AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-11-23, 16:33   Link #301
White Manju Bun
Born to make history
*Author

The only thing I can focus on is the poor dog, oh my god please don't pull another vicchan
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-23, 17:17   Link #302
Dop
Mmmm....

I really loved the bit with Yurio and his granddad, the old car and all the detail in it, and how nice it is to see Yurio being himself and out of 'angsty teenager' mode.

Mickey is a total siscon, and JJ is totally full of himself.

But yes, the early scene of Maccachin drooling at the sight of the buns led me to think this might be the setup for a comic aside, and was I ever wrong.

Pull through Maccachin!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-23, 18:07   Link #303
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die

Wait, all of these new skaters are not over 21? good lord, has puberty hit them quick!

Mickey's relationship with his sister is hilariously close. I don't blame him for it, though; she's nice. Speaking of nice girls, when will Mila get a chance to skate?!\

And JJ's song reminded me of "The Killers - When You Were Young."
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-23, 18:45   Link #304
chi4ko
Astronaut

I really liked how Yuri acted all bossy to intimidate the audience that obviously despises him for taking Victor away from skating. You have guts, boy.
Old 2016-11-23, 19:23   Link #305
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Maccachin!!! You will pull through, boy! Or cities will burn!!! No seriously, if they do anything to the dog, I will seriously downgrade my opinion of this series.

JJ...he is the most un-Canadian Canadian I have ever seen. Do these producers know what a typical Canadian is like?

First we have BL not-so-subtle undertones and now siscon/incest undertones...this series doesn't hold back does it?

Well Yurio, I'm not surprised your Grandpa wasn't there...not after you broke his back like that. At first, I expected Yurio to get a phone call about his Grandpa in the hospital...totally didn't expect what happened to Maccachin.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-24, 00:23   Link #306
Wandering Soul

Maccachin will make it, won't he?

Yurio's scene with his grandfather was nice and I hope his grandfather can make it to the tournament.

This series already has some blatant yaoi undertones, so I'm not surprised that they added incest undertones as well
Old 2016-11-24, 02:56   Link #307
zztop

Some ice skating trivia from Reddit:
- JJ is likely based on Canadian skater Patrick Chan.
-Young Viktor's costume and rose crown is a direct reference to US skater Johnny Weir.
https://twitter.com/soukatsu_/status/798956344678215680
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-24, 03:10   Link #308
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
Some ice skating trivia from Reddit:
- JJ is likely based on Canadian skater Patrick Chan.
-Young Viktor's costume and rose crown is a direct reference to US skater Johnny Weir.
https://twitter.com/soukatsu_/status/798956344678215680
JJ is based on Michal Brezina, actually:

https://twitter.com/Liuwdere/status/801522573200805889

JJ's personality is nothing like Patrick's, at least, not as far as I know.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
- Is the guy doing the voiceover during Hot Springs on Ice the guy who actually does it for real skating?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
That's what I heard but I haven't seen it confirmed.

Here's a tweet
showing Taihei Katou (announcer who works for Asahi TV) getting ready to cover GP France in 2014. Katou is second from left, and choreographer Kenji Miyamoto is on the right.

They also got another announcer/commentator, former figure skater Takeshi Honda, in for episode 1.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2016-11-24 at 03:55.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-24, 04:57   Link #309
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post

Speaking of his puppy crush on Yuuko, it began because she coached him in skating, in teaching him, protecting him and giving him pointers (and the person who has taken the baton now is Viktor). All his memories about her and why she became important in his life are linked to skating, nothing outside it (he doesn't even meet her again outside the skating rink, just saying). This isn't to diminish his former infatuation, what I mean is that Yuuri's emotional development and his skating aspiration and dream have always been linked. He seems to form these bonds or start his affection because of his athlete's passion. His love for skating, in other words, has always been the main focus of the development of his arc, and his relationships serve to polish his career.
So what you're saying is he's a skat-o-sexual .

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-24, 06:07   Link #310
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master

Or very passionated by his craft, with Viktor as his Muse, or at least his Jesus. There is people like that.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-24, 16:31   Link #311
HalethTO

I'm trying to figure out why poor Makkachin's life-threatening case is not getting me worked up, especially given that I lost my own beloved girl in September. It was and is deeply painful, so you think I'd be on the floor rn. Maybe because I know of several other dogs who passed on since then (that is this sin't the first time I've been reminded), or because I suspect in a sports-comedy they won't "go there"? Maybe both. Certainly this is a callback to ep1 and Vicchan and they are "fixing" that situation by making sure V will be there (or so I assume), but also I suspect M will be OK in the end. I do love all the callbacks; they make this show even more satisfying.

