AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-23, 13:26   Link #3081
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Yes, Agito and Rein were both in full-size mode when Hayate and Einhart were discussing the creation of her new Device. Agito first used her full-size mode during a sound-stage, and she calls her her "Help Around The House" mode.
Old 2011-04-23, 15:38   Link #3082
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

In the sound stage where her full size is first revealed, Rein explains that her mana control drops when she goes full-size.
Old 2011-05-06, 22:53   Link #3083
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Would we say that the Bureau is as far from modern earth as we are from the pre-Renaissance middle ages? Or is the technological gap even larger?

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
Old 2011-05-06, 23:06   Link #3084
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura View Post
Would we say that the Bureau is as far from modern earth as we are from the pre-Renaissance middle ages?
Depends on what aspect of civilization are you comparing with.

Quote:
Or is the technological gap even larger?
Technology wise, they're definitely superior, probably like comparing between pre-gunpowder ages and early 21st century. Organization wise however they seem to be somewhat inferior (which is curious, since organization usually improves everytime technology does so), and there are some cultural values that "modern" people would scorn *cough*child soldiers*cough*
Old 2011-05-07, 14:21   Link #3085
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
yeah, but in this case, the children are also viewed as weapons

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2011-05-07, 21:35   Link #3086
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Not that large a gap as I was expecting, then.

Is there any evidence that BJs can/not engage in trans-atmospheric operations? The speed is obviously a problem, but if a sufficiently fast tug was in place, would a mage be able to do reentry with just his BJ? Or is it a question of power ie. a C-ranking redshirt would not be able to but Rein Eins could?

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
Old 2011-05-07, 21:49   Link #3087
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura View Post
Is there any evidence that BJs can/not engage in trans-atmospheric operations? The speed is obviously a problem, but if a sufficiently fast tug was in place, would a mage be able to do reentry with just his BJ? Or is it a question of power ie. a C-ranking redshirt would not be able to but Rein Eins could?
Wouldn't it be more a matter of skills in protective shields and fields, including the necessary environmental fields to survive the upper atmosphere?
Old 2011-05-08, 16:10   Link #3088
mielipuoli

well, looking into the Required Secondary Powers, reentry would need something to deal with tremendous heat (not so hard, energy shields can hold back tremendous fire and energy weapons), massive air pressure (again, shouldn't be hard, elemental air control shouldn't be achievable), and a supply of breathable air that can regulate pressure and temperature control. There's also some ionization, plasma and its radio interference is a side effect. Very importantly, you've got to have some way to deal with the g force. Apollo 16, for example, went past 7g on reentry; it obviously didn't kill anyone but it did require a significant amount of support to handle safely.

As far as air/temperature/pressure, a lot of that seems to be in hand. Remember the shell that protected Subaru in the fire, it clearly kept the convection and thermal radiation away as well. I don't see why you couldn't make something similar that could hold air within, enough of it to sustain breathability for a minimum ten minute period. The main trick would be shaping it so that you've lost enough velocity by the time you're at low altitude that you can dispel the shield and fly normally - assuming you're a flight-capable mage. Assuming you're not, well...

...you know, you could just dimensionally transfer instead of reentering. Still, the idea's seemingly possible.
Old 2011-05-10, 15:29   Link #3089
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Was Precia's reactor project (the one that killed Alicia) ever named in any of the Nanoha material, like the sound stages or the novel? If not, was the facility that housed the reactor ever named?
Old 2011-05-11, 02:20   Link #3090
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Was Precia's reactor project (the one that killed Alicia) ever named in any of the Nanoha material, like the sound stages or the novel? If not, was the facility that housed the reactor ever named?
Maybe in the novel, but I am pretty sure it's never named in the anime and the Sound Stages. Didn't pay that much attention during the movie, though, either...
Old 2011-05-11, 03:08   Link #3091
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
Maybe in the novel, but I am pretty sure it's never named in the anime and the Sound Stages. Didn't pay that much attention during the movie, though, either...
i remember it being named either in movie or in one of the versions of S1 (maybe lue ray/DVD ones).
Old 2011-05-11, 10:50   Link #3092
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I thought it was named in the movie too, but I've been skimming through it and coming up short on all of the flashbacks that involve it. I don't recall the facility or the type of accident being mentioned, let alone depicted, in the original anime season.
Old 2011-05-18, 12:23   Link #3093
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Can someone help me make sense of the Bureau uniforms?

My current sources: the relationship chart and this group pic (pics are SFW, site is not).

Enforcers: Mostly black, with a few silver lines (see Fate and Teana in the pics above, Teana and Runessa in the SSX booklet)

Tactical Instructors: White with dark blue shoulders (see Nanoha on the pics above and Vita in the group pic)

Air Force: Same as TIs (see Tiida Lanster on the relations chart)?

Navy: Medium blue with dark blue, almost black shoulders (see Hayate and Rein in the group pic; also Gil Graham and Amy). Also, for some female Admirals, miniskirt is replaced with white trousers and long blue coat (see Lindy in the chart and Leti). Except Chrono, who still wears his black Enforcer uniform even as an Admiral.

Ground Forces + Riot Force 6 (since they are de jure part of the Ground Forces): Light brown with dark brown shoulders (see the Yagamis, Nakajimas, and Vice on the chart, and Caro and Erio on the group pic). Senior Officers additionally have a silver braid on their belts (see Hayate on the chart and Genya). However, the main Mid-Childa office staff wear Navy uniforms for whatever reason (see Regius and Auris).

Rescue Unit: I don't think Subaru's uniform in the group pic is custom, so it's probable that the Rescue Unit has a uniform similar to Tactical Instructors, except it's more grayish white, has more blue on the shoulders, and two lines of buttons. Are the character designers running out of ideas?

I also suspect that Verossa's white suit is his uniform but he is the only Inspector we've seen so far, so...
Old 2011-05-18, 13:19   Link #3094
Arcc
Knight who says D'ni

I can address the last one, anyway: in the StrikerS manga they say Subaru's been scouted for the SRT, which has special silver uniforms. So yes, her unit's uniform is unique and neither representative of Mid's rescue squads as a whole, nor derivative of the air force (which both Tiida and Nanoha belong to).

In real-life Japan, the Special Rescue Team is the most elite of elite SAR squads, with only a couple dozen members who are already the best of the best and heroes in their own right before they're hand-picked to join. They were formed after a major maritime disaster to do the most dangerous rescues from sinking ships about to explode and other places that most firefighters and rescue teams would have the odds severely stacked against their own survival (and yes, I am a bit of a fan). It operates under the direction of Japanese Coast Guard (not Air Force) and is likely analogous to its Mid counterpart.

Last edited by Arcc; 2011-05-18 at 13:39.
Old 2011-05-18, 13:32   Link #3095
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Thanks a bunch, didn't now either of it. ^^
Old 2011-05-20, 11:55   Link #3096
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Is there a comprehensive yet detailed description of the contents of the Lyrical Toy Box somewhere on the net? Preferably in English, but Japanese will do, too.
Old 2011-05-21, 03:57   Link #3097
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
Is there a comprehensive yet detailed description of the contents of the Lyrical Toy Box somewhere on the net? Preferably in English, but Japanese will do, too.
Forgive me for not actually answering, but what's a "Lyrical Toy Box" again?
Old 2011-05-21, 04:45   Link #3098
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
It's the obscure origin of MGLN. A fan material CD released for Triangle Heart 3 that originally cast Nanoha as a MG (Lindy was a fairy, the ferret wasn't Yuuno, and Chrono was evil). But that's as much as I know about it. %)
Old 2011-05-21, 14:46   Link #3099
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha is a spin-off of Lyrical Toy Box which is a spin-off of Triangle Hearts 3.

Yes. The origin story is a little complicated.

Also, badassery runs in the family genes.
Spoiler for tidiness:

Cheers.
Old 2011-05-21, 15:14   Link #3100
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha is a spin-off of Lyrical Toy Box
I have seen that video, too, but is that really all there is to the Lyrical Toy Box? I thought it kinda contained more than just a music video/OP...