AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-09-20, 11:53   Link #1
drgntig
i'm psychic.god says hi.

Bubble gum crisis thread...

if anyone is out there and knows bublegum crisis then your welcome here

i would like to know if you've seen both crisis and crash if so which did you like better.

i personally liked crisis better. it had a more action and a better villian. if you have a different opinion please tell me what you think.
drgntig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 11:57   Link #2
drgntig
i'm psychic.god says hi.

srry.

i forgot to ask which is it night sabers or knight sabers. it's not that i don't know because my seris is in subtitles. i just want to know what you think
drgntig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 12:09   Link #3
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
You should move this the DVD & Licensed thread or check to see if there is already one created for it. Its an old series so i sure there is already one somewhere
Old 2006-09-20, 14:36   Link #4
RyoSaeba

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgntig
i forgot to ask which is it night sabers or knight sabers. it's not that i don't know because my seris is in subtitles. i just want to know what you think
Since their signature says "Knight Sabers", that would be what it is.
RyoSaeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 14:56   Link #5
RyoSaeba

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgntig

I think that pretty much sums it up.
RyoSaeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 18:30   Link #6
ServantOfPriss
Slowpoke

Original OVA: 10/10, fantastic, has flaws, but makes up for them with charm.

Crash: 5/10, mediocre, although it has a very rad opening and Ryoko's other songs are great. They also at least gave a sort of satisfying conclusion to the original series (although it's still frustrating how rushed it was).

2040: 9/10, great, solid and great animation in the first ten episodes or so, but hampered by what seems to have been a decreased budget and Konaka's fetish for Lovecraftian plots.

The various AD Police OVAs are rad as fuck, too.

Did you know there was a Light Novel released a year ago?
ServantOfPriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 19:22   Link #7
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServantOfPriss View Post
Did you know there was a Light Novel released a year ago?
No, I did not. Based on which version, roughly?

2040 is one of my all-time favorite animes. I still haven't seen the original OAV and have long thought about buying it but never seem to get around to it.

I might dig out my Noir, Vandread, and BGC:T2040 DVDs and watch those series again over the next few months. I haven't watched them in ages, yet they remain some of my faves.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 20:43   Link #8
ServantOfPriss
Slowpoke

Neither, it's yet another reimagining like 2040.

Placed in a highschool setting, all characters are full-blooded Japanese now (unlike the OVA and 2040 where they had some sort of "internationality"), and it was a one-shot.

OVA is great, although it has some issues in pacing in the first episodes or so, but it really picks up in pretty much all aspects by the fourth episode.
Old 2013-09-09, 02:01   Link #9
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Crash: 5/10, mediocre, although it has a very rad opening and Ryoko's other songs are great. They also at least gave a sort of satisfying conclusion to the original series (although it's still frustrating how rushed it was).
You're not considering the legal problems that were going on. They couldn't make it any onger, because technically, they weren't supposed to be making Crash at all due to the aforementioned legal problems.

I can't remember all the details, but the basic idea is that the creator of Bubblegum was having agreement problems with the group that did Crisis. (which is why Crisis ended eithout an ending) So he went off and took Bubblegum to another group, who did Crash. Crash is how Crisis was supposed to end, just obviously rushed because they had to get it out quick before Crisis' group could get the project shut down.

The guy behind Bubblegum also had problems with the group who did his opther work, Gunsmith Cats. I believe he ended up doing something similar to what he did with Crash, with the Bean Bandit OVA.

So they couldn't make Crash any less rushed because if they took to long, the other group would have shut them down before they could even finish it.
Old 2013-09-09, 11:11   Link #10
ServantOfPriss
Slowpoke

Oh, I know the whole story about AIC, Youmex and ARTMIC (AIC a shit), but just wanted to rate the series based on my experience with them.

Sad that Youmex and ARTMIC went down, because they were the real heroes when making BGC and Gall Force. AIC has always seemed to bring misfortune to them, though.
Old 2013-09-09, 19:55   Link #11
JagdPanther

Quote:
Neither, it's yet another reimagining like 2040.

Placed in a highschool setting, all characters are full-blooded Japanese now (unlike the OVA and 2040 where they had some sort of "internationality"), and it was a one-shot.

OVA is great, although it has some issues in pacing in the first episodes or so, but it really picks up in pretty much all aspects by the fourth episode.
Thanks for the info.

I did like the 2040 cast's "internationality," as you put it. I guess Sylia was born in Japan but she is European, ethnically, and Nene is partially Russian, right?

Old 2013-09-09, 21:13   Link #12
ServantOfPriss
Slowpoke

IIRC, Sylia has at least SOME Japanese blood in her, although that's just judging her father's FIRST name, mind you. For all we know, he could've been born in Japan from Western parents and he was just given a native name to "fit in" or something. At least in the original OVA, because from what I remember of 2040, I think they confirm (somehow, I need to rewatch 2040 pronto) that she's part Japanese, or something.

As for Nene, I think it's never been established just what exactly she is. It's usually assumed she's just Russian.

Who knows what Priss is, because of her first name, her having an apparent middle name (Priss S. Asagiri), and her looks (although it doesn't help that Sonoda is a huge westaboo who likes to draw everyone like westerners).

Same goes for Linna, although I've always been told by the older fans that she's full-blooded Japanese. 2040 pretty much does this straight with her rural origins.

Sadly, the RPG books never elaborate on this IIRC, and since I don't know Japanese at all, I can't tell if the available art books have any say on this.
Old 2013-09-10, 18:39   Link #13
JagdPanther

Er, yeah, that's kinda what I meant. My bad. I think Sylia is part Japanese and part European.

Old 2013-09-19, 14:58   Link #14
darktruth

Good timing for this thread being created as I recently got in the OOP Atelier Sai action figure of Priss. Still find it funny I got this highly sought after figure that BGC fans seem to want for just $20! Also got Nene's version which will come in about a week or two.

Spoiler:

More photos

On another note, Having watched 2040 first before I discovered the original 80's version, I found myself liking Leon's character from the 80's version than the 2040 version. 2040 Leon seemed way to grouchy.

Conversation's deep
When you talk to yourself
There's no way to cheat
Cause you know you can't be no one else…
darktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 15:06   Link #15
ServantOfPriss
Slowpoke

Oh yes, Leon in 2040 was too much of aa no-fun character at times, it got annoying.

And I'm just waiting to get out of my bankrupcy, because I'm already getting my eyes on all of the figures. Might even get the Light Novel too just to widen the collection.
Old 2013-09-20, 05:07   Link #16
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

<<--(building a 1:12 Priss and Motoslave kit)
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 17:58   Link #17
Dextro
He Without a Title

It looks like the trend kickstarted* by Studio Rikka with the Time of EVE kickstarter has brought us another oportunity: Bubblegum Crisis Ultimate Edition Blu-Ray Set.

* Yes, that pun was totally 100% intentional
Old 2013-11-08, 12:02   Link #18
Tasuke Shichiri
♥Mikuru Asahina♥

big fan of the original 1987/1991 OVA series here, have the Animeigo complete series LD set, and a 1988 PIONEER CLD-3030 LDP to spin them with.

i also really dig the soundtrack. it, along with the BUBBLEGUM CRASH OST, are collectively among the finest Anime music ever composed, IMHO...