Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-01-06, 21:13   Link #41
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I think it's a solid first episode.

In terms of the musical side I did prefer the start Hibike had, but that was a pretty outstanding job done there. Be a bit ridiculous to hold everyone to that standard. While I wouldn't ding the show for not being that good, it's hard not to make a mental comparison.

The two leads are ok. The energetic, but not as sharp Chika. The smart, but kind of smart aleck Haruta. Will be interesting to see how the show develops these two. Certainly a kind of unique setup with both the female and male lead both interested in this older guy (might be the first time since card captors).

Didn't blow me away or anything, but it was ok.
Old 2016-01-06, 21:21   Link #42
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

That talk about reaching the Nationals make me want a collab between HaruChika and Hibike.
I-It's not like I want a showdown or anything.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-06, 21:34   Link #43
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Still waiting for the "I hate gay stuff in my anime! Why can't this be more like Hibike?" post...
Oh, that's already pretty prevalent elsewhere. And obviously gay male characters should be hidden as they ruin heterosexual male fantasies even if they're not fanservice shows directed at a heterosexual male audience. Though I have no idea why anyone would watch a PA Works show for that

Also, I'm not going to pull a double standard. I like yuri and yea obviously couldn't help but make referneces to Hibike but honestly I'm not gonna be like "eww bl/yaoi"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
So male lead is gay eh? I actually don't mind, as there was a TON of HaruChika moments this episode. Heck, in this scene, he even leans in for a kiss:

I also love how the above, out of context, can be mistaken for him confessing his love to her lol. It's even complete with blushing and everything!

It's actually fun to be in the receiving side of "Het Bait" this time around. I mean, just because the male lead is gay doesn't mean he isn't bi, as Wandering Son has shown that these people can often be very confused, so there's still hope.
Thanks for remembering bisexual people exist. It's not an ironic comment; you'd be surprised at how rare this is.

And yea, that's a nice shot.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-06, 22:11   Link #44
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well a good start the girl seems fun but the boy seems to strait-laced and those twins looks cute
Old 2016-01-06, 23:27   Link #45
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Ui, Chiak,,, *cough* Wrong anime.
Yeah, it was pretty... okay for PA Works. At least it doesn't seem to be trying to be overly deep or philosophical, though the gay setting is meh. The female protagonist's eyes are also noticeable, though I doubt there is a reason for it.

Anyways, "okay".

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 00:54   Link #46
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Nice character designs, love Chika's design and character.

Haruta's interest, doe......

OP song is okay.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 02:03   Link #47
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Character designs by Nishida Asako (Simoun, Touka Gettan, Vampire Knight, Love Live). Didn't really look like her stuff at first, except for the amazing eyes. But then I began to see it.

The voice of the main character (VA: Sarah Emi Bridcutt) put me off at first. I found it too artificial and thought maybe it was (surprisingly, since her father's Australian) too Japanese for me. But I gradually got into the style, in context.

I find the look of the show great, the story flowed well (lead writer Yoshida Reiko did Marimite, K-On, Nodame, etc., etc.), and I liked the characters. Director Hashimoto Masakazu did Tari Tari and Soul Eater Not.

I enjoyed the late OP by fhána, whose songs I like. And I'm looking forward to the real ED by ChouCho, who I like even more.

The gay co-protagonist was a surprise, but not an unpleasant one. Cool twist.

To see PA Works seemingly jump into the same world as Euphonium was a bit of a downer, but there doesn't seem to be much imitation here. I feel neutral but to the positive side. We'll see where this goes. I enjoyed ep1, anyway.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissičre (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2016-01-07 at 02:25.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 09:36   Link #48
Kamieichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
That talk about reaching the Nationals make me want a collab between HaruChika and Hibike.
I-It's not like I want a showdown or anything.
Yeah, I've wanted to see the collab too since I read HaruChika novel, like...Reina and Haruta, Chika talk about which Sensei is better or ... something. (Limit of my poor imagination)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Character designs by Nishida Asako (Simoun, Touka Gettan, Vampire Knight, Love Live). Didn't really look like her stuff at first, except for the amazing eyes. But then I began to see it.
There is an "original" character designer: Namaniku ATK (employee of Nitroplus, also Chaika's designer)
http://myanimelist.net/people/30313/Namaniku_ATK
If you are talking about the eyelashes, it is Namaniku ATK's trait.
Kamieichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 10:27   Link #49
HandofFate

dang, another childhood friend route closed off.
Old 2016-01-07, 10:59   Link #50
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Oh, that's already pretty prevalent elsewhere. And obviously gay male characters should be hidden as they ruin heterosexual male fantasies even if they're not fanservice shows directed at a heterosexual male audience.
Eh, 12 year olds, amirite ? And... much more sadly... some 20-something year olds who STILL have the mindset of a 12 year old .

