AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-20, 16:51   Link #21
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Forgot about Imouto. Kuroneko would be #6 on my list.
Old 2011-06-20, 17:20   Link #22
Seishi
Kholdy's Slave

Send a message via AIM to Seishi Send a message via MSN to Seishi Send a message via Yahoo to Seishi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
Solid list, though I doubt the strength of Puella Magi Madoka Magica as a whole due to Bakemonogatari falling short last year. Mio belongs to the K-ON! group (see: past winner), and as such even if a few voters are sympathetic for her, they still won't let her even have a sniff at the title. It all comes down to block matchups, so I find it almost impossible to really predict individual character strength, as it can fluctuate with different circumstances. For example, Azusa had the advantage of Yui being cast off in the 2nd round, while also capitalizing on a same-series matchup with Mio against Mikoto where K-ON! fans were able to throw all their votes at Azusa. Every champion since I've been following the tournament (2007) has had some major breaks, directly or indirectly.

For the record, I would have Mikoto, Kuroneko, and Charlotte as the top three most likely to perform under pressure, after that it's pretty much a crapshoot. With a return to the bracket format of old, I'm hoping we can see more competitive matches.

And no, I'm not making a personal favourites list yet. I'll save that for after the preliminary rounds.
Old 2011-06-20, 17:35   Link #23
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
That is my top 10 for AST list. The list is similar for KBM, by the way, but the ordering is different. KBM's start date has not been formalized, yet.
Umm...not even half a mention of Touwa Erio?? She's by far the most popular character this season...

And as far as I'm concern, Azu-nyan is 900x more popular in Japan than Mio. Madoka is not even #2 behind Homu-Homu (Tomoe Mami is).

Will be able to tell once the prelim votes gets in, because as of right now, it's all talk on paper. Homura IS strong, but not necessarily dominating. Biribiri always have a strong fanbase, Kuroneko dominates C79, predicting Kanade getting sniped off again. No clue as if who's the dark horse (Last year it's Yamada, absolutely no clue this year)

To make things worse(?), no Saki this year (for once), making things much more unpredictable.

Quote:
9. Haqua du Lot Herminium : She is supposed to be more popular than Elsie, but didn't get enough chance to show her stuff in the TVA. Still, she has a chance since comic book popularity matters in AST.
Only ranking I can find (and not necessarily 100% accurate):
http://anime.biglobe.ne.jp/userranking/title/9062/

Of course, Haqua being a tsundere never hurts.

Last edited by ion475; 2011-06-20 at 17:57.
Old 2011-06-20, 19:22   Link #24
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seishi View Post
Solid list, though I doubt the strength of Puella Magi Madoka Magica as a whole due to Bakemonogatari falling short last year. Mio belongs to the K-ON! group (see: past winner), and as such even if a few voters are sympathetic for her, they still won't let her even have a sniff at the title. It all comes down to block matchups, so I find it almost impossible to really predict individual character strength, as it can fluctuate with different circumstances. For example, Azusa had the advantage of Yui being cast off in the 2nd round, while also capitalizing on a same-series matchup with Mio against Mikoto where K-ON! fans were able to throw all their votes at Azusa. Every champion since I've been following the tournament (2007) has had some major breaks, directly or indirectly.

For the record, I would have Mikoto, Kuroneko, and Charlotte as the top three most likely to perform under pressure, after that it's pretty much a crapshoot. With a return to the bracket format of old, I'm hoping we can see more competitive matches.

And no, I'm not making a personal favourites list yet. I'll save that for after the preliminary rounds.
I think my list is somewhat close to the currently perceived strength, which isn't necessarily the actual strength. You might consider it the Hit list order for those who seeks to derail the favorites so their character can win. As such, being on this list should not be considered a blessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Umm...not even half a mention of Touwa Erio?? She's by far the most popular character this season...

And as far as I'm concern, Azu-nyan is 900x more popular in Japan than Mio. Madoka is not even #2 behind Homu-Homu (Tomoe Mami is).

Will be able to tell once the prelim votes gets in, because as of right now, it's all talk on paper. Homura IS strong, but not necessarily dominating. Biribiri always have a strong fanbase, Kuroneko dominates C79, predicting Kanade getting sniped off again. No clue as if who's the dark horse (Last year it's Yamada, absolutely no clue this year)

To make things worse(?), no Saki this year (for once), making things much more unpredictable.

Only ranking I can find (and not necessarily 100% accurate):
http://anime.biglobe.ne.jp/userranking/title/9062/

Of course, Haqua being a tsundere never hurts.
I would have loved to include Touwa Erio, yet all the polls I know that pit her against other characters on my top 10 list had her doing very poorly. She needs an impact moment or two in what remains of the series to have some chance. Of course, if she do get the needed impact moment, she can easily be elevated to the elite level.
Old 2011-06-20, 21:14   Link #25
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
I would have loved to include Touwa Erio, yet all the polls I know that pit her against other characters on my top 10 list had her doing very poorly. She needs an impact moment or two in what remains of the series to have some chance. Of course, if she do get the needed impact moment, she can easily be elevated to the elite level.
What poll? This one?
http://anime.biglobe.ne.jp/userranking/chara/11202/

(Okay, I know AnimeOne poll are not necessarily 100% accurate, especially since that poll don't have any Madoka characters on it, nor Kanade and Haqua...but pitting her against half of your top 10 and she's on top...)

And of course, Charlotte is being forgotten quickly...even though she's the only decent choice from IS...
Old 2011-06-20, 21:30   Link #26
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
This is Shana's year.
No way. She has far more tougher competition this year - than any of her previous years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustra View Post
first!

HA HA TIME FOR SAIMOE.jpg

also, here's an overview of the past nine years of Saimoe. can't believe this is the tenth time they're doing this already.
OK, that chart gives me tears. XD
Old 2011-06-20, 21:37   Link #27
Seishi
Kholdy's Slave

Send a message via AIM to Seishi Send a message via MSN to Seishi Send a message via Yahoo to Seishi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
As such, being on this list should not be considered a blessing.
Lol...very true. We'll have to see, but it's possible for some of the newcomers + Mikoto to make it through to the quarters without collecting much hate along the way. I always see Mikoto as a character who nobody really "hates" and thus why I consider her strong in all moe contests. Then again, Saten made it further than her last year (due to the K-ON dogpile I mentioned in my last post)...
Old 2011-06-20, 21:40   Link #28
Kyuu
=^^=

Saten got lucky being on a "light" bracket, compared to the others. Mikoto failed to advance to final 8 all due to Azunyan.
Old 2011-06-20, 21:45   Link #29
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well Azusa did win the crown, so Mikoto's loss was honorable.
Old 2011-06-20, 21:54   Link #30
timbits
Harem Lead

just like to remind you all that taiga is once again eligible as she made a cameo appearance on ookami san. so are minori and ami, for that matter.
Old 2011-06-20, 22:08   Link #31
anisu

We've got an outstanding crop of new characters and few strong veterans, so this year promises to be fresh and full of surprises.

Prediction: Victory for Madoka. Madoka and Homura won't lose except to each other. Mami will also be strong, but she's not ahead like she was in episode 3. Her weak presence later in the show means we'll only see a fully powered-up Mami-san if the first two are upset.

Of the returning veterans, Biribiri has the best shot to win it. She gave Azusa respectable competition last year, and there's a full season of Index 2 keeping her relevant.

Tenshi is a threat to win her group, but between last year's loss and only one bonus episode for her franchise, she might not do any better this time around.

K-ON will be strong, like Nanoha was in previous years, but their status as returning champions will prevent them from winning it all.

My little Kirino and Kuroneko can't be this likely to make the finals! Ika Musume might invade them as well. Charlotte of IS is a serious contender for the championship. Other popular girls like Cecilia and Laura will make IS one of the strongest factions in the tournament.

Rounding out the field, Ano Hana's popularity makes Menma dangerous, while the necromancer Eu and denpa Erio are strong characters with unproven support bases. Elsie will also have some fans. There's several wild card shows out there, especially from the Spring season, but Nichijou is looking weak compared to previous KyoAni shows.
Old 2011-06-20, 22:19   Link #32
Kyuu
=^^=

And here's some pretty good preview writing:

http://tldrsaimoe.wordpress.com/tag/saimoe-2011/

(not my blog)

===

(but my opinion)

And note, plenty of series I have not seen this past Saimoe calendar year. Very very likely, I'd miss many of 'em.

Heavy Hitters (Good shot @ final 8)
  • Kuroneko (Oreimo). Mix in the "true ending" episodes. Then the rage imposed by the author's writing in the light novel.
  • K-ON girls. No way that last year is the end of them. However, will the winner this year be a K-ON girl? I doubt it. Winning is tough. Repeating is even tougher.
  • Madoka. Personally, I'm only 1/3 watching through this series. I still don't know what got people really into this series, other than, "badass magical girl". That'll be enough here.
  • Victorique (Gosick). She has that detective charm. Plus, as the blog notes, she strongly resembles that of a Rozen Maiden, particularly Shinku.
  • Anaru (Ano Hana). Oh the drama surrounding her. Sympathy voting?

Just below (May win a few rounds, but fall short of final 8)
  • Amagami. Pick one of the 6 main, plus 2. However, this series feels so far away (long ago), such that I have to wonder if there is any heavy support for any of 'em.
  • Kirino (Oreimo). Her realistic shot at final 8, to not be in the same bracket as Kuroneko. Unfortunately for her, there are Kirino haters.
  • Any of the Strike Witches. Oh they're coming back? Doubt they'd get far though.
  • Kanade and Yui (Angel Beats). The only two Angel Beats characters with potential of getting deep. I doubt much of their momentum from last year carry over into this year, however.

Series to be missed

Clannad. Nanoha. Hayate no Gotoku. Haruhi. Saki.

Oh how they'll be missed. The brackets will be more empty without them... eh... nah. Plenty of newcomers this year to replace them. Lol.

Yet, looking at this chart (linked earlier), it's somewhat "nostalgic" looking at their "careers".
Old 2011-06-20, 22:24   Link #33
OverFunk
It will never be the year

This is Hanazawa's year, just sayin'

I'll quote this come October whatever.

I see how Madoka Magica stole 2ch past winter season, but I don't think moe was a important factor. Now, it depends if 2ch can vote honestly on that.

Never forget
Old 2011-06-20, 22:29   Link #34
Seishi
Kholdy's Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverFunk View Post
This is Hanazawa's year, just sayin'

I'll quote this come October whatever.

I see how Madoka Magica stole 2ch past winter season, but I don't think moe was a important factor. Now, it depends if 2ch can vote honestly on that.
Don't forget

[21:47:00] <%sika> I can see Eu trolling someone
Old 2011-06-20, 22:30   Link #35
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
And of course, Charlotte is being forgotten quickly...even though she's the only decent choice from IS...
Well... to be fair... IS isn't really a series to be long remembered.
Old 2011-06-20, 22:34   Link #36
uis

Oh well Strike Witches 2 also been forgotten...

Like hell they will doing good in Saimoe... XD

-It is okay if you are weak. I will grab your hand and realize your dream-
Old 2011-06-20, 22:36   Link #37
wontaek

Quote:
What poll? This one?
http://anime.biglobe.ne.jp/userranking/chara/11202/

(Okay, I know AnimeOne poll are not necessarily 100% accurate, especially since that poll don't have any Madoka characters on it, nor Kanade and Haqua...but pitting her against half of your top 10 and she's on top...)

I admit that I didn't see that poll. Will reconsider Erio if I see other polls with similar results.
Old 2011-06-20, 23:49   Link #38
uis

Enough with trolling...

Anyway Kuroneko really the top 1 that will win saimoe this year...

Beside K-on, Index chara, IS and Madoka will be powerhouse for this tournament...

Angel Beats will doing well too... They will become next HAyate lol...

Looking for dark horse is easy... Milky Holmes is a dark house... they really popular in Japan with dominate in TCG and MAD this year same with Saki before...

I dunno with powerhouse this spring because i don't have enough data but i can see Denpa Onna chara will doing great because SHAFT after their great trolling of Madoka...

Nichijou never doing great because they are no.1 worst anime in spring according 2ch poll...

i am dunno with Kaminomi chara... the anime sales really bad and not many material that people cares enough except manga... i hope they will doing good despite my bad prediction...

Honorable mention is Baka Test and Shana that will get anime this summer and fall... Dunno they will doing great or not...

-It is okay if you are weak. I will grab your hand and realize your dream-

Last edited by uis; 2011-06-21 at 00:04.
Old 2011-06-20, 23:50   Link #39
Team Rocket Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbits View Post
just like to remind you all that taiga is once again eligible as she made a cameo appearance on ookami san. so are minori and ami, for that matter.
Which is unfortunately since they are just coming back to get killed. I would have been happier if Taiga got to end her career on a high note.
Old 2011-06-21, 01:15   Link #40
Seishi
Kholdy's Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
Which is unfortunately since they are just coming back to get killed. I would have been happier if Taiga got to end her career on a high note.
Quoted for truth. Taiga is one of my favourite characters of all-time and I was most definitely not pleased to hear this news.

Tags
2011, saimoe, tournament