AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 61 43.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 30.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.44%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.72%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.72%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-13, 14:04   Link #541
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post

And every time I post a review, it ends in just another hate war, orz.
Can you please stop the victim act? This is not helping your "cause".
If I have to agree with the reviewer on one thing it is the music. The music is the weakest link of the franchise behind the management of the bloated character cast. Now if it had a composer like Kajiura, it would be something more, just look at Mai-Hime, a great series with music so very cash if we forget the ending.
Old 2010-02-13, 14:06   Link #542
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I wouldn't say music is the weakest link of the franchise per-se. S1 does indeed have few memorable tracks, but StrikerS had quite a few good tracks. Zest's wonderful flute theme or Jail's terrific organ theme, to name a few.
Old 2010-02-13, 14:08   Link #543
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Music in the franchise always felt "vanilla" for the lack of a better word. Like the music in most series you don't ever pay attention to, but it's there for some reason.

Old 2010-02-13, 14:08   Link #544
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Debate does not equal hate war. If all we would say was "I like it" or "I hate it" and don't actually discuss it, what's the purpose of this forum, which was created to discuss anime?
It got better later, but some of the first comments seemed brutal. I think it's when people go "wtf this sucks" or "this is a real flop!" before actually seeing it. To them, they should still be discussing it, not confirming it's quality. If some one wants to throw stones at it after watching it, then by all means, go for it.

*ignored Sheba*
Old 2010-02-13, 14:09   Link #545
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Demi, I'm agreeing with Keroko and Sheba here. It really is possible for people to disagree, and have a discussion about why we disagree, without it being a flame war. By the very definition of the word, "forum" is a place where people gather to discuss things, so we are just using it for it's intended purpose.

I disagree with Shiny, but that doesn't make either of us a flamer. I can understand her point, even if I don't agree, and we can all come out of this more enlightened. So stop playing the victim card, and realize that we can disagree, and it's not personal.
Old 2010-02-13, 14:10   Link #546
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
Music in the franchise always felt "vanilla" for the lack of a better word. Like the music in most series you don't ever pay attention to, but it's there for some reason.
I can agree with that, it's not that the music is bad, i actually have the first season's on my computer, but it's just not special enough that I'd even recognize it out of context and so it could use some upgrading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post

I disagree with Shiny, but that doesn't make either of us a flamer. I can understand her point, even if I don't agree, and we can all come out of this more enlightened. So stop playing the victim card, and realize that we can disagree, and it's not personal.
And I disagree with this big fat doodie face here but despite that I respect his points.

I'm just kidding I don't think you're a doodie face or big and fat
Old 2010-02-13, 14:11   Link #547
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Hey, we actually agree with something.

...Though it is a saddening turn of events.

And every time I post a review, it ends in just another hate war, orz.
Well, look at it this way... fans care enough about the characters that they'll seriously debate over how they're portrayed. Getting fans to care that much about the characters is a very good sign.

You wouldn't have the 'hate war' if people didn't love the anime franchise.

Anyway, thanks for the reviews. They make me look even more towards eventually seeing this movie on DVD.
Old 2010-02-13, 14:13   Link #548
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Speaking of which, does the same composer work on all the music in Nanoha? Or do different people work on different seasons?
Old 2010-02-13, 14:16   Link #549
TheShinySword
*Author

Quote:
Speaking of which, does the same composer work on all the music in Nanoha? Or do different people work on different seasons?
It's time to go GOOGLE!!!

Yes. His name is Hiroaki Sano. He also did the triangle heart ovas.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...le.php?id=6893
Old 2010-02-13, 14:17   Link #550
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, look at it this way... fans care enough about the characters that they'll seriously debate over how they're portrayed. Getting fans to care that much about the characters is a very good sign.

You wouldn't have the 'hate war' if people didn't love the anime franchise.

Anyway, thanks for the reviews. They make me look even more towards eventually seeing this movie on DVD.
If only I thought that was the real reason.

But I get it, no reviews no tears. Check.

And thanks.
Old 2010-02-13, 14:26   Link #551
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
It's time to go GOOGLE!!!
Lazybug bit me. Thanks for looking it up for lazy me.

Quote:
Yes. His name is Hiroaki Sano. He also did the triangle heart ovas.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...le.php?id=6893
Hmm, he improved since S1 then. StrikerS had much better music than the former seasons.

Quote:
If only I thought that was the real reason.

But I get it, no reviews no tears. Check.
Demi, stop it. Please. I know you're uncomfortable with people not liking the movie and debating their dislike, but you are not helping the situation by trying to point out hate where it doesn't exist.

People debating their likes and dislikes does not mean they are 'hating' the movie or 'crying' about it. It means they are discussing it.
Old 2010-02-13, 14:35   Link #552
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
And I disagree with this big fat doodie face here but despite that I respect his points.

I'm just kidding I don't think you're a doodie face or big and fat
Damn straight. I am most definitely not big or fat! (but I am a doodie face =/ )

And Demi, I still stand by the "good" rating that I gave this movie. It's mostly because I thought Season 1 was decently good, and this movie is basically season 1 in a nutshell, with better graphics, but less story.

It is possible to like something, yet also dislike flaws within it, and wish for something better. Doing so, does not equate to a personal attack on someone who absolutely loves the movie, like you.

I'll toss a quote that I love and try to live by:
"I do not agree with a word you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire

And I'm referring to the actual philosopher, and not the big dragon Caro summons. :P
Old 2010-02-13, 14:42   Link #553
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

That's fine, I know what every ones dislikes are. I heard them today, and yesterday, and the day before...

You can't read a review and then expect to know what you're going to rate it yourself. It doesn't work like that.

And I posted the review not so people could fawn over it, or bash it - simply because it lets every one know all of it's focus. If every review just leads to the same negativity I've heard before, then I just have no desire to post them. It doesn't affect anyone, I was just letting it out there.
Old 2010-02-13, 14:45   Link #554
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
That's fine, I know what every ones dislikes are. I heard them today, and yesterday, and the day before...
I gotta say... between your posts on this thread, and your really sad moe Fate avatar, you play the best tragically sad moe girl of all time.

No offense... just trying to add some levity to the thread.
Old 2010-02-13, 14:47   Link #555
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:

You can't read a review and then expect to know what you're going to rate it yourself. It doesn't work like that..
And we also know how much you like Fate, but that doesn't stop you from pointing that out to us every day. Nor do we stop you.

Yes, we can't rate a how good a movie is without having seen it, but we can rate what we think of it so far. Reviews help create an image of what the movie is about, which in turn forms what we think about it.
Old 2010-02-13, 14:53   Link #556
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
You can't read a review and then expect to know what you're going to rate it yourself. It doesn't work like that.
For you, maybe, and normally I might not rate a movie before I see it, but this case is vastly different. The movie is essentially season 1; we all know how the story goes, and we know how the graphics are improved (and yes, they look real nice). In short, this is probably one of the few movies that I know exactly how it will go before seeing it.

I'm not the only one here like that.

Quote:
And I posted the review not so people could fawn over it, or bash it - simply because it lets every one know all of it's focus. If every review just leads to the same negativity I've heard before, then i just have no desire to post them. It doesn't affect anyone, I was just letting it out there.
When you post something, you have to expect fawning, bashing, and so much more; that's what people do when they discuss things. You have to expect some negativity; that's just life, and you really need to learn to deal with it. I expect negativity to things I post, but I try to understand it, even if I don't agree. And then I keep posting.

You really need to separate yourself from your post and get this point down: People expressing negativity about a movie, due to a review you posted, does *NOT* reflect on you personally.

Really, it seems like anytime someone says something remotely negative about the movie, you react as if we shot your mother or something.
Old 2010-02-13, 15:01   Link #557
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
And we also know how much you like Fate, but that doesn't stop you from pointing that out to us every day. Nor do we stop you.

Yes, we can't rate a how good a movie is without having seen it, but we can rate what we think of it so far. Reviews help create an image of what the movie is about, which in turn forms what we think about it.
Maybe you're confusing me with some other Fate fan, but...while I tend to defend her a lot, unless she's brought up, I don't directly mention her that often. And when I do, it's not blatant Fate love.

Quote:
And that's true, but I was replying back to the one who did rate it already.

@Tripple_R: Heh, well, seems my moe is immune to some.

@Kaijo: Because it's the same thing every time from the same users. What left is there to discuss? And maybe I'm a tad butt hurt, because this has got to be the most critical thread I have ever seen. E8 received about this much flack from it's active fanbase, and they repeated the same thing 8 times!
Old 2010-02-13, 15:02   Link #558
Triple_R
*Author

I'm going to agree with Demi on at least one point.

I don't think that a movie should be rated before it is actually seen.

Sometimes, the quality of the visuals or of the musical score or just the overall atmosphere set by the movie is difficult to convey into words. A written review can't always do justice to that.

Also, I've read scene descriptions that sounded pretty bad or cheesy on paper... but for some reason, it just clicked and worked great on the screen itself.

Honestly, I do think that more people should take a wait and see approach to the movie. Yes, we already have a pretty good idea of the pros and cons, but seeing it all come together in front of your eyes can have a very unexpected effect.

A good example for me would be Clannad: After Story. If somebody had just told me, bit by bit, the entire plot to Clannad: After Story (before I had watched it), it might have actually sounded a bit dull to me. But the way the visuals, the background music, the facial expressions, etc... all came together is what helped make Clannad: After Story one of the most memorable and wonderful animes of all-time for me.
Old 2010-02-13, 15:11   Link #559
TheShinySword
*Author

Oh good lordie it's back! This conversation! It's back!
Old 2010-02-13, 15:19   Link #560
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Maybe you're confusing me with some other Fate fan, but...while I tend to defend her a lot, unless she's brought up, I don't directly mention her that often. And when I do, it's not blatant Fate love.
Not directly, no, that's why I said 'point out' and not 'declare.' It's not that hard to see how much you like Fate when browsing, say, the image thread.

And don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But all in all, you complaining about people repeating their dislikes of the movie would be the same as us complaining whenever you note how nice an image of Fate is in the image thread.

Like I said, the best thing you can do is ignore it. Even if it annoys you, ignore it. Getting involved won't make it stop, because there is no reason for debates over the negative points of the movie to stop.

Quote:
@Kaijo: Because it's the same thing every time from the same users. What left is there to discuss? And maybe I'm a tad butt hurt, because this has got to be the most critical thread I have ever seen. E8 received about this much flack from it's active fanbase, and they repeated the same thing 8 times!
Good. We need more critical threads. Constant heaps of praise are fine and dandy, but actual debate is a bit more meaty.

There's plenty of these kinds of threads around here too, if you look for it. The Naruto and One Piece forums were full of them last time I was there. People debating why they consider a plot twist good or bad, what is going to happen six episodes or twenty chapters from now, and two or maybe even more different opinions banging heads in a debate.
Closed Thread