Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-05-06, 10:51   Link #21
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
I may consider buying Arkham Horror, but before that anyone mind telling me, does this game work great with only 3 people?
Yes. My friends and I actually have found 3 or 4 players to be the magic number. Having more players gives you more actions but it also increases certain conditions required for victory, decreases the leeway and time you have, and makes certain bad events even worse, so more isn't always best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzeroparticle
It's hard to say. On one level, yeah, it's kind of like that, since we all seem to advance at a snail's pace in the beginning until someone feels like they have an advantage in which case, an explosion of activity occurs as people seek to punish the first-mover. In short, it's all a battle for turn order and the key looks to be paying the right price for the power plants.

That said, I've only played it like.. three times ever, so I'm hardly the expert on it. :P
Hmm, yeah, that sounds pretty similar to my experience then. I'm in the same boat as far as experience goes but some of the more notable sites for experienced players have those same complaints in their forums so I dunno. One of my friends still wants to play again but the rest of us are pretty unwilling. Just kinda feels like bad game design when it always devolves into a stalemate and the only way to prevent it is if the players agree not to play that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias
One time I was using William Yorick. For some reason the game was really long, as we weren't making much progress with the gate seals since Ghantanothoa was the AO, and people were scared of taking too many clue tokens. I decided to just load up on weapons and go around hunting monsters. Thanks to his ability, we ended up with like 5-10 monsters remaining in the cup at the end, and most of them were like weak monsters like cultist. Mind you, I only have the base game and Innsmouth expansion, so I don't have that many monsters to begin with.
Ah, nice. I have the base game as well as Curse of the Dark Pharaoh and Dunwich Horror. The former has no new monsters but adds a bunch of horrible cards including ones that force you to fight a 1v1 battle with the ancient one (those never came up in game yet but I can't imagine that ever ending well). The latter has some pretty ridiculous new ancient ones with really strict time limits and some nasty monsters like the wraith. I plan to buy the rest of the expansions at some point but my table is already at its limit with just the base game and 1 board expansion. Gonna need to buy a "table expansion" as well I guess.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 02:16   Link #22
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I don't really play board games anymore, but I do still try to make time to play a game of Stratego with someone every now and then. For those who haven't played, it's best described as a capture the flag scenario where you and an opponent are in charge of two opposing civil war era armies. You each have the same amount and types of soldiers, some with special abilities, others just with really high attack value, as well as some stationary mines. All of these are represented in tiles with a number value assigned to everything other than mines.

The difference is in how you choose to place the different tiles around the board so as to maximize your chances of getting the enemy flag first and avoiding them getting yours without a certain amount of effort. You can try surrounding and isolating your flag with mines, you can try decoy tactics, you can try keeping a general near your flag to smite anything that comes near...it's all up to the player.

Ahhh, good times playing that game at the cottage as a kid.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 15:56   Link #23
willx
Nyaaan~~

"Rise.. RISE FROM THE DEAD!" - Necro-thread revive powers!

..Which is very fitting, because I recently heard about this board game! Zombicide! Looks like good family fun!

http://guillotinegames.com/en/

Outlook not so good..- AGGHHH!!
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 18:27   Link #24
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

The one board game (or rather, card game) that I used to play and had such a great time with was Citadel, with my circle of college anime fans. Sadly, the owner of the game changed schools and I haven't played it again since.

It's been quite a while since I go visit them, but my college circle was once struck with this board game fever and played quite a handful of them, and even created alternate versions of them. For example, they created Bonanza, but instead of nuts, they made it so that they plant Touhou lolis. We also invented a strategy board game which was inspired by combining trumps and chess together. And because of the Saki fever, a lot of us have been practicing mahjong as well, and I've even heard they plan to cheaply make their own tiles.
Old 2012-11-06, 21:51   Link #25
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Oh look it's my old thread. Board games have kind of taken a back seat for me lately due to my friends getting back into MtG which I tend to prefer. Have played a couple other non-collectible card games recently too though (I consider those basically board games without the board.) Cards Against Humanity, the opposite of family fun, and Tanto Cuore, which would probably be of particular interest to many people who frequent this site.

http://www.tantocuore.com/

It's basically Dominion except with maids and features pictures from several well-known anime and manga artists.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 23:40   Link #26
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I think the last board game I ever played was Settlers. And that was like back in 2006/2007.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 00:01   Link #27
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Just in case, may I ask if virtual board games exist in the internet somewhere? Maybe with lobbies or lounges where people can play with others over the internet. Something similar to Tenhou, only on other games.
Old 2012-11-07, 00:02   Link #28
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Just in case, may I ask if virtual board games exist in the internet somewhere? Maybe with lobbies or lounges where people can play with others over the internet. Something similar to Tenhou, only on other games.
You mean like....Words With Friends?

I guess the easy answer is a resounding yes.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote