AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-06-09, 00:18   Link #21
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I don't use I.E, but rather, I use Firefox.

When I want to do a quick search, I use Chrome. It's default webpage is set to wikipedia.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 03:34   Link #22
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
When I want to do a quick search, I use Chrome. It's default webpage is set to wikipedia.
On the right side of Firefox you have a small field which says Google. Press the little icon and select Wikipedia.
Old 2010-06-13, 07:59   Link #23
Sophrosyne
αφρονέω

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
On the right side of Firefox you have a small field which says Google. Press the little icon and select Wikipedia.
Or set the deafault search to Wikipedia by editing the entry "keyword.url" in the about:config. You can also use keywords like in Opera by rightclicking on the searchbar of the site you want and choosing "add keyword".
Sophrosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-13, 10:46   Link #24
pigoz
YUKI.N>

Send a message via MSN to pigoz
I use Firefox. I heard Safari 5 has a really powerful extensions API, so I might switch to it in the near future.
pigoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-16, 15:34   Link #25
nonexistinghero

iono, after updating firefox last time, youtube became a lot slower. Does anyone else notice this decrease in speed?
nonexistinghero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-17, 17:25   Link #26
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I haven't noticed any speed decrease for YouTube
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-17, 21:59   Link #27
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

It might be youtube rather then the browser. They have been making changes.
Old 2010-06-17, 23:00   Link #28
Chrisjon
In 7/4 tyme

I used IE for a while but I switched to FF and was pleased with the results. Mainly cause I noticed I was browsing at a faster speed. I then switched to Crome but I noticed no major differences so I switched back to FF. I personally prefer FF over the three that I have tried so far.
Old 2010-06-17, 23:29   Link #29
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I'm not l33t enough for Opera and I'm not hip enough for Chrome. Moreover, I'm not stupid enough to use IE.

So Firefox for me.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 00:09   Link #30
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
I'm not l33t enough for Opera and I'm not hip enough for Chrome. Moreover, I'm not stupid enough to use IE.
But are you old enough for Netscape? Or otaku enough for lolifox? Or rare enough for Maxthon? Or unix enough for Konkeror?

Or err- something enough for Safari?
Old 2010-06-18, 02:24   Link #31
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

I used to browse w/ Firefox, but after experimenting w/ Opera and Safari, I settled w/ Chrome, and I never looked back.
Washu-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 14:46   Link #32
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
But are you old enough for Netscape?
No.

Or otaku enough for lolifox?
No. I'd just feel guilty when I use her for less pristine surfing.

Or rare enough for Maxthon?
I have never even heard of it, so no I guess.

Or unix enough for Konkeror?
No. Too komplikated.

Or err- something enough for Safari?
Nobody on Windows should be using iBrowse when they could just...use Firefox, or Opera. Or something.
Answers in the same block quote because a bunch of short quote-and-responds are ugly and annoying.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-21, 17:48   Link #33
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Google Chrome hands down
Old 2010-07-01, 02:40   Link #34
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, looks like MS is trying to catch up with its competitors by making leaps and bounds. They just released the third technical preview for IE9 last week and...they've shown a good amount of progress. They're now at 83% ACID3 compliance (they intend to release the final build once they've hit the 100% mark) and...for the second time around, they've beat Firefox in speed.

Article 1
Article 2
Chart 1
Chart 2

It's a bit sad IE9 (the technical preview still lacks a GUI, since it's just a technology demonstrator meant to showcase the new Chakra engine and regain some consumer faith) is only available for Vista SP2 and higher (the hardware acceleration system uses the NT 6.0/6.1 kernel and the associated driver pool, which means it cannot be backported to the NT 5.1 XP architecture), I think some people would've appreciated having it available for the still venerable XP (who's edging closer to its end of life line) -- my mother being one of them. ;D

Anyway, I only use IE to view local HTML files (and checking whether Javascript-equipped HTML files I'm working on do render well on all major browsers) and sites that DO require IE. I use Opera for the rest; I haven't used Firefox in, what...three months, and not once have I ever hazarded a look backwards?

Last edited by Renegade334; 2010-07-01 at 02:53.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 11:37   Link #35
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wervy View Post
I just use IE, mostly because it displays pages properly. I Have tried other browsers, but with the pages displaying wrong and the interface feeling more clunky I could never get into using them. Not to mention, that right now browsers like firefox and more popular so of course there is going to be more spyware for them since they are a larger target.

Getting spyware and viruses is more a problem with the person using it than the browser. I have used IE for years and never gotten any sort of infection. I find all the people saying that a browser is to blame instead of the ignorance and stupidity of the user is laughable. If you get infected from web browsing you must be an idiot who is surfing horribly dirty sites. Frankly, if you cant use the internet properly you should go outside and play in the dirt.
The Internet security community, SANS, and Bruce Schneier disagree with you on Internet Explorer and those other assessments ... but hey, don't let experts and professionals dissuade you. o.O

Pretty much anything besides IE is a Good Idea, the advantage to Fireforx is extensibility and the no-script. Chrome is fast .. but may be short-lived as the makers seem to be refocusing on Chrome OS. Safari isn't bad but suffers from support and update problems. Opera is good but some people find it visually annoying. And yes, Windows 7 lets you actually remove IE from your system. Websites that only work with IE tend to be in Korea (where IE and Windows are some national religion or something) or put together by someone who used an old "Frontpage" kind of obsolete tool. I've run into a few Korean MMO type games that use an IE-based launcher but you just have to ask yourself how badly did you really want to play the silly game if it insists on a particular browser to launch or wants to use ActiveX over a public network.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-07-01 at 12:01.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 14:48   Link #36
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The Internet security community, SANS, and Bruce Schneier disagree with you on Internet Explorer and those other assessments ... but hey, don't let experts and professionals dissuade you. o.O

Pretty much anything besides IE is a Good Idea, the advantage to Fireforx is extensibility and the no-script.
Being an IT student; I've done a fair amount researching, and reading on internet security, and such so I'd pretty well agree with Vexx on this.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 16:04   Link #37
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Wow, you can actually remove IE from Windows 7?

This hasn't been an option since before Windows XP.
Old 2010-07-09, 08:18   Link #38
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm trying the beta of Firefox 4.0 at the moment. My first reaction is that it seems to load graphics-heavy pages faster than its predecessor.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 10:48   Link #39
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm trying the beta of Firefox 4.0 at the moment. My first reaction is that it seems to load graphics-heavy pages faster than its predecessor.
Yeah. Seems to be the new rendering algorithms they mention in the changelog (among other tweaks there). The new layout is pretty clean, I like it. Its menus need more work though. Too bad addons like Firebug and FaviconzeTab (or some other tab management ones) don't seem to work with it yet. Oh well, at least I got a laugh how the the default theme is marked as "incompatible" too.

Guess I'll wait for release. Any guess when its scheduled for on the project roadmap?
Old 2010-07-09, 15:17   Link #40
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
That'd be because FF4 tentatively (not perfect yet) introduces the principle of hardware acceleration - it defers a lot of the rendering work to the GPU instead of the CPU, thus reducing the CPU overhead. Furthermore, with all the premature HTML5 promotion that everyone's been doing (ten years before the official recommendation will be issued) lately (Steve Jobs appears to be very determined about putting Adobe Flash out of business), hardware acceleration will be more commonplace in next-gen browsers - especially due to the new animation capabilities (<canvas> and all that).

Not sure about you ellow Opera users, but 10.60 is horribly buggy for me. Dragonfly (which I use every once in a while) takes an eternity to load up and as a whole, 10.60 keeps crashing all the time (5-6 times today). If this keeps up, I'll be forced to roll back to 10.54...or wait for 10.70.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2010-07-09 at 15:52.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chrome, excited, firefox, internet explorer, opera, reviews