AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Danganronpa

Notices

View Poll Results: Danganronpa 3: Despair Arc - Episode 11 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 2 33.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 1 16.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 0 0%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 33.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 16.67%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2016-09-23, 14:58   Link #21
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

The lack of caring Mukuro for Makoto is PISSING me off after reading IF.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2016-09-23, 15:41   Link #22
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
Er.

Hope's Peak Academy students only spend two years there. There is no third year at Hope's Peak. High school in Japan is three years long, and you must already be a high school student to attend -- every student at Hope's Peak has already completed their first year of high school.

Also, we've been told earlier in this very anime that Hope's Peak only has two years in it, if I recall correctly.

The 77th's graduation takes place at the end of their second year at the school, and the end of the 78th's first year, at which point the school is sealed. So no, Dengar's right, the 78th class only spends one year at Hope's Peak.
This could actually be contradicting information though. - tbh I missed that part completely. (prolly because despair was boring for most of the time )
I am pretty sure Junko said they were classmates for almost 3 years now. Sayaka also referred to Naegi's and her old school as 'middle school' rather than jr high.

Or 78th is an exception to the rule and has 3 years there.
One thing is sure though: Junko going AWOL right after the Despair events and Ryoko suddenly appearing would have been far too suspicious for Munataka to not investigate anew. (And several other characters too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
The lack of caring Mukuro for Makoto is PISSING me off after reading IF.
Must have happened in between the time they got sealed and the start of DR 1

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
Old 2016-09-23, 15:57   Link #23
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
This could actually be contradicting information though. - tbh I missed that part completely. (prolly because despair was boring for most of the time )
I am pretty sure Junko said they were classmates for almost 3 years now. Sayaka also referred to Naegi's and her old school as 'middle school' rather than jr high.
Well, there's no contradiction with Sayaka: She says they knew each other at middle school, but at the start of DR1, neither of them remember seeing each other for a while. 'Middle school' and 'junior high' are two different names for the same thing in Japan -- the period between elementary school and high school.

As for Junko, she says they've been classmates for three years, but she's almost certainly including the time they spent locked up in the school in that: So they were at school together for one year, and then spent two years together locked in the school before she erased their memories and began the killing game.

EDIT: My bad, she said two years, so it's one year at school and one secluded in the school.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra

Last edited by DMurphy; 2016-09-23 at 16:22.
Old 2016-09-23, 16:19   Link #24
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
No, only 2 years. The 2 years span was repeated ad nauseam in the game. The first full year was completely peaceful before the student council incident then the despair inducing disaster.
Thereafter, Class 77 "graduated". Meanwhile, Class 78 was about to have their last year, but was enrolled by Jin with his shelter plan while the academy was closed for good and they spent 1 year in peace before Junko started her plan. There is no contradiction there.

Also no, I'm pretty sure they never stated there were only 2 years of high school in Kibougamine.
EDIT: I forgot the requirement for being a high school student. However, since they recruit students on September instead of April, there is no contradiction. If a student is scouted between April and September, they are good to go.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2016-09-23 at 16:39.
Old 2016-09-23, 16:41   Link #25
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

They never stated clearly that there were only 2 years. However, Naegi's class did only spend a single year before shit hit the fan. They also spent at least some amount of time together after shit hit the fan. Anyone who thinks it's 3 years clearly must be remembering wrong. HPA only being two years makes sense from different angles, too. Either it's faster than the average school, or students already have a year of high school under their belt. On the other hand, 3 years can't possibly be right. High school is only 3 years. If they spent 3 years at school and still hadn't graduated, that would mean HPA would take longer than other high schools.
Old 2016-09-23, 16:42   Link #26
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:

Or 78th is an exception to the rule and has 3 years there.
One thing is sure though: Junko going AWOL right after the Despair events and Ryoko suddenly appearing would have been far too suspicious for Munataka to not investigate anew. (And several other characters too)

Must have happened in between the time they got sealed and the start of DR 1
But it didn't. It happened during the year they were classmates before the sealing off. And if we go by DR0 (if it is even canon anymore), then Mukuro wouldn't have defended Makoto from the Ultimate Bodyguard.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2016-09-23, 16:44   Link #27
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

It would be more correct to say that at most, they spend 2 years and 7-8 months if they transfer from their high school to Kibougamine after being scouted during the first term.
Old 2016-09-23, 16:49   Link #28
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

The only way I could be wrong is if they spent two years at HPA, and the incident happened at the end of their second year. By that logic, about 3 years would have passed by the time DR1 is a thing.
Old 2016-09-23, 16:57   Link #29
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
No, only 2 years. The 2 years span was repeated ad nauseam in the game. The first full year was completely peaceful, the second year went a bit down to the drain with the first weird stuff around the academy, the Kamukura project etc.

Thereafter, Class 77 "graduated". Meanwhile, Class 78 was about to have their last year, but was enrolled by Jin with his shelter plan while the academy was closed for good. There is no contradiction there.

Also no, I'm pretty sure they never stated there were only 2 years of high school in Kibougamine.
EDIT: I forgot the requirement for being a high school student. However, since they recruit students on September instead of April, there is no contradiction. If a student is scouted between April and September, they are good to go.
Aye that was pretty much the point of my original post:
2 years until they sealed the school and almost a full third one at the time they uncovered Junko

We at least know that the final trial has happened one year after the < despair incident name > at least Genocider referred to that. I am too lazy to watch the entire last trial atm to find out that maybe it was an anime only sentence atm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
It would be more correct to say that at most, they spend 2 years and 7-8 months if they transfer from their high school to Kibougamine after being scouted during the first term.
Which would line up perfectly with the 3 almost 3 years I remember Junko saying (no idea if it was the anime or the game atm)
Edit: Since I jsut got to the point: Junko also said '2 years ago' in the game which would make the current one their third, so almost 3 is likely not too far off - Looking for the other sentence atm.

In any case t would now be their graduation year. (aka thirdf one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
The only way I could be wrong is if they spent two years at HPA, and the incident happened at the end of their second year. By that logic, about 3 years would have passed by the time DR1 is a thing.

Which is what I said in my intial post.
This puts 77ths graduation in their third year - or otherwise - when shit hit the fan - and by that I mean the > too long to type - incident, rather than Junko Brainwashing 77th.
Also meaning DR0 happened in their second year.
It really never states that HPA only takes 2 years. They could just disregard the time they spent in a different school and start over there.This would make sense since Monokuma continuesly spoke about graduation, and they still looked like high schoolers when leaving the place. While at least Kirigiri no longer looked like one at the start of Mirai. - Admittingly we don't know how much time has passed since then though.

Edit: So I looked it up given there is no translation mistake Junko said it happened after their first year (i.e when they were in their 2nd)
'Because one year after you entered the academy, an incident occured that thre mankind into despair'

While it still puts it into their second year it makes DR0 0 kinda hard to fit oO

Another Edit:
Thinking about what Klashikari said, if what Junkol said there referred to the begin of her plan rather than the climax DR0 would fit in perfectly as she'd refer to the Student council killing which was actually part of her brainwashing video and thus the beginning of the incident. She thus had several months of her second year to play Ryouko, without a full year having passed, thus still 'two' years ago.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2016-09-23 at 17:41.
Old 2016-09-23, 17:51   Link #30
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I thought the argument was that they spent 3 years in school.
Old 2016-09-23, 18:06   Link #31
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
I thought the argument was that they spent 3 years in school.
Not entirely. - More that they are 3rd years accodring to Junko's 'Almost 3 years' I remember from wherever.
Junko said 2 years ago(although I still remember her saying almost 3 years with a mushroom head from one of the media too)
Putting them in their third year.
However therer are some tricks to that too:

First a school year doesn't equal a calender year. - Something I, admittingly totally forgot. So saying 2 years ago doesn't contradict them being 3rd years at all.

Second is the the issue I already mentioned earlier, which is kinda connected to this one: If you take that its the end or mid of their third year by then (which is why Junko would be talking about graduating) not a full 3 years have passed - thus in combination with the above saying that 2 years have passed is a fair statement even if it was 2 and 5 months.

Imho this makes up the best explaination for DR 0 - Chisa dressing up as Monokuma maid would make sense, while Ryouko herself wouldn't be way more suspicious than Junko ever was in the context of the current events.

Old 2016-09-23, 19:17   Link #32
Router25
World Connector. I think

Though it would be more logical if Junko started her plan in time for their ' normal graduation' since Monokuma was always saying the killing game was for their graduation.
Old 2016-09-23, 21:11   Link #33
stray
Classic Yandere

As I see it DR timeline basically comes down to "fuck it, make up your own headcanon". And in Despair ever since Nanami's Hachiko timeskip that went from spring to summer to fall to... summer? Despair had been really nebulous about the time inbetween events. And everything is green.

Zero takes place a month after the Parade started. According to previous canon the Parade went on a fairly long time and spread -- I think Komaru mentioned related protests and suicides in UDG -- but I figure there wasn't time to expand on that and it wasn't the focus anyway.

As far as Future I would put it closer to 2 or maybe as many as 3 years after DR1.
Old 2016-09-24, 03:00   Link #34
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I would put Future arc probably no more than a few months after SDR2, which probably happened no more than a year after DR1.

On that end, I'm pretty sure it was stated in one of the remaining clues in DR1 during the last 2 cases that the Game happens about a year after the start of the most blah blah event in human history. One year is more than enough time for the whole world to go to shit, and in fact the world was already in the midst of Despair when Naegi and co. learned about the truth of the world outside the school.
Old 2016-09-24, 04:26   Link #35
Calca
Expressionless

Hope arc was described as the "perfect ending".

I'm taking that as Chiaki being alive. Cause as the series goes, I still got that bit of hope to hang on to.
Old 2016-09-24, 08:58   Link #36
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I would put Future arc probably no more than a few months after SDR2, which probably happened no more than a year after DR1.

On that end, I'm pretty sure it was stated in one of the remaining clues in DR1 during the last 2 cases that the Game happens about a year after the start of the most blah blah event in human history. One year is more than enough time for the whole world to go to shit, and in fact the world was already in the midst of Despair when Naegi and co. learned about the truth of the world outside the school.
It creates trouble with DR 0, thats the problem :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
Hope arc was described as the "perfect ending".

I'm taking that as Chiaki being alive. Cause as the series goes, I still got that bit of hope to hang on to.
I'll seriously rage if Chiaki is alive. Not because I have something against Chiaki, but more because Junko's accomplices would have lost nothing while 78th would have lost more than half their class.

Old 2016-09-24, 10:16   Link #37
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
I'll seriously rage if Chiaki is alive. Not because I have something against Chiaki, but more because Junko's accomplices would have lost nothing while 78th would have lost more than half their class.
What about everyone who died in DR2? O_o Unless you would argue that being a vegetable forever means they are alive and therefore there is no sense of loss.
Old 2016-09-24, 13:36   Link #38
DMurphy

Quote:
What about everyone who died in DR2? O_o Unless you would argue that being a vegetable forever means they are alive and therefore there is no sense of loss.
In fairness, that was left pretty open, in that they could wake up one day.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
Old 2016-09-24, 14:00   Link #39
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
What DMurphy said - and I am pretty sure that they will wake up at some point too. Moreover, clas 78 was driven to murder sure, but none of them comittet mass terrorism.

Old 2016-09-25, 03:02   Link #40
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Well they also weren't thoroughly brainwashed by a maniac.

When will they wake up? Why will they wake up? If they are capable of waking up "some day", why didn't they wake up when the game ended?
Closed Thread