AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Amagami SS

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-24, 18:57   Link #61
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandchaosSR View Post
I think the reason why they messed up Ai's arc is because they don't want her arc to outshine Tsukasa's arc. Its already hard to out do what they did to Haruka and Kaoru's arc so the writers are taking a back seat for a while until the final episode where we will get all the good stuff. I won't be surprised if they mess up Rihoko's arc but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that thought that at some point. Although, I dismissed it at the time since I'm a massive Ai fan, and I don't care for Ayatsuji. So I figured it was just fanboy conspiracy crap .

Anyway, my character rankings go:

1: Ai
2:Haruka
3:Kaoru
4: Sae
Old 2010-10-24, 20:03   Link #62
Overflow
Spear the Gungnir

ai's arc was awesome. i'm biased towards haruka, but damn that was a good arc.

i'll reserve the right to change my opinion until i finish the whole series though. (mainly just waiting for ayatsuji's arc
Old 2010-10-25, 00:57   Link #63
grandchaosSR
Servant of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that thought that at some point. Although, I dismissed it at the time since I'm a massive Ai fan, and I don't care for Ayatsuji. So I figured it was just fanboy conspiracy crap .

Anyway, my character rankings go:

1: Ai
2:Haruka
3:Kaoru
4: Sae
They are always trying to sell Tsukasa since the PS2 game(by putting her on the cover) but gamers only ranked her 5th fave girl. And now they are doing the same thing. IMO its a bad move because it ruins what Haruka and Kaoru arcs have already established.
Old 2010-10-25, 13:17   Link #64
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandchaosSR View Post
They are always trying to sell Tsukasa since the PS2 game(by putting her on the cover) but gamers only ranked her 5th fave girl. And now they are doing the same thing. IMO its a bad move because it ruins what Haruka and Kaoru arcs have already established.
Oh, for sure. The way they market Ayatsuji is aggressive as hell. They gave her two manga adaptations, she's at the center of almost all promo art, and she dominates the OP. It's like they're screaming "HEY! YOU SHOULD CARE ABOUT HER!" That's a huge turnoff to me. I don't like being told which character I should like/care for. It often has the opposite effect for me. As far as popularity, Ai owns her. She takes the #1 or #2 spot on most polls that the producers wanted Ayatsuji to have.
Old 2010-10-25, 19:07   Link #65
A l i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
Oh, for sure. The way they market Ayatsuji is aggressive as hell. They gave her two manga adaptations, she's at the center of almost all promo art, and she dominates the OP. It's like they're screaming "HEY! YOU SHOULD CARE ABOUT HER!" That's a huge turnoff to me. I don't like being told which character I should like/care for. It often has the opposite effect for me. As far as popularity, Ai owns her. She takes the #1 or #2 spot on most polls that the producers wanted Ayatsuji to have.
Maybe the creators of the game is implying that Ayatsuji is the "main" character of the story, even though there are other characters?
Old 2010-10-25, 20:24   Link #66
GundamZZ
残念美人

I think some Ai's fans are too much. Real Ai's fans think the ending was the real treat. It includes the game's story from Ai's three routes.

The story of Amagami is good as way it is. I don't want to see some unpopular twist as Kimikiss anime, where Mao was popular enough to dethrone the main heroine. The result was the outrage from fans.

So, Tsukasa is the main heroine. So, be it. She's good in her own way. Besides, each heroine's story is self contained. There's no single heroine dominating other heroines. What's wrong for putting Tsukasa at the center of photo shoot?

By the way, it may be just me. I think the outdoor sox in hot spring is going to boost DVD/BD sales. It' not I'm complaining about it. When watching the hot spring sequence, can't stop hearing clapping/air pumping sound in my head.

Yes, DVD/BD sales is what producers cared. More fans like the story, the better sale. In this case, the anime is quite faithful to the game.
Old 2010-10-25, 20:49   Link #67
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
I think some Ai's fans are too much. Real Ai's fans think the ending was the real treat. It includes the game's story from Ai's three routes.

The story of Amagami is good as way it is. I don't want to see some unpopular twist as Kimikiss anime, where Mao was popular enough to dethrone the main heroine. The result was the outrage from fans.

So, Tsukasa is the main heroine. So, be it. She's good in her own way. Besides, each heroine's story is self contained. There's no single heroine dominating other heroines. What's wrong for putting Tsukasa at the center of photo shoot?

By the way, it may be just me. I think the outdoor sox in hot spring is going to boost DVD/BD sales. It' not I'm complaining about it. When watching the hot spring sequence, can't stop hearing clapping/air pumping sound in my head.

Yes, DVD/BD sales is what producers cared. More fans like the story, the better sale. In this case, the anime is quite faithful to the game.
Not all Ai fans are fotunate enough to play the game. I'm one of those, so I wouldn't know how faithful the adaptation is. I can only go on what's in english. And that is the manga and the anime.

My comments about Ayatsuji were about the rather blatant ways they tried to shift viewers/readers interest to her.
Old 2010-10-26, 04:35   Link #68
U<3Anime
Boo!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who did not enjoy Ai's arc at all. I thought I was living in a totally different world when I saw all the raving comments about Ai's arc like "Ai Arc #1!". I think I had my expectations way too high and that it ended up being a major disappointment. It also didn't convert me into a total Ai fan like I thought it would. With that in mind, I'm going to keep my expectations low again for Rihioko and hope it will turn out as a surprise.

On the other hand, seems like I'm still the odd one out who actually prefers Sae's arc over Kaoru's. Infact, call me crazy if you will, but I actually enjoyed Sae's arc. Despite Junichi's pervertedness being displayed at full force, I thought it was really cute and sweet....
Old 2010-10-26, 11:16   Link #69
justavisitor

I enjoyed Sae's arc too...I think that arc was actually very good..so you are definitely not alone in that one XD
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2010-10-26, 12:06   Link #70
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

In term of arc :

Ai>Kaoru>Haruka>Sae

In term of charcater

Ai>Kaoru>Haruka>Sae

Now, If i include Ayatsuji in it :

Ayatsuji=Ai>Kaoru>Haruka>Sae

I like all of the girl in this show But honestly, in term of depth, Ayatsuji is the number one. I'm really waiting for her arc

Now, what I don't like in Amagami SS is how Junichi is protrayed especially in Sae's arc (that's why it's the one that I like the less). He's sometime really stupid.
Old 2010-10-26, 12:20   Link #71
wingman32x

Counting Ayatsuji, mine would look like:

Character:

Ai>Haruka>Kaoru>Ayatsuji>Sae.

Story:

Ai> Ayatsuji> Kaoru> Haruka>Sae.

Barring something surprising, I expect Rihoko to fit between Ayatsuji and Sae.

I'm also looking forward to Ayatsuji's arc. Mainly to see people's reactions to it. (Assuming it's anything like the manga.).

Last edited by wingman32x; 2010-10-26 at 14:33.
Old 2010-10-26, 13:28   Link #72
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

I can't count heroines whose arcs I know nothing about so for now for me it's:

Kaoru > Ai > Haruka > Sae
Old 2010-10-26, 13:36   Link #73
Mairsile
Athletic girls are sugoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
Now, what I don't like in Amagami SS is how Junichi is protrayed especially in Sae's arc (that's why it's the one that I like the less). He's sometime really stupid.
The arcs of Sae and Ai are like two sides to a coin. Many feel that Ai's arc didn't live up her character. On the other hand, Sae's arc didn't appeal to some because of her uniquely shy personality. Unlike Haruka, Kaoru and Ai, Sae didn't showcase much of a sense of humor and frisky/playful nature. Compared to those three girls, Junichi's random antics could somehow match those of the girls. However, Junichi and Sae were polar opposites in regards to that aspect of their personality. Simply put: Sae basically came across as the girl who was "too nice" and Junichi "too naughty." This is why I believe the writers emphasized Junichi's perversion in Sae's arc more so than with the other girls.

I like relationships supported by compatibility and Junichi was compatible with Haruka, Kaoru and Ai for various reasons. In my opinion, Junichi didn't really have anything in common with Sae. This was also another reason I couldn't get in to Sae's arc and felt this relationship was the least convincing.

Last edited by Mairsile; 2010-10-26 at 13:49.
Old 2010-10-26, 13:38   Link #74
A l i

I would actually vote for Kaoru > Sae > Haruka > Ai as the order from best to worst. Sae didn't really have the most dramatic moments, but it was really light-hearted, and that's good enough for me. Ai's arc never clicked with me for some reason, especially since the main climax of the story was basically solved in the 3rd episode (there was hardly a need for a 4th episode if they solved the main climax that fast. The beginning of the 4th episode was basically filler anyways).
Old 2010-10-27, 16:41   Link #75
pikachuwei

time for biased fanboy opinion *cough*

Haruka da best!

/thread

on slightly more serious note, imo haruka>ai>kaoru>sae

i am embarassed to say i almost was won over to the ai team, she seriously is amazing. But after rewatching haruka arc yet again, i kept my sanity (or is it lack of sanity? )

i still stand by my theory that haruka ending is the one true ending to end them all

where junichi breaks up with each of the other girls after the end of their respective arcs in time to get together with haruka and initiate that "10 years later" event!

4 arcs in and my theory has yet to be refuted
Old 2010-10-27, 17:57   Link #76
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... well, of the four arcs that have aired thus far I would have to say that Ai has been my favorite. I have liked all four of the arcs, though, so it isn't really a black/white distinction.

There was something about Ai that just really clicked with me. Something very "normal" and even ... wholesome, somehow.

In "second place" would be Kaoru ... there was a very real and endearing quality about her I liked.

Then would come Sae and Haruka - again, not that I DISLIKED their arcs, it is just that they did not make as much of an impact on me.

I am looking forward to Rhioko's arc ... maybe we will be able to see a little bit more of Juinichi as a person in terms of character development.

For me in all four of the arcs he only really began to stand out a little in the Kaoru arc. I am having a hard time "blending" all the info from all the arcs into one entire "personality" for him - although maybe it was not meant to be so "harmonized"?
Old 2010-10-27, 18:25   Link #77
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

In comparing Arcs on a rating so far, my list would be like
1. Kaoru (Just like most people said, the realistic feeling concerning her storyline)
2. Ai (Just like Mycanid, unknown to what clicked for me for Ai, but it just did )
3. Haruka (You just gotta love Haruka's personality )
4. Sae (Cuteness was good.. But a very awkward setup in some senses)
Old 2010-10-27, 20:18   Link #78
Midnight Bliss
Radiant as the sun;
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Midnight Bliss
I also enjoyed the Sae arc, to be honest. I didn't exactly love Junichi and his level of pervertedness, but I loved the chemistry between the two. Maybe because I have a thing for opposites.
I was a big Ai fan from the start before her arc, and her arc of course met above my expectations. I loved her arc and it will remain as my favorite until Tsukasa's arc comes around, which I think will top all. I haven't read the manga or played the game, but I'm pretty sure her story will be good. I've heard a bit about it.
Haruka's arc lacked chemistry between her and Junichi. Her arc was fun, sometimes she was a bit too hyper or weird, and I didn't really see chemistry between her and Junichi, but I liked her arc, especially the ending, it was a great ending.
While it might be the more realistic and mature, I didn't enjoy Kaoru's arc all that much. Kaoru's a nice character, and her and Junichi had chemistry, of course, being childhood friends and all, but I didn't love her arc or anything like others do. It was nice, though, I don't exactly dislike it. The ending was very flat, though. Her arc got me a bit bored at some parts, tbh. But yeah, I mean, Kaoru's a good character even so. I just think the "drama" was just something to use to get her and Junichi another step ahead from their friendship relationship. It didn't really get solved too much to me.
I do not think Rihoko's arc will top Ai's. I think the most interesting thing would be seeing things from her point of view, but that's all. I don't think anything else will really top Ai's arc. Kind of something to wither things down a bit after Ai's amazing arc, and then to get right into Tsukasa's arc which will top Ai's by the end or sooner. I might be wrong about Rihoko's arc though, maybe her arc will be just as good as Ai's, or close. All I know is that I'm excited. <3
Old 2010-10-28, 01:26   Link #79
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm comparing the story arcs and the young women separately so far.... as far as *story* arcs, I have to say Haruka's arc was the most complete and well-structured. Kaoru's arc comes next with its measured tone of two people who've known each other for ages deciding their bond is more... but then it just kind of cut off or ended in a "whoops we're out of time". Ai's arc was okay but it just didn't seem to have the conviction that the manga adaptation did.... they ended up together "just because". I didn't find it very amazing at all. Poor Sae got royally shafted with her arc... I'm told the source material isn't that deep either but it just seemed to be odd comedy so the tone difference left it short compared to the others.

As far as the young women themselves... Kaoru just seems to fall into my comfort zone preference-wise, she's sharp-witted and mature-headed. Haruka is too flighty. Ai is ... well, just young and doesn't seem to have a lot to say. Sae makes one's head/heart just freeze up "nnnnngh!" ... but again, like Ai, after that... what?

I suspect I'll find Rihoko's arc charming.... and people rave about Tsukasa, but hey, we'll see.
Old 2010-10-28, 02:41   Link #80
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I think I agree with a lot of Vexx's comments about the routes. I have somewhat different opinions of the girls themselves though: I found Kaoru bland but think that Haruka is a fantastic character. I mostly agree on Sae being adorable but bland... you need to make an effort to develop shy girls to have them work well as characters and this show didn't. Ai actually struck me as pretty interesting: she's a quiet but not shy version of the playful, teasing type. And to top it off, she's the main character's junior, which is rare for the teasing type. There's some sort of moe appeal to a cute junior having a silent laugh at her boyfriend's expense. So far I'd probably rank Haruka > Ai > Sae (Okay, I'll admit it, I'm weak to her type...) > Kaoru for the girls and Haruka > Ai > Kaorui > Sae for the routes.

BTW, I'm disappointed by the fact there won't be a Hibiki route.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Closed Thread