AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-01, 09:59   Link #61
Dark Wing

I really believe this will create a great chance for both Yuri and Kanade to become friends if they can keep from killing each other...
Old 2010-05-01, 10:20   Link #62
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

In case anyone is wondering, I'll add Tenshi's name to the thread's title in a few days, just to give people some time to watch episode 5.
Old 2010-05-01, 10:41   Link #63
farios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
In case anyone is wondering, I'll add Tenshi's name to the thread's title in a few days, just to give people some time to watch episode 5.
Actually i dont think thats necessary most people knows her as "Angel" not "Tachibana Kanade", and giving her name ballantly in the title is pretty much a spoiler for everyone that is new in here, of course you may do whatever you want
Old 2010-05-01, 13:18   Link #64
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by farios View Post
Actually i dont think thats necessary most people knows her as "Angel" not "Tachibana Kanade", and giving her name ballantly in the title is pretty much a spoiler for everyone that is new in here, of course you may do whatever you want
Actually I have to agree. Her symbolic name is probably more fitting for this thread. Although on the other hand, somebody who's only just started watching wouldn't know who Tachibana Kanade is until they've watched episode five anyhow. Either way, people should know better than to look at non-episodic discussion before they've watched the most recent episode.

Mostly, I just think having it be a Tenshi discussion is cooler. I always thought "Angel" was a cute and fitting nickname for her, especially since the most recent episode.

Edit: Yay!

Last edited by Traece; 2010-05-01 at 13:31. Reason: Boycott Succeeds
Old 2010-05-01, 13:24   Link #65
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

I have no problems in leaving Tenshi either. And I wasn't proposing a change but rather an addition, as in "Tenshi (...)" , since from the posts I've been reading today, 8 out of 10 seem to prefer addressing her Kanade. However that's really a minor minor issue, not even worthy discussing further than this. Thread's name won't change
Old 2010-05-01, 14:37   Link #66
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Well we don't know that for sure.... yet. Actually it would be more interesting if she continues to be against the SSS activities, since the Yuri vs. Kanade thing seems to be one of the backbones of the story.
more like yuri vs the god's servant tenshi (what yuri thought she was) as an act of rebel by yuripe to god.

it is one big misunderstanding when it turns out that tenshi are just normal human, stuck in the same world but have different perspective than yuri, she might thought that yuri are the bad guys, while yuri think the other way around.

But if kanade is just a normal human being, i cant imagine how lonely she is sigh .. then again it might be due to her attitude like the one in episode 1 that get her to that situation (stabbing someone in the chest when they ask her "am i really dead?" is not exactly a friendly handshake)
Old 2010-05-01, 14:56   Link #67
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
it is one big misunderstanding when it turns out that tenshi are just normal human, stuck in the same world but have different perspective than yuri, she might thought that yuri are the bad guys, while yuri think the other way around.

But if kanade is just a normal human being, i cant imagine how lonely she is sigh .. then again it might be due to her attitude like the one in episode 1 that get her to that situation (stabbing someone in the chest when they ask her "am i really dead?" is not exactly a friendly handshake)
She definitely doesn't feel this way. In fact she acknowledges herself in episode 3 that everybody seems to think she is the "bad guy."

As far as being lonely, I'd say she's probably lonely but obviously not so lonely that she wishes she had lots of friends. Really she seems to be more the kind of person who can suffice with a little bit of conversation from time to time. Either that, or she feels that any friends she has among the NPCs are sufficient enough to sustain her need for interaction with others. As far as stabbing Otonashi goes, as Yurippe said, he was asking for it. One of her duties may be (either as council president, or just as a human) that she helps people to understand their position. Sure, stabbing him was a bit harsh, but she definitely got the point across. Otonashi doesn't really seem to mind this anymore either. Besides, I think the SSS have probably killed him more times than she has.
Old 2010-05-01, 15:10   Link #68
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
She definitely doesn't feel this way. In fact she acknowledges herself in episode 3 that everybody seems to think she is the "bad guy."

As far as being lonely, I'd say she's probably lonely but obviously not so lonely that she wishes she had lots of friends. Really she seems to be more the kind of person who can suffice with a little bit of conversation from time to time. Either that, or she feels that any friends she has among the NPCs are sufficient enough to sustain her need for interaction with others. As far as stabbing Otonashi goes, as Yurippe said, he was asking for it. One of her duties may be (either as council president, or just as a human) that she helps people to understand their position. Sure, stabbing him was a bit harsh, but she definitely got the point across. Otonashi doesn't really seem to mind this anymore either. Besides, I think the SSS have probably killed him more times than she has.
She acknowledges everyone seems to think she is the bad guy, but did she think that herself? she might think that she is a heroine that was misunderstood (hence why she said "it seems like i am the bad one")

Well otonashi didn't ask to be stabbed, all he ask was am i really dead? heck will you even stab someone that just asked you "am i dead ?" i would surely tell him/her that yes you are dead, but if he/she demanded to show some proof, then i will tell him what i will do before proceeding to stab him to death, you get my point? ;D it was tenshi's attitude that was wrong, heck maybe that is why SSS think she is a robot or something like that
Old 2010-05-01, 15:28   Link #69
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
Well otonashi didn't ask to be stabbed, all he ask was am i really dead? heck will you even stab someone that just asked you "am i dead ?" i would surely tell him/her that yes you are dead, but if he/she demanded to show some proof, then i will tell him what i will do before proceeding to stab him to death, you get my point? ;D it was tenshi's attitude that was wrong, heck maybe that is why SSS think she is a robot or something like that
"Then prove it! Prove to me that I wont die since I'm already dead..." "I was watching, but really, you brought that upon yourself. If you ask Tenshi to prove that you can't die, then of course she'll skewer you right through the heart."

Best way to prove it to somebody is to show them isn't it? I suppose a warning may have been nice, but altogether, he was a bit irate over the subject. I'm not going to warn him when he's yelling at me.
Old 2010-05-01, 15:35   Link #70
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
"Then prove it! Prove to me that I wont die since I'm already dead..." "I was watching, but really, you brought that upon yourself. If you ask Tenshi to prove that you can't die, then of course she'll skewer you right through the heart."

Best way to prove it to somebody is to show them isn't it? I suppose a warning may have been nice, but altogether, he was a bit irate over the subject. I'm not going to warn him when he's yelling at me.
my bad just watched it again, and yea otonashi seems a bit desperate looking for proof
Old 2010-05-01, 16:17   Link #71
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

my new favorite character from this show.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-05-02, 00:58   Link #72
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Yes, she has become my favorite character too. She can tolerate alot, and she can be pretty cute as well.
Old 2010-05-02, 01:12   Link #73
Ekureiru
神さま、ありがとう!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Ekureiru Send a message via MSN to Ekureiru
Otonashi is the only character who seems to possess an empathy chip. Plus, Tenshi's behavior towards him is far more civil than the behavior towards the rest of the SSS.

I wonder where her relationship with them will go now that she was 'dismissed'

Ekureiru - An entity commonly recognized by many as being on par with gods.
Last.fm | MyAnimeList | Pettanko Fansubs | Now with a degree in Yanderekology.
Old 2010-05-02, 01:34   Link #74
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekureiru View Post
Otonashi is the only character who seems to possess an empathy chip. Plus, Tenshi's behavior towards him is far more civil than the behavior towards the rest of the SSS.

I wonder where her relationship with them will go now that she was 'dismissed'
You need to factor in the fact that he's also new, thus the influence of Yuri's opinion has yet to really stick.
Old 2010-05-02, 03:07   Link #75
Roardel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
You need to factor in the fact that he's also new, thus the influence of Yuri's opinion has yet to really stick.
Yes, since Otonashi is newcomer, he's able to show empathy on her. Other members have been attacked by Tenshi so many times, so they can't be tolerant to her.

Anyway, she becomes more familiar to me after her real name was revealed. Kanade, lovely Kanade.
Old 2010-05-02, 03:09   Link #76
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Kanade is only introduced later on in the series.

Tenshi should be left in the title for those who have not yet reached the 5th episode.
Old 2010-05-02, 10:05   Link #77
night_sentinel

Tenshi, Student Council President ... Tachibana Kanade

Since, we are talking about Tenshi’s name, I think we should keep Tenshi as the title for the sub-forum instead of Tachibana Kanade. Besides being spoiler friendly, it is the name we are used to calling her as and first impression lasts. Right now, even knowing her real name I can’t help but call her Tenshi somewhere in my head. Or perhaps it’s just her character design that screams Tenshi? ^^

Beside this, I think that Kanade is someone that is very much defined by the role that she plays whether unwittingly or not. She has conformed to her role so well that the characters have difficulty seeing her as something else. For example:

1. The SSS - Even with the SSS knowing her real name they continue to refer to her as Tenshi.
2. The student body – I have not heard a single character say her real name in the novel and all five episode of the anime before Otonashi asked her name. Perhaps to the rest of the school and even the teachers she is the Student Council President.

It is even possible that Kanade has encouraged this, as we could see when she introduced herself she referred to herself as the Student Council President, she did not give her real name just the name of the position she holds. Furthermore, reading the first part of the novel, Hinata also met her and after that meeting she is known to him as the Student Council President no mention of her name. I don’t believe that Kanade deliberately concealed her name, she will tell you her name if you asked nicely like Otonashi ; it’s more like she thinks of herself as the Student Council President first and as a person second. This shows that she is passionate about her job and would most likely do what is best for the student and the school even at the cost of her personal happiness.
I think this also is the cause of Kanade’s apparent loneliness, it is very hard to have a personal relationship even with the NPC (normal students) when you’re interaction is on official basis. Case in point:

Kanade helps someone with his homework.
Student A: Thank you very much, you’re a very kind person !!! If there anything I can do...
Kanade: No need for thanks. I’m only doing my job. (then goes to help another student)

Beside that, after reading the first part of the novel I think Kanade deliberately allowed herself to be the target for anyone that rebels so that no one could get hurt. This if proven true would mean that she has no time for a social life since her life actively revolves around being the Student Council President and why she was perhaps crushed when she is no longer one.

Last edited by night_sentinel; 2010-05-02 at 10:09. Reason: corrections I suppose
Old 2010-05-02, 12:10   Link #78
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roardel View Post
Yes, since Otonashi is newcomer, he's able to show empathy on her. Other members have been attacked by Tenshi so many times, so they can't be tolerant to her.

Anyway, she becomes more familiar to me after her real name was revealed. Kanade, lovely Kanade.
Here's an interesting thought:
Does Kanade ever attack anybody unprovoked?
Old 2010-05-02, 12:33   Link #79
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
I dont know what knowing her name early could spoil. Up to when you learn it, there isnt any speculation on how it may impact the story. Its more like an open secret. I know people have their preferences, so I dont care either way.

Last edited by alu546; 2010-05-02 at 14:00.
Old 2010-05-02, 12:34   Link #80
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Here's an interesting thought:
Does Kanade ever attack anybody unprovoked?
She will attack if your action may threaten the school, students or teachers also