AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2009-04-03, 08:59   Link #41
janfive

I agree with DJLowrider's opinion that a song don't need to be 10 years old or more to be considered memorable, if not the "greatest of all time". A memorable song or should I say one that can be considered as one of the greatest of all time can be called as such even though it's been out very recently. It would be what some would like to call "instant classics". They receive near unanimous praise from music critics and the listening public. The consensus is that they most probably would stand the test of time. An example would be Coldplay's Viva La Vida and M.I.A.'s Paper Planes, two songs from last year that will have a long shelf life based on recurrent airplay and radio playlists.Another example, OutKast's Hey Ya!, Eminem's Lose Yourself and Stan made it in the Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time despite being less than 10 years old. Also, the number of anime songs produced during the early 90's and downwards are not that many compared to the music after that. In my honest opinion it is during the new millennium that some of the most memorable OPs and EDs were introduced.
janfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 10:04   Link #42
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
As far as music goes, to me something's memorable if it makes such an impression in my mind that I simply can't forget about it. Typically that kind of impression is a good one, though they can be not so good as well. Take, for example, Lucky Star's OP, "Motteke! Sailor Fuku". Even now hearing the song is pretty jarring to me at times simply because it's so high energy so it's hard for me to say that I really like it that much, but it's quite memorable nonetheless.
Well, I guess that's where our difference in opinion comes from. My definition of memorable in terms of music doesn't mean that it stay in my memory as an individual (those are just my likings and disliking), but that stays in people's memory, thinking of people in terms of a culture that transcends generations. As such, for me a culture's memory is something that can also be properly evaluated from the perspective of time. One cannot assert the impact of a music song if one's part of the impact boom, it can only be objective seen in retrospective how big that impact was in terms of the time, culture, the people, etc.

Quote:
In my honest opinion it is during the new millennium that some of the most memorable OPs and EDs were introduced.
As I said, that is part because we are still part of the 2000's impact boom. As such, it is really difficult to objectively evaluate how big of an impact this songs are culturally making when we are still part of that culture, in that time. We are able to judge past pieces in a more fair assessment precisely because they have already passed the test of time. (For example, the people of the 90's might have discussed to death which was their favorite anime piece. However, as people who are already exiting the 2000's,even if there's disagreement whether it's the best, I think there would be no big discussion in that the most memorable and widely known (even outside of the otaku community) anime piece of the 90's is A cruel Angel Thesis.) Is there a single group of pieces from the 2000 that the community can precisely mark as those who will survive the test of time, and remain in people's memory for generations to come?

I mean, it would not be the first time for songs that were critically acclaimed in their time to be utterly forgotten later, and pieces who were promptly dismissed as run of the mill to receive universal appraisal in the forecoming generations. The first example would be Bach's Brandenburg's concerto's, which were writen for a contest as the director of a orchestra in Brandenburg. Bach works didn't made an impression in his time, he didn't even rank in that contest. However the Brandenburg concerto's are now one of the most widely performed works for violin enssembles. And no one remembers the people who won in that contest whatsoever.

Last edited by Proto; 2009-04-03 at 10:42.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 10:04   Link #43
KimmyChan

19-sai by Suga Shikao - xXxHolic opening theme -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXDoJxAdwjQ
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 10:24   Link #44
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

If I had to point to a single anime that really began pushing the music used for series to the forefront, it would be the Bubblegum Crisis OVAs of the late 1980's. Before that series came about, much of the OP and ED music you find in anime has more in common with traditional Japanese music (a.k.a. enka) than with anything that was actually popular at the time. Not to mention it's largely boring to listen to on its own. BGC's music really opened the door in more ways than one.

Really, though, if you look back on anime music as a whole, things didn't start getting better (nevermind memorable) until the mid-1990's. Many of the series we hold now as classics from that decade are the ones that provided us with the most memorable OPs, EDs and insert songs that we today might consider among the "greatest of all time". Consequently, this is why originally I said I understood why people might want to put an age minimum on songs that get nominated as being the greatest. These are series and songs that got many people into anime in the first place, after all. It's natural there would be some amount of leaning towards them.

However, take a moment and consider how far that would restrict things here. If we're saying a song needs to be at least 10 years old, then we're talking about anime that aired no more recently than 1999. Taking as a given, as I said earlier, that anime music prior to the early 90's was largely forgettable, you're talking about restricting our music selection for the greatest anime songs of all time to not much more than a single decade's worth of series to select from. That's not only unfair to the many memorable songs and series of this decade, it's far too narrow-minded.

