AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-05-27, 12:11   Link #1081
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quite the episode this week. There was a lot of talking, but imo, it was good exposition.
Looks like Souta is way more involved than I initially thought...the death of a friend can be traumatizing, but it seems it goes beyond that in his case.

As for Mamika...though I do hope she survives, chances are slim. And then there's Alicetaria, how will she react to this?

On a side note, I find myself liking Meteora more and more
Old 2017-05-27, 12:13   Link #1082
_Ninja_

Magane for being the most chaotically destructive character is not the type to burn everything down and go down with the ship. She is into wrecking people for fun and I think she quiet likes the world she found herself in. I would say she is interested in preserving her new playing field.

I like that Souta for being the "boring average guy" MC is being actually portrayed as exactly that compared to the characters he is hanging around with. He is flawed and out of his league and not meaning in terms of power but even having a conversation with these characters.

Mamika... I want her to stick around. It's not looking good. Someone mentioned a certain "episode 3" and this looks like this is it. She really stepped up as a character though having her new life in order before the end. I still hope she'd just be put out of commission to come back later.
_Ninja_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 12:19   Link #1083

That was probably too many death flags for that character. At least, we got to see an abandoned, broken down dome and quarry get nuked.

Is it safe to start guessing order of character deaths now?
998185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 12:20   Link #1084
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
>What will he think when he finds out Mamika is dead

Not yet most likely, but people were expecting this to be her "Episode 3"
I see what you did there
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 12:26   Link #1085
_Ninja_

Hahaha. Nice concern there.

_Ninja_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 12:31   Link #1086
Requiem-x
The slacking one

OH ****, OH ****, GODDAMMIT, NO, WHAT THE HELL!?

That was basically my reaction to the episode's end. Any series that sends shivers down my arms has something going on, and this one is no exception. Besides that, there was quite a bit of good stuff in this one, from Yuya going "what the hell, man!?" on his creator, Matsubara just going with it, Meteora being adorable and supportive, and of course, more tidbits of info on Souta and his relationship with Altair and Setsuna, which I have to admit, seems darker than expected, though I don't think that's bad, in a story sense, that is. After all, a character who has had to deal with bullying, peer social pressure and his own weakness is way more relatable than generic MC. Of course, the development with Magane ensure we'll be seeing more of this ugly side for him as the story goes, and who knows what kind mess it will create in regards to everything else.

Progress made in all fronts, interesting setup for the future, and a hell of an ending, easily one of the best episodes so far.

Last edited by Requiem-x; 2017-05-27 at 12:42.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 12:47   Link #1087
mysterious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trung-t-rung View Post
Do people really...not get the point with Souta's character? Like really?
It's honestly the most logical choice a normal human in the real world would have do when in the situation.

Matsubara even lampshaded this in earlier episode, 'characters' are exaggeration of notmal trait. An anime character may have been suddenly gone hot blooded but a real person wouldn't be like that. Especially considering his circumstance and guilt relating to Setsuna's death.

It honestly baffled me that people expecting a kid with some level of mental trauma to act like they would do.
It is indeed normal for a kid with those 'mistakes' to afraid of coming out clean when his 'mistakes' could have lead to world ending consequence. At the same time, people do not have to sympathize with such characters. In a real world, you have a lot of freedom to do stuff depend on your location laws or attempt to hide behind the anonymous nature of the internet. But those people do not have any right to expect sympathy from others. And kid nowadays with the internet have lot of information at their disposals than previous generations so if they can not learn from it, as they say do stupid things win stupid prize. You are free to consider a kid that may contribute to another kid's suicide as normal. I don't.
Old 2017-05-27, 12:47   Link #1088
ReddyRedWolf

Spoiler for Way out there theory, too crazy to happen:

Spoiler for New Creators:

Spoiler for Sota:

Spoiler for Mamika:
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 13:09   Link #1089
Trung-t-rung

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
It is indeed normal for a kid with those 'mistakes' to afraid of coming out clean when his 'mistakes' could have lead to world ending consequence. At the same time, people do not have to sympathize with such characters. In a real world, you have a lot of freedom to do stuff depend on your location laws or attempt to hide behind the anonymous nature of the internet. But those people do not have any right to expect sympathy from others. And kid nowadays with the internet have lot of information at their disposals than previous generations so if they can not learn from it, as they say do stupid things win stupid prize. You are free to consider a kid that may contribute to another kid's suicide as normal. I don't.
Maybe it was a misunderstanding on my part but I originally thought you hated him because he doesn't follow the kind of expectation of a 'main character'.

