AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-03-19, 14:57   Link #521
Tenzen12

I don't think there is any particular point defending Maomao as it's inconsequential to argument what kind of person Lakan is... BUUUT I guess I can entertain that direction of discussion as well.

First of all noone ever is endearing or symphatetic by being "terrible person". They might be in spite of that though. Second having flaws alone doesn't make you necessarily bad person. For example being jealous is flaw, but it doesn't make you bad person until you start chain you boyfriend/girlfriend to wall in your basement. Maomao certainly is flawed, but I can't recall any instance where her flaws would actual hurt someone else. In contrary she generally trying to help others even if she causes trouble for herself (it's not that long she almost got herself killed in process trying save someone).

Well, I can imagine she might help escape certain conspirator in exchange for death faking drug or somthing similiar, but I think it's fair to give her benefit of doubt until she fall that low.
Old 2024-03-19, 16:12   Link #522
magnuskn

And Lakan also hasn't hurt anybody, except by being literally unable to understand a situation due to his neurodivergency.
Old 2024-03-19, 16:15   Link #523
ryllharu

One example? Maomao poisons herself for curiosity, without any forethought into how that makes others feel that care about her.

It's played up for laughs, but the retelling of Madam frequently punching her so hard she vomits and Jinshi shoving emetic into her mouth were both examples of Maomao doing very risky things without the consideration of others.

That's her biggest flaw. She doesn't value her own life at all.

I'm happy for you if you haven't experienced that type of personality flaw in someone, but it certainly can contribute to being a "terrible" person.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-19, 16:20   Link #524
Tenzen12

In that case let's agree to disagree as I don't consider self-harming of lack self-value as traits qualifying others as bad person much less terrible, I limit to actually others. Suicide is selfish if they have people that care for them, but I don't consider this to be same as what Maomao does as it mostly doesn't cause trouble for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
And Lakan also hasn't hurt anybody, except by being literally unable to understand a situation due to his neurodivergency.
He almost killed Jinshi by his inaction. He throw impossible task on him to harass him (Maomao almost collapsed due that) and of course he wiped his oily hands into other people clothing.

Also while he has prosopagnosia, he is not autistic, he understand consequences of his actions just fine.
Old 2024-03-19, 16:35   Link #525
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Remember when he wiped his hands on a dude's hat? He does stuff like that all the time. It's not a great evil, but I wouldn't say it's completely harmless either.

And he loves to waste Jinshi's time, when he knows Jinshi's already overworked.

At the end of the day Lakan's just a very selfish person. He doesn't mean harm, he doesn't mean good, he just does whatever amuses him.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-20, 01:29   Link #526
magnuskn

It's true that Lakan wanting Maomao to shine did put Jinshi in danger. And, yeah, wiping his hands on the hat of some random dude is rude. But I think his actions actually do come about due to his neurodivergency, since he just doesn't seem to understand the emotions of most other people, since due to it they are, literally, faceless to him and he does categorize them as chess pieces to be moved about.

But good points overall from y'all.
Old 2024-03-22, 21:07   Link #527
Alchemist007
*Author

I thought it was just funny.
Old 2024-03-23, 11:27   Link #528
Huh...?

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-23, 13:17   Link #529
Frontier

Lakan always wanted to be a father to Maomao, to make up for his mistake, and to be there for her...but he realizes now it may be too late to prevent her from hating him. Though that's not going to stop him from being mad a certain handsome prince is getting handsy with his daughter .

Lakan could have his pick of any courtesan, even Meimei, and he's fond enough of her (even if all these lovely ladies are just Go piece heads to him), but Meimei knows there's only one woman he really wants and one woman that still needs him...and she opens the door and lets him hear Fengxian's voice. And Lakan scrambles to see her, and no matter how decayed she is, to him she looks as young and beautiful as the day he last saw her and they play together just like before. And he wants her now more than ever .

Well, at least Basen is channeling his frustration towards Loulan instead of Maomao for once .

Aw, look at Suiren being a doting grandma to Maomao again .

Jinshi wants to know Maomao's real feelings, and in reality she doesn't hate her biological father, in fact she understands his situation (thanks to Luomen) and realizes her own mothers' culpability in what happened, but it doesn't change the fact that circumstances as they are she can't see him as more than a sperm donor, but she's at least glad she has Luomen in her life. But poor Gaoshun out there speaking for all dads .

Also I love how Maomao is mad at Lakan for not applying his genius properly, otherwise Suirei would've been caught and Maomao would have a resurrection potion at the ready .

Well, a courtesan has been bought, and while it's not Meimei, Maomao is willing to dance for this courtesan in a majestic, beautiful, and graceful dance to send them off...the least she can do for a woman she never really knew, but was still birthed in this world by .

And Maomao does this dance with an audience of no one...except Jinshi, who catches her when she almost falls in surprise. Bet Jinshi didn't mind seeing Maomao dressed up like that at all .

