AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-17, 02:50   Link #221
Dr. Casey

The Rep system was kind of nice in that you could anonymously flatter people for their posts. Complimenting them via PM or VM is indeed a possibility, but I am a very shy person and thus I'm afraid I can't do such a thing.

^ irl picture of me
Old 2012-12-17, 02:56   Link #222
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

I congratulate the moderators for finally doing away with this system. Ever since its introduction I have found the rep system to be a hindrance against expression. Under this system most people only want to post things that others want hear. This leads to an atmosphere where people are afraid of expressing their core beliefs for fear of reprisal.

Isn't this supposed to be an anonymous forum where people are shielded by the ever judging eyes of society? A temple of freedom where any individual can let his ideas fly without fear of odd and silent stares? A virtual land where complete strangers migrate to the safety and warmth of the interwebs to shamelessly blossom into the real inner beings that always were but never could be?

Reputation points are some kind of ego stroking currency. It is considered such a precious commodity that in its obsessional pursue critical thinking and constructive criticism are drowned and devoured in a sea of epeen infested shark waters.

And with this short rant I conclude my first and only say on this matter.

The end.
Old 2012-12-17, 02:59   Link #223
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
That makes me remember, very first - rep is at the Saimoe 2007 thread. It's because I had a gloating attitude when a character that I liked won. Behaved more after that. But I guess emotions ran high at that time, because received 3 or 4 more drive by - rep in that thread before the saimoe year was over. One of them is because I voted for Rika Furude. It's just fun memories now when I look back on those times.
Well, Saimoe threads are just not good for one's health in general. Best to stay away, though I realize they were much worse.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-12-17, 03:19   Link #224
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

I guess I lied when I said that I not going to post again on this matter. But I have to say that I am against any future system that encourages approval or disapproval of posts aside from a moderator's action.

My reasoning is simple; anything that involves a system of approval/disapproval is bound to generate competition for the accumulation of praise points. This kind of competition leads to segmentation and segregation. Ultimately, people end up caring more about the opinions of others rather than freely expressing their ideas, which leads to a shallow and artificial environment where no real discussion takes place, and where there is no real thinking there is only conformity and stagnation.
Old 2012-12-17, 03:28   Link #225
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
I guess I lied when I said that I not going to post again on this matter. But I have to say that I am against any future system that encourages approval or disapproval of posts aside from a moderator's action.

My reasoning is simple; anything that involves a system of approval/disapproval is bound to generate competition for the accumulation of praise points. This kind of competition leads to segmentation and segregation. Ultimately, people end up caring more about the opinions of others rather than freely expressing their ideas, which leads to a shallow and artificial environment where no real discussion takes place, and where there is no real thinking there is only conformity and stagnation.
I don't think that the majority of the regular people here care about their reputation points, atleast i don't when giving my opinions (in many occasions in a sacastic tone if i don't like something). If it really was the case in the situation you are describing, then there were hardly any discussions going on for certain animes and debatable subjects.
Old 2012-12-17, 04:04   Link #226
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
I congratulate the moderators for finally doing away with this system. Ever since its introduction I have found the rep system to be a hindrance against expression. Under this system most people only want to post things that others want hear. This leads to an atmosphere where people are afraid of expressing their core beliefs for fear of reprisal.
Again...really? Are you people that weak?

It's probably annoying hearing this from the guy who just made it on Ledgem's list (I'm still confused how), but I and I think some of the regular users who "made it" there never really cared about rep that much. As I wrote in the other post, I only cared about the negrep when it was about the nonsensical comments or lack thereof, and never about the points. And when I posrepped (more often before I discovered my disproportionate "power"), it was in thanks or in admiration, not because lolcirclejerk. A similar system with anonymity stripped, user-based points stripped would be perfectly fine. In fact it would be better, since my saying thanks or complimenting the ROFL won't contribute to the collapse of the Weimar economy.

Given that some of the statements come from the staff, I have to accept that perhaps a few members do play "the game," but it's starting to get incredibly annoying with all this cloak-and-daggers whispers of some circlejerking conspiracy for Les points verts and the Tyranny of the Long-Liners [If it's really that true, publish the darn evidence; we're not exactly on the verge of a scandal here just by being a little open with data, names removed of course]. They are not Benjamins. I don't get rich off them. I never paraded around my mighty rep power and Suck My Fingers And Compliment My Hair, Thou Who Art Junior Member. Never got the feeling "ordinary" members (ha! lowly plebeians) ever gave me special treatment, either, just that the other regulars noticed me a bit, and that would have been a natural development anyway with General Chat banter, with or without the greens.

If it's really causing that effect, well remove it, I'm not attached to the "status" (what status?). But slow down on the evil intent suggestion please. It's like Bastille Day, and I'm the fat aristocrat. :/

[/this post isn't really directed at Sugetsu, per se. Rather, it's a rant for a rant.]
Old 2012-12-17, 04:31   Link #227
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Actually I was planning to let this thread keep rolling itself up, though I have a feeling that there are people who are here seem to talk about the negative aspect of the rep system, basically the negrep.

Negrep or posrep, this system kind of functions like real life, there are bound to be people who don't like other for the littlest of the reasons, and there are others who feel the need to exact vengeance for being unable to outargue others.

More or less, as much as I like the rep system for what it is, there is a need to move on with or without the system. Cause and effect is a cycle; sooner or later another system similar to this reo system will take its place because this forum has way too many members and threads fpr the mods to moderate. Either there be new mods, less threads, or the members moderate each other.

P.S - With regards to the yahoo news commentaries, these people are just tired and frustrated. In a country so small, opportunities are limited to those with ties or ride alongside the white horses. Everyone else is just a corporate slave.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-12-17, 06:02   Link #228
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Coming back to this thread after about 19-ish hours since my last post, I think the rep bias has demonstrated itself - my suggestion of a Likes system ala used on Xenforo powered boards like Spacebattles (where you can publicly see who Liked your post) got ignored, until other posters with more rep suggested the a similar thing, at which point the discussion took off.

As for the actions of the mods, for any online forum to be run and administered by staff, it must be done so as a dictatorship. This is neither good or bad in itself - dictatorships can be benevolent, which is mostly the case with ASuki - but is just an fact of life. But that's beside the point. Direct representative democracy doesn't work on an online forum: try it, and you get chaos and mob rule.

At the end of the day, this is going forward. We've managed to survive before rep came about, we can survive without rep once more.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-12-17, 06:59   Link #229
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
That doesn't make any sense to me. If a question was asked in a thread, the answer should go in the same thread, no matter how brief.
And once again, I disagree. People ask all kinds of questions that may only require brief answers, whether it be with regards to a spoiler or to an off topic question, to many other possibilities I'm sure. Not every question asked in a thread will be deemed worthy for some people to create an entirely new post for.
Old 2012-12-17, 07:32   Link #230
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Well, Saimoe threads are just not good for one's health in general. Best to stay away, though I realize they were much worse.
Ok, that's Saimoe for you. But for me, the fun of voting in Saimoe is one of the reasons for staying here. Most of my first friends on Animesuki are also from Saimoe threads. Followed Saimoe up to 2009, but I had to stop following it at that year. Because 2chan banned most foreign voter I.P's.

Back on topic. I do wonder what Animesuki would be like after the rep system is gone?

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2012-12-17 at 08:59.
Old 2012-12-17, 08:35   Link #231
iceyfw

best change to happen to this forum board in a long while. i'm glad the moderators decided to do away with the horrid reputation system.
Old 2012-12-17, 10:03   Link #232
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Back on topic. I do wonder what Animesuki would be like after the rep system is gone?
A desolate hellscape where roving bands of narcissistic trolls scour the land messing with sane discussions unopposed save for the few bastions protected by the paladins (moderators)...?

Let's be honest, not much is going to change. I imagine the biggest change will probably be a slow down on avatar/sig creations (since part of the incentive to create was a potential positive rep) and a slow down on bad and silly jokes (is this the end of the 'Laugh a Day' style threads?). And while the former will take some getting used to, the latter will be a welcome respite for many.

---

As we commemorate our fallen rep system, let us celebrate our last rep point (whether positive or negative). My last rep point was a lame joke in the Bleach sub-forum. I wish I could have gone out with a decent post in one of the political threads, but c'est la vie.
Old 2012-12-17, 10:10   Link #233
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
A desolate hellscape where roving bands of narcissistic trolls scour the land messing with sane discussions unopposed save for the few bastions protected by the paladins (moderators)...?
A troll apocalypse? /just kidding

Quote:
As we commemorate our fallen rep system, let us celebrate our last rep point (whether positive or negative). My last rep point was a lame joke in the Bleach sub-forum. I wish I could have gone out with a decent post in one of the political threads, but c'est la vie.
Saved a screenshot of the last +reps received, they were given to the anime convention report that I've posted at the cosplay thread just a few days ago. Will also take a screenshot of this post as a souvenir of the rep system.

Very first rep on Animesuki is a minus (entirely my fault), while the very last one is a +.
I guess it's sort of a happy ending.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2012-12-17 at 11:16.
Old 2012-12-17, 10:14   Link #234
bigdeal000
malefic

My last rep was a pozrep coming from a lame joke in the Bleach subforum In fact, my last four reps come from lame jokes, three of them on the same Bleach thread. Oh, wow... Me and Bleach are quite the rep buddies
Old 2012-12-17, 10:31   Link #235
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

My last positive points came from giving some constructive criticism, as well as noting some strong points about a Tari Tari fanfic created by Arturia Polaris. In my brief 4-month time here, I did not pick up negative rep. Rep system or not, I'm going to keep on reading and discussing
Old 2012-12-17, 10:58   Link #236
Insane
Banned

Gonna miss you forever, rep system . . . including my latest positive rep which gave me 30 points in an instant just because of my sarcastic remark on sword art online subforum (Thx alot for the kindred soul in this regard).

Life goes on . . .
Old 2012-12-17, 12:22   Link #237
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Wow, this is a pretty big change. I admit I'll be a bit sad to see those little green boxes go but I certainly understand about those negative anonymous trolls.

However, I don't think it's a great idea for the forum to go without a similar system. My suggestion is to replace the rep system with a Thank you and Like system. I've seen those on other sites and they seem to work quite well. You can't be anonymous in that system, so that eliminates the cowardly trolls and users still get positive feedback for their contributions, without any negativity.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2012-12-17, 14:08   Link #238
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I've been busy with my university work that I hadn't had much time to really pay attention to either the forums or anything anime related for a good while. And it just happens to be the time where the most interesting changes were happening. Typical

I've read through the thread so far, and I feel like what I might say will be repetition of what was already said, so I'll try and keep it to my personal experience.

In the five-some years I've been hanging around here, I never grew particularly attached to the reputation system. It was just another feature of the forums that I might end up using if I remembered it to rep people who made useful or cool posts, though more often than not I ended up forgetting about it and just bookmarking the posts and telling the person directly what I thought about their posts. To me, it was just another way for me to get to talk to other members, which was one of the reasons why I always (or at least try to to remember to) sign my name on the reps I give out, in the off chance the user wanted to chat later.

I haven't really given the system much thought until I end up seeing a couple of threads that had members sharing their grievances with problems related to the system (to varying degrees) and that got me thinking about how the benefits vs. negatives the system had. In the end, I think that it would for the best to try and see how things go without the system, as it I think it would be for the best to retire it.

That said, I don't want to also forget to mention the positives the system had. Bringing it back to my own experience, the oldest posts that I have made here (that I'm not that ashamed of bringing back or reading them after all this time) that I received a +1 for had motivated me to think about what I write and to make my post count, whether it gets noticed or not (The Xam'd post was given a cookie months later after I had written it). It also gotten me to talk to a lot of cool folks like TRL, Ledgem, james, WingedDarkness, Kaioshin, Liddo, Mentar, Triple_R, Sinner, Reckoner, and that is just to name a few. Sure, it's not like this was the only way I might have met them, but it was still another way to start a conservation, and I'm going to miss that aspect with the system gone.

I will say that I support the idea that if the system was to return back in some form in the future, I would like to see the neutral rep idea that had been floating around implemented. I think that would keep the social element of the system in place at least.
Old 2012-12-17, 14:11   Link #239
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Hmm...
I agree with this change. There are positive points to the rep system, but it is true these is abuse too. Taking this away won't leave significant aftereffects and generally will be beneficial, I feel.
Anyways, I think it is a good idea.

But I will take a screenshot of my rep stuff before they all disappear into the oblivion.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2012-12-17, 15:04   Link #240
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayde View Post
And once again, I disagree. People ask all kinds of questions that may only require brief answers, whether it be with regards to a spoiler or to an off topic question, to many other possibilities I'm sure. Not every question asked in a thread will be deemed worthy for some people to create an entirely new post for.
It doesn't matter if it's deemed worthy of a new post (by the poster, I assume). It belongs in a new post for the simple reasons of:

1. Letting others know that the question has been answered.
2. Letting others correct the given answer if it's false.
3. Letting others add to the given answer if it's incomplete.
4. Letting other people who have the same questions find the answer without having to ask themselves.

This is actually one good example of why I do not like a commenting system tied to some reputation system which can potentially tempt people to use it instead of the thread itself all because their response will be short and not "deemed worthy" for a new post.

It's disappointing to me that a value judgment seems to be made of a post based on its length as to whether it's worthy of a post.

Sure, if the rule prohibits "I agree" posts and such, then fine, but that doesn't mean it should be a standard treatment to any brief post.
Closed Thread

Tags
forum, reputation