Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-12-25, 17:41   Link #1041
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
If Kurumi isn't obssessive and only in love then Jeebus H Christ I'd hate to find a completely obssessed one to the point of clear cut depravity.
There's certainly room for her to be a lot worse than she is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
but I don't understand why some people are trying to defend her current actions and approach to Kazehaya. They're pretty clear-cut, imo.
It's more about trying to understand her actions and the drive that fuels them.

I do not like her tactics and certainly hope that she gets exposed eventually, at the same time however, I do feel there's more to her than simply being the villian of the story.

Or perhaps I should say that I truly hope there's more to her than just that.
Old 2009-12-25, 20:25   Link #1042
tsukimoto

Is Kurumi appearing at Kazehaya's window every night?

No.

Is Kurumi calling Kazehaya like how Miyako left messages for Hiro in ef?

No.

Carving his name into her arm?
Becoming delusional and thinking she's already Kazehaya's girlfriend?
Refusing to acknowledge that there are other girls Kazehaya can like?

No, no, and no.

Kurumi is being a typical middle school girl who isn't getting the guy she wants. When people can't get what they want, they tend to try different methods to achieve their goals. Sure people are getting hurt and mixed up with their feelings from the things Kurumi intentionally do, but are they killing themselves over it? Is anyone hallucinating or falling into bouts of depression? Minor depression maybe, but really, whose life is perfect and hasn't gone through any period of time of sadness and misery?

So until Kurumi starts acting like an ef girl, please don't label her with major psychological disorders.
Old 2009-12-25, 22:22   Link #1043
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
The fact is Kurumi is driven by her love. She may be obsessed, she may be like a stalker, but its because of her love. And for that, not everyone can condemn her.

She definitely needs a little help though, and hopefully before she goes yandere too.
She's already a yandere character type, imo. She's just a very sly one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
There's certainly room for her to be a lot worse than she is now.
Certainly.

That doesn't mean that she isn't obsessed with Kazehaya though... because she is, imo.

Quote:
I do think that she has real feelings for Kazehaya. That is definitely part of what fuels her actions.

However... I very strongly dislike the idea that Kurumi's "being a typical middle school girl who isn't getting the guy she wants", because that implies that her behavior is normal and acceptable... and it isn't.

I don't think that most girls would go to the lengths that she has gone to. It's not normal to sabotage a guy's lovelife because you refuse to let him be with somebody other than you... and at the same time to not pursue him in a straightforward way whatsoever.

That's a key factor for me. Kazehaya seems to have little to no clue to the feelings that Kurumi has for him.

Quote:

I do not like her tactics and certainly hope that she gets exposed eventually, at the same time however, I do feel there's more to her than simply being the villian of the story.
Possibly.

Quote:

Why, if you don't mind me asking? What's wrong with an antagonist who simply serves the role of the antagonist?

Several great antagonists in fiction were never reformed into protagonists.

Now, if Kurumi becomes a protagonist then that could be interwoven into a very nice and heartwarming story, no doubt. But I don't see anything intrinsically wrong with an antagonist that simply serves the role of an antagonist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukimoto View Post
Is Kurumi appearing at Kazehaya's window every night?

No.

Is Kurumi calling Kazehaya like how Miyako left messages for Hiro in ef?

No.

Carving his name into her arm?
Actually... we don't know any of these three for certain. Well, those of us unfamiliar with the source material don't know this for certain, anyway.

Quote:
Becoming delusional and thinking she's already Kazehaya's girlfriend?
No, she's not doing this. You're right here.

Quote:
Refusing to acknowledge that there are other girls Kazehaya can like?
Actually, this is precisely what she is doing. She is deliberately preventing Kazehaya from getting into a romantic relationship with any other girl. She's doing her best to not allow him to have such lasting romantic feelings for other girls.

Also, the broader spirit behind your arguments is flawed. There's no one strict set way that obsession manifests itself. Different people with an obsessive-compulsive disorder can act it out in different ways. A person doesn't need to cover every possible manner of acting it out in order to have obsessive-compulsive disorder; a person simply needs to demonstrate in two or three different clear ways a genuine obsession, and Kurumi has done just that.

Her comments betray how much constant attention that she pays Kazehaya (how much she has watched him through life, in her words), and how she has intentionally undermined his relationships with other girls for years.

These are two clear examples of Kurumi being obsessed over Kazehaya.

Quote:
Kurumi is being a typical middle school girl who isn't getting the guy she wants.
No, she isn't being a typical middle school girl who isn't getting the guy she wants.

Quote:
When people can't get what they want, they tend to try different methods to achieve their goals.
When people want a particular something as much as Kurumi does, and goes to the lengths that she does to gain it, that's an obsession, imo.

Quote:
So until Kurumi starts acting like an ef girl, please don't label her with major psychological disorders.
It's not a "label"; it's a diagnosis.

Kurumi is obviously overly obsessed with Kazehaya. She needs to get over him... for her sake as well as everybody elses.
Old 2009-12-25, 22:39   Link #1044
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Why, if you don't mind me asking? What's wrong with an antagonist who simply serves the role of the antagonist?
Nothing really, just like there's nothing wrong with an antagonist going beyond her/his initial role.

As for your first question.....

I think the friendship between Sawako and Kurumi can be a great thing for the show. Seeing her character develop and grow as a person is also something that I would like to see.

If she forever remains as the bad girl, we may never see another side of her character. If anything, she would only become more extreme in her role.

Quote:
Several great antagonists in fiction were never reformed into protagonists.
Not saying it's something that should happen all the time, just something I would like to see happening here.
Old 2009-12-25, 22:46   Link #1045
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Nothing really, just like there's nothing wrong with an antagonist going beyond her/his initial role.

As for your first question.....

I think the friendship between Sawako and Kurumi can be a great thing for the show. Seeing her character develop and grow as a person is also something that I would like to see.

If she forever remains as the bad girl, we may never see another side of her character. If anything, she would only become more extreme in her role.

Not saying it's something that should happen all the time, just something I would like to see happening here.

Ok, I see your point now.

Yeah, in this particular instance, a bad girl-to-protagonist switch probably has greater potential for good character development and good stories than keeping Kurumi as a bad girl.
Old 2009-12-26, 05:07   Link #1046
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Kurumi is being a typical middle school girl who isn't getting the guy she wants. When people can't get what they want, they tend to try different methods to achieve their goals. Sure people are getting hurt and mixed up with their feelings from the things Kurumi intentionally do, but are they killing themselves over it? Is anyone hallucinating or falling into bouts of depression? Minor depression maybe, but really, whose life is perfect and hasn't gone through any period of time of sadness and misery?

Spoiler for Authorial Intentions behind Kurumi, spoilers just in case:

Last edited by cheesie; 2009-12-26 at 05:52. Reason: Threw in spoiler tags
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-26, 10:48   Link #1047
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:

And if there is more to her, it still doesn't make much of a difference. A mass murderer who happened to have been abused as a child is still a mass murderer. Sure, you can have some sympathy for the person but at the end of the day it's that body count that's going to matter.

So no matter how many excuses can be given for her actions, it's still what she does and the end result that matters. Right now, she has ruined another girl's chances by playing her for a fool (1st female who was intimidating Sawako), potentially messing with Ryu's personal life, screwing over Kazehaya's high school life having already screwed over middle school and now she's aiming at Sawako with gusto.
Old 2009-12-26, 11:17   Link #1048
Salva
Princess since baptism.

And here we go with my impressions of this episode. I had to watch it two times to catch every feeling and thought that came to my mind while watching.

First thing, the title. I've been wondering for a while what kind of meaning do they have cause they are not as annoying as titles usually are. After watching the episode I think they are pretty good and say everything in as little words as possible.

Spoiler for 12 episode, and... I warn you, this is LONG:
Old 2009-12-26, 17:32   Link #1049
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
And if there is more to her, it still doesn't make much of a difference. A mass murderer who happened to have been abused as a child is still a mass murderer. Sure, you can have some sympathy for the person but at the end of the day it's that body count that's going to matter.
A strange comparison, if you can actually call it one.

And being more to her would actually make a world of difference, IMHO. Kurumi has yet to kill anybody () and still has a chance to recover from her obsession, me thinks.

Quote:
So no matter how many excuses can be given for her actions, it's still what she does and the end result that matters. Right now, she has ruined another girl's chances by playing her for a fool (1st female who was intimidating Sawako),
She ruined all her chances all on her own. Ganging up on Sawako, attacking her in the restroom, making fun of her friends, etc. If she did all that because of the rumors, then it was her using said rumors as an excuse to vent her sentimental frustations.

Quote:
potentially messing with Ryu's personal life
Only Sawako knows about Ryu's true feelings and she only learned about them until recently. For Kurumi, Ryu could have been just a free dude that she could push Sawako to.

Kurumi is obviously trying to use Ryu to achieve her goal, but how far she is willing to play this card is something that remains to be seen.

Quote:
screwing over Kazehaya's high school life having already screwed over middle school and now she's aiming at Sawako with gusto.
Remember that it was all the girls interested in him that started the whole "Kazehaya is everyone's" thing. They were also the ones that decided to "protect him" from any potential love rival.

Regardless of her intelligence, Kurumi can only manipulate people up to a certain point. If we are going to blame her for screwing Kazehaya's relationships in school, then we must blame all the other girls interested in him as well.
Old 2009-12-26, 20:07   Link #1050
orion

Quote:
lots of stuff..
You're dealing with a psycho Sae here.

Spoiler for Sae:

Whether or not she recovers doesn't matter for all the sh*t she caused. Just like that murderer who reformed while in prison, tough sh*t. You're still responsible for your crimes.

She dragged Ryu in when she had no business. Instead of approaching Kazehaya on her own and getting rejected, she took the coward's way out and manipulates Sawako and Ryu into a bad situation. It didn't matter what Ryu said. It's the fact that Kazehaya saw Sawako and Ryu together that counted. The expected response was for Kazehaya to abandon Sawako with Kurumi there to comfort him and eventually go out with him.

She manipulated that other girl into spreading the rumors and intimidation. Kurumi can not be caught doing something "dirty". While it doesn't absolve the other girl from responsibility, knowing Kurumi is behind it all means that she bears a majority share in it.

It's pretty obvious about Ryu if you've been following the episodes. Kurumi is from the same middle school as Ryu and Chizu. I doubt that she hasn't figured that part out.

And with that "all girls thing", girls normally don't care about "all girls <insert guy's name here> "and it didn't stop her from stalking him or sabotaging another girl. (her admission). I wouldn't be surprised if she was behind the "all girls Kazehaya" thing too. Again, while the other participants can't be absolved for stupidity, the perpertrator of that plan (most likely Kurumi) has major responsibility imo.

Last edited by orion; 2009-12-26 at 20:27.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-26, 22:19   Link #1051
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Whether or not she recovers doesn't matter for all the sh*t she caused. Just like that murderer who reformed while in prison, tough sh*t. You're still responsible for your crimes.
Her errors will always be there, true, yet, it is something she can learn to live with, something she can learn from.

Again, I do not believe her to be a saint nor do I think she is a better person than Sawako.

Quote:
She dragged Ryu in when she had no business. Instead of approaching Kazehaya on her own and getting rejected, she took the coward's way out and manipulates Sawako and Ryu into a bad situation.
This will be something interesting to see in future episodes, why Kurumi doesn't approach and confess to Kazehaya directly, that is. She could be afraid of rejection, she may be secretly shy in nature, heck, she could have though of him as a "sure thing", only waiting for the perfect time to confess.

And the thing with Ryu is just Kurumi getting desperate, me thinks (read: not a lot of though into it). The rumors and the "Kazehaya is everyone's" schemes were pretty elaborated compared to this.

While it is spiced with evil and wickedness, this strikes me more as a result of fear and insecurity.

Quote:
She manipulated that other girl into spreading the rumors and intimidation. Kurumi can not be caught doing something "dirty". While it doesn't absolve the other girl from responsibility, knowing Kurumi is behind it all means that she bears a majority share in it.
Unless I missed something along the way, I do not remember Kurumi manipulating anyone to bully Sawako in the girls restroom. The rumors were also aimed at her friends and not Sawako herself.

The other girl's jealousy was likely there the moment Kazehaya started to talk with Sawako often. Sawako herself also tried to clear the rumor and the other girl didn't care about that; She didn't cared because the rumors by themselves where not all that important to the real issue happening there.

Quote:
It's pretty obvious about Ryu if you've been following the episodes. Kurumi is from the same middle school as Ryu and Chizu. I doubt that she hasn't figured that part out.
That's the viewers perspective. What is obvious to us is not always so obvious to the characters themselves

And before talking with Sawako about it, he hadn't discussed this with anyone. He is also a pretty quiet fellow, so I have the seriously wonder about Kurumi knowing anything regarding his feelings.

Let us also remember that Kurumi wants the two to end together; If she knew about Ryu's feelings, why send Sawako to him in the first place?

Quote:
and it didn't stop her from stalking him
This is another point I would like to see in a bit more detail in the anime.

Just how far does Kurumi's stalking goes?

She is pretty much not there during the initial episodes and all her stalking scenes appear to happen withing the school itself for the most part.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2009-12-26 at 22:49.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-26, 23:38   Link #1052
orion

Yeah, you need to rewatch. The rumor escalation started after Kazehaya was getting closer to Sawako. It started with Sawako is using Kazehaya et al to get popular, then escalated to the other girls were bad saying that Sawako said it. Kazehaya losing popularity if he continued to hang with Sawako was added for a nice touch.
The altercation in the bathroom is partially fueled by the rumor that Sawako started the rumor about her friends. The head girl thought that Sawako used the other 2 to get to Kazehaya and subsequently discarded them after she got what she wanted. (ep.5) Sawako was getting Kazehaya and she wasn't so she resorted to the bullying tactic to see if Sawako would back down in the end. So basically, Kurumi is majorly responsible for that altercation imo taking advantage of frustrated girls who bought into the "All Girls Kazehaya" scheme in middle school.

Kurumi knew both Ryu and Chizu from middle school. It was remarked how the person spreading the rumors knew alot about Chizu.

Anime Rule of Childhood Friends Learned from Angelic Layer: Childhood friends don't continue to hang around past elem school unless they are dating. Those 2 are hanging. They were prob rumors floating around about them also.

Quote:
This is another point I would like to see in a bit more detail in the anime.

Just how far does Kurumi's stalking goes?

She is pretty much not there during the initial episodes and all her stalking scenes appear to happen withing the school itself for the most part.
She'd be noticed too much outside of school grounds. Remember she doesn't want to get caught.

Last edited by orion; 2009-12-27 at 00:07.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 00:53   Link #1053
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
She'd be noticed too much outside of school grounds. Remember she doesn't want to get caught.
That would soften the stalking quite a bit, specially if you consider that she can't be following him all the time while at school.

Watching him while he practices sports or as he leaves the school would hardly qualify as stalking in my book.

Regarding the rumor incident, I was mostly talking about why the incident had happened and not about how the rumor itself had developed. As it is, I still think the girls bullied Sawako out of jealousy, simply using the rumors as a way/excuse to attack and provoke her.

Quote:
Anime Rule of Childhood Friends Learned from Angelic Layer: Childhood friends don't continue to hang around past elem school unless they are dating. Those 2 are hanging. They were prob rumors floating around about them also.
Not really sure how to take it from here.

Speculating with a twist?
Old 2009-12-27, 01:16   Link #1054
orion

Quote:
That would soften the stalking quite a bit, specially if you consider that she can't be following him all the time while at school.

Watching him while he practices sports or as he leaves the school would hardly qualify as stalking in my book.
Rewatch that flashback. She's peeping from behind the school gate during a blizzard. The only one.

That anime rule is an old one that is used alot.
Old 2009-12-27, 01:16   Link #1055
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:

Instead of approaching Kazehaya on her own and getting rejected, she took the coward's way out and manipulates Sawako and Ryu into a bad situation.
This is my biggest problem with Kurumi (in bold).

Kurumi is not trying at all to win Kazehaya over directly; to try to, say, flirt with him, for example.

If she did compliment her manipulations with straightforward romantic appeals to Kazehaya that might seem somewhat normal to me; still not good, but at least normal.

But, as is, she's really messing up Kazehaya's life, and badly. Until she ceases doing that, it's hard for me to like her at all.

Quote:
I'm actually going to play devil's advocate here a bit... do we know for certain that Kurumi was the mastermind behind what that other girl and her gang was doing?

And, even if Kurumi was the person who came up with the idea, the other girls had to be pretty bad bullies to go along with it anyway.

Anyway, my views on Kurumi are closer to yours than they are to her defenders... but I'm willing to accept her as a protagonist as long as she takes an image hit for her wrong-doing. I really do want to see her wrong-doing to be revealed to Kazehaya and the rest of the protagonist cast.
Old 2009-12-27, 01:30   Link #1056
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm actually going to play devil's advocate here a bit... do we know for certain that Kurumi was the mastermind behind what that other girl and her gang was doing?

And, even if Kurumi was the person who came up with the idea, the other girls had to be pretty bad bullies to go along with it anyway.
This ain't Hamlet here. Only one bad apple is being identified so far and she has admitted to doing stuff in the past. Also, you got that Kurumi shot at the end listening in on what the girl did after the fact.

As explained earlier, they were upset over alot of things that they heard and the fact that Sawako is close to Kazehaya. All that repressed stuff from holding it in during middle school came out. They're prob kicking themselves in the ass for being so stupid. Multifactorial.
Old 2009-12-27, 01:36   Link #1057
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
This ain't Hamlet here. Only one bad apple is being identified so far and she has admitted to doing stuff in the past.

As explained earlier, they were upset over alot of things that they heard and the fact that Sawako is close to Kazehaya. All that repressed stuff from holding it in during middle school. They're prob kicking themselves in the ass for being so stupid. Multifactorial.
Ok, I see what you're saying...

Kurumi's "Kazehaya belongs equally to every girl!" diplomatic compromise probably caused more harm than good, long-term.
Old 2009-12-27, 02:18   Link #1058
tsukimoto

Quote:
It's not a "label"; it's a diagnosis.
Thank you Dr. Triple_R. I never knew Kurumi went to your office for a psychiatric assessment. All is clear now.

Quote:
No, she isn't being a typical middle school girl who isn't getting the guy she wants.
Because being over ten years out of middle/high school has obviously strengthened your memory and knowledge of teenagers in middle/high school nowadays. I can't be a voice for school life of today, but kimitodo isn't that far off from what I've seen. This is my personal opinion, and I'm not going to label or diagnose Kurumi with anything, but I am going to argue that yes, based on my experience of today's high school life, Kurumi doesn't seem to be far off from anything socially acceptable.

Quote:
Actually, this is precisely what she is doing. She is deliberately preventing Kazehaya from getting into a romantic relationship with any other girl. She's doing her best to not allow him to have such lasting romantic feelings for other girls.
Well, deliberately preventing Kazehaya from getting it on with other girls would mean that she DOES acknowledge that there ARE other girls! I'm saying she actually acknowledges that Kazehaya ISN'T into her, and is doing her best to get him. That, in my opinion is quite a normal mindset. Now in comparison, a non-socially accepted mindset would be Kurumi already CONVINCED that she's Kazehaya's girlfriend aka Kazehaya has already accepted her as his girlfriend.

Quote:
Also, the broader spirit behind your arguments is flawed. There's no one strict set way that obsession manifests itself. Different people with an obsessive-compulsive disorder can act it out in different ways. A person doesn't need to cover every possible manner of acting it out in order to have obsessive-compulsive disorder; a person simply needs to demonstrate in two or three different clear ways a genuine obsession, and Kurumi has done just that.
"genuine obsession"? You'll have to elaborate, thanks. Also, yes, according to DSM-IV and many other diagnostic tools, disorders DO manifest in countless ways. HOWEVER, in order for a diagnosis, doctors have to dig deeper and talk to the ones in question face to face. Otherwise, everything else is mere speculation. 'Cause y'know, that's what doctors are for.

This is where the writers limit our observations, we are only given so much on the characters, so unless Kurumi actually goes through a psychiatric assessment in the story, we can only speculate.

I'm not trying to point out my argument about the status of Kurumi's mental status. I'm just saying there is no possible way to "diagnose" characters from a subjective view and went out of my way to exaggerate that point in my last post. Alot of things written here have so much bias and personal thought added in; and conclusions made from that are called speculations, not diagnoses.
Old 2009-12-27, 02:49   Link #1059
CALGARYSUX

Quote:
Thank you Dr. Triple_R. I never knew Kurumi went to your office for a psychiatric assessment. All is clear now.

Because being over ten years out of middle/high school has obviously strengthened your memory and knowledge of teenagers in middle/high school nowadays. I can't be a voice for school life of today, but kimitodo isn't that far off from what I've seen. This is my personal opinion, and I'm not going to label or diagnose Kurumi with anything, but I am going to argue that yes, based on my experience of today's high school life, Kurumi doesn't seem to be far off from anything socially acceptable.

Well, deliberately preventing Kazehaya from getting it on with other girls would mean that she DOES acknowledge that there ARE other girls! I'm saying she actually acknowledges that Kazehaya ISN'T into her, and is doing her best to get him. That, in my opinion is quite a normal mindset. Now in comparison, a non-socially accepted mindset would be Kurumi already CONVINCED that she's Kazehaya's girlfriend aka Kazehaya has already accepted her as his girlfriend.

"genuine obsession"? You'll have to elaborate, thanks. Also, yes, according to DSM-IV and many other diagnostic tools, disorders DO manifest in countless ways. HOWEVER, in order for a diagnosis, doctors have to dig deeper and talk to the ones in question face to face. Otherwise, everything else is mere speculation. 'Cause y'know, that's what doctors are for.

This is where the writers limit our observations, we are only given so much on the characters, so unless Kurumi actually goes through a psychiatric assessment in the story, we can only speculate.

I'm not trying to point out my argument about the status of Kurumi's mental status. I'm just saying there is no possible way to "diagnose" characters from a subjective view and went out of my way to exaggerate that point in my last post. Alot of things written here have so much bias and personal thought added in; and conclusions made from that are called speculations, not diagnoses.
I totally agree.
Tsukimoto has made a great point!!

On a side note: Canucks beat Oilers woohoo!!
CALGARYSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 04:24   Link #1060
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Rewatch that flashback. She's peeping from behind the school gate during a blizzard. The only one.
Yeah, I remember that one. I though it kinda gave a romantic vibe to Kurumi's flashback.

Then again, It never snows were I live, so what do I know.

Tags
production i.g, romance, shoujo