AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

Old 2006-10-15, 10:13   Link #1
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Negima Q & A

This thread is for those with questions about the Negima anime or manga. Please keep discussion about episodes in the relevant threads, the purpose of this thread is to ask questions that can actually be answered as facts from the anime or manga.

Make sure you use spoiler tags if your question is about the anime, manga or any non-anime source. Untagged spoilers are risking a ban. If you don't know how to use a spoiler tag, please read this FAQ.

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 06:22   Link #2
hyperian

I tried to post in the negima subforum but i couldnt so i am posting in the next closest forum.

i found out about negima when i was watching some MVs and i am curious about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdDIQPH_nRU
now i've went and checked out various sites and all of them shows the character in more or less like love hina style. but in the MV it shows them in a more serious side.
now i know the two characters that is fighting in the video is the main character and the woman is the vampire. and that seems to be consistant with Negima so i'm assuming it's from the same anime.

so why the difference in anime style? i rather like the serious side.
hyperian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 11:51   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You should have a read of the general discussion thread and the episode discussions. There's a lot of explanation there. Short explanation is in the title "!?"

This is a re-interpretation of Negima as a collaboration between the manga author and the director Shinbo and his team (whom also did Tsukuyomi Moon Phase and Pani Poni Dash). Its been a bit controversial, but a lot of us really like this different take on the story, both in the art style and in what we've seen in plot line so far.
Downside has been that "favorite story parts" of some have been skipped over. Upside seems to be we may get into some of the more exciting parts of the story, both for action and for the little crushes different characters have for each other.
Getting past the early set up so fast also means there may be more screentime available for everyone's favorite characters.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-10-28 at 13:09.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 15:18   Link #4
hyperian

ah i read the wiki of negima!? but the picture shown in there doesnt seem like the same style as the one in the video either?

is negima!? out already or???
Old 2006-10-28, 15:50   Link #5
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

same serie. (Negima!? is actually airing in japan, the third episode is out and fansubbed.)

in fact, the art style used for Thousand Master / Evangeline fight (the video you watched) is special, to put some stress on the climax and the past part of the whole fight. (it's similar to other anime past style : in black and white, etc)
Old 2006-10-28, 16:10   Link #6
hyperian

which episode from Negima! would the thousand master/ evangeline fight be in?
Old 2006-10-28, 16:35   Link #7
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

for the original first serie, i do not know (didn't watch the first one), maybe someone will tell you (but as far as i can remember of some spoiler, the first serie didn't cover a lot about thousand master story)

edit : found something. try episode VIII.

this part of the story is only covered with "evangeline" arc, and shouldn't be shown later.

however, some details can be shown with episodes dedicated to negi's father.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2006-10-28 at 16:57.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 17:56   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Also, the "wiki" only covers the manga and the original series from the other year... I haven't looked to see if someone had started one for the new series yet.

The two series have not much to do with each other outside of the name and characters -- and neither really follows the manga very well. The first series had a lot of problems though it had a few bright spots .... it looks as if this new series is not making the same mistakes but it has a very different emphasis so we'll just have to watch and see.

I've compared these differences to things like the different versions of King Arthur conflict depending on the century they were written (or rewritten) in.
Old 2006-10-28, 19:13   Link #9
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I've compared these differences to things like the different versions of King Arthur conflict depending on the century they were written (or rewritten) in.
Or if you wanted to use a more recent example: think of the differences between the Tenchi Muyo! series: OVA (aka Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki), TV (aka Tenchi Universe) and TV2 (aka Tenchi in Tokyo).
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 14:36   Link #10
hyperian

i just checked, negima! episode 8 is not that at all. you do see them in adult form but it's not like serious like the mv.
Old 2006-10-29, 15:47   Link #11
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperian View Post
i just checked, negima! episode 8 is not that at all. you do see them in adult form but it's not like serious like the mv.
this is normal. the original story (manga) was not really that serious (the pitfall trap was really in the original script to show thousand master's true personality. (genius may i say))

in fact, just like vexx said, both series don't have anything in common except the characters and the main subject/storyline.
therefor, the art style, arc focus and following/side events will probably be different.

if you do really care about "mature" and serious business with negima, just stick with the new serie by SHAFT (i wouldn't recommand the first serie for this, especially if you don't fancy fanservice)

but, you should really try the original manga, it unites perfeclty well the comedy and serious action, especially the kyoto arc (though the fanservice level is extremely high... akamatsu's touch indeed)
Old 2006-10-30, 02:44   Link #12
hyperian

so.. i still cant pinpoint where the anime from the mv comes from, i know it's from negima but i dont know which version and i dont know which episode because apparently the 'serious' side only comes out in certain moments??

so which version of negima and which episode is the mv from?
Old 2006-10-30, 03:00   Link #13
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

That music video is from the new series, called Negima?! Mostly episode 1.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 19:36   Link #14
JaoJao
The One and Only!

umm this might be a stupid question but umm im new to this series and i want to know, wuts negima all about, like in general. cus im watching negima!? and im kind of confused. i havent watched or read any anime or manga in the past regarding this anime so im lost. can anyone help me out here with a summary or something?
JaoJao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 20:09   Link #15
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

err... this would be long to summary this... (the second serie isn't really "new to the serie" friendly )

i recommand you to read the plot summary at wikipedia, here (the overview)

just in case : this is NOT "harry potter" in manga... absolutely not. (don't let the glasses fooling you !)

Last edited by Klashikari; 2006-11-01 at 20:55.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 20:20   Link #16
JaoJao
The One and Only!

LOL thanks ALOT klash, so wut should i do? just stop watching it?
Old 2006-11-01, 20:24   Link #17
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

humm...

if you can't decide after reading the wiki, you should give it a try. (depend of your tastes).
of course, if you don't like shonen/magic/action/school anime genre, pass, it won't suit you.

if you thought it was harry potter like... just remove slightly the seriousness, add... lots of girls (the fanservice level depend on with format you are watching/reading. the current serie by shaft is really light (almost 0 fanservice) , except the OVA), japan context, anime etc... (this is more action adventure, rather than fantasy)
Old 2006-11-01, 20:39   Link #18
JaoJao
The One and Only!

ah i see thanks alot klash also, i want to know if i should start with mahou sensei negima! or negima!? because the story has alot of potential and i just finished watching zero no tsukaima which is also magic related
Old 2006-11-01, 20:49   Link #19
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

well... the manga is really full of stuff, and should be avoided only if you don't like Akamatsu-style
which mean :
-most characters are kawaii,
-LOTS OF FANSERVICE
-dangerous humor,
-lots of "each character development" sometimes rendered as fillers, slowing the main plot a bit

if you could "bear" Love Hina slow pacing, you will enjoy MSN a lot (MSN is way more straightforward)

but the current serie (Negima!?) is pretty enjoyable, and gives another aspect of negima (if you lurk around forums and anime review, you will see that most fan (and new to the serie) are really excited with SHAFT work).

explore both of the serie (why not reading the manga while waiting the next episode? XD). in any way, just choose the easiest format for you to have.
Old 2006-11-01, 21:31   Link #20
JaoJao
The One and Only!

ok thanks alot, i think im gonna continue watching negima!? and then maybe ill go read the manga after the anime is over thanks again