AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Danganronpa

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2017-09-27, 22:52   Link #61
Wandering Soul

Are you playing it on Steam or PS4?
Old 2017-09-27, 23:30   Link #62
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Just finished chapter 1.

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT JESUS CHRIST KODAKA!

I was spoiled but goddamn I did not expect it to go like that. Now I'm too despaired to function.
Haven't started playing it yet but I did watch a let's play of the first chapter early this year. I didn't see where Kodaka was going until it was too late.

Too savage, Kodaka.
Old 2017-09-28, 05:51   Link #63
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
Are you playing it on Steam or PS4?
Vita. I like my despair on the go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Haven't started playing it yet but I did watch a let's play of the first chapter early this year. I didn't see where Kodaka was going until it was too late.

Too savage, Kodaka.
Yep. Especially since...

Spoiler for SDR2 and V3 chapter 1:
Old 2017-09-28, 19:35   Link #64
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Got the game today (thanks for the nonsensical delay for the EU release) and just finished chapter 1. I'm pretty much as pissed as Meotwister but for different reasons.
Spoiler for End Chap1:
Old 2017-09-28, 21:04   Link #65
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well for the record I loved the first chapter.

That said finished chapter 2 and didn't really like it. One of the lower tier cases of thr series tbh though I assume it's partly because of thr emotional rollercoaster of the first. I did love the the fact that it had perhaps one of the most bizarre culprit freakouts of the series.

Edit

Chapter 3 murder was well executed and unique but was weighed down by the themstic and emotional disconnect of the perp and their motive. It really came out of nowhere.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2017-09-29 at 10:45.
Old 2017-09-30, 22:09   Link #66
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Chapter 4 finished.

Now THAT was a trial. Twists and turns everywhere, even if it stretched suspension of disbelief a tad bit more than what is usually expected for this series.
Old 2017-09-30, 22:22   Link #67
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

I finished last night. This game is awesome. You'll all see.

The best part is that I beat it without a mouse and while using a keyboard. It made the trials hella annoying I can tell you that.

@Klashikari yeah I agree. It becomes very obvious once you know why. The ban made perfect sense.

@OH&S Yeah, I got wrecked too. I went into it completely blind lol. I was like WTF by the end of it. Was perfect. Unlike Klashikari and MeoTwister5 I really liked the twist. The point wasn't figuring it out ahead of time, it was the feels.

I don't want to overhype this game, but I think it's definitely better than 1, 2, and another.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )

Last edited by dniv; 2017-10-01 at 05:07.
Old 2017-10-01, 08:51   Link #68
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

So I finished the game, and it took a lot of time to recollect my thoughts. The only thing I can say is that Kodaka made a huge gamble, and it will divide the fanbase.

Here are my thoughts for each case, spoiling only with the info of the case itself + possible mentions with previous cases.

Spoiler for Chapter 2:

Spoiler for Chapter 3:

Spoiler for Chapter 4:

Spoiler for Chapter 5:

Spoiler for Chapter 6:

Case ranking for me: 5 >= 6 > 1 > 3 > 2 >= 4

So yeah, it is a very good game, but if you ask me, I still prefer the kibougamine titles as a DR fan, for its characters and settings. DRV3 brough a unique perspective when it comes to the franchise, but doesn't really mesh that well with DR1 and DR2 in term of themes.

As for my general reactions towards the game in general

Spoiler for General opinion, bullet points (full spoilers):
Old 2017-10-01, 15:14   Link #69
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
So I finished the game, and it took a lot of time to recollect my thoughts. The only thing I can say is that Kodaka made a huge gamble, and it will divide the fanbase.

Here are my thoughts for each case, spoiling only with the info of the case itself + possible mentions with previous cases.

Spoiler for Chapter 2:

Spoiler for Chapter 3:

Spoiler for Chapter 4:

Spoiler for Chapter 5:

Spoiler for Chapter 6:

So yeah, it is a very good game, but if you ask me, I still prefer the kibougamine titles as a DR fan, for its characters and settings. DRV3 brough a unique perspective when it comes to the franchise, but doesn't really mesh that well with DR1 and DR2 in term of themes.

I disagree with some aspects of your rating of the game, but am too lazy to engage you on much of it so I want to bring up what I think is the most important point in response to your analysis:

Spoiler for Chapter 6 don't read this unless you've beaten the game:

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
Old 2017-10-01, 15:48   Link #70
Wandering Soul

Quote:

Spoiler for Chapter 2:

Spoiler for Chapter 3:

Spoiler for Chapter 4:

Spoiler for Chapter 5:

Spoiler for Chapter 6:

Which members of the cast stood out to you the most? You said that the cast was for the most part balanced, but which members left more of an impression on you, whether favorable or unfavorable?
Old 2017-10-01, 15:55   Link #71
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Lets see if I can do this without reading spoilers:
Is it actually worth the 60 Bucks steam is asking for or should I wait for a major sale?
All the other Danganronpa games costs half as much and from what I read on steam have about the same amount of voiceover.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
Old 2017-10-01, 16:05   Link #72
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Spoiler for Chapter 6 don't read this unless you've beaten the game:
Spoiler for chapter 6:

Quote:
Spoiler for chapter 6:
Spoiler for Chapter 6:

Quote:
Spoiler for Chapter 6:
That's exactly what I implied with the concept of chap 6though.
Quote:
Spoiler for Chapter 6:
Spoiler for Chapter 6:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
Which members of the cast stood out to you the most? You said that the cast was for the most part balanced, but which members left more of an impression on you, whether favorable or unfavorable?
For me, it goes like this:

Favorable:
-Kokichi
-Shuichi
-Kaede

Unfavorable:
-Korekiyo
-Miu
-Rantaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Lets see if I can do this without reading spoilers:
Is it actually worth the 60 Bucks steam is asking for or should I wait for a major sale?
All the other Danganronpa games costs half as much and from what I read on steam have about the same amount of voiceover.
Just try it for yourself and decide if you should claim a refund within the allowed timeframe you can do that.
Old 2017-10-01, 17:10   Link #73
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Refund timeframe is mere 2 hours. how the hell can you get a feel of Danganronpa in mere 2 hours.
Honestly I don't think it's worth it. I say wait for price cuts and refrain from anything Danganronpa for a while, or just watch let's plays. Or get the physical version with that price.
Old 2017-10-01, 17:43   Link #74
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

2h is is unironically more relevant than someone else opinion unless they have a very same preferences, tastes and whatnot, considering it is a game whose values heavily depends on the story and characters appreciation.
That period is definitely too short, but at the very least, you can have some grasp of the atmosphere and characters to have some idea, since you should be able to nearly finish the prologue. Alternatively, I completely forgot the demo is also available on steam.

But frankly, at this point, if you aren't even sure if it is "worth to buy at full retail price", then that simply means you aren't really commited to the franchise to that extent, so it is best to always wait for a price cut anyway.
Old 2017-10-02, 01:38   Link #75
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well Jesus what a case chapter 5 was. I think it gave me whiplash. Just like chapter 1 it included twists and elements never before seen in the series and almost feels like Kodaka put these in a blender hoping it comes out right and not a confusing clusterfuck.

Kodaka lucked out on that regard because this is easily one of the best cases in the series, period. It could have gone wrong so many ways with everything he tried to cram in it but in the end that gamble paid off spectacularly. Based Kodaka you magnificent bastard you.

Gonna do the last one now and post my evaluation tomorrow.
Old 2017-10-02, 11:17   Link #76
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Chaptet 6 done and... well... I'll explain more after I get some sleep.

That said the game finally made me realize that each chapter number between games are thematically similar.

Spoiler for Series spoilers:

Therr is also something I wish to address to Klashikari about the final chapter that should be VERY familiar to both of us...

Spoiler for Similarities to another Japanese mystery series.:

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2017-10-02 at 11:29.
Old 2017-10-02, 18:22   Link #77
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

That aspect was never an issue to me as I said several times. It is just that Kodaka could go even deeper with that subject considering case 6. But at the very least, it was something that still makes a lot of sense with Danganronpa franchise.

But then again, its execution wasn't really flawless, which explains why so many people hated that ending.
Old 2017-10-02, 18:53   Link #78
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
That aspect was never an issue to me as I said several times. It is just that Kodaka could go even deeper with that subject considering case 6. But at the very least, it was something that still makes a lot of sense with Danganronpa franchise.

But then again, its execution wasn't really flawless, which explains why so many people hated that ending.
In response to this post and your last post, I pretty much agree with everything you've said. I think I just ended up liking it more. I also agree about which characters were likable and which ones weren't. The thing is:

Spoiler for for those who have finished the game:

Old 2017-10-02, 19:04   Link #79
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Note that the unfavorable doesn't mean I "hated" them. Wandering soul asked how the characters stood out, so my "rating" takes in consideration their context and/or the way they were used in the plot. And suffice to say, the 3 characters I've listed were mostly unfavorable to me because they were more like plot device to me.

Finally done with my ending analysis. Obviously, read it only once you are done with the game.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2017-10-02 at 19:17.
Old 2017-10-02, 21:43   Link #80
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well here's what I think about each chapter individually.

Spoiler for Chapter 1:

Spoiler for Chapter 2:

Spoiler for Chapter 3:

Spoiler for Chapter 4:

Spoiler for Chapter 5:

And then we have chapter 6...

Spoiler for Chapter 6:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
In response to this post and your last post, I pretty much agree with everything you've said. I think I just ended up liking it more. I also agree about which characters were likable and which ones weren't. The thing is:

Spoiler for for those who have finished the game:
Spoiler for Rantaro:

Quote:

Well the reason that was the game that came to mind was that the endings were thematically the same...

Spoiler for Spoilers for two games.:

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2017-10-02 at 21:57.
Closed Thread