It's just odd to see people so upset while I'm so calm about it. I almost felt relieved when they had that little image of M in the endtitle that whimpered, like yes, he'll be OK.
HalethTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-24, 16:38   Link #312
HalethTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
So what you're saying is he's a skat-o-sexual .
Heh!

Actually, that's an attitude like Sherlock in the BBC series: romance and sex are tied to "The Work". The writers have made that link clear since season1. Someone outside of the Work (here, skating) doesn't have a chance. Moreover, the Work is a vehicle to growth once you find the right person: John, in Sherlock's case, Viktor in Yuuri's.
Old 2016-11-24, 18:08   Link #313
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Close to the end of the episode, when I was about to complain on the lack of Gerogi to entertain me... JJ begins his program. Then Miyano begin to talk none stop.

OMG, I always want to slap Miyano so hard! And he now voice a slap worth character too? I am soooo cracked up. Oh, and he likely well show up in the finals too! How assuring to know that he'll stay to entertain me more!

But Maccachin... you must make it Maccachin!!
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-24, 21:39   Link #314
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Maccachin!!! You will pull through, boy! Or cities will burn!!! No seriously, if they do anything to the dog, I will seriously downgrade my opinion of this series.

JJ...he is the most un-Canadian Canadian I have ever seen. Do these producers know what a typical Canadian is like?

First we have BL not-so-subtle undertones and now siscon/incest undertones...this series doesn't hold back does it?

Well Yurio, I'm not surprised your Grandpa wasn't there...not after you broke his back like that. At first, I expected Yurio to get a phone call about his Grandpa in the hospital...totally didn't expect what happened to Maccachin.
Why some many meatbuns as an offering? That's what I'd like to know. You'd think one or 2 would suffice.
Old 2016-11-25, 00:43   Link #315
SleepingTerror
inanimate dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalethTO View Post
I'm trying to figure out why poor Makkachin's life-threatening case is not getting me worked up, especially given that I lost my own beloved girl in September. It was and is deeply painful, so you think I'd be on the floor rn. Maybe because I know of several other dogs who passed on since then (that is this sin't the first time I've been reminded), or because I suspect in a sports-comedy they won't "go there"? Maybe both. Certainly this is a callback to ep1 and Vicchan and they are "fixing" that situation by making sure V will be there (or so I assume), but also I suspect M will be OK in the end. I do love all the callbacks; they make this show even more satisfying.

It's just odd to see people so upset while I'm so calm about it. I almost felt relieved when they had that little image of M in the endtitle that whimpered, like yes, he'll be OK.
My cat died also recently. This isn't working me up either. I think it's because Viktor himself did not seem devastated or even worried to hear the news (or did he? Not sure if Yuri even told him why).
Old 2016-11-25, 09:37   Link #316
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTerror View Post
My cat died also recently. This isn't working me up either. I think it's because Viktor himself did not seem devastated or even worried to hear the news (or did he? Not sure if Yuri even told him why).
I think we can safely assume that Yuri told him why off-screen.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-25, 16:53   Link #317
chi4ko
Astronaut

The car Yurio's grandad drives is probably Moskvitch 444.

Old 2016-11-26, 03:41   Link #318
HalethTO

Quote:
We clearly miss part of Yuuri and Viktor's conversation that has clearly turned to an argument by the time V sees Yakov. So that information was shared, we just don't get to see it. We see V looking quite worried (he's clearly deeply torn between conflicting loyalties) before he catches sight of Yakov as well. Viktor's not bawling, but if he feels something like I did when facing life-threatening illnesses and deaths of a beloved dog, then internally he's screaming. It's just that most the of time you sort of hold it together on the outside (looking worried or tense) rather than slipping into tears.

I'm sorry for the loss of your cat!
Old 2016-11-26, 04:33   Link #319
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Well, if you turn off the subs, you can get a clear look at Victor's face at that point:

He looks pretty frantic to me...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-26, 05:37   Link #320
Ernietheracefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi4ko View Post
The car Yurio's grandad drives is certainly Moskvitch 444.

As an automotive otaku, I approve this..

BTW, I've marathoning this and it was awesome..

While comparing Tamayura with Aria is more like comparing Vividred with SW.
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
figure skating, sports