Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-12, 06:01   Link #1281
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
I remember Vexx mentioning something earlier on bout the Tsukiji fish market closing down and i was kinda saddened to hear it, but checking out BBC today, it seems it was merely closed to foriegners due to unruly behaviour and now they're opening it back up on very restricted terms.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7822753.stm

At least, they're trying to forgive us somewhat for the minority of idiots that always ruin it for the majority.
Quote:
Some tourists had been caught hugging, licking and even riding the huge frozen tuna that are Tsukiji's most arresting sight, an official said.

OMG! WTH! Something wrong with these ppl! I can not comprehend these actions at all.
Old 2009-01-12, 11:55   Link #1282
Pendevous
Yoroshiku
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Pendevous
4 year old shoots at his baby sitter
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_30708.aspx
Quote:
Just when you thought you'd heard everything comes an incident that shows our violent society can reach new lows you may not have expected.
Police in Jackson, Ohio a small town near Columbus, are trying to figure out what to do with a 4-year-old boy accused of shooting his babysitter.
The child apparently became incensed on Sunday when 18-year-old Nathan Beavers, who was looking after him, accidentally stepped on his foot. Cops say the enraged youngster ran to a nearby closet, grabbed a gun that was stored inside of it, and fired it at his temporary guardian.
The victim suffered wounds to his arm and side and was treated in hospital, but his injuries were thankfully minor. Another teen was also slightly hurt.
Beavers was watching the child at the mobile home of the boy's grandmother when the incident occurred. Several other teens and a few additional kids were also present.
Authorities have revealed that when the babysitter stepped on his foot, the child boldly announced he was going to go get a gun. Everyone figured he would come back with a toy.
Instead, he found the real thing, even retrieving a shell from a drawer and loading the weapon as he marched back into the room where the others were gathered.
The child is now in the custody of his parents. His father claims his son had seen others shoot a gun before, but he had no idea that the youngster knew how to load and fire the weapon. He maintains the little boy simply thought it was a toy and calls the incident an "accident."
Cops are now investigating, but agree the alleged culprit may be too young to be charged. His father has arranged from his son to receive counselling instead.
Old 2009-01-12, 14:55   Link #1283
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

The kid might be too young to be charged, but the father should take some responsibility.
The gun was not locked and accesible to his kid. It's not a criminal offence but...
Old 2009-01-12, 15:38   Link #1284
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

He was at his grandmother's.
Old 2009-01-12, 17:47   Link #1285
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually, I'm thinking the kid *is* most at issue here and definitely needs counseling if "I'm going to shoot you" is what he actually said...
Old 2009-01-12, 22:18   Link #1286
Shadow Kira01

The kid is primarily the issue, but at the same time.. People cannot ignore the possibility of how the babysitter's treatment of the 4 year old, because these kind of cases are quite common, not that a 4 year old would actually attack an 18-year old. However, there had been many cases in which babysitters beat up the kids they are looking after due to their behaviors, whether it be stubborness or just too noisy.

First of all, why is the gun unlocked and why is it located at a place where children have access to it? The owner of the gun should be held responsible for the incident and an investigation of the incident should also be followed to answer the question: "Why did a 4 year old shot an 18 year old?". Does the little child have some mental-related issues? Or is it that the 18 year old had done something wrong that nobody knows?
Old 2009-01-13, 00:05   Link #1287
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Uhh, when someone steps on your feet, the first thing most wouldn't be thinking is
'I'm gonna literally shoot you. I am going to attempt to take your life, pull the trigger and murder you.'
Let alone, go all out to loading the gun, taking the safety off and shooting, are you kidding me?
In cases where babysitters are abusing kids, they get the law book thrown so damn hard at them, they'd be screwing themselves over for life. In fact there are cases where parents are doing the abusing and report that it's the babysitters, if they happen to figure out why the child is scared or not emotionally well.

In this case, I fear for the kid, he's already crossed the line of trying to take someone's life, he's not bound by moral fear. He turns 8, 9 or 10, gets angry again or gets into some school arguement and remembers this incident, despite the councelling he'll have, he'll know how easy it is just to pull the trigger to make them go away.

That's what would scare me the most.
Held responsible?
"Right to bear arms" - Yeah, i don't see that law changing anytime soon. -.-
It's as legal as having a knife in the kitchen and the child decided to go stabbing-happy instead of trigger happy in America.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2009-01-13, 00:05   Link #1288
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Obese Americans now outnumber the merely overweight

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...50863H20090109

Quote:
The number of obese American adults outweighs the number of those who are merely overweight, according to the latest statistics from the federal government. Numbers posted by the National Center for Health Statistics show that more than 34 percent of Americans are obese, compared to 32.7 percent who are overweight. It said just under 6 percent are "extremely" obese.
"More than one-third of adults, or over 72 million people, were obese in 2005-2006, the NCHS said in its report.
The numbers are based on a survey of 4,356 adults over the age of 20 who take part in a regular government survey of health, said the NCHS, which is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The figures come from the 2005-2006 survey and are the most current available.
In the interest of full disclosure, I'm 6' (182 cm) and 220lbs (100 kg) with a BMI of 29.8. Even allowing for the extra musculature from my activities - I have at least 20 pounds and preferably 30 pounds to lose. The report doesn't even address those under 18 --- where an unmitigated medical disaster is brewing.
Old 2009-01-13, 00:10   Link #1289
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

@Vexx: Here's to you losing some of that weight.
Old 2009-01-13, 00:13   Link #1290
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

34 = obese
32.7 are overweight, meaning

66.7% of America are eating too much and are unhealthy for their bodies? O.o
Doesn't that make it 2/3 of the country? (the odd 320 million of you all)
(Wait, i didn't add that 6% who where extremely obsese)

Probably well over 100 million people in America alone...well land of opportunity and all...
It is a truly tragic case though...
I heard from a friend Vexx that recently on a TV report, they were talking about the PC of calling people 'fat' or 'obese' cause it's insensitive and are trying to make up 'official' terms for this. Are doctors and dietians still at risk of being sued if they are more or less frank with their patients?

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
Old 2009-01-13, 00:24   Link #1291
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I prefer the doctors that will tell you:
1) If you don't stop smoking, the odds are you'll die a painful death gasping for air that won't come.
2) You're obese. If you don't lose weight, its likely you'll become diabetic. Death from diabetic complications sounds simple... but it involves necrosis, gangrene, organ failure, blindness, etc. Its also likely you'll simultaneously have heart failure even if you don't have a massive coronary that won't quite kill you.

Soooooooo, having that super-sized are you? .....

Yeah, there's the "oooh we're hurting their feelings" touchy-feely crowd.... but doctors and dieticians aren't really at risk of being sued. Its more that they just consider you "already gruel for the vultures" so they don't bother telling you what you should already know.

This is both an individual and a societal failure. Eliminating PE in K-12, massive marketing of processed "foods", corn syrup in damned everything whether it needed it or not, super-sized meal combos, restaurant servings that would feed 4 people, designing cities which discourage walking...

Wall-E was, in fact, not mean enough in its portrayal of hoomans of the future and omfg if we do socialize our healthcare, it will HAVE to come with mandated preventative care and preventative lifestyle changes or the system will toast itself.
Old 2009-01-15, 03:56   Link #1292
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Obama's 'Beast' of a car revealed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7829475.stm

The most amusing thing about the article is the manufacturer's remark:

Quote:
"One of the specifications is that we don't talk about the specifications"
Every president gets a limo with the latest defensive and electronic technologies. I'm almost surprised there aren't "offensive" technologies as well.
Old 2009-01-15, 08:02   Link #1293
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

Every president gets a limo with the latest defensive and electronic technologies. I'm almost surprised there aren't "offensive" technologies as well.
Quote:
Observers say the car is likely to include bullet proof glass, an armoured body, a separate oxygen supply, and a completely sealed interior to protect against a chemical attack.

Some joke the car is so tough it could withstand a rocket-propelled grenade
xD
This should be a 'funny news post' - i couldn't help but laugh about the line sentence i quoted, bet someone would be tempted to see just how much damage that "car" can take

Old 2009-01-15, 08:12   Link #1294
RAVNEN

Send a message via Yahoo to RAVNEN
Quote:

Wow,nice car,hopefully it has Super Escape mode. Somehow the name & color remind me of Beast from Team Knight Rider.They make joke about the car can withstand RPG attack,try minigun or MATADOR system.Mythbuster team need to check this myth,look plausible to me.
Old 2009-01-15, 08:38   Link #1295
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
So how does the thing stands up aganist the Tumbler ?
Old 2009-01-15, 16:18   Link #1296
solomon

Breaking: US Airline Crashes in Hudson River in NYC

Article

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...dson-river/?hp

Rolling Info:

http://wcbstv.com/
http://www.1010wins.com/
www.cnn.com
Old 2009-01-15, 17:02   Link #1297
WONDERMIKE
kanpai!

Send a message via ICQ to WONDERMIKE
it's amazing how lucky one can be, usually a plane doesn't stay intact after such a manoeuvre because you have to dive in perfectly, both engines simultaneously to avoid the plane from taking a turn and resulting in breaking in half
Old 2009-01-15, 17:32   Link #1298
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
This is both an individual and a societal failure. Eliminating PE in K-12, massive marketing of processed "foods", corn syrup in damned everything whether it needed it or not, super-sized meal combos, restaurant servings that would feed 4 people, designing cities which discourage walking...
PE (physical education) class in itself isn't very useful. There was a rather interesting study performed in Britain where children's physical activity was monitored (I believe based on overall movement). I'm not sure what device was used to measure activity, but it was something that was on the children all day. The results were quite fascinating, actually. It was found that an individual child's activity was the same from day to day - that is, they performed the same amount of physical activity on a day when they did not have PE class as when they did have PE class. The amount of activity per child varied such that some were more active than others, but each individual experienced very little variation between days.

This was an interesting finding and would be quite useful to know. A few years ago California was considering extending the length and frequency of PE classes as a means to combat obesity (and they might still be considering that). If the British finding is applicable to all, then extending PE would be ineffective and a waste of time. Rather, it is argued that what would be useful would be to provide people with recreational areas. New York City has Central Park (which is always packed with joggers and cyclists) and a few other assorted walking paths and parks; based on my five years living there, Los Angeles doesn't really have much, by comparison. There's nothing accessible without a car in seemingly the vast majority of communities.

PE class is still valuable in teaching children a number of potential sports and allowing them to try them out (although to be honest, I always hated PE and the sport that I eventually picked up was not taught in my PE classes). Setting up parks isn't automatically going to get children outside and physically active, either. It's just one part of the solution.
Old 2009-01-15, 17:54   Link #1299
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Two hours of PE a week (what we have here) don't look like it'd do much. Especially if you sit most of it out somehow... <_<

However, I find it hard to believe that one hour of PE a day wouldn't yield some results.
Old 2009-01-15, 19:23   Link #1300
RDF2050
Superidol

Airplane Crash in Hudson River, Pilot Skills saved Everyone

New York
01/15/2009

A US Airways jetliner with 150 passengers and 5 crew members plunged into the icy Hudson River on Thursday afternoon less than five minutes after taking off from LaGuardia Airport. A spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration said everyone on board escaped safely.

Moments after the plane, a twin jet Airbus A320 #1549 bound for Charlotte, North Caroline crash in the Hudson river at 3:30 PM EST in New York City. The Airplane crash aproximated crash close to West 42 Street and New Jersey. Base on the investigation of F.A.A. (Federal Aviation Administration) the airplane may have crash due to a some birds have been sucked into the jet engines; however, this situation are highly rare to happen.
The company responsible of the airplane's engine manufactures explain there isn't problem with the airplane ages and anything relate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was around there when that happen, thanks god everyone was saved. The pilot must get a honor for this.

Sources

I have a question do I am allow to put links about news or to written down myself?

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international