AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-11-06, 00:23   Link #381
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Essentially, Gundam's sales problem is that its fanbase isn't getting any younger, and for the most part it's been failing to attract newer fans ever since SEED, which in itself was a surprise because Gundam had never been popular at that level before.

It also doesn't help that it's existing fanbase wants to kill one another and often go out of their way to sabotage any new series. That was AGE's big problem at the start; internet trolls sabotaged people's initial interest in the show via misinformation.
Old 2013-11-06, 00:37   Link #382
Skye629

Anyone able to pull up current ratings based on current position (in series, so up to EP5) and from average of ALL the sources in which it was broadcasted?

Basing overall ratings so far this early on EP 1, off of one broadcasting station out of a few, is extremely shaky data

I also wonder how they keep track of ratings from their streaming on Youtube for the foreign countries, or whether they are even calculated into overall scores at all
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-06, 01:48   Link #383
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Episode 1 TV ratings for TV Tokyo -

Overall Person KIDS TEEN  M1   M2  M3   F1   F2   F3
*1.80 *1.00 *4.40 *0.90 *0.60 *1.10 *0.50 *1.60 *0 .60 *0.30

---

Seems like Sunrise succeeded in reaching kids with Gundam, finally (something they couldn't do with AGE). Overall rating would make this by far the least watched Gundam ever (second and third would be AGE at 2.6 and Gundam X at 2.8 overall), but then again, they are airing this on two other channels (BS11 and Tokyo MX) and also streaming this right on the official website in HD (and internationally on Youtube), so its likely Bandai's not that worried.
the youtube stream + BS11 and Tokyo MX airing it is a factor, also the timeslot is another. the factor here is that the kids are watching it. Which is already encouraging.
Old 2013-11-06, 05:07   Link #384
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Essentially, Gundam's sales problem is that its fanbase isn't getting any younger, and for the most part it's been failing to attract newer fans ever since SEED, which in itself was a surprise because Gundam had never been popular at that level before.
I can't explain why that is so myself... Apart from writing some of the pages in tvtropes, why was SEED so popular?

Unless it was just goodwill from Turn A and it turned sour by end of the 1st season...

...and Destiny completely trampled whatever was left.

Anyway, I am more worried about Gundam than ever before. After all, the only Gundam series to be cancelled midseason was X, and I loved X...

...would be bad if the same fate is suffered by GBF.

Quote:
It also doesn't help that it's existing fanbase wants to kill one another and often go out of their way to sabotage any new series. That was AGE's big problem at the start; internet trolls sabotaged people's initial interest in the show via misinformation.
That's the scary thing I've been seeing on the internet. Its a bandwagoning thing too, making it fashionable to hate stuff.

It would be sad if people killed Gundam because Bandai refuse to go back to UC.
Old 2013-11-06, 05:45   Link #385
NeutralZero

UC has its charm but so does AC...
Since this show can be considered for all age, is this their ploy to lure in more viewers?
after all almost all Gundam series no matter how young the pilots were, its primary target are teens and up viewers...
Kids are far more innocent and is easy to lured with robot toy product...
its refreshing to have this kind of series once in a while...

X getting canned (hope GBF won't follow a similar fate), wasn't it just because of saturation? like every year there a new gundam series after the last one just ended... G, W then X. Turn A appeared 3 years after...
The same can be said now, there's only a maximum of a year or so time gap between one gundam series to another.... from seed to destiny, 00 s1 and s2, age then the current one (not including the Unicorn OVA)

Also can't wait for the appearance of Aila. We may like China for out megane fetish but a long haired beauty is always welcome...
NeutralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-06, 06:17   Link #386
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
Anyone able to pull up current ratings based on current position (in series, so up to EP5) and from average of ALL the sources in which it was broadcasted?

Basing overall ratings so far this early on EP 1, off of one broadcasting station out of a few, is extremely shaky data

I also wonder how they keep track of ratings from their streaming on Youtube for the foreign countries, or whether they are even calculated into overall scores at all
Only ep 1 data is available for now. And TV Tokyo being one of the big networks is going to be where most of the viewing take place. The other two will have limited impact since they are satellite channels (should have said AT-X and not TokyoMX). The viewership for the YouTube videos are easily tracked, you can see it right on the page, and they probably have something similar for the Bandai Channel videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I can't explain why that is so myself... Apart from writing some of the pages in tvtropes, why was SEED so popular?

Unless it was just goodwill from Turn A and it turned sour by end of the 1st season...

...and Destiny completely trampled whatever was left.

Anyway, I am more worried about Gundam than ever before. After all, the only Gundam series to be cancelled midseason was X, and I loved X...

