AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Old 2007-01-02, 00:42   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Claymore - General Discussion Thread

Production Company: Madhouse

Genre: Action

Expected Release Date: April 2007

The show will be based on its manga counterpart by Norihiro Yagi which is serialized in the monthly Shounen Jump. Reading the synopsis doesn't make this show any more exciting, but the involvement of Madhouse does. Tanaka Hiroyuki is credited as the director whose resume reads he has mostly worked as the animation/assistant director for a few impressive series such as the Gokusen and Shingu. Two of the voice actors listed for the show are Kuwashima Houko as Clare and Paku Romi as Teresa (who also voices Temari in Naruto). The synopsis in the following is taken from AniDB:
The setting of the story is a fictional world of abundant towns where humans coexist with demons called Yoma. These monsters feed on humans as their main source of food, hiding themselves in human society until they strike.

A group of skilled warriors form a nameless organization to protect humans from these demons. These warriors are called Claymores, after their immense Claymore weapons. They willingly infuse themselves with demon flesh and blood to become powerful half-human hybrids. Villages in danger of attack hire warriors from the organisation for protection.

The story of Claymore follows the adventures of the beautiful Claymore warrior Claire, who fights demons and struggles to hold on to her humanity.

Long ago, the Yoma, the shape changing demons, took human form to live in disguise among human society. They feed on human innards, and take possession of memories from the brains of people they eat. These acquired memories help them better disguise themselves within human society.

In recent years, a secret society discovers a way of implanting demon bodies and body parts into humans, to create hybrids more powerful than the original demons. Hybrid`s standard abilities include faster healing, limited shape modification, the ability to detect other demons and hybrids, and overall enhanced physical prowess. Almost all hybrids are created against their will; they are typically survivors of families attacked by demons. The only exception is the lead character, who volunteered to become a hybrid to avenge her family. The society sends hybrids to towns that can afford their fares to kill demons, although not every hybrid does so willingly (this is implied in the manga.) The society is often strict and harsh; hybrids who break the rules risk being hunted down by their fellow hybrids.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-02, 00:51   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A friend of mine just lent me 5 volumes of Claymore last week. I gobbled them down like candy. When I was done I told him it would make an absolutely incredible anime. The char designs, the intensity of their feelings, the incredible battles. It is just made to be animated. You have just made me a happy moderator by passing on this news.

I can't wait to find out who will voice Clare.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-02, 00:59   Link #3
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Read above, NoSanninWa. It's Kuwashima Houko as Clare.

When I heard that Claymore was getting an anime adaption not too long back, I was iinitially excited and worried, as Claymore's pale atmosphere in the manga expressed with it's art style and tone can be oh so easily botched by animation. But seeing Madhouse as the animator eases me a little, as they've proven times that they're very capable in catching the essence of the manga and translating it perfectly, even improving it as animation. Death Note, Monster, Black Lagoon and BECK are some quality examples.

It probably won't have too great of action sequences since Madhouse is still madhousing their animations like there's no tomorrow (( SaiMono 1/2, Death Note, Devil May Cry, etc )) , but hey, who am I to complain?

Edit : Apparenty NoSanninWa did an edit after a reread. :P

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-02, 01:00   Link #4
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Ah. I can't wait to hear Kuwashima Houko's Clare. Personally I imagined Mamiko Noto's gentle, but intense voice for the role. Hopefully I'll like Kuwashima Houko in this part. Thinking of how she portrayed Kirika, it might be very well cast.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-01-02, 01:00   Link #5
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Oh my! If you are saying this, then the show has something to look forward to.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-02, 01:04   Link #6
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

It is an intense and suspenseful action manga with a very intense, very complicated human element. It was just born to be animated. And with 11 volumes out in Japan, the length of this series might be quite decent.

Old 2007-01-02, 01:12   Link #7
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Wow, the summary sounds awesome. And then I see that Paku Romi is in it and now Im offically sold! Sucks we have to wait til April
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-02, 23:23   Link #8
Same_Shark

Can't wait for the anime! Clare looks kinda skinny though.
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 13:11   Link #9
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Ah. I can't wait to hear Kuwashima Houko's Clare. Personally I imagined Mamiko Noto's gentle, but intense voice for the role. Hopefully I'll like Kuwashima Houko in this part. Thinking of how she portrayed Kirika, it might be very well cast.

The few roles i remeber Mamiko Noto doing, i just don't see her as Claire.

When i was reading the reading i had Ayako Kawasumi (Aka Sabre) in my head for Claire's voice. However I also love Kuwashima Houko's work, she has a incredible range of voices.

Claymore has a very berserk like setting. Dark, low magic and very violent. It is also one of the few manga i seen that have severl female characters and doesn't use big boobs to sell.
Old 2007-01-03, 17:56   Link #10
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

I imagine Clare with a very gentle soft voice. That's why Mamiko Noto comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Claymore has a very berserk like setting. Dark, low magic and very violent. It is also one of the few manga i seen that have severl female characters and doesn't use big boobs to sell.
Not "low magic" it is more like NO magic. As for the darkness of the setting, the opening lines of the Bastard OVAs come to mind, "Human beings were miserably inadequate."

Old 2007-01-03, 18:18   Link #11
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
I imagine Clare with a very gentle soft voice. That's why Mamiko Noto comes to mind.

Not "low magic" it is more like NO magic. As for the darkness of the setting, the opening lines of the Bastard OVAs come to mind, "Human beings were miserably inadequate."

There are some magic. If there is no magic the girls wouldn't be able to beat the demons.
Old 2007-01-03, 18:31   Link #12
ashefatal
YOUR secret stalker

Just wondering. Is the manga worth buying? Or is it a borrow from a friend and read their copy? material. It looks interesting from what I read on the internet (is talking about summaries and what not, not scanlations) so I was wondering whether or not to invest in buying the volumes.
ashefatal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 18:44   Link #13
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashefatal View Post
Just wondering. Is the manga worth buying? Or is it a borrow from a friend and read their copy? material. It looks interesting from what I read on the internet (is talking about summaries and what not, not scanlations) so I was wondering whether or not to invest in buying the volumes.
I wouldn't say anything other read it first and decide for yourselve. My taste might not be your taste. I always read a manga first before buying.
Old 2007-01-03, 20:19   Link #14
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Read above, NoSanninWa. It's
It probably won't have too great of action sequences since Madhouse is still madhousing their animations like there's no tomorrow (( SaiMono 1/2, Death Note, Devil May Cry, etc )) , but hey, who am I to complain?
So true. I haven't seen any great action anime (tv series) from Madhouse.
I mean Hajime no Ippo wasn't bad but it didn't have great animation either. Same with Black Lagoon.
Madhouse movies and OVA's on the other hand look spectacular. The lastest 2 movies Toki wa Kakeru Shoujo & Paprika looked awesome.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 23:57   Link #15
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
There are some magic. If there is no magic the girls wouldn't be able to beat the demons.
I don't see any magic involved. I believe that the only thing involved is surgery. It is even possible that the youma are merely awesomely dangerous lifeforms, not magical at all. At least I haven't seen anything yet that screams magic to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashefatal View Post
Just wondering. Is the manga worth buying? Or is it a borrow from a friend and read their copy? material.
I think it is worth buying, but your milage might differ. Borrow a friends and read it. If you like it, then purchase your own copy. That's what I'm doing.

Old 2007-01-04, 02:06   Link #16
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Its action oriented yes the name Claymore says it all . Dumb Q : Is Claymore like Berserk ? Can we expect something in the lines of that
Old 2007-01-04, 02:39   Link #17
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

It has the same "feel" as Berserk does on some basis such as a psuedo-medieval setting and demons, even though Berserk's feel is more of black, black, black toned series while Claymore employs a tone of gray-ness.

And although it's just a personal opinion, Claymore just doesn't the same epic~ scale that Berserk holds. It's best to not compare Claymore and Berserk or most people would just end up dissapointed.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 03:51   Link #18
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Arms that regrow in a matter of minutes are magic. I mean, just from a conservation of mass point of view, it should not happen. And let's not even talk about the greater transformations.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 04:18   Link #19
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Its action oriented yes the name Claymore says it all . Dumb Q : Is Claymore like Berserk ? Can we expect something in the lines of that
While there is some slight resemblance, I would say that they are not alike. Berserk is about epic evil with a protagonist who exists only to fight. Claymore is a much more human story.

Old 2007-01-04, 22:56   Link #20
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

I hope this won't be a flip flop anime. I am really hoping for this anime to be interesting; I've been waiting for a good fantasy setting anime since Berserk.
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote