AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-08-19, 17:26   Link #21
Urotsukidoji
*IT Support

I think I may have another lead... did the DVD-RAM drive completely disappear from Windows Explorer, as in the icon vanished? Did you install another recording program before you installed Nero 7?
Urotsukidoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 17:36   Link #22
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

no i have only nero 7 - recording program... as far as i notice the icon has disapeared from the windows explorer, and after it installed itself, it reappeared on the list...
~Ladies, if a guy ever tells you, he wants to cover you from head to toe in honey, and lick it all off inch by inch, that's the man who hasn't done it before. You start at her toes, and before you get to anything interesting, she is asleep and you are in diabetic coma ~
Kazuma77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 17:50   Link #23
Urotsukidoji
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuma77 View Post
no i have only nero 7 - recording program... as far as i notice the icon has disapeared from the windows explorer, and after it installed itself, it reappeared on the list...
In the past, did you install any other recording software other then Nero 7... even if you uninstalled it prior to installing Nero 7? Because I found a section in the official Nero 7 troubleshooting page that describes symptoms eerily similar to yours... when you install a program on a computer and then uninstall it, it doesn't completely uninstall. Rather, it leaves bits and pieces of itself on your computer as proof that it was there. Nero 7 has an explicit tendency to react negatively with these bits and pieces that are left behind by another recording program. Hence, the only way to remove those problematic parts are to modify your computer's registry.

If you do have this problem (I'm just blindly feeling around in the dark, here) click this link, and download the file marked "cleanpack.zip." Then just follow steps 1-4 on problem #15...

I hope this helps, because I really can't think of anything else... :P
Old 2007-08-19, 20:00   Link #24
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

I'm having a similar problem. This one deals with Daemon Tools and the current behavior of my DVD drive.
Up until the end of May, D-Tools would be able to mount image files I put on it. For some reason (I think it was because someone logged onto a limited account upon startup) D-Tools (or any other V-drive programs) would no longer mount and read the images. My DVD drive has also been partially crippled since it would no longer read CDs or DVDs. However, I could still (with some success) rip audio CDs through WMP (but not iTunes). I could also burn images onto CDs and DVDs. Basically, stuff can leave through the DVD drive, but almost NOTHING can enter, since the drive will see the disc as blank.

I'm just about to try the the steps you've outlined. If it fails, then I may have to format this drive.
Old 2007-08-19, 23:42   Link #25
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam Zero Force View Post
No I don't beleive that is the issue. The CD and DVD drives that are in my old pc right now have been working for over 2 years or so. I've burned numerous discs and watched numerous shows with them. I don't see how both drives that have been compatiable for a long all of the sudden decide to not work.

I am getting the feeling this may be a software issue, like something is missing inside the computer. When I try to un-install the drives and then I install them again this is what shows up next to the two drives:

Spoiler for device manager:

Then in the lower corner of my screen it says "new devices installed, DVD and cd drives" . . . . . then right after that notice it says "a problem occured during hardware installation. Your devices may not work properly". That is where I have been stuck for a long time now. I am beginning to wonder if I may have to buy a new CD and DVD to fix this issue, I don't know really . . . .
It appears that your drives have conflicts. Have you checked under the "General" tab of the device to note the "Device status"?

@HashiriyaGDB: Tell us how it goes.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 01:14   Link #26
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

No, since i bought the computer without any software on it, i put Windows XP sp2 on it, and from the start i have Nero 7 install on it... so that couldnt be the problem... i have to say i use my disk very rarely, maybe 2-3 times per month since i bought it, (my computer is 8 months old)

do you think it will help if i uninstall nero?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urotsukidoji View Post
In the past, did you install any other recording software other then Nero 7... even if you uninstalled it prior to installing Nero 7? Because I found a section in the official Nero 7 troubleshooting page that describes symptoms eerily similar to yours... when you install a program on a computer and then uninstall it, it doesn't completely uninstall. Rather, it leaves bits and pieces of itself on your computer as proof that it was there. Nero 7 has an explicit tendency to react negatively with these bits and pieces that are left behind by another recording program. Hence, the only way to remove those problematic parts are to modify your computer's registry.

If you do have this problem (I'm just blindly feeling around in the dark, here) click this link, and download the file marked "cleanpack.zip." Then just follow steps 1-4 on problem #15...

I hope this helps, because I really can't think of anything else... :P
~Ladies, if a guy ever tells you, he wants to cover you from head to toe in honey, and lick it all off inch by inch, that's the man who hasn't done it before. You start at her toes, and before you get to anything interesting, she is asleep and you are in diabetic coma ~
Old 2007-08-20, 05:51   Link #27
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
If the drive can't read any discs recorded, blank or otherwise then the drive itself has failed and will need replacing (it is rare for a component to fail within a year but it can happen).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 06:17   Link #28
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

is it even possible that program can do this to a cd-rom?
Old 2007-08-20, 07:17   Link #29
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Nero has a few program daemons in the background that run different parts of the program. Mainly you will see things like "NeroCheck." While Nero would not damage your CD-ROM, it could lead to a corrupted entry as you used Nero. Try uninstalling it and re-installing the program and tell us what happens. If this does not work, as demonix mentioned, it might be time for a component replacement for FRU (Field Replaceable Unit) CD-ROM.
Old 2007-08-20, 13:13   Link #30
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

well... reinstallation of drivers was good in some way... i can watch videos much better, no freezing or anything

i already call into authorised service for my laptop and they said i should bring it in, so they will check it...and because its under guarantee, they will fix it... i hope for free
Old 2007-08-20, 14:45   Link #31
Gundam Zero Force

Quote:
It appears that your drives have conflicts. Have you checked under the "General" tab of the device to note the "Device status"?
ok I'll see what I can check and see if anything is conflicting
Gundam Zero Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 15:23   Link #32
thr

You could try this:
  • Open the Registry Editor
  • Go to
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  • Delete the entries LowerFilters and UpperFilters
  • Reboot

If this renders your CD recording program unusable you have to reinstall it.
thr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 20:14   Link #33
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
well... reinstallation of drivers was good in some way... i can watch videos much better, no freezing or anything

i already call into authorised service for my laptop and they said i should bring it in, so they will check it...and because its under guarantee, they will fix it... i hope for free
Tell them it was a component failure. They will just replace the drive and re-install a burning program to test it.
Old 2007-08-21, 16:17   Link #34
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

Ok now i really dont know whats wrong..i just put a friend full dvd... and it open a setup of that program...and it downloaded it from the cd... so wtf this means???

Old 2007-08-21, 16:40   Link #35
Urotsukidoji
*IT Support

Quote:
Ok now i really dont know whats wrong..i just put a friend full dvd... and it open a setup of that program...and it downloaded it from the cd... so wtf this means???
Assuming you followed Matradley's instructions to replace the drive, any data which you may have had on there has gone out with the old drive... This means that if you didn't create a backup file, you have to reinstall all the programs and files that you may have had on that drive...
Old 2007-08-21, 17:36   Link #36
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urotsukidoji View Post
Assuming you followed Matradley's instructions to replace the drive, any data which you may have had on there has gone out with the old drive... This means that if you didn't create a backup file, you have to reinstall all the programs and files that you may have had on that drive...
acually, i didn't do anything.... i havent got the time to get it to service....
Old 2007-08-21, 20:12   Link #37
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
acually, i didn't do anything.... i havent got the time to get it to service....
At this point in time, we shall just kick it.
Old 2007-08-22, 04:54   Link #38
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Actually this sound like the same problem I'm having with a laptop I've got a hold of with it being able to read DVD's but not CD's so it would seem that the drive is 50% dead so getting it replaced should be a priority.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 17:33   Link #39
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

For those of you wondering what happened to my DVD drive, it's still crippled. I'm waiting for an external drive to move my stuff to before I format the PC.

One more thing, it's struck again. This time, it's hit my laptop. Except this time around, I have NO FUCKING CLUE as to how it stopped reading media.
Old 2007-11-26, 12:59   Link #40
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

ok now after a month of prepairing myself i took my laptop to service, and now, its there for almost two weeks and they found out that i totaly burned out cd-rom and they need to change it...

they said they will call me as soon as it will be fixed but it has been 14 days since i took my precious laptop there, and i am without internet at home, and i am going nutz and i am almost crying this is showing my obsession with the internet and my Desperate Housewives

Last edited by Kazuma77; 2007-11-26 at 13:13.