...would be bad if the same fate is suffered by GBF.
Good news is model sales remain strong... It's just that the fans are getting older and older but if they still buy models at the same rate then There's no problem.
Old 2013-11-06, 21:07   Link #387
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Only ep 1 data is available for now. And TV Tokyo being one of the big networks is going to be where most of the viewing take place. The other two will have limited impact since they are satellite channels (should have said AT-X and not TokyoMX). The viewership for the YouTube videos are easily tracked, you can see it right on the page, and they probably have something similar for the Bandai Channel videos.
Ah kk

On the Youtube ratins....are you talking about the likes/dislikes? Or something else?
Old 2013-11-06, 21:28   Link #388
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
Ah kk

On the Youtube ratins....are you talking about the likes/dislikes? Or something else?
We are talking about viewership ratings. And the YouTube videos track viewers
Old 2013-11-07, 09:29   Link #389
gordol
Banned

Next ep summaries

Spoiler:
gordol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 10:13   Link #390
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

*reads episode 7's summary* Awe dang it, fan service junk. At least episode 8 sounds promising. I also wonder why Bandai is taking forever in revealing Beargguy-San, are they trying to make Beargguy 2?
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 13:18   Link #391
Frontier

Reiji giving up on Gunpla battles makes sense considering his only real interest lay in finally beating Yuuki. The title obviously means he'll find a new motivation for continuing, whether it be related to Gunpla itself or in getting a proper showdown with Yuuki.

I wasn't actually expecting this show to get a beach episode. But with Mao also in it, I'm sure there'll also be some plot mixed in. Somehow, I imagine Ral will also randomly show up .

Episode 8 debuts the Sengoku Astray, and I'm very interested in seeing what Gunpla Greg uses.

Episode 9 finally has China and the Bearguy in the spotlight, and we're likely to see more female Gunpla battlers as well. I'm looking forward to seeing China's first Fight .

Episode 10 kicks off the world tournament, and finally introduces Finland's Fighter Aira. I wonder who the Build Strike will get to fight, Mao, Ricardo or Nils? Actually, how many episodes does this series have? With all those guys, Aira, and maybe Yuuki, I have to wonder how the Build Strike is going to be able to get proper fights with them all if this is a 12-13 episode series.

EDIT: I just realized how fitting it is for Mao to show up in a beach episode. X had a beach episode

Last edited by Frontier; 2013-11-16 at 17:16.
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 18:30   Link #392
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Er... That plot pacing... How are they going to finish in 26 episodes? :s
Old 2013-11-07, 18:55   Link #393
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I just realized how fitting it is for Mao to show up in a beach episode. X had a beach episode
Yeah, X had it. With a Newtype dolphin to boot .
Old 2013-11-07, 19:07   Link #394
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

00 also had a beach episode. Not as uncommon as you think.
Old 2013-11-07, 19:14   Link #395
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
00 also had a beach episode. Not as uncommon as you think.
And there are both fanservice and manservice in it. Equality FTW!
Old 2013-11-07, 22:02   Link #396
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Reiji giving up on Gunpla battles makes sense considering his only real interest lay in finally beating Reiji. The title obviously means he'll find a new motivation for continuing, whether it be related to Gunpla itself or in getting a proper showdown with Reiji.

I wasn't actually expecting this show to get a beach episode. But with Mao also in it, I'm sure there'll also be some plot mixed in. Somehow, I imagine Ral will also randomly show up .

Episode 8 debuts the Sengoku Astray, and I'm very interested in seeing what Gunpla Greg uses.

Episode 9 finally has China and the Bearguy in the spotlight, and we're likely to see more female Gunpla battlers as well. I'm looking forward to seeing China's first Fight .

Episode 10 kicks off the world tournament, and finally introduces Finland's Fighter Aira. I wonder who the Build Strike will get to fight, Mao, Ricardo or Nils? Actually, how many episodes does this series have? With all those guys, Aira, and maybe Yuuki, I have to wonder how the Build Strike is going to be able to get proper fights with them all if this is a 12-13 episode series.

EDIT: I just realized how fitting it is for Mao to show up in a beach episode. X had a beach episode

$100 on there will not be a single episode without Ral appearing

The pacing for the episode summaries seems fine to me, 15 episodes is more than enough to wrap up the world tournament and whatever else is in store

Hooray for beach episode XD

Interesting how theres a girl division.....I personally do not see any reason for it as unlike sports differences in bodies are never a factor in gunpla battles.
Old 2013-11-07, 23:15   Link #397
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

What if there's a really big skill difference between male and female pilots...

Or maybe slightly different criteria, like how well-constructed or how cute, because Bearguy certainly isn't going to be winning beam fights with that ribbon in place. LOL

No, I hate the notion that Gundam is segregating the sexes... I'm hoping there's a good reason for right, and not Imperial Sexism at play here.
Old 2013-11-08, 00:09   Link #398
Frontier

Wait, Build Fighters is a two-cour ?
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 06:59   Link #399
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

@ Segregation

I think because the modification difference

Bearguy and Bearguy III are almost nigh unrecognizable by normal terms.

Anyway, this is the gundam show I liked the most since SEED. The honesty and boldness of the kids somehow enhanced the viewing experience.
Old 2013-11-08, 07:04   Link #400
Aurelis
Daydreamer

I hope the difference in gender is due to something technical, like different game equipment specification. Just as I hope SD fighters are separated from HG fighters.

Now, it's that Finland guy I'm curious about. What will he use!?

ENTER NEO-FINLAND UNREVEALED MOBILE FIGHTER
Aurelis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen