AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-05, 08:25   Link #24121
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
I've just gotten back from a long day at work and a really long drive home, but I noticed something: TK's position that ranged is viable against melee assumes that the Mid-childan is competant.

Which I find deliciously ironic given the general feelings of TSAB incompentance on these boards :P

As for the many circumstances issue, take an F-14D vs a Su-27. The Tomcat outranges the Flanker, but the Flanker is more nimble. Who wins comes down to many fanctors: pilot experience & skill, weapons loadout, maintennance issues, EW support, and a myriad of other elements.

That said, generally speaking, following the Boyd Loop, also known as the OODA Loop (Observation Orientation Decision Action), the guy who wins is not the guy who makes the best decision, but the guy who decides and acts first, forcing his opponent to follow his momentum and rhythm of combat. Thus, using the principles of the OODA loop, it may be possible for a Belkan to gain the upper hand on a Mid; observe Nanoha vs Vita in A's, where Vita was dominating because she was inside Nanoha's OODA loop, forcing Nanoha to keep reacting to her tempo. (First attack is part of OODA too.) Another example would be the first Ivanov vs Fokker duel in Macross Zero, where Ivanov maintained the upper hand and his tempo on Fokker.

and that's all for my short post, I'll do a more longer one later.
Pertinent point.

Although I'll clarify a little on the incompetence issue:

Although there are some of us who think that way, I and I'm sure some others I daresay believe that the underlying reason for that is 7ARCS screwing around and making the TSAB so way pathetic, I'm quite given those words they use to describe the awesome skill of others, either the TSAB have a drastically different dictionary from us, OR they are somewhere near that bad.

I like the OODA loop, reminds me of something in dogfighting theory. Never heard of it till now though...In my view thought and planning is also part and parcel, and sometimes can override the idea of the tempo and flow of combat, while it is important...

All the same-

*assimilates useful data*

I note with some amusement my stupidity in not having included a synopsis, foreword, AND introduction into an OC FILLED FANFIC on the FANFIC thread. I am such a bloody genius, yes?

Of course not. I'm re-releasing once I get up the time to do what I said I'd do.

Geh.
Old 2008-05-05, 08:43   Link #24122
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

With regards to the OODA loop and something you heard in dogfighting theory, it's probably the OODA loop, also known as the Boyd Loop after the name of the guy who created it, USAF Col. John Boyd. Before anyone dismisses it out of hand, it's worth noting that Boyd was a hotshot fighter pilot, a Korean War vet, and an instructor at Nellis, who freqently bet his students and opponents that from a position of weakness and disadvantage, he could turn the tables on any challenger and defeat him in 42 seconds. He tended to win most of those bets.

Still working on longass breaker.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-05-05, 08:49   Link #24123
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997

Little video snippet with a bit about the Loop as well.

Old 2008-05-05, 08:56   Link #24124
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Seriously, can't a man study in peace?!

*puts on mask*

Ore wa, Cleric... I begin intervention of overblown militarism with TESLA-CHAN!!! <3

Ware no FANSERVISU GRENEDO tatani mono nashi!
Old 2008-05-05, 09:04   Link #24125
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post

*puts on mask*

Ore wa, Cleric... I begin intervention of overblown militarism with TESLA-CHAN!!! <3

You disgrace to the name Cleric, there you go again.

Now Keroko's going to have something to say about this
Old 2008-05-05, 09:17   Link #24126
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

@TK: watching vid.

Also, this is directed at everyone who keeps using visual references of anime to support arguments on Nanoverse: Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle: there is a limit on our ability to observe reality with accuracy.

My point here is that as there is already a limit on our ability to observe reality with accuracy, what more fiction? And it was Boyd who summed this principle in this manner.

EDIT: And before more people take this a crapload more seriously than they should, my whole intentions here are simply to point out that there is a limit to observe the nanoverse with accuracy. We can make assumptions and guesses, but in the end we're limited by the medium of animation.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2008-05-05 at 09:33.
Old 2008-05-05, 09:48   Link #24127
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Or do like Goose suggested some days ago in IRC "Don't think about it too much."
Old 2008-05-05, 10:21   Link #24128
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Oh my head, it bloody hurts.

Crack + Melee/Range discussions for the 576367th time (( not restricted to Nanohaverse )) + Khrack + Comacrack + more crack. At this rate, I'm going to have 30 pages of backlog to plow through. -_- (( thankfully I'm nowhere near Aaron's post-by-post decimation level ))

The question of range vs melee brings about the question of how Mid vs Belka is portrayed though. To be quite honest, the show restricts itself on the boundaries of such things, and even when done, it's not like we see Deed tap-dancing to Vice's sniper shots. We've never seen all layers of each element in clash with one another, but the general idea stays in dependence on who the particular issue reflects. Over-specialization does hurt though. Taking Tk's baseball analogy into account, as fast as a pitcher can pitch, if he's only got fastballs, he's not going to last unless playing closer. It's not an iron curtain society in Mid where one style reflects their entire culture.

And Sailor Senshi? Please, we don't need planet destroyers in Nanohaverse. Each one of the upper-tier Senshis are the highest levels of Lost Logia on their own.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2008-05-05, 10:30   Link #24129
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Argh too tired screw breaker, I'll do it tomorrow night.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-05-05, 10:45   Link #24130
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
@TK: watching vid.

Also, this is directed at everyone who keeps using visual references of anime to support arguments on Nanoverse: Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle: there is a limit on our ability to observe reality with accuracy.
Has nothing what so fucking ever to do with what you’re trying to use it for; you fail.
Quote:
My point here is that as there is already a limit on our ability to observe reality with accuracy, what more fiction? And it was Boyd who summed this principle in this manner.
If Nanoha happened to be a sub-atomic quantum particle then indeed we would be limited, but she isn’t and this principle has jack all to do with the discussion. Yeah we can't know everything, but we can know plenty and we sure as hell can't go ignoring what we see in favor of some totally baseless and contradictory interpretation becasue we happen to like it better.

Keroko's "argument" was basiclly "Nanoha magic is fast so even though we SEE it moving slow since Nanoha magic is fast it must have really been going fast in spite of evidence to the contrary since after all Nanoha magic is fast." That's circular logic at it's finest and most outrageous. This has nothing to do with limits of observation it's simply flat out horrible reasoning riddled logical fallacies.

Old 2008-05-05, 10:50   Link #24131
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Argh too tired screw breaker, I'll do it tomorrow night.
This should be an accurate description of a backlog

Spoiler:
Old 2008-05-05, 11:08   Link #24132
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

You know Tk, I just realized... if you really are right and Nanohaverse magic does not succumb to animation techniques, and the speed we see is indeed what we get, then that renders all your arguments about Mid's range defeating Belka's melee contradictionary.

After all, if the attacks don't even reach baseball speeds, then that makes them pretty much useless beyond anything but throwing distance.

Not to mention physics defying...

Anyway, my standpoint is hardly what you described. My standpoint is that there is a severe difference in speed where Nanoha combat is concerned. What seems slow in one scene, suddenly seems fast in the next. Actions that look slow up close are blindingly fast from a distance. These fluctuations in speed, both in magical and physical combat, are presented on screen. Both count as 'evidence' as you put it. Yet which one is the true speed? I prefer to choose the fast speed for several reasons, one among them being that it increases the awesomness factor of Nanoha combat severalfold. The other being that the slow moving combat can be explained, while the fast moving can't (or at least, I've never heard of people doing a reverse-slow effect. Maybe for comedic purposes, but not for action). And lastly, there is even a reason for those interested in applying the Laws of Physics: It also explains just why seemingly slow moving attacks can do damage they should not be able to at their speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post

Spoiler:
Just like Tetris, it never ends. :3

Quote:

*puts on mask*

*saves*

Last edited by Keroko; 2008-05-05 at 12:59.
Old 2008-05-05, 11:26   Link #24133
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodius Trueheart View Post
Spoiler for Alejandro De Sevilla:
Good... good!

Only a few things I have to correct...

Spoiler for Correction proposals:

Ah yes... It's been a while since I was able to do something like this. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
You know... with the bad translation of A's 3, it got me wondering just what Chrono was saying when he described the Belka style. The subs say 'A magic which focusses on confrontational combat over long distance and wide area attacks' but that would be a description of Mid style combat.
That's what I thought the first time I saw it.

My private subtitle correction work idled there for some time until I decidet to leave things as they are...

