AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2017-06-12, 13:27   Link #1
Strike105X

Any linux users around, looking for advice regarding switching

Hi all, i want to give linux a go on my main rig, i haven't really used linux since mint 9, which i really, really loved, this are the things i'm interested in:

1. Compatibility with my hardware, and when i say hardware i mean my i7 6700 config.
2. i heard you can get visual novels to work nicely using vmware player, is that true ? Does it support fullscreen ? Can i access files on my Linux partition with it ?
3. Does Linux have something similar to MPC-HC, MPC-HC not only has a great compatibility with every video i ever played but subs and ass style subs work great. for instance with VLC i had issues.
4. I need to use Photoshop CS5 or CS6, is that possible now ? Do not recommend me alternatives (like gimp), i've used photoshop for years its what i'm used to.

This is how mint looked when i really loved it leaving aside the backgrounds its that look and features i really loved, any chance of getting something similar on newer builds, i also digged compiz:

http://imgur.com/a/S6bjf
Strike105X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-12, 20:25   Link #2
ksham

I use Linux as my primary operating system, so I will attempt to help.

1. Compatibility with CPU is a non-issue. You do have to work on graphics cards support if you're using Linux. If your signature banner is accurate about the RX480, then I think you can make it work. Just Google it and you'll probably find a walkthrough that someone posted. Obviously, this is dependent on the Linux distribution that you want to use. If you want to stick with Linux Mint or venture into different Linux distros.

2. VMWare Player is a virtual machine software like VirtualBox. So if you were to install Windows on VMWare Player, then it's like having Windows running inside a program. Fullscreen is fine. You do lose the direct communication to the GPU when running Windows in a virtual machine so you can't really play heavy GPU-intensive games. If you use Steam for VNs, then the native Linux Steam client can play it fine since VNs are not very intensive games. You can setup a shared directory (folder) between Linux and the VMs if you want to share files. Both VMWare Player and VirtualBox support this in their program.

3. Uh, I use VLC for all the anime that I watch using Linux/Raspberry Pi (when not in Plex mode) and I've not had a single problem. To my knowledge, there isn't an exact replica of MPC in Linux, but maybe if you look hard enough, you'll find one that works well for you.

4. It is possible to install and run Photoshop CS5 or CS6 in a Windows running in VMWare Player. The performance is not as good compared to running Windows host. Although older Photoshop versions do work decently in Wine under Linux. I have not gotten CS6 to work under Wine. I don't have Adobe CC to test those.

You haven't specified what or why you plan to main Linux. If you're interested to just learn the Linux world, why not run Windows host and use VMWare Player/VirtualBox to run your Linux distro? That way, you can still keep all the things you want to do within Windows (gaming, compatibility, etc.) and use the Linux VM to do what you need Linux for. Linux in a VM is more lightweight than Windows in a VM and should run smoothly enough. One caveat to note: Windows cannot read a Linux partition without a third-party software; however, Linux can read Windows partitions by simply mounting them.

Another option is to dual boot Linux and Windows. Rebooting to swap operating system can be a pain though.
ksham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-12, 21:26   Link #3
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Yes ... if it were me I would try VMWare or VirtualBox or some such to test and try the different linux iinstallations effectiveness, difficulties and the rest.

I use linux solely for an installation on older hardware laptops, and it works plenty fine for simple uses, so I don't think I could be able to help with regarding specific troubleshooting or the like.

The video player I enjoy the most under linux is SMPlayer.

I use Mint 17.3 for what it is worth, and it works like a charm (again though ... on an older system).
Old 2017-06-13, 01:48   Link #4
IceHism

1. No problem
2. vmware just runs windows. Some vns work on linux if you use wine/playonlinux. Others may have a linux version. Most will require you to run windows.
3. MPV is the MPC-HC of Linux
4. No. Need windows or OSX.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-13, 08:17   Link #5
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

For the record, if you do decide to use a Linux distro then I recommend Linux Mint over Ubuntu. When I used Ubuntu 16, it was ridiculously buggy and unstable and then went to Linux Mint which was waaaay better. I ultimately went back to Windows anyway due to compatibility issues with programs I needed to use to save my bricked smartphone (long story), but during the brief time that I was using a linux distro, I was never able to get Photoshop onto it, nor could I figure out what I was doing wrong. All in all, using Linux was pretty damn frustrating. Then again, I still don't have Photoshop now because I'd just barely use it now so there's no point paying for it so I've stuck to GIMP (which does indeed suck balls).

However, Visual Novels I never actually had an issue with on linux. I remember downloading one visual novel (Tokyo Babel) and surprisingly it just worked perfectly and automatically without me having to do anything. I think I had already installed WINE at that point but I don't recall needing to anything else. And if I recall correctly, this was when I was using the buggy as hell Ubuntu distro.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-13, 09:24   Link #6
Strike105X

Thank you all for the help, i now know in what direction i want to head.
Strike105X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-13, 09:25   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've been a KDE user for the past decade or more, so I can't help on the various desktop flavors. On the other subjects,

There's no reason to worry about hardware incompatibilities. AMD/ATI has always had spottier support for Linux than NVIDIA, though there is a driver on the AMD site for the RX 400 series. Ubuntu flavors can usually install the driver automatically (via the "Driver Manager"), but you might be forced to install it yourself.

I have no idea about visual novels. I assume you're talking about playing them through WINE? I prefer virtual machines for all such tasks (see below).

Like Flower I've been using SMPlayer for years now. It was specifically designed for subtitled files (the "S" in its name). Originally SMPlayer was a GUI front end to mplayer, but now the preferred player engine is mpv. On Debian flavors like Ubuntu you can install them with "sudo apt install smplayer mpv". There's also a Windows version if you want to give SMPlayer a spin.

If you want to use Photoshop or other Windows software, then I suggest running VirtualBox. I also second ksham's advice to install VirtualBox on Windows, then install a Linux OS inside a virtual machine. If you take the opposite approach, with Linux as the "host" and Windows as the "guest," you'll need a licensed Windows disc for the installation. On a machine where you have Windows but no licensed media, running Linux in the VM avoids all these issues.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote