Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-01-17, 12:31   Link #1101
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
After seeing this, you really have to wonder:

Is that SWTOR cutscene in the final build?
Wow, people really need to FUCKING LAY OFF TOR... Im gonna be chuckling when those MMO's that the video show fai- oh wait.. one already did.. not even a month after release.

oh and something tells me that there are only cut scenes here and there.. not EVERY QUEST... lets see a F2P game like Blade and soul and GW2 have the budget to make those kind of cut scenes for pretty much every quest.

not flaming at you bro, just the people who talk shit from that video.
Old 2012-01-17, 14:23   Link #1102
Nixl

Bugs like those is part of the reason beta testing is fun. Some of unintended bugs almost become better than the intended version in my opinion.

The best cut scene bug in my opinion is the one that randomly reduced an NPC's size drastically. For instance, I still remember a cut scene in which Satele Shan is about the size of a squirrel walking across the scene, while everyone else was normal sized. I think the caption was, "Satele Shan had a hard time fitting in." I wish I saved that pic.
Nixl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 14:59   Link #1103
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Haha yea, aric did that too I was like "awww witty bitty kitty"

Gotta be something with the mini holograms.
Old 2012-01-17, 17:38   Link #1104
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Haha yea, aric did that too I was like "awww witty bitty kitty"
I had this one too. xD
I also sometimes love it when NPCs just do thier normal routine in the background, me and a friend once used one of the sensor arrays on Tatooine without aggroing the Tusken Raiders standing there, so in the cutscene we had this one Tusken standing about one step besides us, watching the desert with his macrobinoculars and we were all "Err... okay, must be something pretty interesting going on back there."
Old 2012-01-17, 17:56   Link #1105
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Wow, people really need to FUCKING LAY OFF TOR... Im gonna be chuckling when those MMO's that the video show fai- oh wait.. one already did.. not even a month after release.

oh and something tells me that there are only cut scenes here and there.. not EVERY QUEST... lets see a F2P game like Blade and soul and GW2 have the budget to make those kind of cut scenes for pretty much every quest.
It's because surprisingly many MMO gamers don't like cutscenes invading their play time that much. And TOR isn't doing that well either if you look at the numbers.

http://www.swtorarena.com/statistics/

http://www.torstatus.net/

I mean having a third of your population not still playing even through the free month? Even on weekends?

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 18:52   Link #1106
Nixl

I have been following the graphs too, the way they explained the data seems valid. Although we will not truly know until Wednesday/Thursday when the free month it up. Based on sales, TOR did well, but I do not know if it did as well as intended. I know BW said they would be profitable at 500k, but I feel that they would suffer a backlash from EA, even if the backlash is unwarranted. Hard to tell.

Well, I was going to hold off until tomorrow, but I do want to know how many of you are 50 yet? The reason I ask is that I wanted to know what you think about the story of TOR.

Essentially, what would you have done different if you were a writer (if anything)?

For instance, I feel that Bioware could have taken their dialogue wheel/choices to the next step with a faction system. Take WoW: Burning Crusade with the Aldor and Scryers faction that you built reputation with. I think such a reputation/faction system would have fit TOR perfectly. I mean, you already have a choice system and you have at least companion reputation gain. It you want to give players choices, let them choose to controls a sector or the council, etc. As it stands you cannot seem to change the political situation at all. If not now, I think that is a feature that Bioware should look into for future expansions.

Another thought is that rather than do 8 mini-stories that branch in, I think BW should have started starting at a singular point that branched out, so that your character is undeniably linked to the war. For example, I think they could have started at the battle of Alderan with which Malgus and Shan faced off in that cinematic. The text prologue could say that as Republic you were a refugee from Alderan whereas with the Empire you could have been a slave taken by Malgus. This may seems trivial, but I think they could have done more to make your character feel like the second generation of Republic/Empire to be dragged into the war.

Edit: I just found an article that *speculates* that EA has invested close to $500 million into TOR.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ele...7?pagenumber=2
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/1064...n-dollars.html

Again it is speculation, but this sounds a tad bit more plausible coming from the Doug Creutz of Cowen & Co compared to EA Louse (who claimed $300 million). I know Reid has denied this figure, but as with anyone spokesmen they spin news, we will probably never know. Ultimately, it could be $500 million in total, but spread out between marketing, production, and setting up the physical location of the Bioware studio. I do remember a news story stating that EA set up a new studio location just for TOR. If EA did open a new location, a new studio with new equipment and new offices to rent could add up easily over time.

Nonetheless, whether TOR actual costs range from $80 to $500 million, it seems like an expensive venture.

Last edited by Nixl; 2012-01-17 at 20:33.
Old 2012-01-17, 20:13   Link #1107
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I like the idea of ideas having a... for the lack of a better term larger, more tangible impact on the world. However, the branching story doesn't really work well with a lot of the backgrounds of the class story though. The Jedi characters were raised from childhood for example, the Inquisitor starts as a slave while the warrior is a noble born.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 20:30   Link #1108
Nixl

True Keroko, branching would have problems.

Another thing, when I see the Sith Warrior I feel as though Bioware was trying to make you feel like Darth Vader, Darth Malgus, and Darth Sion. However, I think they missed one important aspect of these characters in that they were artificially alive in a sense. They were mauled and mostly had mechanical devices. (Sion being the exception) Vader had robotic limbs and was on life support. Malgus also had the breathing device. Darth Sion was probably the most extreme example with his wounds. It looks like they tried to keep with this mechanical/cyborg theme with the Sith Warrior tier armor, but I believe that it should have been an actual part of the Sith Warrior story. As in, at some point you are betrayed, which leaves your mauled, but eventually rebuilt like Vader. From there it could have become a revenge story.

