AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-05-24, 04:55   Link #1801
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Ed won't get his leg back, guaranteed. He never really cared about getting his body back, it's always been about getting his brother back. He's been lying to Al all this time.

Al may come back Greek myth style. Ed, Al, or both could trick the toll collector into giving up Al. I'd think it would be cooler if Al discovers a loophole that will allow him to leave and shows up to help kill the homunculus known as Father.

It's also possible that Hohenheim will pull off some miracles before he kicks the bucket.

Ed will not get his leg back, he may even give up his arm again or his other leg. The only reason he got his arm back, was because his mechanical arm got blown off and Al decided to give him his arm back to use alchemy.

No matter what, Ed will not get his leg back. The disability pushed him harder. It represents him. Without a metal leg, he wouldn't be the Fullmetal Alchemist.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 19:14   Link #1802
tzia_n
Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to tzia_n
Quote:
Originally Posted by darabo View Post
Now I personally think Mustang should get back his eyes, he did not want to see the "Truth" and was forced too. That's simply not fair.
Mustang's overpowered with his eyesight But I dunno, I kinda like him better as blind. Restoring his eyesight kinda cheapens the impact of him going blind had. Him blind also kinda gives the story a better bittersweet feel to it in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
Also, I think there's a high probability that Greed will save the day. In the Manga, Greed was first killed on a cross (later edited by Viz and subsequently altered in Brotherhood). But why a cross? I believe Arakawa (who says she knew the ending ever since she began) was giving a hint that Greed would be "redeemed". Afterall, in Christianity, the cross is a sign of redemption. And we all know how Arakawa has used many Christian/Jewish symbols throughout the story. It's a possibility that I think will come to pass in some way or another.
Can't it be a cross just because Arakawa liked the shape?

I don't think there is any symbolic meaning to that. I suppose if Arakawa intended to have some deeper meaning to that, then Viz (and Brotherhood) ought to have not changed it in the first place. I mean, they would have probably checked with Arakawa before making the edits, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
No matter what, Ed will not get his leg back. The disability pushed him harder. It represents him. Without a metal leg, he wouldn't be the Fullmetal Alchemist.
Without the metal leg, he won't be the Fullmetal Alchemist, hence end of series. Wouldn't that fit the ending

I suppose among the major themes of FMA are sacrifice and payment. That's why I think some of them will never get restored to their original bodies, just to show that people ought to bear the consequences of their actions.

Most likely Ed and Izumi are the candidates for this. Plus they can continue living without being restored. Mustang is a question mark for me here. Al on the other hand, seems to be poised to be restored, since it's just sad to keep him as an armor.
tzia_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 11:27   Link #1803
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzia_n View Post
Mustang's overpowered with his eyesight But I dunno, I kinda like him better as blind. Restoring his eyesight kinda cheapens the impact of him going blind had. Him blind also kinda gives the story a better bittersweet feel to it in my opinion.
I definitely agree. Though, a blind fire alchemist can cause all kinds of damage . Still, this would mean Hawkeye would have to constantly be around to help him . And I did like the way they worked together fighting against the Father.
________
MARYJANE

Last edited by Rennir; 2011-04-19 at 05:35.
Rennir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 19:23   Link #1804
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
... Hawkeye is always around him XD
Blind or not

Personally, I'm in two minds about if Roy should get his eye sight back. On one hand it would be utterly mean to pay the price for something you refused to do; on the other hand it adds to the bittersweetness, the series has for it's whole run. Plus, Roy would be able to pull of the blind badass.
I think it can be done very well in both directions, but a big part of me just wants him cured.

Still, the thing that would kill me for real, would be if Al doesn't get his Body back / returns with it. That kid suffered enough >_< And it would crush everyone, and those he's important to, too.
He's such a badass, too. My respect for him skyrocked, after all his epicness. So loveable and strong willed.

Last edited by zebra; 2010-05-30 at 13:57. Reason: stupid grammar
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 22:35   Link #1805
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, right?

Quote:
I mean, they would have probably checked with Arakawa before making the edits, right?
LOL... Haven't watched many secondary adaptations, have you? ^_^

Quote:
Al on the other hand, seems to be poised to be restored, since it's just sad to keep him as an armor.
With the White Room version of the armor evaporating away like it did in 107, it's very much safe to say that Al has seen the last of that armor from the inside. He's either coming back as runwaymodel!Al...or not at all...
Old 2010-05-28, 10:32   Link #1806
tzia_n
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
LOL... Haven't watched many secondary adaptations, have you? ^_^

With the White Room version of the armor evaporating away like it did in 107, it's very much safe to say that Al has seen the last of that armor from the inside. He's either coming back as runwaymodel!Al...or not at all...
They might use a different armor this time?

And as far as I know, BONES is doing a decent job at adapting the material. So there major screw ups as changing something that has future relevance should not be expected
Old 2010-05-28, 17:17   Link #1807
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
And as far as I know, BONES is doing a decent job at adapting the material. So there major screw ups as changing something that has future relevance should not be expected
Apples and oranges. Changing it from a cross doesn't mean he can't later end up being the "salvation" of everyone. There's no conceivable way that the shape of the thing he's tied to could make a difference in the plot in this instance. It's just (hypothetically) a nice foreshadow. It may have future relevance, but no future impact. And besides, the thing about allusions, is that only about 25% of the audience ever picks up on them, and only about 2% of them even care (statistics pulled right out of my ass, but most likely correct).

And since it has no bearing upon the plot, they wouldn't have needed to get with Arakawa in order to change it, even assuming they would have in the first place. Now, since she appears to have a much closer interaction with the animation this time around, she probably knew, but again, no plot impact, no big deal.

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2010-05-29 at 14:00.
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-29, 01:39   Link #1808
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Nah, far from it.

His weakness is close range. And his gloves. Anyone that is good enough to close that gap (by sheer numbers, or usually by real skill) can pretty much get the jump on him. Those Bradley rejects practically ran circles around him. I can easily see character such as Ling and especially Wrath besting him no problem; Ed/Al can probably get lucky when their hand-to-hand is much better than Roy's, but on the other hand Izumi will definitely be effective as well.

Part of his weakness in close range also means that Roy has to be careful not to get his gloves torn up, wet or whatever. By opening the gate and gaining 'on-hands' alchemy, this pretty much covers this one weakness, but his blindness now makes the other a much bigger problem.

The good thing is, he can overcome his blindness with some great effort on his part, or he could always change his tactics to fight with a spotter that'll serves as his eyes, such as the 'Hawkeye' herself.

Last edited by kujoe; 2010-05-29 at 19:19.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-29, 16:54   Link #1809
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
... Hawkeye is always around him XD
Blind or not

Personally, I'm in two minds about if Roy should get his eye sight back. On one hand it would be utterly mean to pay the price for something you refused to do; on the other hand it adds to the bittersweetness, the series has for it's whole run. Plus, Roy would be able to pull of the blind badass.
I think it can be done very well in both directions, but a big part of me just wants him cured.

Still, the thing that would kill me for real, would be if Al doesn't get his Body back / returns with it. That kid suffered enough >_< And it would crush everyone, he's important to, too.
He's such a badass, too. My respect for him skyrocked, after all his epicness. So loveable and strong willed.
Well, FMA isn't filled with all happy moments, so it's kind of dark, and I think some actual losses in regard to the characters would go well with the tone of the story, so I agree with you. Roy could develop super hearing or something because he lost his eyes, as well as having Hawkeye help him . And as I said before, I'm almost positive that Al is going to come back because FMA is all about Ed and Al getting their bodies back so if they don't accomplish their original goal then in my opinion, it would be really lame. Not to mention it'd be a cheap ripoff of the original FMA ending, just the other brother and slightly different details and circumstances is all.

Btw, I love your avatar
________
Ship Sale

Last edited by Rennir; 2011-04-19 at 05:38.
Rennir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-29, 23:29   Link #1810
Matt122005

Quote:

I don't think there is any symbolic meaning to that. I suppose if Arakawa intended to have some deeper meaning to that, then Viz (and Brotherhood) ought to have not changed it in the first place. I mean, they would have probably checked with Arakawa before making the edits, right?
Viz said they removed the cross from the manga because of fears of upsetting Christian readers, and they said if I remember right, that Arakawa agreed.

Just because they removed the cross doesn't affect the story. The cross would just be a nice little easter egg for fans who noticed the foreshadowing.

However, considering the large amounts of Christian/Jewish symbols and wall writing (not to mention a joke at the back of one volume that has multiple implications), it would not be odd at all for her to have added the cross on purpose. After all, she said that she knew the ending when she started writing the beginning.

And besides, in Volume 4 chapter 13, she actually gives a foreshadowing of Father's plans to become God (and the fact he is controlling Alchemy). So it's definitely not impossible she did the same for Greed's future.

Interestingly, Edward is also seen with a cross in back of him in vol 10-13. So I'm also curious if this was foreshadowing that Edward would have to make another "Sacrafice" just like "TRUTH" asked in the last chapter.

Oh....darn....that means he probably WILL have to sacrifice something. >.<

Arakawa better not make a sad ending.
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 20:03   Link #1811
tzia_n
Lurker

Maybe I live too idealistically, wanting every minor detail to have significance in the overall plot
Old 2010-06-03, 03:30   Link #1812
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Maybe I live too idealistically, wanting every minor detail to have significance in the overall plot
Nah, if every little thing has later significance then you know that everything is foreshadowing something, and all the fun of guessing goes out of it, because at that point it's too easy. If only part of it is foreshadowing, you get to try to guess what is significant and what isn't without it being obvious.
Old 2010-06-03, 06:13   Link #1813
dopelfish
I WILL EAT YOU

I think that Ed and Al could possibly regain their bodies if they would try transmuting their mother yet again, only in reverse this - Al has already reproduced the one part of the transmutation and Ed regained his arm as a result. It could be something like in "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho: Ed and Al go on the journey only to realize at the end that the solution to their problem were right in the beginning all the time.
dopelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-03, 07:47   Link #1814
duckroll
綺羅星★!

One week to the end. How does it feel?
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-03, 07:55   Link #1815
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
One week to the end. How does it feel?
Scary. Just scary. I knew this day would eventually come, though it's hard to believe we all won't be looking forward to a new chapter this time next month.
Old 2010-06-03, 07:57   Link #1816
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
A week? Gah

I feel a wide range of emotions about that.
Spoiler for peek into my emotional state:

Hope I'll do a "Hell yeah!" when I read the chapter. I hope Ed keeps his promise, then I'll cry tears of joy, too XD

But even when it's a great end, I'll still feel down. Babye FMA I'm no good with partings, even the fictional kind .
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-03, 08:50   Link #1817
Kirarakim

Since this is the last chapter I am going to try my hardest to avoid all spoilers and wait for the scanlation (unless my Shounen Gangan somehow arrives in the mail first then I will have to read the RAW).

I am still in denial that it is over. I mean I know the story is ending but I can't fathom that no new chapter will be out every month. I have been following this manga for 5+ years now so this is a great loss for me. I don't even follow any other manga series Online, well One Piece but I am way behind on that.
Old 2010-06-04, 02:12   Link #1818
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Since this is the last chapter I am going to try my hardest to avoid all spoilers and wait for the scanlation (unless my Shounen Gangan somehow arrives in the mail first then I will have to read the RAW).
You too, huh? First thing I've ever ordered direct from Japan. ¥500 for the magazine and ¥3000 for the shipping. Jesus...

But no doubt worth every sen... ^_^
Old 2010-06-04, 11:07   Link #1819
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
You too, huh? First thing I've ever ordered direct from Japan. ¥500 for the magazine and ¥3000 for the shipping. Jesus...

But no doubt worth every sen... ^_^
I ordered it from Japan once before for the 5th anniversary but because of the cost and size (it's very bulky) I never did so again. But this is the last issue (sobs) so it's something special. It also comes with a Memorial Clock, I am dying to know exactly what that is.
Old 2010-06-04, 12:42   Link #1820
duckroll
綺羅星★!

So, this being the big finale, I fear that camera "scans" and various leaks will show up by Tuesday or Wednesday. Hopefully if anyone posts them here, spoilers will be well marked?

I hope no one randomly posts a spoiler image with no context or explanation in the wrong thread like what happened last month...
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote