AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > True Tears

Notices

View Poll Results: True Tears - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 41 30.60%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 29.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 38 28.36%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 8.21%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.75%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.75%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-29, 16:02   Link #241
jaisrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
It just sucks because Noe is like a breath of fresh air in this show and it's gonna be lame if the ending is really the same as what I'm expecting. -_- I'm hoping for a cute twist in the end.
The thing is, Noe's cute character clashes with the overall tone and theme set by the writers for the show. This show is mostly about tears, deep emotions and drama. So her intended role is to provide that "breath of fresh air" while helping Shin but having her be the one in the end with Shin would'nt make sense because it would'nt fit into the nature of the show itself.

It would make sense in a different type of show with a more lighthearted and less serious feel to it to have Noe be the one. Characters have to match the show to make sense, otherwise it feels out of place.
Old 2008-02-29, 22:33   Link #242
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisrh
The thing is, Noe's cute character clashes with the overall tone and theme set by the writers for the show. This show is mostly about tears, deep emotions and drama. So her intended role is to provide that "breath of fresh air" while helping Shin but having her be the one in the end with Shin would'nt make sense because it would'nt fit into the nature of the show itself.

It would make sense in a different type of show with a more lighthearted and less serious feel to it to have Noe be the one. Characters have to match the show to make sense, otherwise it feels out of place.

So does this mean Noe has to be another emo girl in order to end up with Shin? lol I don't think so. I don't think the writers want the show to be as emo (like Hiromi) as well or I wouldn't be here fascinated by this series. They made Noe to be this lovable character that brightens Shin's day--like an angel. I don't see anything wrong with the main character being able to "take off to the sky" and "seeing the sky in a different light" and having a happy ending with Noe. That would be so much better to see than him ending up with Hiromi. Unfortunately, seems like the girl with the most problems wins here, not to mention, Hiromi found him first haha The only thing that bothers me is that it looks like Noe's purpose will be an unrewarded thing since the apparent HiromixShin ending that's soooo obvious since ep. 1 still hasn't changed. Bummer ^_^
Old 2008-02-29, 23:41   Link #243
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisrh View Post
The thing is, Noe's cute character clashes with the overall tone and theme set by the writers for the show. This show is mostly about tears, deep emotions and drama. So her intended role is to provide that "breath of fresh air" while helping Shin but having her be the one in the end with Shin would'nt make sense because it would'nt fit into the nature of the show itself. It would make sense in a different type of show with a more lighthearted and less serious feel to it to have Noe be the one. Characters have to match the show to make sense, otherwise it feels out of place.
This is a good general point, but I don't think it applies in this show. Noe is the one who has lost her tears. She is the one who was always crying until the day she couldn't cry any more. She is just as sad as any of the rest of them, but has these weird ways of dealing with life to get around her deep sadness, just as Hiromi has basketball and Ai has her work. Noe is a breath of fresh air, but there is a dank, chilly gust of desperation there, too.

I guess I should add that I often find things like music can be emotionally effective when they play against what's going on in the show: ominous music behind a happy scene, or vice-versa. Simoun did that a lot. Whether this kind of effective contrast extends to entire characters, I'm not sure, but it could.

I have a combination of hope and confidence that the writers will come up with a satisfying way of bringing this to a conclusion, whoever ends up with Shin. Hiromi is the most likely to, but I think there is at least the possibility that it could end another way. The writers could take the myths from the first episode and work them in a different direction. In any case, I think they can make the conclusion emotionally satisfying -- even if it isn't happy for all.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2008-02-29, 23:43   Link #244
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm hoping for Hiromi X Shin ending, but what would really disappoint me is if Ai ends up with Nobuse. To me, that would be a pat ending.
Old 2008-03-01, 00:00   Link #245
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejvenim View Post
The sudden sweetness of Noe feels very out of place in relation to her usual eccentric and weird personality.

If Aiko show such sweetness, then it is logical and reasonable as it is consistent with her caring nice girl personality and her long time affection for Shin. However Noe is an eccentric and weird chicken girl for a very long time before she met Shin, one day she became Shin's girlfriend and suddenly display her girly sweetness, it feel so very fake.
I'm sorry but wasn't she sweet to her gran? Isn't she sweet to her bro? Noe didn't realise she liked Shin "that way", until now. Remember she has been labelled a "easy girl" by her peers, I don't blame her to be out of sorts around people she doesn't really know.

Again with the one sided views of Ai. Sure she treats Shin nice, but is the way she is treating Nobu nice? Also since we have only been shown her interactions around these two then you can't really say she is a nice caring girl all around. Out of the 2 people we have see her interact with I wouldn't say the way she deals with Nobu is all that sweet or caring.
Old 2008-03-01, 01:43   Link #246
ani_d

Heh, Ai. -_- I'm glad she was rejected if it wasn't too obvious. It sucks for Miyokichi (sp) to deal with someone like her. She's so cold to him. I'm the one who's feeling bad here. I have no pity for Ai at all. She brought it on herself anyway, why the heck would she agree to be Miyokichi's girlfriend if she knew she wasn't about to give up loser Shin in the first place. I think Shin's mom has more screentime than her lol For a main character, she's so irrelevant.

But I guess this is what harem is all about. Too bad this kind of thing doesn't happen in real life haha
Old 2008-03-01, 02:19   Link #247
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
But I guess this is what harem is all about. Too bad this kind of thing doesn't happen in real life haha
But Shin's mum does exist in real life *shudder*
Old 2008-03-01, 02:50   Link #248
lea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejvenim View Post
The sudden sweetness of Noe feels very out of place in relation to her usual eccentric and weird personality.

If Aiko show such sweetness, then it is logical and reasonable as it is consistent with her caring nice girl personality and her long time affection for Shin. However Noe is an eccentric and weird chicken girl for a very long time before she met Shin, one day she became Shin's girlfriend and suddenly display her girly sweetness, it feel so very fake.
It’s a little disheartening that people may dislike Noe simply because she’s weird. I think it’s wonderful that she’s able to stay strong (as Shin and Jun characterize her) and be who she is, without caring about the rumors that are spread about her. Eccentric and weird does not preclude a character from being sweet. Yes, she is weird, but there is kindness, good intentions and, yes, sweetness, behind those weird gestures (taking care of the chickens, feeding Shin chicken feed, encouraging Shin to fly, etc.). She is very caring (or else she wouldn't be taking care of chickens!), and she is nice (making lunch for Shin). The sweetness is completely in character for her. Also, from the very beginning, keep in mind that, out of the three girls, she has been positioned as the "angel." She is almost too sweet!

Last edited by lea; 2008-03-01 at 03:05.
Old 2008-03-01, 13:25   Link #249
Var
Banned

Right, I've been bogged down with work the last couple days, sorry for the delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Ignoring Shin's good boy status there me thinks. Sure mistakes can be amended, but Aiko made a choice and that choice was hugely non-beneficial to her ultimate goal of wanting to go out with Shin. Can't you even see the current signs? Her current BF is only sticking with her because either he loves her lots and is very understanding, or is a sap with no self respect (sure plenty of others too). One of her best friends freaked on her and now is avoiding her, who happens to be the guy she likes. The guy she likes is still going out with another girl and still liking another girl. So her:

First move to not confess her feelings to Shin: I see no benefit
Second move to accept Nobu's feelings: Negative due to Shin being a good boy, as Nobu is his best friend.
Third move: Finally confess to him when he quite happily tells her that he has met someone else (ie he is trying to move on from Hiromi) and grabbing a snog: She got told exactly where she stands (ie no where) and the guy and her best friend does a runner.

A mistake? Probably in the eye of the beholder, but I can't see much romanic yummy goodness there unless the writers are aiming for another over coming the odds thing again.
I don't believe I was ignoring Shin's good boy status. I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Var
In the end, though, it is about who made the most mistakes since mistakes tend to alienate the people around you.
I can easily see that Aiko's made too many mistakes to be in the running but at the same time I can say its possible that things can be amended due to the simple lack of time/development beyond three scenes. One scene is a reactionary scene, one scene is a reminiscient scene, and one is a scene of avoidance. The first and final are against Ai, the middle is vague and can go either way.

As for your moves:
First Move: Double edged sword. What if she confesses and Shin get's even more distressed than he already was? Do you go with your feelings for someone or do you go with whats best for the one you love? That's the problem here. Do we even have any indication that she was ever given an oppurtunity to confess? I won't so easily dismiss this as a mistake.
Second Move: Agreed a mistake, though I'd prefer to call it a series of misfortunous events.
Third Move: Quite happily tells her? Really? "I'm going out with Noe now, I don't really know how it happened but... Oh and I was standing outside in the snow because I was really happy inside." (Yes the latter was not actually said) Don't put a super positive spin on things, especially in a show called True Tears. This move is alot like move one, can you really call it a mistake? Or would not have doing anything been a mistake?

We can't just dismiss things as mistakes because they unfolded wrong, not doing anything (when the scenario has changed) would have been just as bad for her goal.

Another underdog winning? When was the last one? Two years ago? We've had how many drama shows since then? You make it sound like it happens every day... What would be the point of saying underdog then?

Quote:
Right lets get this out of the way first. I need to read Shin's mind to say that he thinks that he considers Ai is like his sister when it came out of his mouth, but you can make a statement like that from:

Shin saying her lips were soft : I read as his first kiss

Shin blushing: You do know that blushing != a nose bleed don't you? People blush when blood rushes to their face, that can happen when people are nervous, angry, excited as well as turned on.
Oy, you misunderstood. You're saying things like they've been forever carved into stone based on scenes of reaction. Since when do instant reactions to a strange situation count as thought out feelings or analysis of the situation?

Yes, his first kiss. Usually nose bleed goes more with turned on than a blush, so what is your exact point? A blush is usually used as a more innocent feeling, especially in these kinds of shows.

Oh and about coming from his mouth. Following your logic, he also said he'd forget about it, but since he didn't I guess that makes Shin a liar. I, however, won't make that jump simply due to the fact that it is a reaction to the strange situation. If he said it, say a day or two later, I'd be more inclined to believe him.

Quote:
You can make up any scenario you like. Mine is an obvious what could of happened. Yours is what you are claiming did happen. And here I thought someone was going to thwap me for my characterisation of Nobu
Really its obvious of what could have happened? Again, you don't know what's going through the characters heads, so don't use the word obvious. My version is based on what has been built up on through the show, and it did happen, I mean we saw it happen.

Quote:
Not particularly. That was a my personal judgement on her based on your description of her actions. I used Noe coz you judge her to be so childish and I'm saying actually Ai is childish. You can insert any childish person you like instead of Noe. Read the bit before the word Noe and try to realise where I was coming from. I was attacking your favourite character not comparing her.
Jun is my favorite character. Moving on. Ai is childish? I'd say Ai is too considerate and self sacrificing/stupid. I don't see her as childish at all, which is why I said your comparison is silly. Now, had you given me some more... info... on your view that Ai is childish then sure, its a fair comparison. Just saying she's childish doesn't really cut it, give me some sort of info based on the show.

Ai too considerate/self-sacrificing/stupid:
- She keeps her feelings bottled up since Shin is 'taken'
- We see that she has a hard time breaking up with Nobuse, even though she is unhappy but Nobuse is.
- She helps Shin in ways that are not favorable to her.
- She accepts to date the desperate(ly in love) Nobuse. (stupid)

Quote:
You go one about chronological order, but you sure don't use it yourself.

Right now Shin has been shown happy when he went out with Noe. Not just that he is walking around with a roaster hair style and a gormless smile on hs face. Noe is experiencing emotions she never had in a good way and appears to be happy too. Right now Noe's romantic relationship with Shin is not messy its nice and fluffy. Ai doesn't have a romantic relationship with Shin at all, hell she might not even have one with Nobu at the end of it. Hiromi doesn't a romantic relationship with Shin, she actually is going out with Jun and she most defiantly isn't happy. Compare away if you must, but I was just analysing each girls romantic situation in regards to Shin.
Yes, he was shown happy for ten minutes, which was subsequently wrecked by a certain Hiromi driving by. So... I see nothing wrong with my point of saying that he's preoccupied with with someone else as well.

Key word is appears. It would appear to me that while she is happy, Shin is still preoccupied. Everything about Noe and Shin's relationship is on surface value, thye enjoy each others company. Great. Though, unlike Hiromi and Shin, we are shown little of whos on whos mind. At the end of eight its quite noticeable that Hiromi and Shin are on each othersmind quite a bit.

As for Ai? She had no such thing to begin with, she was trying to make one. Will it happen? Who knows, looks unlikely, but the development in that regard is still to little.

Edit:
Spoiler for Don't read if you haven't watched 9:

Last edited by Var; 2008-03-01 at 13:57.
Old 2008-03-01, 14:37   Link #250
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Var View Post

As for Ai? She had no such thing to begin with, she was trying to make one. Will it happen? Who knows, looks unlikely, but the development in that regard is still to little.

Edit:
Spoiler for Don't read if you haven't watched 9:
Aiko was already a hopeless case, I was amazed that there were still people hoping for her to make a comeback. still...

Spoiler:
Old 2008-03-01, 22:21   Link #251
grey_moon

@Var - Hee hee I don't want to quote to avoid the epi 9 spoiler...

This is the whole thing about the whole Ai is too self sacrificing/considerate line of thought. Whatever her reasons for her not confessing before hand, if it was about self sacrifice then her latest move says to me that that isn't her type of personality.

Her latest (as in epi 8) move says she didn't move until she got pushed because she got really desperate. Which says to me that a more likely scenario is that she was to shy/scared to do anything about her true feelings and accepting Nobu's feelings was her easy way out.

Look about mistakes they are set in stone, unless we are watching Noein. She made a move, it happened. For all your wishing it can't change that she didn't confess and accepted Nobu's feelings instead. Hiromi won his heart (maybe triggered by the road scene?), and Noe was the person who was there for him after that. It doesn't matter if Shin has a sudden change of heart and decides to shag Ai and fall in love with her, she still made a mistake. Mistakes can be forgiven, they can be forgotten, but they can't be unmade unless you have a TARDIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by var
Ai too considerate/self-sacrificing/stupid:
- She keeps her feelings bottled up since Shin is 'taken'
- We see that she has a hard time breaking up with Nobuse, even though she is unhappy but Nobuse is.
- She helps Shin in ways that are not favorable to her.
- She accepts to date the desperate(ly in love) Nobuse. (stupid)
I dunno about you but I say the actions of above is that of someone who is immature and in-experience aka childish

What is the need to make out Ai to be so mature? She is only a child. Is it just to win the argument Ai is the best for Shin because she is the most mature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by var
Yes, he was shown happy for ten minutes, which was subsequently wrecked by a certain Hiromi driving by. So... I see nothing wrong with my point of saying that he's preoccupied with with someone else as well.
Shin took a little longer then 10 mins to draw a book. You are looking at scenes instead of thinking through the story's timeline.
Old 2008-03-02, 23:59   Link #252
grey_moon

@Var just watched epi 9 - In context of epi 8 and previous I can't see how we lose.
Old 2008-03-04, 10:20   Link #253
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
curious if people have discuss the meaning of the picture that hiromi burned before running away. the one where hiromi's mom has been cutoff and with the other half with shin's familly burned.
i m sure it could lead to an interresting discussion reguarding the change of attitude of shin's mom toward hiromi
Old 2010-02-23, 05:50   Link #254
qwertyuiopz

it looks like everyones a victim of circumstance and shin is the biggest victim
Closed Thread