Fengxian was never a mother to Maomao, and the only memory she has of her is the nightmare of losing a finger (that grew back) or what people have said about her in hushed whispers...but at least Maomao is willing to move on with her life now, and her biological parents at least have each other now .

I love how overprotective of Maomao Jinshi gets. Her leg wound acts up and he's willing to jump a wall and carry her once more! Of course just when he thinks they're sharing a tender moment...Maomao brings up the Ox Bozoar again. I kind of don't blame him for the headbutt. But at least she's fine talking to him casually when he starts acting like himself instead of like an official .

Well, things are back to normal for Maomao and Jinshi as they continue their relationship of working cases together! A relationship that will carry them into season 2 !
Old 2024-03-23, 14:09   Link #530
nojay
Scanlator

(Dancing scene) Welp, there goes the animation budget...

I'm beginning to wonder if the anime biz has taken to doing motion capture for things like dancing? There have been a few dance scenes which have better-than-standard animation in the past season or two (frex, the Stark and Fern dance scene in Sousou no Frieren).

Second season confirmed, not a surprise. Looking forward to more of the chaos gremlin and her victims.

Edit: a second look, when Lakan starts playing the Go game with Fengxian she appears in his eyes as how she looked to him eighteen years ago, before he left her. However in the reverse shot Lakan looks eighteen years younger too, as if he is being seen through Fengxian's eyes. The director actually presaged this by having Lakan lose his monocle when he jumped over the fence earlier and we even hear him crunch it underfoot. God-tier directing.

Last edited by nojay; 2024-03-23 at 17:23. Reason: Second thoughts
nojay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-23, 14:18   Link #531
magnuskn

I've gotten rather late into this series, but it has been exquisite. And a season 2 confirmed before Frieren as well.

9,5/10, would watch people fail to communicate properly with another again.
Old 2024-03-23, 14:28   Link #532
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Thank god they announced season 2 already. Still a long wait but I am willing to wait. I cannot wait for the introduction of certain someone.

Last edited by Nachtwandler; 2024-03-23 at 19:02.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-23, 17:01   Link #533
scififan

La Kan's way to deal with his prosopagnosia is assining Shogi words to faces. In anime, he uses Xiangqi words on faces. It is creepy for him to receive Maomao's finger from Fengxian. It is like yakuza/mafia treatment. Maybe it is meant to show how love can turn into hate. Losing family becomes his motivation to rise in rank. He got involved into political infighting as retaliation. Now, he doesn't care anymore. If Maomao is raised by him, she would have different personality. Maybe she would become a villainess. Having Pairin and Meimei as Maomao's mother figures, Maomao has twisted mentality, but she is on a good path. Also, La Kan's payment for freedom of a courtesan is likely referring to a historical local samurai lord. The samurai lord used his annual salary to buy off a geisha. Shogun thought it is sign of waste spending and punished the local samurai lord. The geisha did not live long after staying together with the samurai lord. In La Kan's case, he had his revenge. He feels no different to any political turmoil. His only concern is Maomao.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-23, 19:22   Link #534
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So Fengxian's survival really was hidden from Lakan all these years. Even those who knew of his circumstances like Maomao, Meimei, and Luomen never said anything until now. In fact, Maomao didn't really say anything and simply provided a hint, and deep down she actually wished Meimei had been chosen. It makes me wonder why she bothered with that... she sees neither Fengxian nor Lakan as her parents, so why do that for them? Did she just feel sorry for them?

I would also like to know how Lakan found out Maomao was his daugther since I'm pretty sure Granny would never tell him. Did his face blindness turn into some sort of superpower by allowing him to see little Maomao's face and therefore instantly knowing she was his daughter?

Anyway, I feel even worse for the guy than I did last week. He was done really dirty. The reason Maomao hates him is even super petty: she's jealous of him because Luomen praises him so much and dislikes his laziness. I know he didn't make the best first impression either, but she should have gotten over that by now. Poor guy, all he wants is her love. Gaoshun could sympathize.

Happy a second season has been announced.
Old 2024-03-23, 19:33   Link #535
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

MaoMao said this episode that he can see her face. But it took time for him to understand she is his kid. It will be explained a bit more next season.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-23, 22:01   Link #536
Decel

It's nice to have some plot threads being tied up in this season finale.

The dance was well animated, but I personally hated the constantly changing camera/pov . Brought the whole scene down 2 pegs.

9/10 overall (more of a strong 8.5, but I'll keep it simple). It is a really fun series. It's practically impossible for me to not compare this to Frieren (timing, quality). While Maomao is clearly an incredibly strong character, one of the best female leads in recent memory, the rest of the cast is rather ho-hum and the gap is magnified by this discrepancy. I feel that I would watch spin-offs of most of Frieren's side characters, while no one besides Maomao really interests me. Maybe Jinshi, but even then, I have no strong feelings about his situation. In fact I'd actually rather have a slice-of-life of Xiaolan's situation instead (credit to her VA in the first cour).

The Lakan backstory is interesting, background-story-wise, but overall the second cour felt weaker than the first. I felt that there was more intensity in the first part; I was more interested in the intricacies of the Rear Palace. That dud of an episode with the 3 sons didn't help either and felt forced.

Nonetheless, it's a good thing the second season is in production. I assume it would slot in around for a fall season?

Last edited by Decel; 2024-03-23 at 22:54.
Decel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-23, 22:24   Link #537
fukarming

Let's put the timeline together

Lakan and Fengxian have sex.
Lakan was away for 3 years
Fengxian was pregnant - and started sending many letters to Lakan during the pregnancy
Get despaired when no reply from the letter, thinking Lakan has betrayed her.
Sent the cutoff fingers to Lakan
Fengxian became the lowest level of prostitute - either because of economic pressure or her hate of Lakan, or both.
Fengxian got syphilis

The above is quite clear, but I am not sure about the timeline of the following

Lakan returns after 3 years
Fengxian lost her mind
Fengxian returns to the brothel and lived there as a patient

I guess my question is Fengxian made her conscious choice not talking to Lakan after he returns, or by that time she already lost her mind?

How come in 10 years no one did what MeiMei does in this episode?
Is it the Mama-san "thinks she knows what is best for Fengxian"?

Just thinking everyone will be much happier if what happened in this episode happens 10 years before:

Lakan can spend more time with Fengxian. Now he only has a limited amount time left as Fengxian is dying.
Fengxian may be angry with Lakan when MaoMao is born. But Lakan was never given the opportunity to explain himself. After she lost her mind, Lakan can obviously take better care of Fengxian - both in a material and emotional standpoint.
MeiMei falls in love with Lakan in the 10 years, after realizing his deep devotion to Fengxian. Now her heart is broken
Mama-san - she can get the money off Lakan much earlier and not take care of Fengxian for 10 years
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-24, 00:18   Link #538
Alchemist007
*Author

The adventures of the crafty cat, Maomao and her solving the mysteries of the imperial court and locale. Fun and tragic characters alike, and another season confirmed.

9/10
Old 2024-03-24, 02:34   Link #539
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post

Fengxian was pregnant - and started sending many letters to Lakan during the pregnancy
Fengxian became the lowest level of prostitute - either because of economic pressure or her hate of Lakan, or both.
Fengxian got syphilis

Fengxian lost her mind

I guess my question is Fengxian made her conscious choice not talking to Lakan after he returns, or by that time she already lost her mind?

Just thinking everyone will be much happier if what happened in this episode happens 10 years before:

Lakan can spend more time with Fengxian. Now he only has a limited amount time left as Fengxian is dying.
Fengxian may be angry with Lakan when MaoMao is born. But Lakan was never given the opportunity to explain himself. After she lost her mind, Lakan can obviously take better care of Fengxian - both in a material and emotional standpoint.
MeiMei falls in love with Lakan in the 10 years, after realizing his deep devotion to Fengxian. Now her heart is broken
Mama-san - she can get the money off Lakan much earlier and not take care of Fengxian for 10 years
Yeah, I kinda come away thinking of both Mama-san and Loumen as selfish, terrible people. And now I can add Maomao to that list as well, sadly, since apparently she knew all along what happened and didn't tell Lakan out of misplaced spite.

Still an excellent show, but all the characters on Maomao's families side have even more flawed personalities than I thought at first.
Old 2024-03-24, 03:18   Link #540
Xiyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post

Fengxian got syphilis

Fengxian lost her mind

I don't think mama-san was necessarily selfish, but I think she also made an error in judgement.

To her, I think she was initially furious at Lakan for not returning sooner while, at the same time, not wanting Lakan to buy out Fengxian because, to her, the thought of word getting out that one of Verdigiris's top courtesans at the time has tertriary syphilis would likely tarnish their reputation.

Maybe Mama-san convinced Lakan that Fengxian died. It helped her doubly so that Lakan saw Maomao, so his attention was diverted from inquiring about Fengxian and to trying to acquire Maomao.

Meimei, for her part, might've also wanted to get bought out by Lakan, hence her silence until now.

Overall, I think the whole thing was just a series of misunderstandings that escalated.

Unfortunate, sure--- maybe with Lakan's money, Fengxian wouldn't've have progressed this badly, who knows.

If Lakan wasn't such a scummy-looking person or whatever he did that made Maomao despise him, maybe young Maomao wouldn't have been terrified of him, and would've told him Fengxian was still alive.

Maybe it was Fengxian herself with neurosyphilis that told everyone not to tell Lakan.

Overall, at least there's a satisfying conclusion, or as satisfying as we can get, to Fengxian's and Lakan's tale.

Now if only daddy Lakan can win Maomao's affection, one day.

Really rooting for the dude to turn his life around
Xiyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaption, smart female protagonist