Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2015-10-12, 04:05   Link #6261
overlord
Overlord Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
depend on how much time you are willing to dedicated and whether reading LN is your only goal and Japanese profiency in general, but yes, it possible.
Do you know a good online source to learn japanese so that I can read Overlord raws or any light novel? I do not know where to start but I'm seriously considering learning it. I don't want to wait for 10 years before I can finish this LN.
overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-12, 04:08   Link #6262
Breimn

vol 10 should come this december so we can expect some more info about 20 30 days before it comes out.Considering dwarves in fiction love to have artisan competitions it would be nice to see it but considering that papa bones wants to keep pandora s actor hidden and safe i guess we wont see him shine.
Breimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-12, 04:44   Link #6263
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7090 View Post
Yes but only after people raised a big PR shit storm. Expect some censor ship like cutting Ainz skeleton face due to "too spooky - it will chase away potential average readers".

Tl:dr start learning japanese if you don't want to be buttfudged by DMCA.

Seriously though is it possible to learn Japanese online (enough for light novel reading)?
Hiragana and Katakana are easy to learn.

Good luck with Kanji. Its the wall most people casually learning Japanese run into and give up.

It does help if you have knowledge of Chinese since they share the same characters and if the novel/manga has Furigana (hiragana/katakana translation over the kanji).
Old 2015-10-12, 08:13   Link #6264
SifaV6

Quote:
Seriously though is it possible to learn Japanese online (enough for light novel reading)?
For normal LN/WN reading, yes. For overlord reading, most likely not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
That's terrible!

I want to know what happened in vol10 asap.
I actually think vol 9 is the best possible place to end the overlord translations at. It's almost too perfect as an ending for a great series like overlord.
SifaV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-12, 09:05   Link #6265
human6861

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifaV6 View Post
For normal LN/WN reading, yes. For overlord reading, most likely not.

I actually think vol 9 is the best possible place to end the overlord translations at. It's almost too perfect as an ending for a great series like overlord.
I think the same , it's same as the end of first part of Overlord (WN) so it's a perfect part to end the translation . Think it as a little luck that they not raise the flag at vol 8
human6861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-12, 09:09   Link #6266
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlord View Post
Do you know a good online source to learn japanese so that I can read Overlord raws or any light novel? I do not know where to start but I'm seriously considering learning it. I don't want to wait for 10 years before I can finish this LN.
To be able to read LN. even with dictionary, you'd need a minimum of 1.5- 2 years of general learning, are you prepare for that?? and even if you prepared, you should knew that your reading speed is turtle and most of the time, the sentences might not make sense due to how complicated it is.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-12, 09:49   Link #6267
expertsource

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
To be able to read LN. even with dictionary, you'd need a minimum of 1.5- 2 years of general learning, are you prepare for that?? and even if you prepared, you should knew that your reading speed is turtle and most of the time, the sentences might not make sense due to how complicated it is.
japanese is easy as turkish. this kind of grammer is the most easiest to learn. for example: english grammer is much more harder.
for reading LNs even you don't need to learn more than 100 basic kanji cause there are tools-webs which can turn kanji to hiragana.
expertsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-12, 11:56   Link #6268
human6861

Well , know the grammar rule and with help of google , you can read simple WN to improve your reading , of course it will be hard to speak or know the rule of local/native people .
After you used the words from web novel , move to light novel is possible .

Quick way to learn new language is under stand the rule how the words placed then memory some key words that used often and drop the complex words .

Speaking or being translator will be harder , very hard , but reading wasn't hard if you ready put your mind in it .

Of course it take time but self-study is possible .
human6861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-13, 08:47   Link #6269
bloodyriders

Will we get the summary plot for the volume after vol 9? (10 above)
If we still get it, welll i can live a bit with it, and maybe they can post the interesting conversation or statement that halpen in the book in comment section
bloodyriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-13, 12:38   Link #6270
AdrianWernerGOL

Awesome to see Yen Press picking it up. They've tend to have quick release speed and they stick with series.

As much as I wanted to learn what happened after anime ended the fan translation's quality is pretty bad when it comes to actual writing quality (it is after all an amateur translation of amateur web novel version) and I had to give up halfway through vol 4 because it was just killing most of my enjoyment. It's weird, because there are many other fan translations that I go through much more easily, so I wonder if the language of Overlord is more complex and thus harder to translate properly? From some of the comments here it sure seems like it.

Quote:
It is like people forget the crap they pulled with spice and wolf

Spoiler for SnW:

Big companies buy patents and bury them inside their vault. Business as usual i guess.
This must be a joke post.
This was published in early LN days, after the big push for them ended in complete diseaster. Yen took a chance on the genre there and tried to make it appeal to regular novel readers. Fans reacted badly, so they went with original covers from later volumnes and they reprinted the first one later on in the same style. They handled it exactly like they should have. They made an error and fixed it quickly.

If you're going to be petty like this then you might as well stop buying anything ever produced by any company, as every single one of them screwed up one time or another. What determines company's quality is how they deal with their mistakes.
AdrianWernerGOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-13, 13:02   Link #6271
Breimn

Quote:
an amateur translation of amateur web novel version
Ok , stop there. Yenpress issue aside 1) after the first 2-3 volumes TLs quality was top notch (as long as you dont consider the unedited previews from the latter volumes other translators did).
2) They translated the LN .WN story is different.
Now can we please stop with discussing about yenpress?
Lets talk about twitter story or what may happen in cvol 10 with dwarves but pls do stop with the drama fantl vs offtl
Old 2015-10-13, 13:08   Link #6272
RDNexus

Twitter story?
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-13, 13:08   Link #6273
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianWernerGOL View Post
Awesome to see Yen Press picking it up. They've tend to have quick release speed and they stick with series.

As much as I wanted to learn what happened after anime ended the fan translation's quality is pretty bad when it comes to actual writing quality (it is after all an amateur translation of amateur web novel version) and I had to give up halfway through vol 4 because it was just killing most of my enjoyment. It's weird, because there are many other fan translations that I go through much more easily, so I wonder if the language of Overlord is more complex and thus harder to translate properly? From some of the comments here it sure seems like it.

This must be a joke post.
This was published in early LN days, after the big push for them ended in complete diseaster. Yen took a chance on the genre there and tried to make it appeal to regular novel readers. Fans reacted badly, so they went with original covers from later volumnes and they reprinted the first one later on in the same style. They handled it exactly like they should have. They made an error and fixed it quickly.

If you're going to be petty like this then you might as well stop buying anything ever produced by any company, as every single one of them screwed up one time or another. What determines company's quality is how they deal with their mistakes.
The translation is weird because you are reading a translation of a translation. The novel went from Japanese -> Chinese -> English and that leads to all sorts of problem..

There simply isn't a lot of willing and skilled japanese ->English translators for LNs
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-13, 13:23   Link #6274
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
that a joke?
Old 2015-10-13, 14:01   Link #6275
Breimn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Twitter story?
Ainz instead of staying in the throne room goes around and gets teleported 200 years earlier than main story. Furthermore according to sinopsys of story
Spoiler for unconfirmed info from anons:
Old 2015-10-13, 14:31   Link #6276
AdrianWernerGOL

Quote:
. Yenpress issue aside 1) after the first 2-3 volumes TLs quality was top notch (as long as you dont consider the unedited previews from the latter volumes other translators did).
Top notch? In how accurate it was? Because the prose itself was dreadful*. Unless the original LN have weak writing.

* - this isn't a criticism of the translators. They did make huge effort, but they aren't experienced writers with professional editors. It would take absolute genius to make good prose in situation like this. What I'm hoping for in Yen editons is quality that could pass in current english fantasy novels market.
Old 2015-10-13, 14:33   Link #6277
AdrianWernerGOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
that a joke?
No. They tend to release 3-4 volumnes a year. This is pretty crazy speed. I don't think it's possible to go faster without burning the series to the ground, let alone maintaining high quality of translation.
Old 2015-10-13, 14:53   Link #6278
Breimn

1) Like already said it is jap->ch->eng
2)Author himself is not a good writer and he even repeats the same thing a lot of times
("like a puppet whose strings were cut" and women wanting a strong men) and even the ovallord joke updates that sky did should give you a hint.
Old 2015-10-13, 15:08   Link #6279
Namorax

I am the first to admit that the first few volumes... had the potential to be better.
But just as it was said, we were translating a chinese fan-translation and didn't have anyone to proofread our work with the japanese RAW. It probably didn't help that some of us were rather new at this, but that's what it means to be "an amateur".
If we were doing this professionally, we would work for Yen Press.

We released those chapters with the best of our abilities back then. It's not like we intentionall posted a "bad" translation. This stuff isn't as easy as you think it is... if you translated a novel yourself you wouldn't leave this kind of comment.
It's easy to say "this can be done better", but very few people are willing to do something about it apart from "gloriously gathering the energy required to type a quick comment before forgetting about it".
There are people out there who send us constructive critique, point out mistakes and suggest improvements.
Namorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-13, 23:14   Link #6280
dragon1412

Quote:
No. They tend to release 3-4 volumnes a year. This is pretty crazy speed. I don't think it's possible to go faster without burning the series to the ground, let alone maintaining high quality of translation.
i will speak this since my teacher is an actual japanese translator, you are mistaken a lot about translations in general, while there is a line between professional translator and fan ones, it's the skill and principle that define it, not some title, since you call YP top notch, go and read NGNL vol 1 and then come back here. By translators standard, many fan translation is actually far superior compare to official one. Translator normally get paid 15-19cent per word in US. Licensing a series cost however ranging from a few hundred thousands dollars to millions. YP don't have the kind of capital to keep both at perfect quality. You only see they consistent because they keep speed for popular series, otherwise sorry, they will slow down less popular one.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, harem, lich, transfer to another world, world domination