Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-09-02, 22:13   Link #1
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Hard Drive issues

My father had me take a look at his laptop because he was experiencing slowdown issues on it. What I found was, for some reason, the secondary HD looked like it was almost full... However when I checked, it looked like he had less than 4 gigs of actual content in it (I made sure to be able to view hidden files and folders as well), out of a total of 65+ gigs.

I ran a scan on it, but couldn't find anything malicious. Hmm.
Old 2011-09-04, 03:45   Link #2
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Maybe this tool will help uncover where the disc space went:
http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/ (TreeSize Free)

Also what "scan" did you run? If it was only to check for virus or malware you might also want to run a disc check (right-click on drive in Explorer, click "properties" and select "Tools" tab, it's the first option).
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 13:10   Link #3
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Just run chkdsk and disk defragmentation. (Right-click on the drive and select Tools, when chkdsk'ing be sure to select it so that it's ran next time you restart the computer).

... Oops, GHDPro said this already. Oh well... Assuming the problem is fixed by the disk check, then do run the defrag also.
Old 2011-09-05, 04:37   Link #4
sa547
*Author

I'd like to add another, in addition to the aforementioned recommended steps: CClean -- some of the big files could be temporary files left over and not deleted, or that the browser cache has not been purged.
Old 2011-09-06, 00:30   Link #5
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
My father had me take a look at his laptop because he was experiencing slowdown issues on it. What I found was, for some reason, the secondary HD looked like it was almost full... However when I checked, it looked like he had less than 4 gigs of actual content in it (I made sure to be able to view hidden files and folders as well), out of a total of 65+ gigs.

I ran a scan on it, but couldn't find anything malicious. Hmm.
Are you 100% sure it wasn't partitioned that way by mistake? That could easily make up the discrepency if for whatever reason a large chunk of the HDD wasn't partitioned as part of the volume. Also things like system restore and backup options if improperly allocated can eat up a huge chunk of HD space?

Is your dad running Windows Vista/7? If so does the volume actually read as near full on the icon under my computer? Also what happens when you look at the properties of the volume? Does it report the expected file size or the inflated one?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 01:52   Link #6
Reverzer0
Sleeping

you can also manually delete those temporary files who eat a large space of your hard disk.

you can find them here for example,

C:\Documents and Settings\ReverzerO\Local Settings\Temp
Reverzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote