nor defending the fairness of it makes much sense.

For example, go and tell a deceased victim's family and good luck explaining how the game was fair and balanced. I would applaud them for not slapping you immediately (not 'you' specifically, I'm making a general statement).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard
It's important to keep in mind that the situation when Kirito made that statement, vs. today is rather different. I doubt he'd make such a statement if asked about it now.
I'd say the underlying situation never really changes, but rather Kirito's pov does. Initially despite realizing the death game being real Kirito still takes the gamer approach and pov to SAO, most probably because he's exceedingly confident in his gaming skills (I'm reminded of how someone mentioned Kirito similar to Keima in the character thread, maybe this was what he meant. They're both confident in their ways such that they cling to it). Now, he has found something much more important than that, in Asuna.
Old 2012-09-30, 22:55   Link #176
Sefveron

That boss is horrifying! and to think its only floor 75... but then again maybe the next boss will be easier, 75 may be a landmark sort of dungeon... but i shudder to think that the boss's follow the 90/10 rule of power... if that were so the final 10 bosses would have 90% of all the battle power.

But then again im only quoting how wealth is distributed in the real world so :P
Sefveron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 23:07   Link #177
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post

"End of the World" has a lot of different meanings

Since this Floor 75 boss, could be defeating this boss will single a darker turn on the SAO world. Maybe Monster could now enter towns.
Old 2012-09-30, 23:10   Link #178
dark998

Skullreaper is simply too tough, Illfang and Gleameyes can't compare. Insane speed, attack and defense. Also, that overwhelming feeling of despair when it already has killed many and has not lost even 1/10 of its first HP bar.

This fight better continue in the next episode, would be disappointing if Kirito and Asuna cross attack is the last we see of it.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 23:51   Link #179
Tom Bombadil

Nice PS Job.

Spoiler for NSFW:
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 00:21   Link #180
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Maybe Monster could now enter towns.
It's funny, after seeing this episode I was imagining if a boss of this power managed to get into a town. Massacre ensues.

It's unfortunate, but members of the Red Shirt Brigade were needed to show just how deadly this boss is. No idea how the main characters are going to defeat it, or who will survive. By the way, maybe I missed it, but why is the chef guy there, and not in his shop? Perhaps a sign that they're running out of strong players?

Also, I guess my (unspoken) theory regarding just how much time they're actually spending in the game is debunked by Asuna talking about how everyone acting strange, laying down in the streets as their bodies were being moved. I was sort of guessing, especially since we weren't shown anything (no people suddenly de-rezzing as their helmets were removed) that perhaps their time in the game was simulated, and they had, at most, spent only a real day or two in the game. Well that was answered.

Endless "Red Shirt" Soul