Maybe I should have asked a friend of mine what they say, back then... he don't need subtitles... the lucky bastard! xD

Quote:

*puts on mask*

I'm suprised... first time I see a picture here that I have already on my hard drive for a long time.
Old 2008-05-05, 11:34   Link #24134
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
And Sailor Senshi? Please, we don't need planet destroyers in Nanohaverse. Each one of the upper-tier Senshis are the highest levels of Lost Logia on their own.
Where are you getting the idea that I'm porting a Senshi, Night? I've said a few times now that that's not my intention.

Kenno Rioko is a Steel Mage, a Rare Skill concept I've been trying to hash out in IRC which amounts to a limited form of tracing (no skill inheritance, and simple objects or masses of metal only) coupled with some manipulation of the physical properties of metallic objects (reshaping swords, turning metal into a liquid without heating it, and of course a Rumble Detonator knock-off) and a limited form of absorption and redirection of elemental attacks. Rio's got Venus's fuku, a few of her attacks, and a variation on her personality, so at worst she's a port of the anime version of Minako, not the "eats planets for lunch" manga-canon Eternal Sailor Venus.

Really Night, after the month or two that I've been here, do you really think I'm stupid enough to port a planet-killer without really significant nerfing?

...Goose, TK, don't answer that.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-05-05, 11:40   Link #24135
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Really Night, after the month or two that I've been here, do you really think I'm stupid enough to port a planet-killer without really significant nerfing?

Yes you would. :3

Hey, you didn't mention me, right?

*runs*
Old 2008-05-05, 11:42   Link #24136
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

*Sigh*

I guess I had that one coming. 10 points for Kero.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-05-05, 11:53   Link #24137
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post

Spoiler:
Sadly appropriate. -_- *Me despairs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
Has nothing what so fucking ever to do with what you’re trying to use it for; you fail.
I was using Boyd's interpretation of it, which by your statements above would tend to suggest that this principle has nothing to do with air combat; funny then that it's listed as part of where Boyd got his foundation for his theories on air combat which he refined into the OODA loop. (Besides, if following Boyd's inferences is fail, doesn't that make him as fail as me?[/smartass])

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia article on Boyd
Boyd inferred the following from each of these theories:

* Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem: any logical model of reality is incomplete (and possibly inconsistent) and must be continuously refined/adapted in the face of new observations.
* Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle: there is a limit on our ability to observe reality with accuracy.
* Second Law of Thermodynamics: The entropy of any closed system always tends to increase, and thus the nature of any given system is continuously changing even as efforts are directed toward maintaining it in its original form.
Relating this to Nanoverse: Part 1 is self-explanatory, I think. Which we've been doing for ages, what with the constant revisions in expectations of firepower and jacket protection and shit.
Part 2: Applying this to nanoverse, there is a limit on our ability to observe due to the flawed medium of an anime. Not to say that we don't use visual evidence and stuff, but it's more of a recognition and reminder that we're working with a flawed medium here. (And also because I'm pragmatic enough to realise that nobody's gonna stop techtalking anytime soon.)
Part 3: As I understand it he was referring to Energy-Maneuverability theory in practice. And at 12.54 am right now, I can't really see how to apply it to OC or to our understanding of the Nanoverse. Maybe after work tomorrow.

Quote:
If Nanoha happened to be a sub-atomic quantum particle then indeed we would be limited, but she isn’t and this principle has jack all to do with the discussion. Yeah we can't know everything, but we can know plenty and we sure as hell can't go ignoring what we see in favor of some totally baseless and contradictory interpretation becasue we happen to like it better.
And I agree here. I'm simply trying to point out that we're working off a flawed medium here, and everybody needs to remember that.

And you don't have try to observe a sub-atomic quantum particle to be limited in your scope. Take sociological studies. Without actually being able to read people's minds, any observation of human behaviour is limited in accuraccy, especially considering how the Hawthorne Effect and Observer Effect can also skew interviews.

Quote:
Keroko's "argument" was basiclly "Nanoha magic is fast so even though we SEE it moving slow since Nanoha magic is fast it must have really been going fast in spite of evidence to the contrary since after all Nanoha magic is fast." That's circular logic at it's finest and most outrageous. This has nothing to do with limits of observation it's simply flat out horrible reasoning riddled logical fallacies.
TK, I'm not talking about horrible reasoning and logical fallacies. I'm simply trying to point out the inherent flaws in trying to overexamine the anime. (That and rolling my eyes at both of you.)

Incidentally, while Mid has a fairly strong advantage in flight and the open, I'm surprised no one's talking about closed spaces. And I'd like to remind alls that whether the mid user fires while on the move or stops and shoots might well depend on his/her branch; excepting the Nakajima sisters and Tea, I can't think of any other GF mages who shoot on the move; it's possible that AF trains to shoot and move, but not GF. *shrug* We know that shooting and moving is possible, so the only explanation is that either they need to remain stationary to cast spells or it's a training/tradition issue.

Ah, whatever. I've said my piece. I've tried to point out that this is all ultimately futile, in a subtle and not point blank manner, but meh. Now I'm going to go and sleep; I have more important things to worry about like how I'm gonna survive 4 weeks until my next paycheck on enough cash for 1 week.

Quote:
You know Tk, I just realized... if you really are right and Nanohaverse magic does not succumb to animation techniques, and the speed we see is indeed what we get, then that renders all your arguments about Mid's range defeating Belka's melee contradictionary.

After all, if the attacks don't even reach baseball speeds, then that makes them pretty much useless beyond anything but throwing distance.
And then you get things like this deleted scene from Joint Training:
Spoiler for JT Silliness:

Admittedly this is silly. But the possibilities! Magical Girl Baseball Nanoha! (In the original, Franz actually cut the magical round in half and was treated to a point-blank detonation of destabilized mana. And yes it should be obvious that by the tone I'm going for lulz.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post

AbareGoose:Yes. You would. And you said nothing about my Abare Mode, which is the mode that bites your head off.

Argh Keroko beat me to it.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-05-05, 12:17   Link #24138
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
Time for a breaker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
It's not that I took a break... it's just that with this trip, I thought I wasn't going to have access to internet. Turns out that wasn't quite true
Silly, Lowe. The internet is everywhere. It's just a matter of figuring out how to get it for free

Quote:
Hai!

*RUNS*
*cracks whip*

Quote:
Apparently it was a random a-hole who just found the channel and decided to ruin our lives for their entertainment

Though we can't rule out the possibility that it's someone who's been lurking in these forums for a while now
No matter where you go there's always some a-hole out there to spoil everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamott99 View Post
Could it be an /a/sshole? As in the -chan variety?
I'd think it be more of the /b/ variety.

Quote:
Soooo who wants to read my long ass spiel about Electronic Warfare in Nanoha and my prototype character for the specialization?

*crickets can be heard*

Well screw you I'm posting it anyway prepare to be buried under an avalanche of technical and tactical jargon maggots!

First off we have an 3,000 word in character essay as a primer!
Spoiler for Tactical Babble GO!:

That was fun to ready wasn't it?!

That was some explanation there, TK. And a very interesting read it was.

Quote:
Now let's see how we can apply all this wonderful tactical theory can be applied to a character!

Spoiler for Rebecca Keller:
Ooo....TK has a new OC . Definitely a dangerous person to have around the battlefield as well as on base

Quote:
Also, she likes giving people make-overs? Any particular targets in mind?
*reads profile again*

*hides his OC*

Quote:
Argh I meant Rebecca. -_- And brown hair can be cute And in a book I read, "How to Draw Manga", it stated that when drawing boobs, boobs tend to appear bigger when they're hanging down, so Rebecca's got 2 things going for her: gravity pulling them down and her puffing her chest out.... and I'll shut up now.

*me RUNS(

*shoots Goose with several tranq darts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Dynasty View Post
Man all this debate is giving me mixed feelings about my OC now, since he's pretty much pure melee.

Curse you! Curse you aaaalllll!
I'm sure he'll be fine . Don't mind all the talk and make sure that he isn't haxx. That should be your biggest concern

Hmmm...I think Evangeline only has one range-ish ability now that I think about it...

Quote:
Also, on a different note, I've been rewatching Angelic Layer lately, and I'm hereby reserving Hikaru for future projects. I'm not sure what I'm ging to use her for yet, but I'll let the ideas simmer for a while before drawing conclusions.

Well this should be interesting. Now the question is a full-sized person or a Unison Device-type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
MC0071, four years before Strikers. Four years after nanoha got poked by a Type-4. That and ep 6 suggests that that's their "history" with Jail prior to StrikerS.
That was quite a 'poke' then

Quote:
I'm calling that a justified reason to be tied down. :3
I'll have to second that

Quote:
It's very new technology, osmething unheard of in StrikerS. The Articular Device is essentially Midchilda's take on the Unison Device, but emphasizing more towards being a magical assistant that is less reliant on the Mage and more autonomous as it has special capacitors implemented to its own mana processor (NOTE: this limited modification only allows it to function like a Linker Core, but it is still dependent somewhat on mage's mana pool). Basically, for when Reinforce II was acting as Hayate's No.2 instead of being unisoned.

This would allow mages to have robotic assistants while no flouting the rules, allowing mages to be less distracted by command, control and communication issues and stay focused on the field. The Articular Device also possessed some combat capacity, and thus functions as a secondary spell platform.

In the future, the TSAB will begin subtly converting Earth's population to become familiar to incarnations of magic, and thus preparing the ground for a possible transition to Administration. One of the approaches was the embedding of magical technologies in everyday life, and the Articular Device was developed based on the amazing technical genius of one Mihara Ichiro. Technology for the devices, codenamed "Angels", as well as the arcane field projectors, codenamed "Layers", were leaked to the 97th development team under close observation.

As the Device had become an toy, it was soon the preferred secondary device for the several counter-Logia First RespONse Teams (FRONTs) embedded in the population, Nanoka included. This was because the Device could be carried and operated in plain-sight and yet be dismissed as nothing out of the ordinary. The toy also allowed the TSAB to discover budding mages very quickly, and reel them in.

The year is MC 0093. With the Arrancar incident settled, the Wind Squad could refocus on the most unlikely champion that emerge from the device arenas: one unassuming Misaki, and her latent Articular Device Hikaru. It was to be a routine recognition and recruitment mission, but something intervenes. Fingers point to the Piffle Princess Group, the 97th conglomerate that introduced the Devices on the TSAB's behalf. While the TSAB is certain that they are in the dark of things, the girls of the Wind Squad think otherwise.

As they break down each obstacle with overwhelming friendship and firepower, there would be no clue as to what awaits them, on the truth of the 97th's magical dearth, on the origins of magic, on the ugly face of a long-chilled revenge, on the other side of the Looking Glass...

Wind 01 Captain Subaru Nakajima
"There's a tale my grandfather told me..."

Wind 02 2nd Lieutenant Vivio Takamachi
"It's so... familiar..."

Wind 03 Lance Corporal Teresa Testarossa
"I'm the daughter of a half-cyborg and a superclone. You're saying it's weirder than me?!"

Wind 04 Private Moriyama Nanoka
"But this is...!"

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoka
~Kagami no Naka Ni~

The biggest conspiracy in human history will now be revealed...

???: ...keikakudoori...

...wtf did I just do?!

Ah yeah...

*ahem*

KKKKKKKKKKKKKHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
And I certainly don't hope they encounter little Keroko and her Angel Tesla. Oh, the paradoxes.
Wait...WHAT?!

Quote:

*saves*
Lol

Quote:

Admittedly this is silly. But the possibilities! Magical Girl Baseball Nanoha! (In the original, Franz actually cut the magical round in half and was treated to a point-blank detonation of destabilized mana. And yes it should be obvious that by the tone I'm going for lulz.)
*facepalm*

Though then again in Kamen Rider Kabuto Kabuto managed to knock back Rider Shooting with Rider Kick
Old 2008-05-05, 13:09   Link #24139
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:

I'll admit I've been toying with the idea as well, if onlky for the lulz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion Xgouki View Post
Well this should be interesting. Now the question is a full-sized person or a Unison Device-type
That's one of the things I'm debating. Concidering the size of her original, you'd hink she'd make a great unision device. But Hikaru's main atractive point is her combat style. I'd feel guilty putting her to mana regulation duty. T_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion Xgouki View Post
Wait...WHAT?!
Oh, you didn't know? There are Keroko's in just about any anime universe I like. The Keroko in Angelic Layer is a bright and cheerfull person who's had her share of wins and losses (her record is not as spotless as her canon compatriots) so she doesn't mind losing that much. Funny thing, due to her angels abillity to manupulate electricity, she can actually hold her ground her ground against Ohjiro fairly well.
Old 2008-05-05, 13:30   Link #24140
LimitedEternal
Nuclear Fusion

Quote:

*puts on mask*

O_O

*imagines that pic is indeed Tesla*

*imagines Tesla's reaction to this picture*

*nose explodes*
Closed Thread