I personally quite like him as far as thematic goes cause he acts exactly like how I think a realistic portrayal of an average person should be.

For the last part, though, as for if a kid's stupidity may result to another suicide, that may actually be far more common IRL than you think. Of course, since we don't get the full explanation of his actions related to Setsuna, I won't jump to the conclusion that he's that type of douchebag just yet.
Trung-t-rung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 13:11   Link #1090
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Mamika.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 13:29   Link #1091
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

That last scene was so so so sick. Gotta give it up to Troyca's lighting effects and lens flares.

I can't believe Mamika intentionally walked on that landmine. She's finally growing on me, and THIS HAPPENS?! C'mon. I hope Magical Splash Flare isn't just some nuke-level bomb that destroys everything in the vicinity.

I'm curious to see how the show rationalizes creations that die.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 13:40   Link #1092
magnuskn

Okay, I'm finally losing my patience with Sota. Yes, trauma, yes, regrets. I think we all get that. To be honest, at this point I think he probably is directly responsible for her suicide. But the people on his side are fighting to prevent the END OF THE WORLD. To keep vital information from them because you feel bad is stupid beyond reason.

And now he gets a date with the second contender for best girl. Well, at least he should know to be careful with his words with her.

We'll see if Mamika makes it out alive. I would think not, but since this is fiction it's not impossible until we see a decapitated corpse.

Good episode. Outside of Sota being an incredible idiot I highly approve of everything.
Old 2017-05-27, 13:45   Link #1093
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trung-t-rung View Post
Maybe it was a misunderstanding on my part but I originally thought you hated him because he doesn't follow the kind of expectation of a 'main character'.

I personally quite like him as far as thematic goes cause he acts exactly like how I think a realistic portrayal of an average person should be.

For the last part, though, as for if a kid's stupidity may result to another suicide, that may actually be far more common IRL than you think. Of course, since we don't get the full explanation of his actions related to Setsuna, I won't jump to the conclusion that he's that type of douchebag just yet.
Sota is not realistically written. Sure, he's carrying around trauma because he decided to be a shitposter and egg on his one-time bestie to suicide. Sure he doesn't want to talk about it, so he's going to choose death before dishonor ... until it is convenient for the plot.

He can't be bothered to tell Meteora or Celestia his trauma, and that's fine. Annoying as hell, but he's the archetypal spineless MC, so whatever. The problem is that he freely (and loudly ... Magane heard him talking about it from the other side of the cafe) babbles about this horrible trauma that he doesn't want to talk about to Mamika. Worse, it's obvious he tells her everything.

So he proves that he absolutely can talk about this horrible trauma of his, that he doesn't want to talk about. But, he only does it when the plot demands that he does so. That's not a realistic character, but one born of bad writing.
Old 2017-05-27, 13:54   Link #1094
Wandering Soul

It looks like the story of what happened between Souta and Setsuna is much darker than it what it seemed. Before I though it was a matter of Souta not standing by his friend when she needed him the most and blaming himself as a result, but it looks like he played a part in pushing her to suicide. Right now it seems like his jealousy of her skills got the better of him and he ended up saying or doing something that really got to her.
Old 2017-05-27, 13:56   Link #1095
Spica

^^Magane pretty much said he was hiding that part by glossing over it and she figured it out on her own. So I think he hides or glosses over his personal part when he talks to Mamika.

Really the guy was having a panic attack with one mention, I doubt he would tell "everything" when the story was about Altair.
Spica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 14:13   Link #1096
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dithar View Post
^^Magane pretty much said he was hiding that part by glossing over it and she figured it out on her own. So I think he hides or glosses over his personal part when he talks to Mamika.

Really the guy was having a panic attack with one mention, I doubt he would tell "everything" when it's not really necessary in the story of Altair.
I just assumed that Magane was referring to Sota's talk with Meteora when she said he glossed over things. When Mamika goes to confront Altair, she makes it clear she knows everything. Including what happened to Setsuna.

Sota's panic attack comes from the fact that the very last person one would want knowing what he's said ... knows what he said.
Old 2017-05-27, 14:45   Link #1097
Spica

^ "I heard what happened to that girl." was what she said. She knew Setsuna was dead and bullied. She knew about the great D. Something about a promise and revenge or Altair's story. That's all we got really. It would be easy for him to left out his personal part since the part was not really necessary for what Mamika wanted to know.

It wouldn't really make sense for him to tell something he really wanted to hide (according to magane) and was having panic attack with one mention of it.
Also someone else pointed out last week, based on the Japanese he was about to say "She really hates me" but changed it to "this world". So I am of the opinion of that he glossed over his personal parts or just not mentioned it.

Last edited by Spica; 2017-05-27 at 15:40.
Spica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 14:56   Link #1098
tuckersister

Sota and Magane are very different but little similar (despite personality). In fact, they are both liars. But Sota lies to hide his guilt and pain and Magane lies for amusement and self interest. Looking forward to AltairVSMamika and Sota's/Magane's "date".

FYI: Magane sound like "glasses" in JP despite different spelling, which coincidentally is wore by Sota. Maybe it's nothing.
tuckersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 14:58   Link #1099
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Typical anime pairings would make me pair Sota with Selesia, but man, Meteora is such good waifu material; she easily is my favorite character in this series =03. The way she gently placed Souta's hand on her palm and looked at him with a smile and said we're friends.... HHHNNNGGHHHH~~~~ X03! Up to this point, I think for Souta, all of the people he's dealt with felt like "associates"; kind of like co-workers at your workplace you talk business with, but otherwise don't socialize with. Meteora saying they're friends really feels like a stronger connection, albeit possibly small, has been established between him and her, fanboyism aside. It was rather heartwarming =03.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
Sota is not realistically written. Sure, he's carrying around trauma because he decided to be a shitposter and egg on his one-time bestie to suicide. Sure he doesn't want to talk about it, so he's going to choose death before dishonor ... until it is convenient for the plot.

He can't be bothered to tell Meteora or Celestia his trauma, and that's fine. Annoying as hell, but he's the archetypal spineless MC, so whatever. The problem is that he freely (and loudly ... Magane heard him talking about it from the other side of the cafe) babbles about this horrible trauma that he doesn't want to talk about to Mamika. Worse, it's obvious he tells her everything.

So he proves that he absolutely can talk about this horrible trauma of his, that he doesn't want to talk about. But, he only does it when the plot demands that he does so. That's not a realistic character, but one born of bad writing.
Oh man, you really hit the nail on the head with this one. It just doesn't make sense for him to completely confide in Mamika, but then act like he's talking about someone else when talking to Meteora. Like, wth, he didn't have to say the friends name, but it was so obvious he was talking about himself. Meteora knew that too, but darnit, it just ticked me off when he acted like he did, after she said they were friends. Clearly, the writers f*k'd this one up >=0\....

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 15:24   Link #1100
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
That last scene was so so so sick. Gotta give it up to Troyca's lighting effects and lens flares.

I can't believe Mamika intentionally walked on that landmine. She's finally growing on me, and THIS HAPPENS?! C'mon. I hope Magical Splash Flare isn't just some nuke-level bomb that destroys everything in the vicinity.

I'm curious to see how the show rationalizes creations that die.
Let's just hope Mamika freed Alicetaria's Creator before meeting Altair

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Oh man, you really hit the nail on the head with this one. It just doesn't make sense for him to completely confide in Mamika, but then act like he's talking about someone else when talking to Meteora. Like, wth, he didn't have to say the friends name, but it was so obvious he was talking about himself. Meteora knew that too, but darnit, it just ticked me off when he acted like he did, after she said they were friends. Clearly, the writers f*k'd this one up >=0\....
Actually, when Souta was talking to Meteora about the "example", he slipped for a moment, speaking in first person instead of third person

Also, one thing has been bothering me for a while...how does Altair know of Souta, Setsuna and what happened to her?
She's been shown to know a lot more when compared to other Characters, that start off clueless of their own origins.

Tags
fantasy, mahou shoujo, mecha, sci-fi, summoning