Age has little, if anything, to do with the quality of a given song. Like janfive said, there are such things as instant classics. Good, memorable music should be recognized on its merits, not something arbitrary such as how long it's been around.
DJLowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 10:43   Link #45
Proto

Quote:
Age has little, if anything, to do with the quality of a given song. Like janfive said, there are such things as instant classics. Good, memorable music should be recognized on its merits, not something arbitrary such as how long it's been around.
I edited my post, reposting

Quote:
I mean, it would not be the first time for songs that were critically acclaimed in their time to be utterly forgotten later, and pieces who were promptly dismissed as run of the mill to receive universal appraisal in the forecoming generations. The first example would be Bach's Brandenburg's concerto's, which were writen for a contest as the director of a orchestra in Brandenburg. Bach works didn't made an impression in his time, he didn't even rank in that contest. However the Brandenburg concerto's are now one of the most widely performed works for string ensembles. And no one remembers the people who won in that contest whatsoever.
The same with many works that were only given their right stature years later after the author's death. Bach himself, Chopin to a level, Wagner outside of his niche group of followers. On the other hand, few people will remember the works from the myriad of widely loved in their time, but otherwise run of the mill authors from the baroque era outside of Bach, the Scarlatti father and son, Corelli, Verdi, and give or take 20 more.

Quote:
However, take a moment and consider how far that would restrict things here. If we're saying a song needs to be at least 10 years old, then we're talking about anime that aired no more recently than 1999. Taking as a given, as I said earlier, that anime music prior to the early 90's was largely forgettable, you're talking about restricting our music selection for the greatest anime songs of all time to not much more than a single decade's worth of series to select from. That's not only unfair to the many memorable songs and series of this decade, it's far too narrow-minded.
If you ask me to select between being too narrow minded and restricted in what I can choose, yet my selections being precise and more substantial, or being too broad minded and including a whole new range of music, yet my selections not going beyond my likings, dislikings, and those of my contemporaries, instead of being able to objectively analyse my selections, then I prefer the former. The turn will arrive for the music of the 2000's after all. Waiting for the 2020 is not much to ask. If they are truly memorable they will hold till then.
Old 2009-04-03, 12:28   Link #46
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
The turn will arrive for the music of the 2000's after all. Waiting for the 2020 is not much to ask. If they are truly memorable they will hold till then.
I'm sorry, but in my personal opinion that's nonsense. That's like the Grammys telling a current musical artist that their work may be good and all, but they can't be nominated for an award for 10 years to make sure their work is actually good enough to have persisted that long. If a piece of music is truly good, and people widely recognize it as such, then why must it ensure some bogus "test of time" in order to be recognized? If we're going to really make a list of great anime music it should be inclusive and not exclusive. People don't wait 10 years to add to or change their personal top anime series or TV series or movies or what have you, after all. I see this as being not all that different.

Still, regardless of my personal opinion I'm willing to compromise to an extent here for the sake of wanting to be able to assist further in this endeavor. At the very least you have to admit that 10 years is a ridiculously long period of time to put as a minimum age for a song to be considered here. I would think something more like 3 years would be much more acceptable. 3 years is long enough for most series to have completed their run and have been removed from being actively discussed and along with them their respective songs. If a given anime song persists after 3 years I'd call that plenty memorable enough to qualify.
Old 2009-04-03, 12:42   Link #47
Proto

Quote:
I'm sorry, but in my personal opinion that's nonsense. That's like the Grammys telling a current musical artist that their work may be good and all, but they can't be nominated for an award for 10 years to make sure their work is actually good enough to have persisted that long. If a piece of music is truly good, and people widely recognize it as such, then why must it ensure some bogus "test of time" in order to be recognized? If we're going to really make a list of great anime music it should be inclusive and not exclusive. People don't wait 10 years to add to or change their personal top anime series or TV series or movies or what have you, after all. I see this as being not all that different.
Why are you mentioning the Grammy's? Their scope is totally different than we are trying to do here. The Grammy's don't really reward songs in terms of how memorable they are, but they follow a totally different set of parameters when awarding one of these prizes.

The same with personal Top 10 lists, even I don't wait 10 years, let alone 1 week. I recently added CLANNAD AS as one of my Top 3, and that is a series that just finished last week.

Which is completely different from the scope of this particular thread, or at least from what I understand. For something to be considered the greatest and of all time, it has to follow a minimum set of guidelines, lest it becomes a naming game where everyone cites, precisely, their top 10.

About the 3-10 years thing, well I have to accept that even that is kindof subjective. I tried to attach it to the time one generation of students take to enter and exit secondary and tertiary education, but even that is an arbitrary threshold. I don't know whether 3 years is long enough, but I guess we can compromise.
Old 2009-04-03, 13:06   Link #48
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

I think for now what we should do is get back to the proper business of this thread. We've derailed this far too much.

A few more recommendations:

Give A Reason - OP from Slayers Next
Ordinary Sunday - OP from Boys Over Flowers
Angel Voice - song from Macross Dynamite 7
Old 2009-04-03, 13:24   Link #49
wmmarioblogs

thank you
-----------
Seo Tips
wmmarioblogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 23:00   Link #50
wOoOzZy
Master Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by janfive View Post
An example would be Coldplay's Viva La Vida and M.I.A.'s Paper Planes, two songs from last year that will have a long shelf life based on recurrent airplay and radio playlists.
I have nothing against Cold Play but I hope Paper Planes finds it's way off the shelves sooner rather than later.

Quote:
Another example, OutKast's Hey Ya!, Eminem's Lose Yourself and Stan made it in the Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time despite being less than 10 years old.
Not sure what RS was smoking when they made that list. "Hey Ya!" was one of the weaker songs on The Love Below (great album) and I don't know anybody that has ever played "Lose Yourself" after 8-Mile stopped showing. And "Stan" was a great concept for a song but I don't think that a song where the chorus is sampled from another artists song should qualify.

Was it greatest songs of all time or greatest singles?
wOoOzZy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 02:09   Link #51
Vital Regions

After skimming the debate, I have two answers.

Culturally important and unlikely to be forgotten:
Cowboy Bebop's OP Tank! by Yoko Kanno, performed by the Seatbelts.

Personal favorite that will probably always rank high with me:
D. Gray-man's 3rd OP Doubt and Trust by Access
Vital Regions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 09:28   Link #52
janfive

A comment was made that a song should be at least 10 years old before it is inducted since it is uncertain whether its popularity will survive with the passage of time. Good point since, kinda like J-Pop, some anime songs have a short shelf life - they're instantly catchy but rarely stick with you after the anime ended. On the other hand, it kinda defeats the "greatest of ALL TIME" theme of this thread if recent songs should be denied consideration. This thread was put up for the new fans of anime music. What better way to let them get acquainted to anime music than to give them a mix of the greatest of the new and the old anime songs. When the time comes when I'll rank the 1,000 greatest songs of all time (probably after the 100th week) I'll rank them according to their current relevance. Maybe if I'm fortunate enough to rank them again 10 years from now their ranks from the last list would most certainly be different. That's what polls and lists do, they rank importance on that point in time when they were conducted. I don't view them as definitive or set in stone but I see them as a good guide on music appreciation.

Here are my inductions into the Hall of Fame for Week 3:

"Akatsuki no Kuruma" by FictionJunction YUUKA
Kidou Senshi Gundam SEED (TV) Insert Song (episode 40) [2003]

suggested by patnam
Spoiler:

"Soramimi Cake" by Oranges & Lemons
Azumanga Daioh (TV) Opening Theme [2002]

suggested by KawaiiKimmy & DJLowrider
Spoiler:

"Sorairo Days" by Shoko Nakagawa
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (TV) Opening Theme [2007]

suggested by christinemarie
Spoiler:

"Sakura Saku" by Megumi Hayashibara
Love Hina (TV) Opening Theme [2000]

suggested by christinemarie
Spoiler:

"Kimi wo Nosete" by Azumi Inoue
Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa (movie) Ending Theme [1986]

suggested by ddwkc
Spoiler:

"Grip!" by Every Little Thing
Inu Yasha (TV) Opening Theme #4 (episodes 96-127) [2003]

suggested by wOoOzZy
Spoiler:

"TOUCH" by Yoshimi Iwasaki
Touch (TV) Opening Theme #1 (episodes 1-27) [1985]

suggested by -Kh-
Spoiler:

"Doraemon no Uta" by Sakoto Yamano
Doraemon (TV) Opening Theme [1973]

suggested by Jan-Poo
Spoiler:

"Open Your Mind ~Chiisana Hane Hirogete~" by Yoko Ishida
Aa Megami-sama (TV) Opening Theme [2005]

suggested by KawaiiKimmy & NerdyOtaku
Spoiler:

"THEME FROM LUPIN III" by Peatmac Junior
Rupan Sansei: Part II (TV) Opening Theme #2 (episodes 27-51) [1978]

suggested by Tri-ring
Spoiler:

Last edited by janfive; 2010-07-03 at 10:01.
janfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 09:49   Link #53
jerkette
Sore Ga, Ai Deshou! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by janfive View Post
2nd half:

"sore ga ai deshou"
by shimokawa mikuni
full metal panic? Fumoffu (tv)
"among my top 50 anime theme favorites of all time" - christinemarie

yasashisa ha tokidoki zankoku dakara
motomeru hodo kotae wo miushinau
ameagari no machi niji ga mieru nara
ima arukidasou nani ka ga hajimaru

kimi ga iru kara asu ga aru kara
hitorikiri ja ikite yukenai kara
konna ni chikaku ni kanjiru sore ga ai deshou
namida no kazu no itami wo kimi ha shitteru kara
sukitooru sono me no naka ni tashika na imi wo sagashite
egao mitsuketai

my absolute favorite!!!:d

"Not everything is as it seems."
jerkette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 19:17   Link #54
Scarlett_Rain55

Uninstall. Who doesn't know that song?

That Rurouni Kenshin one the OP created was horrible and screechy!
Scarlett_Rain55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 17:23   Link #55
maka'albarn
Scythe Meister

Here are some of my favorites.

Papermoon. By Tommy Heavenly6; 2nd opening for Soul Eater.
"I've always loved this song; the lyrics are awesome and are kinda pretty in a way."

Style. By Kana Nishino; 2nd ending for Soul Eater.
"This song is just too cute! ^o^"

Tori no Uta. By Lia; opening for AIR.
"Even time I hear this one it kinda making me teary, as this anime was the only one that really put me in tears. But it is such a pretty song."

Let Me Be With You. By ROUND TABLE featuring Nino; opening for Chobits.
"One word. Kawaii! ^-^"

Kaidoku Funou. By Jinn; 2nd opening for Code Geass.
"I adore this song! Code Geass has always been a huge love of mine and when I heard the song it made it bigger. It very up beat and makes you exctied."

maka'albarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 23:08   Link #56
christinemarie
Crazy One

I already suggested 20 out of my top 50 favorites for the past two weeks. Here's another 2 of my suggestions for this week. There's a new entry in my top 50 favorites which is just this year's new anime music to be added in my list. *although that new entry can't be suggested right now since Sony Company removed the video samples*

ending theme 4 of Yu Yu Hakusho by the late Hiro Takahashi "Taiyō ga Mata Kagayaku Toki" 1992
Spoiler for Open to view:

opening theme of Myself;Yourself by KAORI "Tears Infection" 2007
Spoiler for Open to view:

Last edited by christinemarie; 2009-05-05 at 15:35. Reason: to make it easy to view for anyone
christinemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 23:36   Link #57
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Libera me from hell it's the greatest without a doubt.

Others i like:
Sanctuary from Earth girl arjuna BGM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYR_LNgMUmc
Rewrite from FMA OP 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laWzZlJAR1k
Shiki no uta - Samurai Champloo ED http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8REhEEnEheY
Shu Aka - Cyber team in akihabara BGM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4zZUJMzJP4
Will - Houshin Engi (Soul Hunter) OP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPGx0p0Ndfo
Konna ni chikaku de - Nodame Cantabile first season ED 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-bHQKpOWmk

And that's all.
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 00:28   Link #58
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

What Love Taught Me - Blue Gender ED
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 02:09   Link #59
enragedjacquescouste

I definitely have a few:
Good Luck~Towa Yori Ai Wo Komete~ (Urusei Yatsura ED9)
http://www.youtube.com/v/48AeeV42LCk&hl=en&fs=1

Kagayakeru Hoshi (Ninpenmaru ED)
http://www.youtube.com/v/5HodjU5-E1I&hl=en&fs=1

Katteni Shinryakushya (Keroro Gunsou ED)
http://www.youtube.com/v/ihQDr0wos7E&hl=en&fs=1

Kirameku Toki ni Torawarete (Slam Dunk ED)
http://www.youtube.com/v/8EvrNPQgWlg&hl=en&fs=1

Truth (Revolutionary Girl Utena ED)
http://www.youtube.com/v/UIzu91cdbUQ&hl=en&fs=1

Last Alliance (Ouran High School Host Club ED)
http://www.youtube.com/v/SyRbZlJ6OXY&hl=en&fs=1

Honou No Takaramono (Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro Opening)
http://www.youtube.com/v/otNNuUhl1uo&hl=en&fs=1

sorry, i don't know how to embed the videos
enragedjacquescouste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 03:13   Link #60
Blaat

I suggest Tsuki no Mayu Turn A Gundam 2nd ending song and Uchuu Senkan Yamato opening song (which is certainly a classic)
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote