AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > True Tears

Notices

Old 2008-01-30, 18:14   Link #21
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
HELL im with Dragoonkain3 if i had the option to buy in HD i wouldnt mind paying the extra money. Hell i bought the single HDDVD's of Freedom just because it was in HD and the story might not have been award winning but DAMN IT it was gorgeous.
Old 2008-01-30, 18:17   Link #22
Wavedash
Mayo on everything

Holy crap. This is one of the fastest turnarounds I can ever think of.

I agree that the high price is due to reverse importing. There's nothing else it could be. With a May release date, it might actually come out only shortly after the Japanese R2s and where would they be if they couldn't squeeze the yen out of their otaku?
Wavedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 18:24   Link #23
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzles View Post
this is a joke right? no matter how good a show is(and this is a dang good one) $30 for 25 minutes of entertainment?
At that price if there is another show I want to buy, this is the one I leave on the shelf.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 18:27   Link #24
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
For this series, I'm more than willing to pay the price. On one condition, there MUST be dubs.

And yes, I was willing to pay half a thousand dollars for two Cardcaptor Sakura box sets, only to find out before hand that they don't have dubs. Needless to say I didn't buy it, and seeing as this one won't, I ain't buying it either. Maybe when it's discounted as being in a box set, I'd buy it, but certainly not at that price w/out dubs.

Bandai Visual, do you hear me?
Agreed completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
And raise the DVD price to $50 because of the dub? no thnx.
Besides for quality, there would be nothing different from the TV version if they did not have dubs. Except maybe a few extras lasting 2-3 minutes long like Clean OP/ED...
And by saving $40x6+$30=$270, one could buy so much more.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 18:27   Link #25
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
I can understand about alot of fans wants their Anime with Sub Only and quick turnaround but paying that much for only 2 - 3 eps, that is stupid. I dont understand why they can atleast make a Dub out of this or even wait until the end of the story to see if it still stay good or not. I pray that this doesnt happen to a another series that I like (Spice and Wolf, they should make a dub out of this). I know that I have a job and I may got the funds to buy it but not for that much.
Old 2008-01-30, 18:37   Link #26
Wavedash
Mayo on everything

Here's a possibility. Could it be that Bandai is simply using these two series (true tears and Shigofumi) as a litmus test for the possibility of quick turnaround releases? To the best of my knowledge this kind of deal has never been done before.

For the longest time fans have wanted to get things as quick as the Japanese. But like all benefits there must be corresponding costs.

We also know that the industry is not in the best of shape recently. Geneon went into semi-closure and ADV is undergoing reorganizations as they close down overseas operations and shut down their club outreach program. No doubt licensors are looking for ways to do things newer, faster, better. Could Bandai be desperate enough to try this gamble with several good series they know have a fair chance of selling, simply based on the content?
Wavedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 18:41   Link #27
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedash View Post
Here's a possibility. Could it be that Bandai is simply using these two series (true tears and Shigofumi) as a litmus test for the possibility of quick turnaround releases? To the best of my knowledge this kind of deal has never been done before.

Could Bandai be desperate enough to try this gamble with several good series they know have a fair chance of selling, simply based on the content?
Whether this is true or not, I'd wish they would not use these two series as scapegoats...
Do they think that every anime fan in the world would cash up $40 for two episodes while there are plenty of other DVDs with 4 episodes for less...?

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-01-30, 18:46   Link #28
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I wasn't even following this show and I'm angry.

I wonder if they'll still blame fansubs when this doesn't sell...
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 19:02   Link #29
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

They might blame fansubs, but they won't be able to believe that propoganda if it actually sells worse than other shows that have been fansubbed.

More likely this is just an experiment devised as a compromise between the licensor and licensee. For a long time Bandai has wanted to release quickly, but the Japanese companies don't like the idea since their releases in Japan are so much more expensive. The Japanes companies fear that nobody will buy the R2 release if they R1 release is cheaper and comes out at the same time. I could easily see all those Japanese otaku importing Bandai USA's release to save a LOT of money.

This way, Bandai gets to release concurrently with the R2 release. If it sells poorly they'll know that it is a failed experiment and won't do it again. If it sells well, then Bandai will be laughing all the way to the bank. They'll make more money AND they will get their product to market faster.

We'll just have to wait a few months to see which outcome is true.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 19:06   Link #30
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
I wasn't even following this show and I'm angry.

I wonder if they'll still blame fansubs when this doesn't sell...
They probably would, I know that.

I am understanding what Wavedave coming from, but you have to remember there is alot of fans that like Dubs then Subs. Even know that they are trying to appeal to the Sub fans, they are neglecting the other side of it (I dont remember the numbers but it is like 60% likes Dubs and 40% likes Subs or something around that). Even know that they are doing faster releases and keeping it Subs, they are probably losing alot more money because of lack of funds from the Dub folks and they think that raising the price of DVDs, it can off-set that lose. But people isnt going to pay that much money for that. I give some props to BVUSA for trying but it is going to backfire badly in my opinion.

**Sorry about derailing this off-topic**
Old 2008-01-30, 19:18   Link #31
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
I am understanding what Wavedave coming from, but you have to remember there is alot of fans that like Dubs then Subs. Even know that they are trying to appeal to the Sub fans, they are neglecting the other side of it (I dont remember the numbers but it is like 60% likes Dubs and 40% likes Subs or something around that). Even know that they are doing faster releases and keeping it Subs, they are probably losing alot more money because of lack of funds from the Dub folks and they think that raising the price of DVDs, it can off-set that lose. But people isnt going to pay that much money for that. I give some props to BVUSA for trying but it is going to backfire badly in my opinion.
I don't know...BVUSA has been doing this for quite a while. It raised quite an uproar in fact, and many people claim they'll never buy their stuff, etc., etc.; but apparently they're still in business, so may be it actually works...?

[rant]

Me, I'm not paying for that, no sir. I'm a college student and we are the forever poor. I was amazed and felt very happy when I bought Kaleido Star/Kino's Journey boxsets from Best Buy at incredibly cheap prices, and thought that was an excellent way to go at the time. Now, on the other hand, I'm not amused at the idea of anime companies squeezing out American fans like they're...Japanese otaku. Japan is a cool country and all, but a lot of things there don't make sense. I like anime, but not enough to buy figures/posters/bags/merchandise/drama CD's/30$ 2-episode DVD's...

[/rant]
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 19:19   Link #32
Defron
Soy Bean

If this sells well props for Bandai, though I personally doubt it will.

Will I buy it? Yes... Once the price enters my "reasonably priced" range, or if it turns out to be HD.
Defron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 19:40   Link #33
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
I don't know...BVUSA has been doing this for quite a while. It raised quite an uproar in fact, and many people claim they'll never buy their stuff, etc., etc.; but apparently they're still in business, so may be it actually works...?

[rant]

Me, I'm not paying for that, no sir. I'm a college student and we are the forever poor. I was amazed and felt very happy when I bought Kaleido Star/Kino's Journey boxsets from Best Buy at incredibly cheap prices, and thought that was an excellent way to go at the time. Now, on the other hand, I'm not amused at the idea of anime companies squeezing out American fans like they're...Japanese otaku. Japan is a cool country and all, but a lot of things there don't make sense. I like anime, but not enough to buy figures/posters/bags/merchandise/drama CD's/30$ 2-episode DVD's...

[/rant]
I can feel for you man, I am in the Military and I dont even get pay that much anyway. BVUSA is trying to applease the Subs group that like Anime subbed, so that is how they getting their money but it wont be like a good series that is Dubbed and getting that much more. Alot of fans is in college or High School and they dont have that type of money to pay for a DVD that only have 1 - 3 eps on there. For True Tears, it is a very good series, but I dont really like what is going on with it.
Old 2008-01-30, 19:44   Link #34
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Basically, the more apt way to think of this is not as a "license" (considering this is the Japanese distributor's US office -- remember Bandai Visual is not Bandai Entertainment), but as a release of the R2 (Japanese) DVDs in North America (with subtitles). So this is very good for someone like me who was going to buy the R2 at R2 prices anyway -- now I can get the same thing for a bit cheaper with subtitles. Bonus for me.

I don't think how much it sells matters (to Bandai Visual) all that much. Right now, Bandai Visual is selling the DVDs in Japan only. By adding subtitles and distributing here, they've increased the market for the "Japanese DVD product" at little additional cost. Any sales they do get are (except for me, and a few like me) sales they wouldn't have gotten by just releasing in Japan alone. So this is "gravy money". And in this tight and shrinking DVD market, Bandai Visual probably figures that the little money they do make this way won't be much if any lower than the money they might have made by licensing.

So, no, I don't think they'll blame fansubs exactly when this doesn't "mass sell" at these prices (though, certainly, they and all licensors are wondering why sales are down while overall interest in anime is up). I don't think any "luxury brand" cares about selling to the "masses", and that's more the approach they seem to be taking. Everyone, including Bandai Visual, knows that higher prices mean lower sales volume, lower prices mean higher sale volume, and maximum profitability is obtained by finding the happy medium (if, in fact, maximum profitability is your goal).

In any event, all that being said, the problem with going against the grain like this is that the market has an expectation. I imagine that a number of people on these forums would have considered purchasing the show if it had appeared at normal market-accepted prices. So now what? Obviously that has no easy answer; if you can't afford/justify the expense, it's "no [legal] anime for you". That's a problem the industry needs to solve whether they go to this pricing model or not. As it stands, if they price themselves out of the market and don't provide an accessible alternative, it would tend to promote the very piracy they're speaking against.

In any event, I hope that adequately/sufficiently covers the various aspects of this issue. Invariably, debates on this topic turn into a combination of "they're stupid", "they're insane", "they're evil", and "they're ruining anime as we know it", with a light sprinkling of "they're just different" and "I'll just wait for the inevitable price drop" for good measure. I think we've now got all those bases covered in this thread, so perhaps this can help cut to the chase.

As I said, I'm personally happy for the announcement for the reason I stated above. But I recognize, of course, that's just me.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 19:50   Link #35
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I am pretty, freakin', stunned by this piece of news. True Tears isn't exactly one of those shows which I thought American companies would think of licensing.

Ja, yare yare da.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 19:50   Link #36
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Oh heck no...

Shigofumi, True Tears, what else is there..?

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 20:00   Link #37
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostleOfGod View Post
Oh heck no...

Shigofumi, True Tears, what else is there..?

Please do not give them any more idea on that, because it could get worse (looking at Horo Sig)
Old 2008-01-30, 20:03   Link #38
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
Please do not give them any more idea on that, because it could get worse (looking at Horo Sig)
Yeah... If they license Ookami to Koushinryou, they'd have effectively taken away three of the best series this season from normal buyers...

Old 2008-01-30, 20:05   Link #39
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Wow,that's fast.But if True Tears is good and really worth watching,i will buy it.Why not?
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 20:07   Link #40
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Yeah... If they license Ookami to Koushinryou, they'd have effectively taken away three of the best series this season from normal buyers...
True Dat, besides I heard a rumor (just a rumor, not else) that BVUSA was going after Ookami to Koushinryou too, but it didnt happen (yet). I think that it will be dubbed, in my opinion.