Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-12, 21:39   Link #3601
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I enjoy watching the SOTU just to watch all the grumpy faces of the ones being called out for being pawns of overlords or obstructionists.
Old 2013-02-12, 21:45   Link #3602
sikvod00

^ LOL, it is pretty amusing.
"Grrr. Poor kids getting access to a quality preschool? Tyranny! This madness must stop!"
Old 2013-02-12, 21:51   Link #3603
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I enjoy watching the SOTU just to watch all the grumpy faces of the ones being called out for being pawns of overlords or obstructionists.
Especially John Boehner.

What kind of message does that send worldwide about the Republicans once again?
Old 2013-02-12, 21:57   Link #3604
Dr. Casey

After three months of researching/reading/secretly training in the mountains, I'm kind of glad Obama won. I still love Romney as a person though and wish he could get his own talk show so that I could listen to more of his smooth talking.

Do we have any idea yet who the 2016 candidates are going to be?
Old 2013-02-12, 22:12   Link #3605
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
After three months of researching/reading/secretly training in the mountains, I'm kind of glad Obama won. I still love Romney as a person though and wish he could get his own talk show so that I could listen to more of his smooth talking.

Do we have any idea yet who the 2016 candidates are going to be?
I have a feeling the GOP race is going to be another clown car ride (too many candidates for too long, too many "you have to be kidding" candidates). Until the GOP works out its "tea party, zealot, corporatist, and other" issues, it has a rough ride ahead into decline as the young and "not white" say "no, I don't think so".
Old 2013-02-12, 22:18   Link #3606
Alchemist007
*Author

That was a great address.
Old 2013-02-12, 22:23   Link #3607
james0246

Okay, who was the cute blonde sitting in the First Lady's Box (that sounds dirty).

Sorry, im a little wasted aftwr my annual sotu drinking game (shot for every stand and a drink for every long clap), plus the u of m v. msu game kepy interrupting my watching experience.
Old 2013-02-12, 22:23   Link #3608
sikvod00

A "little wasted", huh? I can smell the alcohol through the Internet, you drunk.

Marco Rubio from Florida will be delivering the Republican's rebuttal to the SOTU.
Old 2013-02-12, 22:29   Link #3609
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

James, wut?

Speech concluded.

Points, not necessarily chronological:

- The economy dominated the speech.
- Obama complained about a recalcitrant Congress with the upcoming "Sequester."
- Some pats on the back on the economic recovery. Some questionable metrics used (like the stock market; the stock market is worth shit in real value), but I'll give him his day.
- Tax reform proposed, again.
- Minimum wage increase proposed.
- A gentle little touch on senior "entitlement" reform. Expect nothing of it.
- A tiny "and China" to remind the Sinophobic Congress of the growing Yellow Threat in terms of "jobs" and manufacturing (oh the new Yellow Fever).
- More tech investments and infrastructure investments promoted.
- American reliance on natural gas energy is spun as a positive, but IMO it's just another phase in the Fossil Fuel Civilization. We need them better batteries and solar upgrades ASAP. The Future is here, let's spread it over every hill (speaking of which, gas prices have recently risen up again...).
- Early childhood education is the education focus.
- A proposal for minor tweaks with federal college funding to reward "affordability and value."
- Threats to act on Global Warming through executive action, if Congress (expectedly) fail. Energy Security Trust promised (what is it again?).
- Immigration reform proposed, with commonly known and agreed upon measures. Expect the Republican House to pull shit and cry foul, despite the standing ovation here. Obama has surrendered on many points, but he usually gets some form of legislation passed, even the legendarily difficult healthcare. I wonder what will come out of this battle.
- Foreign policy plays a minor role, despite North Korea's recent developments. Afghanistan withdrawal reiterated; the President intends to take a trip to the Middle East next month. Iran nuclear capability again opposed, though not very strongly, I feel.
- A pointed call for voting reform in light of the display of Third World Democracy in places like Florida last November (including both the bad = horrific voting conditions, and the inspiring = voters who say, fuck it, fuck you, I'll vote). Thank the gods Obama won this one, or vote suppression would have been legitimized among "tacticians" for the next generation.
- Final act: hard push on gun control ("They deserve a vote.")
- Subtle, quiet little nod to LGBT rights very early in the speech ("[no matter] who they love"), later a bit more open by acknowledging the end of Don't Ask Don't Tell (the generals were tragicomedically deadpan at this). I fear a big LGBT push isn't in the horizon. Oh well, the day of love will come when it comes, and it's getting better all the time.

Oh, and to piss off Anonymous (and disturbs me):

- Mention on cyber threats. Some of these "measures" are no doubt long-overdue standards and encryption for power grids and the like; some others I suspect would leave the EFF people more than a little uncomfortable.
- TPP will soon have a partner in TAP, Trans-Atlantic Partnership. I hope they'll keep patent and copyrights off the negotiations, or the EU insists on that point.
- No mention of constitutional and civil rights issues involving certain questionable provisions inserted into NDAA or the failure to close Guantanamo and the like. The President clearly surrendered on this, if he even cared to fight for "us" in the first place.

Last edited by Irenicus; 2013-02-12 at 22:40. Reason: Forgot immigration
Old 2013-02-12, 22:40   Link #3610
james0246

How come the rebuttal never seems to actually referrence the president speech? It seems to always follow some sort of party line idea of what the president said rather than what was actually said. They have the speech ahead of time, right? So why is there this fundamental disconnect.

Whatever, cant wait for the tea party rebuttal. Paul should be hysterical.

Spoiler 67-39.
Old 2013-02-12, 22:50   Link #3611
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I have a feeling the GOP race is going to be another clown car ride (too many candidates for too long, too many "you have to be kidding" candidates). Until the GOP works out its "tea party, zealot, corporatist, and other" issues, it has a rough ride ahead into decline as the young and "not white" say "no, I don't think so".
I do hope that the Republican party moves away from its Bible thumping nature before long and stops clinging so much to things of the past. I wouldn't classify myself as a Democrat (maybe Moderate or Independent), but Democrats do seem more progressive and more likely to create the future I'm hoping for, such as solar power becoming a prominent source of energy by the end of the 2020s.

Prediction for 2016: Jimmy Carter will run for President again, having spent the past 36 year hiatus training to perfect his presidential skills, and win the election in a landslide. You heard it here first, folks.
Old 2013-02-12, 22:52   Link #3612
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Prediction for 2016: Jimmy Carter will run for President again, having spent the past 36 year hiatus training to perfect his presidential skills, and win the election in a landslide. You heard it here first, folks.
He'll be a head in a jar (Futurama reference )
Old 2013-02-12, 23:10   Link #3613
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

He's only be allowed one term of office.
Old 2013-02-12, 23:16   Link #3614
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

We all know Obama's wife is going to rule with an iron fist from 2016-2024 and after that it will be a coup'de etat (codename wasp attack) by the Republicans >_<
Old 2013-02-12, 23:20   Link #3615
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

As long as it isn't Mrs. Clinton....
Old 2013-02-12, 23:20   Link #3616
Elestia

I choked a bit when the comparisons between minimum wage and slavery started.
Old 2013-02-13, 01:27   Link #3617
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The comparison can be made to "indentured servitude" with wages below basic living costs ... slavery not so much.
Old 2013-02-13, 01:29   Link #3618
james0246

I still want to know who that blonde woman was sitting next the first lady...
Old 2013-02-13, 02:21   Link #3619
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I still want to know who that blonde woman was sitting next the first lady...
Speaking of, this reminds me of just how many hot girls (man, those are some DSLS right there) were present at the town hall debate. Aren't the audience members who ask the questions chosen beforehand? I guess even electoral debates have fanservice.
Old 2013-02-13, 06:57   Link #3620
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

He gives great speeches.

Unfortunately no matter how amazing any of the things he says may be, this Congress will do nothing useful, as usual.

Powerful moment during the gun segment, however. And I really had to laugh when he mentioned "what makes you a man"....considering the big news recently was a certain known deadbeat dad congressman who still refuses to pay.