Forgive me, I do not have a good way of articulating this point yet. I read what they did with Malgus' story and design and I think they should have mimicked it with the Sith Warrior down to the story and injuries.
Old 2012-01-18, 02:45   Link #1109
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I see what you mean, and while I do think it's interesting, not everyone likes changes forced upon their carefully crafted character.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 02:58   Link #1110
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
Bugs like those is part of the reason beta testing is fun. Some of unintended bugs almost become better than the intended version in my opinion.

The best cut scene bug in my opinion is the one that randomly reduced an NPC's size drastically. For instance, I still remember a cut scene in which Satele Shan is about the size of a squirrel walking across the scene, while everyone else was normal sized. I think the caption was, "Satele Shan had a hard time fitting in." I wish I saved that pic.
I had the bug as well with my Jedi Knight. When the camera angle switched to show the Jedi table and she spoke, I couldn't see her at all. Just as they showed her chair at the end of the dialogue I was able to see her in tiny-appearance

Hm, I really need to find a class for myself to stick with instead of rotating between three+ characters in <20 range. It seems that in this level range there is an huuuge influx of Trooper Commandos, Sentinels and JC-Sages on my german server.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 15:55   Link #1111
Nixl

The everyday life of a Republic trooper....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...0kDP_Cexo#t=9s
Old 2012-01-18, 16:24   Link #1112
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
I mean having a third of your population not still playing even through the free month? Even on weekends?
They made me buy a month to get that free month... so it's more like 1/2 off your first 2 months.

Then again I was given a SWTOR prepayed card for Christmas so it was thankfully on someone else.

I'm currently playing it only about once a week, so those number don't surprise me.

Last edited by Ryus; 2012-01-18 at 16:38.
Ryus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 17:11   Link #1113
Nixl

I was wondering when the One Eyed Bro was going to join the discussion more >:3

So Ryus, what would you have done with TOR's story?
Old 2012-01-18, 19:02   Link #1114
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
BLARG Stupid CDN. Why did EA and BioWare decide to use a CDN service for patching? Not all the CDN servers are getting consistent files for whatever reason so people are getting stuck in infinite repair loops because the launcher is constantly downloading corrupt files. WTF?
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 20:35   Link #1115
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I see what you mean, and while I do think it's interesting, not everyone likes changes forced upon their carefully crafted character.
Presuming the existence of such an incident requiring extensive reconstruction, I put forward the idea Bioware could have taken a page from Silicon Knights' playbook, with specific reference to Too Human, wherein each choice (human or cybernetic) comes with its own set of perks and tradeoffs.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 21:07   Link #1116
Nixl

Yikes, I do not know how many of you experienced Ilum, but Republic players got a raw experience with the faction imbalance in a poorly planned PVP decision. The decision I am talking about is that for each objective controlled said side receives bonus valor rewards, thus the Imperials had the advantage of numbers and not only easily took the objectives, but also easily steamrolled Republic players. In essence, Imperials were able to farm republic players throughout the day and on top of it received large amounts of bonus Valor points. Bioware made a response saying that they would change Ilum in the future.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=197991

However, it seems that Bioware will not roll back the servers and so those who took advantage of Ilum today shall keep the valor points. While Bioware stated it could taken action, the sheer amount of players that took advantage makes that possibility appear unlikely in my opinion.

The response on the forum is,well, rage.
Old 2012-01-19, 00:13   Link #1117
Xion Valkyrie

Wow, EA, just wow...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=199124
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-19, 00:42   Link #1118
Nixl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
If true, that is a new low by hiding the unsubscribe option. I dont like it one bit. I do not think that is a line that should be crossed.

Edit: I see youuuuuu Ryus, typin' dat reply.

Last edited by Nixl; 2012-01-19 at 01:10.
Old 2012-01-19, 01:44   Link #1119
Ryus
The One Eyed King

^Yeah, a lot of typing...

So glad I haven't done any PvP yet or I'd likely be joining in the rage after hearing that and hiding the unsubscribe button is a bad sign for this games sales rate and a piety move (then again these are the same people who retconned most of the plot points in Kotor 2 for no seemingly good reason other than they didn't like it, so I'm not surprised)

Quote:
I was wondering when the One Eyed Bro was going to join the discussion more >:3p
I've been avoiding here since I'm such a noob at MMOs I'm still learning tons even now. Thankfully my brother a WoW loyalist has helped me here.

Quote:
So Ryus, what would you have done with TOR's story?
That is impossible in 10,000 words or less since we are talking about editing a 200 hour plus game with 6 main characters in a single post, but I'll try anyways. Going to be hard to sum up all my thoughts here, sorry if it sounds weird when you read it but I am having to condense a lot of what I want so I'll just keep it focused on the setup between Kotor and SWTOR and some neat ideas (at least imho) I had for my dream game. Hopefully you understand.

Spoiler for TL; maybe you'll read :p:
Old 2012-01-19, 01:50   Link #1120
Nixl

To be perfectly I honest, I thought they would pull and an Illidan with Revan as in a character that would receive a dedicated expansion with quests/instances, etc to fulfill plot points. Sadly...they needed a boss that fulfilled a pants loot quota.

Tags
bioware, lucasarts, mmorpg, star wars, windows