AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-04-04, 20:21   Link #1881
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
I WANT BC, wtf is up with it, basically sony is sticking me the finger and telling me to buy a hundred dollar system just to play my back catalog... Its sooo damn frustrating, is there any possibility that BC software emulation might come back, because playing the ps2 on a HD tv is NOT pretty.
I thought software emulation for the PS3 to play PS2 games is rather imperfect?
Old 2009-04-04, 20:23   Link #1882
Nosauz

better than nothing, really have you tried to play ps2 on an HDTv? Its probably the granniest shit you'll ever play, at least with BC for the 60 and 30gb models with upscale and rendering, the games are playable and not so damn harsh on the eyes.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 20:26   Link #1883
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Aye. None of my TVs are HD, and that is part of the reason why I'm putting off my purchase of a 3, along with the lack of backward compatibility. Those earlier models with the Emotion Engine chip in them won't be cheap, I guess.
Old 2009-04-04, 20:31   Link #1884
Nosauz

I mean, I rarely use it to play blurays because their to expensive to buy and watching the dark knight for the umpteenth times gets boring, but sometimes you jsut get the urge to play some ps2 and since my modded ps2 went caput i haven't been able to play any of my legit games and shilling a hundred dollars for a system that really isn't worth a hundred dollars just drives me nutz, i mean with a hundred dollars I could get a dsi and go play the new pokemon which would be a better investment imo.
Old 2009-04-04, 20:31   Link #1885
TubZzz
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to TubZzz
Quote:
I WANT BC, wtf is up with it, basically sony is sticking me the finger and telling me to buy a hundred dollar system just to play my back catalog... Its sooo damn frustrating, is there any possibility that BC software emulation might come back, because playing the ps2 on a HD tv is NOT pretty.
i know what you mean... it sucks playing a ps2 on HDTV, its all out of proportion and stuff... hopefully someone somewhere is doing something about bringing BC back to the ps3
TubZzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 20:31   Link #1886
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Well, I still have a working Made In Japan PS2 30006 model that dates back to '02 which is now currently plug into my PC monitor via a $70 VGA Box. You could do the same here and just used your PS3 exclusively on the HD TV.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 20:34   Link #1887
Nosauz

yea but currently my ps2 is dead, may it rest in peace, and sometimes for nostalgia sake I would like to boot up some of my games with out dropping a substantial amount of dough to make that happen.
Old 2009-04-04, 20:35   Link #1888
CybEssen
A gentle ripple

Quote:
better than nothing, really have you tried to play ps2 on an HDTv? Its probably the granniest shit you'll ever play, at least with BC for the 60 and 30gb models with upscale and rendering, the games are playable and not so damn harsh on the eyes.
No kidding. I tried a component connection on the PS2 with a game without progressive support and it looked like a washing machine accident...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Aye. None of my TVs are HD, and that is part of the reason why I'm putting off my purchase of a 3, along with the lack of backward compatibility. Those earlier models with the Emotion Chip in them won't be chip, I guess.
Clearly they phased out the BC to underhandedly sell more PS2s. I find it ironic, since Sony jumped on their high horses talking about BC and now look who the hypocrites are. Sony's answer to BC: Just buy a PS2! Look, we even cut it to $99!
Old 2009-04-04, 20:37   Link #1889
TubZzz
*IT Support

also it would be way more convenient if we had one machine to run our ps1, ps2 and ps3 software... i think that's that everyone ultimately wants... everything wrapped up in a neat little package
Old 2009-04-04, 20:38   Link #1890
Nosauz

See i would consider buying a ps2 for 99 dollars IF it was region free and allowed me to play my god damn imports, but this is not the case, which again baffles the shit out of me. And really I hate the wii, but its BC is amazing which makes me wonder if I hadn't been a xbox ps2 dc owner and gaycube owner that I might be wiihead this generation.
Old 2009-04-04, 20:43   Link #1891
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubZ View Post
also it would be way more convenient if we had one machine to run our ps1, ps2 and ps3 software... i think that's that everyone ultimately wants... everything wrapped up in a neat little package
They pulled out the models with the EE chips, and later did away with software emulation. Sony, are you up to something?
Old 2009-04-04, 20:45   Link #1892
TubZzz
*IT Support

they're up to ripping us off i think... the ps3 has been long overdue for a price cut imo
Old 2009-04-04, 20:51   Link #1893
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Presently, I'm thinking of sharing a PS3 with a doc friend of mine. He's always busy, so the plan is for him to drop over to my place if he wants to play.

Anyway, is it true that without HDTV, the improvement in graphics for 3 is marginal?
Old 2009-04-04, 20:53   Link #1894
CybEssen
A gentle ripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
They pulled out the models with the EE chips, and later did away with software emulation. Sony, are you up to something?
Yeah, they wanted to stop hemorrhaging money so they started cost cutting and removing "unnecessary" things from the PS3. I think they are at least break even or slight profit on the PS3 now, if they cut again they'll start losing money again. Everyone wants a cut, no one is getting one.
Old 2009-04-04, 20:54   Link #1895
Nosauz

yep this true for any next gen console except for ones that start with w, and end i and rhyme with meeeeeee. Other than the games, next gen consoles touted was HD gaming and for most with out a lcd display/ hd tv you won't be able to get the graphical update these sytems have to offer. Bascially your games will look like sharper crisper version of ps2/xbox but since your playign them at about 6ft away the details become harder to discern.
Old 2009-04-04, 22:10   Link #1896
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Luckily, I bought my 80GB Metal Gear 4 PS3 bundle (paid $499 for it) which had software BC support which I used alot. I wished that Sony still sold a BC compatible PS3 because PS2 games would look horrible on a HDTV...

But... since the PS3 game library is improving (especially more JRPGs are coming to PS3), I have no complaints.
Old 2009-04-04, 22:33   Link #1897
TubZzz
*IT Support

over here in Australia we only had the 60gb CECHCxx model which is like the initial 80gb CECHExx from North America in that it emulates the Emotion Engine... than they discontinued that model to release the 40gb and now the 80gb CECHKxx model
Old 2009-04-04, 22:36   Link #1898
TubZzz
*IT Support

i've got no complaints though... i've always been a fan of Sony products due to their quality and to some extent their integrity
Old 2009-04-04, 22:42   Link #1899
Nosauz

ps3 library is great, considering their getting that exclusive tales of, albeit late still, ps3 does not lack quality title, but I would just like to enjoy some of my favorites on the ps2 in faux hd thats all, without having to buy another machine to cram my media cabinet with. I have enough wires to deal with as it is, considering my ps3, stereo system, dvr... its already a mess i don't need more!!!!
Old 2009-04-04, 22:43   Link #1900
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubZ
Well, that already exists as you probably know.

The 20, 60 GB and—to some extent—the old 80 GB PS3 models are able to do all of what you mentioned. It was certainly a risk, buying a 60 GB back then despite its high price, but I feel that it was all worth it in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz
See i would consider buying a ps2 for 99 dollars IF it was region free and allowed me to play my god damn imports, but this is not the case, which again baffles the shit out of me.
I once bought a JP PS2 in Japan, and when I returned home for a while, I had a mod chip installed so it could play US games as well. It's one of the advantages of coming from a country where piracy is quite rampant, but on the other hand it's also risky for the machine itself. To this day it still works, and I mainly used it for JP PS2 games only.

My old, fat, region 1 workhorse feels like it's about to give up its ghost one of these days, but she's still alive and well.

As for my 60 GB PS3, I can't help but feel that it has increased in value somewhat from my point of view.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
console, ps3, sony