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 11:00   Link #51
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I like this show. I'm just... having trouble getting through those damn eyes!
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 11:44   Link #52
Bakaizer
Demon Hunter

i can't take it seriously
Old 2016-01-07, 11:49   Link #53
moodie

when i was in high school, heck even middle school i would have crushes on my hot female teachers. i don't see whats wrong with a male who is gay to feel the same desires as everyone else has/can.
moodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 12:15   Link #54
ookamigirl

From volleyball to brass band club.
That sure was a change!
So pretty much standard high school life with some music.
Looks like this is starting to be a theme this winter... high school club life.
Skipping it.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 12:22   Link #55
Fairy Water

I was about to ship them together... dang it!

Why does it feel so weird when Haruka said those words while Im getting excited everytime Yuu and Mika from OnS embrace each other? lol

My motivation ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
So male lead is gay eh? I actually don't mind, as there was a TON of HaruChika moments this episode. Heck, in this scene, he even leans in for a kiss:

I also love how the above, out of context, can be mistaken for him confessing his love to her lol. It's even complete with blushing and everything!

It's actually fun to be in the receiving side of "Het Bait" this time around. I mean, just because the male lead is gay doesn't mean he isn't bi, as Wandering Son has shown that these people can often be very confused, so there's still hope.
praying hard
Fairy Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 12:52   Link #56
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodie View Post
when i was in high school, heck even middle school i would have crushes on my hot female teachers. i don't see whats wrong with a male who is gay to feel the same desires as everyone else has/can.
Which is fine so long as his actions are kept within reason. Pretty sure I never tried to investigate the backgrounds of any of my teachers while in school . Luckily he's the main character so isn't likely to turn into a stalker.
Old 2016-01-07, 13:17   Link #57
Hakuro
Banned

And dropped, I am watching hibike all over again or what?

Well better leave this thread before someone gets mad because some users aren't into "gay" stuff.
Hakuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 13:43   Link #58
Yamada II

Episode 1
It was a bit of a fun start I think. The mystery which was mistaken for a revenge note or something, turned out to be a love confession to the sensei. And another confession was that the MC is gay. That wasn't quite what I expected here though. I kinda expected the usual stuff. The MC caught me and Chika off guard. She totally didn't expect her male childhood friend to be a love rival above all things.

This had some nice comedy scenes with Chika trying to be an elegant little girl but failing thanks to Haruta reminiscing about her tomboyish childhood in front of the sensei and Chika not understanding most of whatever was going on when Haruta was trying to decipher the message. I'll stick around a bit.

The ED (which will be the OP probably) was good, but not as good as I expected out of fhána. Kinda disappointed me to be honest. It didn't feel good enough.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 15:48   Link #59
zeross87

wow did not expect the episode to be this badly received.

come one guys, the mystery could only be solved by japanese people alright, but it was not bad. hyouka had a really worse first one.

the music will probably not be as great as hibike too, but well you can't compare every anime to the best and say everything inferior is bad. sure its not as well animated, but well you can't beat kyoani on this stuff, even if you're pa works.

i did find this ep very enjoyable, the first set of character is good, and a lot more will come. i just hope it wont be a "character of the week" type of anime, but i doubt it will

all this gay stuff dont affect me at all, i mean i'm all for yuri every time in every anime, the one who like yaoi can have a little for themselves too, right ? i don't like yaoi myself but i wont ever hate a anime just for that. beside come one, it probably wont be the main focus of the show anyway

so, i'm liking this a lot, and i will definitely watch it all there is little pa works that i did not watch until the end anyway )

eidit : the only thing that really bother me are the eyes
zeross87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 17:06   Link #60
Draco Spirit

Not too shabby a first episode.

The first mystery had the misfortune to be one that requires a good understanding of Japanese and music to have a prayer to solve, hopefully the future one's won't be so imposable.

I really liked the MC. Her design is pretty distinctive without breaking the setting, but more so the idea of tomboyish sporty driven somewhat dense girl deciding that she wants to be a cute flute player is a great plot pusher. She's newbie and audience surrogate who hopefully got a rich and interesting character arc ahead of her.

The 'rival/childhood friend' a nice contrast and foil for her. Be interesting to see if get a balanced gay guy character in a show too. Through my money on him being bisexual enough to end up being with Chika by the end.

The music sounds ok, nothing grabbed me yet, but it fit's with the show at least.

I optimistic that that this show could be my fix for Tordora/Golden Time withdrawal this session. PA Works may have been a little wonky lately... but Charlotte's greatest weakness by far was it's script writing with it other elements actually being rather good on the whole. The story here seems far harder to get wrong, since it's a classic assemble the band plot and based of a existing book.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote