AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-21, 07:20   Link #121
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
I hope they're including After Story when they mentioned Clannad. It would be disappointing if they didn't.
Yah that would really suck .
Old 2010-03-21, 11:12   Link #122
ginytah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
two words: Risa Harada. If you look her up in DNAngel you will understand the type of voice we're likely to expect.
OH NOES! DO NOT WANT!
upcoming massive nagisa hatred
dango daikazoku is now ruined forever
Old 2010-03-21, 13:24   Link #123
hinakatbklyn

Luci has sung before
Spoiler for Prior anime role:
but wasn't using a cute voice for that role. Until I hear her sing dango daikazoku, I'm giving her the thumbs up.
Old 2010-03-21, 19:56   Link #124
Dark Paladin X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baru View Post
This is interesting, in particular I'm referring to the movie 5 Centimeters per Second having two English dubs, one produced by ADV, the other by Bang Zoom in LA. In the ADV dub, the lead was played by David Matranga, and the Bang Zoom dub had JYB play the character.
So perhaps you'll find Matranga acceptable since JYB can play the same type of character as him?

Just a thought.
Hmmmm...would this mean that David Matranga may be the Texan equivalent to Johnny Yong Bosch? I not sure what kind of roles he have, but I'm guessing he's less typecasted than JYB. The other option happens to be Chris Patton.
Old 2010-03-22, 12:03   Link #125
cyberdemon

new list of VA
Kyou Fujibayashi- Shelley Calene-Black
Junior Male - Josh Grelle
Girl - Melissa Davis

i remember SCB from air gear and orphen and i just feel her voice might be a little too off for the role.
Old 2010-03-22, 14:02   Link #126
hinakatbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post

new list of VA
Kyou Fujibayashi- Shelley Calene-Black
Girl - Melissa Davis

i remember SCB from air gear and orphen and i just feel her voice might be a little too off for the role.
Since I carry the channel that will carry Clannad subbed and dubbed, I will wait until I see and hear it dubbed before I pass judgement......... but my pre opinion on Kyou's dub (since I'm familiar with Shelley), I'm sticking with the original. Maybe she can prove me wrong (I hope).

Melissa Davis for the Illusionary world girl, she's fine.
Old 2010-03-22, 14:10   Link #127
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinakatbklyn View Post
Since I carry the channel that will carry Clannad subbed and dubbed, I will wait until I see and hear it dubbed before I pass judgement......... but my pre opinion on Kyou's dub (since I'm familiar with Shelley), I'm sticking with the original. Maybe she can prove me wrong (I hope).

Melissa Davis for the Illusionary world girl, she's fine.
i carry the channel too so i canb't wait till the 26th to see it and hope my fears of some of the characters are for nothing

final list is up
Quote:
Clannad -
Director & ADR Script (Ep 1 - 12) - Steven Foster
Director (Ep 13 - 24) - Janice Williams
ADR Script (Ep 13 - 24) - Clint Bickham

Tomoya Okazaki - David Matranga
Nagisa Furukawa - Luci Christian
Kyou Fujibayashi - Shelley Calene-Black
Botan - Melissa Davis
Ryou Fujibayashi - Brittney Karbowski
Tomoyo Sakagami - Kaytha Coker
Kotomi Ichinose - Emily Neves
Fuko Ibuki - Hilary Haag
Youhei Sunohara - Greg Ayres
Mei Sunohara - Serena Varghese
Akio Furukawa - Andrew Love
Sanae Furukawa - Kara Greenberg
Voice of "I" - Shannon Emerick
Girl - Melissa Davis
Yukine Miyazawa - Maggie Flecknoe
Misae Sagara - Elizabeth Bunch
Naoyuki Okazaki - Chris Hutchison
Kouko Ibuki - Stephanie Wittels
Yusuke Yoshino - Illich Guardiola
Junior Male (from Ep 24) - Josh Grelle

Last edited by cyberdemon; 2010-03-23 at 11:51.
Old 2010-03-23, 19:05   Link #128
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
Well, now that we have the full case, I think I'll do some impressions on it. Some of these people I don't know very well, so bear with me. Obviously the fruits of Seraphim's labors will be evident at the end of the week, but nonetheless...

Main Cast
Quote:
Tomoya Okazaki: David Matranga (Yuichi Nakamura)
As stated before, Mr. Matranga has extensive experience with Mr. Foster. I believe his role as Takaki in 5cm/sec is most illustrative of how he'll play Tomoya, as well, including the effect of aging over time on his portrayal, though that's of course more relevant to season two. I believe it's a good casting decision. Preliminary grade: A

Quote:
Nagisa Furukawa: Luci Christian (Mai Nakahara)
I was pretty skeptical of Ms. Christian in this role until someone pointed me to D.N. Angel's dub, in which she played Risa Harada, which gave me a lot more confidence that she can do sweet and kind without the fury that many of her other roles provide. I'm not sold yet and likely won't be until I see it in action, but I'm cautiously optimistic about the casting. Preliminary grade: B

Quote:
Sanae Furukawa: Kara Greenberg (Kikuko Inoue)
She hasn't done a ton that I've seen, but her portrayal of Pani Poni Dash's Media is about as good a barometer as I can squeak out. It remains to be seen if she can pull out the kind of masterful performance that Kikuko Inoue did with the role, but I'm hopeful that this will prove to be a good casting decision. Preliminary grade: B

Quote:
Akio Furukawa: Andrew Love (Ryotaro Okiayu)
I looked at two roles Andrew has done in the past, one for each side of Akio's personality. Hugh from Kiba for the more gruff side; the Alien Captain from PPD for the more amusing side. Both were well done, and both I think will show Mr. Love to be more than a competent choice for this role. Preliminary grade: A

Quote:
Youhei Sunohara: Greg Ayers (Daisuke Sakaguchi)
I'm honestly just hoping Mr. Ayers doesn't break this role. He has the right credentials to try, but I don't know that his voice will click for me in the role. His voice is very different in style than Sakaguchi-san's and that worries me. This is probably the one role I'm most nervous about, honestly. I think he can do it, but I don't know that he will. Here's hoping. Preliminary grade: C

Quote:
Kyou Fujibayashi: Shelley Calene-Black (Ryou Hirohashi)
I honestly have very little experience with Ms. Calene-Black, but what little I have heard is heartening. She has feisty down pretty well; some of the cockiness in her voice, hopefully a feature of the characters I've seen her as and not something that just comes with the voice, is the only thing that has to go for me to be fully satisfied with the casting. But based solely on what I've seen, I'm concerned. Preliminary grade: C

Quote:
Kotomi Ichinose: Emily Neves (Mamiko Noto)
I really don't have any indication of this one. I don't remember her voice in Halo Legends very well and I think this is where the directorial touch is going to have to make up for Ms. Neves' inexperience. We'll see, but this will certainly be a trial by fire for the rookie. Mamiko Noto is a high bar to clear even exempting some of the difficult emotional scenes that await Ms. Neves' portrayal. Preliminary grade: B

Quote:
Tomoyo Sakagami: Kaytha Coker (Houko Kuwashima)
Not who I was expecting, but if this is the voice we get, we'll be fine. Alice from Pumpkin Scissors and Tomoyo are similar characters and, in my opinion, Ms. Coker did fine by Alice and will do fine by Tomoyo. Tomoyo, in all honesty, is probably the easiest character to dub of the cast; she has the fewest quirks, both in mannerism and personality. As Ms. Coker has proven herself competent, I do think she'll be good in this role. Preliminary grade: A

Quote:
Fuko Ibuki: Hilary Haag (Ai Nonaka)
Quirky voice? Check; Ms. Haag certainly has the ability to do weird, as experienced with anyone who had the (mis)fortune to see Super Milk-chan on Adult Swim. Quirky delivery? We'll see. This is a hard role to replicate, and I don't think trying to just do Ai Nonaka's portrayal in English is wise. If anyone can do it, it's Hilary Haag. My hope, however, is that Hilary will be allowed to make Fuko her own, which I think will have a better result. Preliminary grade: B

Quote:
Exam 1:
4.0 + 3.0 + 3.0 + 4.0 + 2.0 + 2.0 + 3.0 + 4.0 + 3.0 = 3.1 average
Supporting Cast
Quote:
Ryou Fujibayashi: Brittney Karbowski (Akemi Kanda)
Brittney Karbowski made a huge fan out of me with her portrayal of Ayu and I'm hoping she can follow that up with a great performance here. Ryou is much quieter than Ayu as a default, but any viewer of Kanon should be aware of Ayu's more quiet, pensive moments. That's the voice we should expect and if it's what we get, it'll be great. Preliminary grade: A

Quote:
Mei Sunohara: Serena Varghese (Yukari Tamura)
If Ms. Varghese just uses the voice she used for Michiru in Air here, she'll do great as Youhei's little sister as well. Mei is a bit more involved than Michiru in terms of exposure, but the voice should be similar and as such I have little doubt this is cast as well as it could be. Preliminary grade: A

Quote:
Misae Sagara: Elizabeth Bunch (Satsuki Yukino)
I don't really have much to go on here, but the temper that Amanda displayed in one scene of Red Garden should provide enough of an impression as to how she will handle Misae's more difficult scenes. I can't really say one way or the other how this will work, but I have no reason to believe it won't. Preliminary grade: B

Quote:
Yukine Miyazawa: Maggie Flecknoe (Atsuko Enomoto)
A simple modification on the voice Ms. Flecknoe used to perfection as Shiori in Kanon will be perfect for this role. Yukine has that same kind of voice, so while it will ideally be a bit more drawn out, even absent any modification I think she will do fine here. Preliminary grade: A

Quote:
Kouko Ibuki: Stephanie Wittels (Yuko Minaguchi)
I love Stephanie Wittels and she should do just fine as Kouko. A calm, soothing voice will serve the role well and I think Ms. Wittels brings that to the table in spades. Glad to see her as part of this project. Preliminary grade: A

Quote:
Yusuke Yoshino: Illich Guardiola (Hikaru Midorikawa)
Similar to Naoyuki below, not a very important role at first, but cast well for future relevance. The brash, confident voice he uses should serve him well here. I eagerly await Yusuke's first overblown, overly dramatic speech in English. Preliminary grade: A

Quote:
Naoyuki Okazaki: Chris Hutchinson (Hiroshi Naka)
Not an exceptionally important role at the beginning, but adequately cast for later parts. I don't have a ton of experience with the man, but what little I've heard I think should be fine for this role. He doesn't do a ton of speaking, so it'd take a lot to make me nervous about this role. Admittedly a low barrier, but Mr. Hutchinson leaps over it anyway. Preliminary grade: A

Quote:
Botan: Melissa Davis (Machiko Kawana)
Can one have had a relevant role for this? She hasn't voiced another baby boar that goes 'puhi!' Preliminary grade: Puhi!

Quote:
Junior (episode 24): Josh Grelle (Jun Fukuyama)
Unimportant role, but he has the experience to make it work as well as it has to. Certainly not a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination. Preliminary grade: A

Quote:
Voice of "I:" Shannon Emerick (Akiko Yajima)
So long as some of the more "I'm 10" tones of her male voice that served her so well in Kanon but would be out of place here can be removed, as I hope they can, this should be just fine. Preliminary grade: B

Quote:
Girl: Melissa Davis (Tomoko Kawakami)
Well placed, a good actress in an important role. If she can replicate her performance with Mai, softening it up more akin to the younger version as seen in Kanon, she should do perfectly here. Preliminary grade: A

Quote:
Exam 2:
4.0 + 4.0 + 3.0 + 4.0 + 4.0 + 4.0 + 4.0 + 4.0 + 3.0 + 4.0 = 3.7 average
Quote:
Final:
Main Cast: 3.1 average (65% weight)
Supporting: 3.7 average (35% weight)
Preliminary grade: 3.31 = B
My mood on the casting, as that 'grade' represents, is "cautiously optimistic." Whether or not that will bear out I suppose we'll see later this week.
Old 2010-03-24, 13:02   Link #129
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

only two more days until the first two episodes will be available for free on anime network *is excited*

Old 2010-03-24, 14:56   Link #130
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloko vi Britannia View Post
only two more days until the first two episodes will be available for free on anime network *is excited*
Don't get your hopes up too high now. They've got their work cut out for them considering the amount of emotions this series carries. Although the first season is a good time for them to get used to their roles in order to be prepared for (hopefully) the second season.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-03-25, 06:18   Link #131
ginytah

a little tease
http://www.mediafire.com/?ziwy5ijtnft
Old 2010-03-25, 06:59   Link #132
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

They haven't butchered it.

Oh my god they haven't completely destroyed it.

It might be just a tad too fast, Nagisa might seem a bit too upbeat, but oh my god Tomoya SOUNDS LIKE TOMOYA.

This- might - be - good.

It might convey the same emotions.

However, if that GUY POPS WHEN HE SHOUTS NAGISA I WILL BREAK HIS NECK.
Old 2010-03-25, 08:19   Link #133
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
It's been awhile since I've heard David Matranga, nice to hear that he's still got it in him. I look forward to hearing more of his Tomoya.

Luci as Nagisa sounds better than I expected.
Old 2010-03-25, 09:08   Link #134
hinakatbklyn

I had no doubts as to Nagisa's dub. But seriously, until I get to the dubs, I am raising the yellow flag on Kyou's dub.
Old 2010-03-25, 11:09   Link #135
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinakatbklyn View Post
I had no doubts as to Nagisa's dub. But seriously, until I get to the dubs, I am raising the yellow flag on Kyou's dub.
i agree on both counts. Kyou's dub doesn't sound right, seen plenty of roles she was in but i wouldn't really say her voice is best suited for a teenage role.

Nagisa is about what i expected a voice similar to Risa Harada minus excess perkiness.

Last edited by cyberdemon; 2010-03-25 at 12:57.
Old 2010-03-25, 11:49   Link #136
VRMN
Dangoism

It's not of good quality in terms of audio (because of how it was recorded), but I can get a feel for at least Luci's Nagisa and David's Tomoya from that clip, so thanks a lot for the preview. Tomoya...he sounds like, well, Tomoya. Pitch perfect as far as I'm concerned.

I can see me having some issues with Luci's Nagisa, as expected, but it's...not bad. I'm pretty pleased, just based off of that. If I have any complaints, it's that Nagisa feels just a little too happy. Just a bit; not enough to turn me off from the rendition. Honestly, I think that says a lot.

(On a side note, thank GOD they didn't try to be too cute with this: it's "Anpan!" still. Whew.)
Old 2010-03-25, 12:52   Link #137
cyberdemon

My Impressions of the voices after watching the first 2 episodes dubbed

David Matranga as Tomoya Okazaki- was a little concerned when i heard who was doing it but i rather liked the fit once i finally heard it. he did a really good job filling in the shoes of Tomoya.

Luci Christian as Nagisa Furukawa- Exactly as i expected. It was a pretty good fit and her singing wasn't too bad though i have to question why they left certain thing in Japanese like An-Pan when many English speakers wouldn't know what it is and the Furukawa's nicknames to Tomoya and yet change the song to English. Big Dango family doesn't sound nearly as good as Dango Dai Kazoku when it is being sung.

Shelley Calene-Black as Kyou Fujibayashi- Miscast plain and simple. The voice doesn't suit the voice of a teenage girl. Might be more appropriate in AS since it is several years later and she is more of an adult but it just doesn't sound right at the moment.

Brittney Karbowski as Ryou Fujibayashi- Feel that the quietness in her voice sounded a little too forced which affected the overall tone of it. this made it sound a little too rough at times.

Emily Neves as Kotomi Ichinose- Can't quite say if it is a good or bad thing yet that they didn't try to mimic Noto Mamiko airiness to her voice since Kotomi wasn't in currently dubbed episodes for very long.

Hilary Haag as Fuko Ibuki- A little too perfect. She's got the childish tone down nicely and i can't wait to see how this turns out with more time. for some reason i can't help but think she sounds like she's having a small orgasm when she went into her starfish dream state, lol.

Greg Ayers as Youhei Sunohara- a tough one. His voice sounds a little too childish. I think if he tried to deepen his voice a little then the fit would be pretty good. There were a few times in the first 2 episodes that the tone he used would be good but it's not a lot and rather inconsistent.

Kaytha Coker as Tomoyo Sakagami- not really sure what to say about her voice right now

Andrew Love as Akio Furukawa- another decently cast one. He's definitely got the attitude down so i can't wait to see how well he pulls everything else off.

Kara Greenberg as Sanae Furukawa- Her voice sounded too formal compared to the sometimes childish and yet sweet and soft voice of the japanese VA. That's one thing i feel they need to change.

Shannon Emerick as Voice of "I"- Sounds like a kids voice, enough said.

Chris Hutchison as Naoyuki Okazaki- this is also pretty well done though he only had 2 or 3 lines.
Old 2010-03-25, 19:07   Link #138
Kai the Sky King

Alright, so I just finished the 1st episode on TWC on Demand, and I gotta say, I'm lovin' it so far. It was just luck that a lot of my favorite voice actors got in on this one(David Matranga, Luci Christian, Greg Ayres, Shelley Calene-Black), but that doesn't I didn't have a few problems.

Tomoya--I honestly didn't expect any less from David Matranga. He hit it outta the park, and I don't doubt that he'll keep it up. Also, his very first line--"I hate this town." came out EXACTLY how I thought it would in my head before I even watched the episode.

Nagisa--GAH! It's not often that I see Luci Christian in such a subdued role as this, but I--unlike a lot of other people--didn't doubt that she'd be able to nail, and she has. Didn't really think it was possibly, but I think Nagisa just got that much cuter. <3

Youhei--Grah, this one disappointed me. Mr. Ayres is great, and Youhei's one of my favorite characters in the series, but I honestly just think that he made his voice WAY to high on this one for him. What I would've liked him to do was something closer to his performance in Godannar(can't remember his character in that show's name for the life of me), but I'll get used to this sooner or later, I guess.

Ryou--To be honest, I never really liked Ryou's character that much, but this voice alone may just be cute enough to sway me.

Tomoyo--Bleh, this is probably my least favorite of the voices so far. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I just don't feel as if the voice is right for Tomoyo, ya know? That, or the actress simply isn't very good, imo. I'll have to hear a bit more of her before I can outrightly say that I don't like it, though.

Akio--LOLZ, I've honestly got no complaints on this one. The damn-near psychotic yet comedic emotion was all there, so I'll be lookin' forward to hearing it more.

Sanae--Meh.....I honestly think this one would work much better if it simply didn't sound so....what, formal? I want to hear more before I make to much of a judgment, though.

Kyou--Why the hell do I think that this could actually work? I can totally understand someone saying that Mrs. Calene-Black's voice doesn't necessarily fit Kyou,(and it may very well not fit so well) but I've always liked her voice in pretty much any role I've heard her in, so, meh.

Anyway, if I'm not forgetting anybody, then that's that for now individual cast members. A general gripe that I have with the entire cast is the way that some of the names are pronounced, such as Nagisa, Tomoya, and Tomoyo--just sounds off when compared to how the original seiyuu said them. Hopefully, they'll get it right sooner or later.

--Edited after watching the 2nd episode.--

Alright, then.....

Fuko--I mean, what can I say? I honestly couldn't seeing anybody doing this any better than Hilary Haag. She was pretty much perfect for the role. Yet another voice I'll be looking forward to hearing more of.

Kotomi--I'm not sure who this voice actors, and I'm not even positive as to whether or not I've heard her before, but from the little that she said, I honestly am really liking it so far--she should be able to do pretty well in Kotomi's "Kotomi" moments.

Naoyuki(didn't do him last episode)--Hit the nail on the head with the "aging, lost, yet still attempting to be somewhat loving" from what I've heard. Though he's not a necessarily huge character, I think this was a good cast.

All in all, I really enjoyed it. I've got pretty high hopes for this dub, tbh--it's gonna be a enjoyable revisit into this series, at the very least.

Last edited by Kai the Sky King; 2010-03-25 at 20:52.
Old 2010-03-26, 01:11   Link #139
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
Just watched the first two episodes on Anime Network's online player.

All the voices fit for the most part, it was great to see this with an English Dub!

Only two complaints:
1. lol Na-GEE-sa
2. Kyou's voice, while it does fit her, sounds a bit too mature for her, but I don't think it's that bothersome

All in all it's a pretty great dub! I look forward to seeing the rest of the series dubbed

Oh, and Akio's voice is amazing, oh my god...
Old 2010-03-26, 01:16   Link #140
VRMN
Dangoism

As promised, the first two dubbed episodes went live on Anime Network Online about an hour ago. I just finished watching those episodes and, of course, I have an opinion. I won't bore you with character by character analysis, mostly because I actually have no real problems with any character's portrayal.

That's right. I'm even okay with the more mature sounding Kyou, just because she has the snark down and as such is just as much fun in English as Japanese. Nagisa is the role I was most concerned about, but I think I'm already used to her English voice. Luci Christian does the role justice and more. Tomoya, as well, I really like David Matranga's portrayal. The same goes for much of the cast and in many cases with some of the quirkier voices (Fuko, Kotomi) they made the right move and elected to not commit the cardinal sin of trying to replicate the Japanese voice in English. That ruins so many dubs that I'm quite glad it won't ruin this one.

But not all is sunshine and dangos, unfortunately. There is some need for some growing into the roles. I don't see anyone as incompatible, but there are minor issues. My biggest "I'm going to have to get used to this," is indeed Greg Ayers' Sunohara. It works, but it's not the original and it is the farthest off the mark in my opinion. Still, I don't really have any issues with his portrayal beyond point of reference.

The biggest issue, unfortunately for me, is pronunciation. Honestly, this does a lot better on that front than Kanon did, but I admit it. I cringed upon, and this is consistent pronunciation, from Nagisa herself, to Akio, to Sanae. It's probably going to stay "Nagisa," which isn't really wrong as much as it's too much emphasis on the second syllable. While the emphasis is there in Japanese, it comes off weirdly in English unfortunately. It was a small wound every time they proceeded to nail the last names. "Ichinose," "Fujibayashi," "Sakagami," "Furukawa," "Okazaki," all nailed as well as I have any right to expect of a non-native speaker. I'll get used to it, but honestly, that this is my biggest complaint, I think, says volumes.
Closed Thread