AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-28, 07:14   Link #1
hyperjake
hypervyper

Very Young Girls Dance to 'Single Ladies'

Okay, I read this article about 8-9 year old girls dancing to Beyonce's 'Single Ladies' - http://musicouch.com/musicouching/ei...-single-ladies
Do you think this is wrong?

I think it's taken out of context. Let me know what you think .

Last edited by hyperjake; 2010-05-28 at 08:25.
Old 2010-05-28, 07:27   Link #2
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Since your link doesn't work~

Holy hell @ 1:30 onwards, that's some physical energy I've only seen reserved for Dancehall xD
(Think Sean Paul and older black girls grinding and gyrating really powerfully but with skill)

Dance wise, they are freaking awesome and I applaud them.
There is a lot of ballet work in here, esp with their spins and turns, these kids know what they're doing.
Costume wise, slutty is not the way to go, I disapprove and that's their downfall. People are more shocked about their appearance, then their skill, hence the outcry.

Dance wise, there's nada wrong here though
Kinda amusing on a personal note to see a bunch of little white kids moving their bodies in ways I didn't see while growing up in my neighbourhood.
(The rest of us black kids were already kinda doing this thing with the R Kelly's 'Vibe' and Salt and Pepper 'oh baby baby' back in the 80's/90's days)
But I'm for it, the more different races embrace various kinds of dance rather than just sticking to a certain kind, the better

PS: This will probably go in the news thread btw...

Edit: then it's a merge, i guess?

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2010-05-28 at 08:33.
Old 2010-05-28, 16:57   Link #3
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

idk what you were watching but their dancing was on a Mature level. Not something little girls should dance like.
Old 2010-05-28, 17:04   Link #4
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
idk what you were watching but their dancing was on a Mature level. Not something little girls should dance like.
Yeah, I have to agree; I can't say I'd be terribly pleased to see my TEN yr old gyrating around like that... much less at a younger age hahah..

They're really talented, though, I'll give them that...

I kind of miss ballet hahah pity I had to drop out of it in my 3rd year....

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive

Last edited by cheyannew; 2010-05-28 at 17:33. Reason: edited because I can't refrain from typoing to save my lugh and rofl @ negrep
Old 2010-05-28, 17:30   Link #5
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

There are many progressive-libertarian folks out there that are OK with this (PedoBear included lol) however I wouldn't allow my daughter (if I had one of that age) to dress up n dance like that, sorry ... thats way ahead of her years imo.

So I must second Kyero's & cheyannew take. They are talented and energetic tho...
Old 2010-05-28, 17:46   Link #6
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

^
@ all - You're a bunch of boring so and sos xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyannew View Post
Yeah, I have to agree; I can't say I'd be terribly pleased to see my TEN yr old gyrating around like that... much less at a younger age hahah..

They're really talented, though, I'll give them that...

I kind of miss ballet hahah pity I had to drop out of it in my 3rd year....
It's dance, them having rehearsed, practiced and worked hard to get that dance together does not equal spreading their legs for a guys dick
(and I will be crude)
Performance is just that, you take on a role and perform for the moment, but outside of it, depending on how they were raised, they'll be normal girls, doing school stuff and having fun.
I already disapproved on their attire though, trying to parade sexuality that isn't there is pointless, even Beyonce had covered more of her body for this tune (amazingly) than the girls had.

But rather have the girls here continue to work and pour their enegies into dance seriously than be 'bored' and perform sexual favours and get up to mischief otherwise at such a young age.
People need to learn how to relax and shake your booty some more

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
Old 2010-05-28, 17:56   Link #7
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Sexualizing Youngling was never funny . More than the children themselves, Parents take the blame . For allowing such debauchery and forcing there dreams onto there children .

Kids should stay Kids eventually hormones are going to catch up . Until that time period its best not to steal there innocence .

Forced sexuality or accelerated mental growth . Will have long terms effect on the Kid's Psyche

Reminded of similar Article from some time back

Old 2010-05-28, 18:00   Link #8
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Are you basing that on their attire and make up or the dance itself Zu Ra?
This is what I want people to specify first before going off on one in here. What exactly are you seeing that makes you think 'uh...no... no thanks.'

If you're really gonna be nit picky, then allow me to drag up another aspect of American culture which i think does faaar more damage to little girls in a similar sense as you're all complaining about here than a bunch of kids putting hours and hours of dedication and energy into producing something amazing.

And I've read that article and agree with you on that aspect, but that's a girl releasing 'lingere' for a bunch of prebubecent human beings, with no real purpose other than to parade sexuality that isn't there.

ps:
Grammar Nazi is throwing a fit in me, sorry but it's 'their' (belonging) not 'there' as in 'here, there anywhere'

Old 2010-05-28, 18:01   Link #9
james0246

Honestly, I took the clothing as a joke, so I didn't really care one way or another (I don't think of 7 year olds as being sexual, so I did not see the clothing as being sexual (though I will acknowledge that the clothing was a little tasteless...there are far better 'skimpy' clothes that the little kids could have worn that would have been tailored right to match their skin tone (etc) and the perfmrance they were giving)) and ended up only focusing on the dance routine itself (which was pretty good for some little kids). Honestly, this video reminded me more of the 4-5 year old Asian boy that dances and grabs his 'firehose' like Michael Jackson than anything else...
Old 2010-05-28, 18:02   Link #10
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

It really astounds me that the adults who prepared this entire dance sequence, the choreography and the choice of songs can sit there with their thumbs up their asses and try to claim that the performance they prepared was completely non sexual. It's like when they examined the typical performances in other MTV productions with women dressed up like this, the sexuality of the dress code and the lyrics was completely lost on them.

I mean, I hardly think it's prudish to be a little bit dismayed by something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
It's dance, them having rehearsed, practiced and worked hard to get that dance together does not equal spreading their legs for a guys dick
(and I will be crude)
Performance is just that, you take on a role and perform for the moment, but outside of it, depending on how they were raised, they'll be normal girls, doing school stuff and having fun.
I already disapproved on their attire though, trying to parade sexuality that isn't there is pointless, even Beyonce had covered more of her body for this tune (amazingly) than the girls had.

But rather have the girls here continue to work and pour their enegies into dance seriously than be 'bored' and perform sexual favours and get up to mischief otherwise at such a young age.
People need to learn how to relax and shake your booty some more
I don't particularly think this is going to mentally scar these girls for life.

I'm more wondering what the thought process was of the adults who decided to organize this was. There are allot of different things that they could have had these girls do, but for some reason the adults decided to slap them in hot pants, a mini top, boots and have them shake it to a song about men and women being desirous of each other.

edit:Feel particularly proud that I got neg rep for this post despite nobody being willing to actually contest any of my points.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2010-05-31 at 09:54.
Old 2010-05-28, 18:05   Link #11
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
What exactly are you seeing that makes you think 'uh...no... no thanks.'
Just about Everything . Or am I misinterpreting the Celebration of Womanhood through the sound of Single Ladies .

You tell me
Old 2010-05-28, 18:06   Link #12
Nosauz

Lol what? If your don't like the hyper sexualization of children you really have to blame corporations, their ads and their demographics have gradually skewed younger and in attempts to prepare the youth of this generation and the next into becoming good consumers you will have hypersexualization. This trend is not good, but it's all about the market share, and product awareness that creates these types of things. Just look at Bratz and pretty much all the Matel branded toys, those dolls dress even more skimpy compared to the girls on stage and their marketed to children as "role" models. I mean if I was a parent I would never let my children do that but if other people want their children to that's their choice, and if you don't think they have the right to do that then parents sure as hell don't have the right to sell their children as sex symbols to disney and the like.
Old 2010-05-28, 18:17   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, their parents are the audience. The girls are showing some amazing dance skills and I bet if you track back from most professional dancers, they were in these kinds of competitions. Choice of clothing might be considered questionable in some areas but then they're just emulating what cheerleaders and professional dancers wear. Personally, I don't think the outfits were terribly flattering to the girls - we had a similar problem with flag guard at my son's marching band a few years ago... the outfits exposed a lot of skin and just weren't flattering (especially for those with no waistline). Group vote nixed them (and the girls were relieved). Some of the more puritan responses from parents had my eyes rolling but we all agreed they just weren't flattering and distracted from the flag handling (big chance of wardrobe malfunction).

But "think of the children" "burn the witches" and all that, you know....
Old 2010-05-28, 18:19   Link #14
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
Just about Everything . Or am I misinterpreting the Celebration of Womanhood through the sound of Single Ladies .

You tell me
Specify on 'Celebration of Womanhood' for me.
Personally the lyrics on the tune are nothing but to sing about superficially, dance with the beat and mimic dance and have fun.
I doubt many kids will dig into the meaning and use it in the way adults will either, they'd probably go 'I just like the tune', I sure as hell didn't think much about the lyrics of Madonna's 'like a Virgin', or Salt and Peppers 'let's talk about sex' or 'push it', save to giggle, sing and dance with it.

The Spice girls of the 90's, what I grew up on tried their own brand of 'girl power' messages.
I heard their lyrics, we sang them, we did the dances and then forgot about it.
Granted in the 90's, people were wearing a lot more but yeah, that's a marketing issue. I'm seeing Japanese kids wearing short ass skirts with coloured tights and semi small tops.
A lot of the high school kids skirts are waaay too short and they can't wear tights for modesty, but it doesn't necessarily mean that all the girls are parading their bodies or being forced to be 'sexualised' before they're ready.

Times change and if the range of clothing out there has turned skimpier in our eyes, most parents will buy the 'average style' and kids won't think much of it cause most others are wearing the same thing.

For specific things like lingerie and pushing products to 'become sexy', is wrong, it's then trying to begin to consciously twist their mindsets into something they think they 'need' to do or be in life.

For this national dance competition, attire aside, there isn't anything wrong with their performance itself.

edit:
Hmm, Xris is in the thread, wonder what will become of it now? xD

Old 2010-05-28, 18:22   Link #15
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Quote:
^
@ all - You're a bunch of boring so and sos xD
*Sigh* .... if having an opinion that little girls shouldn't be emulating material which was without question originally created to be expressly sexualized, then yeah, I am a "boring so and so"...

Quote:
(and I will be crude)
Saying that their dance/attire is inappropriate for their age does not imply they are looking to "spread their legs for a guys dick" I don't believe any of us have made that assertion and honestly I don't see how anyone could make such crude connection. Furthermore, I would refrain from using such language in a forum where not everyone is over the age of 18, but that is just the boring me talking

In addition, saying that some material is expressly sexualized does not infer that someone will incur in lewd acts solely by the fact that they witnessed the material in question, in this case it only means that it is inappropriate to accentuate such body-language on girls who obviously have yet to develop their own traits.

Quote:
You already agree with 50% of our opinion as far as the atire but I guess the other 50% is what makes us radically boring right?

Quote:
I would seriously doubt that a "bored 7-8yo" would go out and perform "sexual favors" on their own initiative, so I think this illustration is rather out of place.

I will agree tho that "People need to learn how to relax and shake their booty some more" however I believe that there is a time and place for everything.

Last edited by CuXe; 2010-05-28 at 18:36.
Old 2010-05-28, 18:25   Link #16
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Pedophiles all over the world just came well done girls. Btw better check your closets for pedobear might be hiding in their he already knows your flexible. Introducing you to the next pussy cat dolls ¬¬ *extreme sarcasm for anyone who cannot tell*

Girls under the age of 13 should not be dancing like that or dressing like that, scratch that even for girls that are 13-16 it is extremely controversial whether they should ever dress up like that. While I agree they are talented they are less than 10 and that dance is way over sexualized for someone of their age group, it is something you would find mature/sexy if it was older girls therefore little girls should not be doing it. The parents are obviously retarded.
Old 2010-05-28, 18:26   Link #17
Pocky Yoshi
Disabled By Request

My humble short analysis. The girls can dance.
Their attire......well.....not that slightly surprised.
I cringed a bit seeing them in it, because I was brought up to good standards.
However, the crowd was cheering of how amazing they are.
And surprisingly, so would I. It's entertainment.
Never saw ballet and booty shaking in one dance.
They will be famous if they keep going in this direction.
And I didn't find it sexy. I found it silly and cute.
Old 2010-05-28, 18:29   Link #18
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub-Sama View Post
Pedophiles all over the world just came well done girls. Btw better check your closets for pedobear might be hiding in their he already knows your flexible. Introducing you to the next pussy cat dolls ¬¬

Girls under the age of 13 should not be dancing like that or dressing like that, scratch that even for girls that are 13-16 it is extremely controversial whether they should ever dress up like that. While I agree they are talented they are less than 10 and that dance is way over sexualized for someone of their age group, it is something you would find mature/sexy if it was older girls therefore little girls should not be doing it. The parents are obviously retarded.
you know what? women shouldn't be sexualized too. Because it's degrading and is an assertion of male chauvinism. The outrage shouldn't be about the age it really should be the viewing of women as objects, if there is any outrage to be had. I mean if the parents had forced their children to do this yea you might have a point but considering it took months of training I could infer that the participants were at least willing to do it.
Old 2010-05-28, 18:32   Link #19
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
you know what? women shouldn't be sexualized too. Because it's degrading and is an assertion of male chauvinism. The outrage shouldn't be about the age it really should be the viewing of women as objects, if there is any outrage to be had. I mean if the parents had forced their children to do this yea you might have a point but considering it took months of training I could infer that the participants were at least willing to do it.
They were probably willing to do it because they thought it was cool and they saw stuff like that on TV. Doesn't change the fact that the dances like that are mostly used to express sexuality or get appease to the average straight man's libido, therefore little girls should not be doing it no matter how willing they are and the parents should no that.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Old 2010-05-28, 18:38   Link #20
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub-Sama View Post
They were probably willing to do it because they thought it was cool and they saw stuff like that on TV. Doesn't change the fact that the dances like that are mostly used to express sexuality or get appease to the average straight man's libido, therefore little girls should not be doing it no matter how willing they are and the parents should no that.
You seem mighty sure that you know what everyone is thinking and seem to confuse your opinion/judgment for facts .....