AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-01-11, 17:18   Link #1
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Spice and Wolf Light Novel Discussion

Spice and Wolf (Ookami to Koushinryou) is a light novel shounen series that is published under the label Dengeki Bunko. For now there are 6 volumes released of the light novel.

Please use this thread for all discussion concerning the novels. Please note that the thread will contain unmarked spoilers, so if you are an anime-only viewer or a manga reader, please beware and enter at your own risk.

Mod Edit: Please note that the novels are now licensed. Please do not link to any fan translations in this thread, and obey the usual licensed material rules.

Covers:

Spoiler:

Shounen light novel.
少年向け小説(ライトノベル)

Author: Isuna Hasekura
Illustrator: Juu Ayakura

Genre: Shounen (light novel), Seinen (manga), Fantasy

Official site: http://www.spicy-wolf.com/

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2008-09-28 at 21:07. Reason: Now licensed
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 17:02   Link #2
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Spice and Wolf Novel [Spoilerific Discussion]

Since TigerII quickly fled after making a request for a thread about the novel, I'm forced to use my copy-paste skill. The following has been taken from Wiki.

About the Novel:---
Spice and Wolf began as a light novel series written by Isuna Hasekura, with illustrations by Jū Ayakura. Originally, Hasekura entered the first novel in the series into MediaWorks' twelfth Dengeki Novel Prize in 2005 and the novel won the Silver Prize. Afterwards, MediaWorks published the first novel on February 10, 2006, and as of December 10, 2007, six volumes have been published under MediaWorks' Dengeki Bunko label. A seventh will follow on February 10, 2008. The Mainichi Shimbun reported that as of August 2007, over 500,000 copies of the novels have been sold. The light novel series was ranked first in 2007 in Takarajimasha's light novel guidebook Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi published yearly, and in the same publication, Holo won Best Female Character. The tagline for the novels is "Merchant meats spicy wolf.", an example of Engrish. The author of the novels has commented that what "meats" in the tagline really means is kept a secret, alluding to a possible intentional misspelling of "meets".
The Story:---
Spice and Wolf's story revolves around Craft Lawrence, a twenty-five-year-old peddler travelling from town to town selling and buying various things to make a living in a stylized historical setting with European influences. His main goal in life is to gather enough money to start his own shop, and he already has been travelling for seven years while gaining experience in the trade. One night when stopped at the town of Pasroe, he finds in his wagon a 250-year-old pagan wolf-deity girl named Holo. She appears to be that of a fifteen-year-old girl, except for a wolf's tail and ears. She introduces herself as the town's goddess of harvest who has kept it blessed with good harvests of wheat for many years. Despite having the responsibility to watch over the town, she wants to go back to her homeland in the north called Yoitsu; she believes the people have already forsaken her anyway and that she has kept her promise to maintain the good harvests. Holo wants also to travel to see the world how the world has changed while she has remained in one place for years. She manages to bargain her way out of the village by making a deal with Lawrence to take her with him. As they travel, her wisdom helps increase his profits, but at the same time, her true nature draws unwanted attention from the church.
*Be advised that the manga readers and anime-only viewers will run the risk of spoiling themselves by browsing this thread. Use discretion.*
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 17:23   Link #3
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Vexx got another honorary thread start. Lucky him!

In the Generic Discussion topic we've had someone splice together a lot of the two-page illustrations pretty well, and we've got a bunch of spoilers in there too.

The novels can be bought from YesAsia.com if you've just gotta have them. Link was in the Generic Discussion thread too, but I'll go see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: Here it is.

http://us.yesasia.com/en/artIdxDept....s/aid-1244462/
Old 2008-01-23, 18:21   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Shocku.... heh, my dna must be overflowing the clone vats. All credit goes to Masanori Ota here for directing my attention properly. I just hope they're still in print for a few more weeks as I've got to conserve funds til I know how painful my taxes are.
Old 2008-01-23, 18:23   Link #5
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Well Vexx if you are the US, you may get an extra 800, lol. But another problem is inflation.

On amazon the price of manga has doubled.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 18:30   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I usually don't use yesasia. I either use amazon.co.jp or nippon-export..... and lately I've been able to just pick stuff up at our ever-expanding Kinokuniya Bookstore. Bah... they'll talk about the stimulus package while the house burns down (offtopic).
Old 2008-01-23, 18:35   Link #7
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Well....I can't read Japanese so I am pretty limited...

Yes, this had better be the end of it.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-25, 05:33   Link #8
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Vol.7 Preview :-

福というものに形があるとしたら、これが、そうなのかもしれない。
 リュビンハイゲンでの騒動の後、商売の成功を祝して、ホロとロレンスはノーラと食事をしていた。しかし、 体調を崩したホロは、不覚にも宴会の最中に倒れてしまう。そんなホロを見て、ロレンスが取った行動とは…… ? シリーズ初のホロ視点の物語の行方は!?
 ロレンスと出会う前のホロの旅を描く「少年と少女と白い花」、パッツィオでの二人の買い物風景「林檎の赤 、空の青」など、「電撃hp」に掲載され好評を博した2編の他に、ロレンスがホロを看病する書き下ろし「狼 と琥珀色の憂鬱」を収録。“色”をテーマに綴られた、珠玉の短編集登場
======================
Some plot advancement with Horo falling ill.
A small backstory of Horo while she travels south titled "The youth, A girl and the white flower"
A side story of Horo and Lawrence featuring them shopping in Pattsio titled "Apple's Red, Sky's Blue"
And finally a small tale of "The Wolf and the Amber of Melancholy"
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 22:43   Link #9
Ryunatta
Broken Void

Send a message via MSN to Ryunatta
Sad but true

Its saddens me to see that this light novel discussion is still in its infantcy stage...I wish i could get my hand and read japanese to help but...until this discussion get thicker..(meaning that there is some volume information or spoilers) ill just lurk around~
Ryunatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 01:06   Link #10
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Pretty much already posted by MakubeX2, but here's the official translation to the volume's summarized events:

Spoiler for translation:

Cover:

Ookami to Koushinryou VII
Side Colors

2/10

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 01:31   Link #11
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Ooh, yay. :D
Old 2008-02-07, 03:36   Link #12
metronome
Mad Loli

the reason I want to read the light novel is because the anime is not detailed enough about the story, or may be it is just me that feel that the pase in the anime is fast and not detailed enough, I think it s not their fault tho...
metronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 06:10   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That's a common problem with *any* visual adaptation of a novel. The *best* visual adaptations make you want to read the book and don't do it by *screwing* with major plot points (a common Hollywood-style ego trip).
Old 2008-02-08, 11:26   Link #14
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by metronome View Post
the reason I want to read the light novel is because the anime is not detailed enough about the story, or may be it is just me that feel that the pase in the anime is fast and not detailed enough, I think it s not their fault tho...
haruhi to that.

I also think the novels will be better, however the way Horo speaks in the novel....wow..its dammn hard to trans- i mean to read! to read!

yeah...

anyway, i heard they published a Chinese version as well?

is this true? At leased Chinese tra- readers are easier to find.....

Old 2008-02-09, 14:37   Link #15
AlephNull

Hello. I've started translating the first Japanese volume, and Onizuka kindly agreed to host it on Baka-Tsuki. I've been learning Japanese on my own for some time now and am quite new to translation. In particular, I've not yet had the chance to get feedback from anyone about my understanding of Japanese.

I've put up a draft of the first few pages in a discussion page of the wiki, rather than in the main article. I'd be really grateful if people skilled in Japanese could review it. I've got lots of questions in there as well, am hoping to get replies for them. Once there are enough reviews and corrections, and I'm sufficiently confident of it's accuracy, pages will be moved to the main article, where the usual editing can take place.
AlephNull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 15:17   Link #16
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Ah, look, it's Aleph. I'm not much of a translator, but I edit. I'll go have a look-see. Thanks for the effort.
Old 2008-02-09, 15:31   Link #17
Westlo
Lets be reality

Thanks for translating AlephNull, I look forward to seeing the results of your work when it's done

Quote:
Originally Posted by metronome View Post
or may be it is just me that feel that the pase in the anime is fast and not detailed enough, I think it s not their fault tho...
See the problem is you're probably right in comparison to the light novels but quite a few people seem to think the anime is slow/boring. So if the pace matched the novels it would just cause more people to think that way.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 16:46   Link #18
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Thanks for translating AlephNull, I look forward to seeing the results of your work when it's done

See the problem is you're probably right in comparison to the light novels but quite a few people seem to think the anime is slow/boring. So if the pace matched the novels it would just cause more people to think that way.
It's not actually going that fast though, each episode so far has covered 1 chapter of the Light Novel. I've seen Light Novel adaptation in which a whole Novel was condensed into 2 episodes.
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 17:48   Link #19
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeotoxSlayer View Post
It's not actually going that fast though, each episode so far has covered 1 chapter of the Light Novel. I've seen Light Novel adaptation in which a whole Novel was condensed into 2 episodes.
the ZNT affect huh?

Old 2008-02-15, 06:42   Link #20
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlephNull View Post
Hello. I've started translating the first Japanese volume, and Onizuka kindly agreed to host it on Baka-Tsuki. I've been learning Japanese on my own for some time now and am quite new to translation. In particular, I've not yet had the chance to get feedback from anyone about my understanding of Japanese.

I've put up a draft of the first few pages in a discussion page of the wiki, rather than in the main article. I'd be really grateful if people skilled in Japanese could review it. I've got lots of questions in there as well, am hoping to get replies for them. Once there are enough reviews and corrections, and I'm sufficiently confident of it's accuracy, pages will be moved to the main article, where the usual editing can take place.

I've recently started down the road of translating volume one as well, but I am definitely much farther behind than you =). I've been studying Japanese here in Japan for around 1 month now, and all I know is some basic sentence structure, and the hiragana/katakana. I've been using Wakan to lookup Kanji based on estimated number of strokes, and key symbols. Then I've been copying the sentences exactly as they appear into a word document, then use Babylon to translate, and I try to rephrase the sentence based on english grammar, and change words if there is a different meaning to something. I was thinking it would A. Satisfy my need for more SaW, and B. Help me learn Japanese, by going above my abilities, and researching it. Your work is something I can check mine against, and I'm grateful for it.

Question: This is my first time reading a light novel, and I was wondering, in the book, there are these small black half-boxes around certain words. Does this separate dialogue from narration? The 4th to 5th lines started to really confuse me, but it's because of a shift from dialogue to narration I think...right?

As for information of Spice and Wolf, correct me if I'm wrong, but heres some things I was thinking about.

Volume 1 Has six chapters, each chapter has been adapted into an animated episode. ANN says there will be 12 episodes and an OVA. That's the equivalent of 2 light novels....does this mean the anime will be left hanging? (there are 7 novels now, and they are still continuing) Or will they pull an FMA and change the storyline completely half-way in?

PS Gosh I wish I could read Japanese...I've always loved books, and not being able to read something I've become entranced with really bites....
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novels, seinen, shounen