Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-12-24, 15:49   Link #781
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
Yes. You could argue that the show itself actually criticizes karuta, or at least karuta-as-a-sport, in light of Kana's distress with Nishida for lacking interest in the poems themselves.
I don't think the show presents Kana's distress as a sure sign that Karuta-as-sport is wrong. It just shows that different people seek different things.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 10:10   Link #782
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Will there be an ep this week or is it taking a break?
Old 2011-12-25, 12:37   Link #783
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Will there be an ep this week or is it taking a break?
Break. The series will be back on January 3rd.
Old 2011-12-28, 18:19   Link #784
Undertaker

Is there an manga discussion thread for this series?

Can't seem to find one and I'm reluctant to make one as my last thread was killed for being a duplicate because I didn't notice another thread existed under different name.
Old 2012-01-03, 15:00   Link #785
sikvod00

Ep. 13 initially appeared to be focused on another kurata match, but that was a red herring. Instead it turned its direction primarily to Arata's arrival and how he got his drive back. Glad to see him return, although I figured they'd reintroduce him at the halfway mark of the show. We get to see the Queen for the first time, and what a lovely brunette she is. At least I'm 99% certain that was her at the beginning since this show doesn't try to be subtle with much (not a bad thing). Was that a mole I saw on her? I will laugh my ass off if the queen has some sort of infatuation with Arata or falls for him. Also, it's a bit cheesy how Chihaya was able to feel her aura.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 16:03   Link #786
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Episode 13:
Old 2012-01-03, 17:02   Link #787
Dop
Mmmm....

Good to see this show back after the break, the episode went in a different direction to what I'd expected, but the highlight was the story about Arata and his grandfather. That was well told, I thought.
I liked Sensei's little "How to pray properly" lecture too.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 17:03   Link #788
Johnny
Working the bags...

Good episode and the Queen falling for Arata would be hilarious...

@Undertaker, no there isn't a thread in the manga section...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 17:10   Link #789
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Like how they focused on Arata before he saw them. Like how Chihaya could feel the queen's aura. Think her prayer was answered by her seeing Arata. Too bad the team didn't get to advance. Nice for Komano to pick up a win. Is Chihaya the only one in the individual tournament or did Taichi and Porky make it as well?
Old 2012-01-03, 17:34   Link #790
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Arata!!! I'm so glad he's finally returned. The flashback helped in understanding the reason he was so distraught over his grandfather's death. We already knew the gist of what had happened, but seeing it was another thing entirely. I'm glad they took the time to develop Arata's relationship with his grandpa on screen, as it is a very important part of his character.

Is there any chance that Arata can still join the individual tournament? His message to Chihaya certainly imply that. Even if registrations are already closed, he might still be able to join in thanks to his excellent relationship with the organizers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
EWe get to see the Queen for the first time, and what a lovely brunette she is. At least I'm 99% certain that was her at the beginning since this show doesn't try to be subtle with much (not a bad thing). Was that a mole I saw on her? I will laugh my ass off if the queen has some sort of infatuation with Arata or falls for him. Also, it's a bit cheesy how Chihaya was able to feel her aura.
Shouldn't the Queen be older than that? That girl is just a highschooler. In any case, she is definitely going to be Chihaya's main rival in this tournament given the way she was introduced (walking by the hero/heroine in slow-mo + Chihaya's karuta sense tingling = future major antagonist. They could have been a bit more subtle ). She's only appeared for a few seconds and I'm in love with her already. Can't wait to find out what kind of personality she has and who is voicing her.
Old 2012-01-03, 18:20   Link #791
Katapan
俺様祭り

Very strong return for the series after the break. I was just wondering how the pacing might possibly handle a major and possibly long tournament right in the middle of the series, then the very first minute already gave a pretty good idea of the answer, which didn't thrill me at first (I'm definitely not a huge fan of the 'sick episode' trope)... but since it was actually executed excellently and led to Arata's return, I warmed up to it easily. I have to praise the music placement this week, and above all, Hosoya Yoshimasa's performance, especially during the emotional scenes.

I was also hoping for another Sudou appearance before the series ended and it happened so quickly. My ドM side is highly pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Shouldn't the Queen be older than that? That girl is just a highschooler. In any case, she is definitely going to be Chihaya's main rival in this tournament given the way she was introduced (walking by the hero/heroine in slow-mo + Chihaya's karuta sense tingling = future major antagonist. They could have been a bit more subtle ). She's only appeared for a few seconds and I'm in love with her already. Can't wait to find out what kind of personality she has and who is voicing her.
Well, her seiyuu is Nakamichi Mihoko. Looking at that list of roles, I suppose... we just can't say anything until we hear her. :P
Old 2012-01-03, 18:45   Link #792
Kazu-kun

Wow, they burned 3 manga chapters in just one episode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Is there any chance that Arata can still join the individual tournament?
No, of course not. And he probably wouldn't do that good anyway, since he hasn't trained in years.

On a general note, I liked this episode, but it wasn't a favorite. Maybe it's because Arata is pretty much unknown to us, and just one episode of back-story doesn't change much. I don't feel much for him actually.

Also, I'm kind of worried about the pacing. I mean, there's no way to make the rest of the tournament span the whole second half of the series, but on the other hand there's no way to get to the next tournament (the following year) either. So I just can't see a good end point without the anime going a different direction than the manga...
Old 2012-01-03, 22:57   Link #793
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post

Well, her seiyuu is Nakamichi Mihoko. Looking at that list of roles, I suppose... we just can't say anything until we hear her. :P
Well, we can talk about her trait already. Her voice cast is from Kyoto, so she is more likely to use Kyoto dialect. It is contrary to Edokko Chihaya.

It's interesting to display Chihya's "warrior quake"(武者震い).
Quote:
Originally Posted by definition
quiver [tremble] with excitement in anticipation of 「a battle [an adventure]
At least, I think it's what happened. Then, she turns ill. What a bummer.

Spoiler for Off topic:
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust

Last edited by GundamZZ; 2012-01-04 at 01:17.
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 23:02   Link #794
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

The Arata flashback and the only screen time he got in a long time
Old 2012-01-03, 23:09   Link #795
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
On a general note, I liked this episode, but it wasn't a favorite. Maybe it's because Arata is pretty much unknown to us, and just one episode of back-story doesn't change much. I don't feel much for him actually.
Since you know manga and anime story, you would feel much for him actually. The anime is quite faithful to the original story. In the story of earlier episode, we saw Ararta and Taichi had the first match. Taichi cheated the game, and Arata was about to lose. Ararta suddenly remembered the words form his grandfather. His grandfather told him, "if you make friends in Tokyo, don't forget to play karuta with them". Arata's tear began to fell out, but Chihya stopped him by bumping him out of the match(literally). It was easy to interpret what had happended. Arata sees the game as friendship and bond, but he had to play his foe at the school. It's quite emotional.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 03:20   Link #796
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Good ep, but what the fuck? Manga spoilers not even spoiler tagged in this thread? Thanks.
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 07:57   Link #797
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

Glad to see Arata back in the spotlight after such a long time being the side character.
The flashbacks were shown at appropriate times, and were not too draggy nor boring. Its easy to see the grandfather's passion for Karuta even not in perfect health.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 09:40   Link #798
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
Ah. I was expecting somebody a little bit more famous for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
No, of course not. And he probably wouldn't do that good anyway, since he hasn't trained in years.
So that means he's not planning to see Chihaya again for another year? Damn. Taichi at the very least should be pleased by that

It's true that Arata is lacking in training, but I think he could have given a lot of players a run for their money nevertheless. His reflexes have undoubtedly dulled, but he has plenty of experience to make up for that. He managed to make A class about a year ago with minamal training too (by the way, that guy who pointed out -and was happy- he couldn't practice anymore because of his grandpa was a huge asshole).

On a completely unrelated note, Kana's mom cracked me up quite a bit. She's a total cougar.

Last edited by Kanon; 2012-01-04 at 15:03.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 11:25   Link #799
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Why does the episode take its title from the 15th of the hyakunin isshu?

Here's a translation, from the University of Virgina online library:

It is for your sake
That I walk the fields in spring,
Gathering green herbs,
While my garment's hanging sleeves
Are speckled with falling snow.

Another translation explains that the author of the waka, Emperor Kwoko, wrote it in honor of his grandmother.

Accordingly, the episode title alludes to Arata, to the time he had left his grandfather to compete in the karuta tournament. The season matches: the tournament is in February, so like the emperor, he has gone out in spring. The wakana the emperor seeks is, in Arata's case, karuta cards, victory in the competition, and broadly the honor he intends to bring back to his grandfather. The respect for a grandparent is the key parallel between the waka and the narrative: like the author of the poem, Arata has gone out from his house in honor of his grandparent.

The parallel holds to the second half of the poem. The snow on the garment alludes to the cost of the emperor's efforts: discomfort, the coldness of snow itself. Arata has also paid, in his grief after his grandfather's death, in his sense of guilt.

In following Chihaya to Omi Jingu, Arata has repeated his earlier gesture, as his grandfather's colleague makes clear. By returning to play, Arata honors his grandfather by bringing his style of play back to life. In some sense, he brings his grandfather back to life, or perhaps better said, he keeps the memory of his grandfather alive.

The waka is a spring poem. It is about bringing life, the wakana, out of death, the winter world of snow on sleeves. This is what Arata is doing for his Ojiisan.

It is also what he is doing for Chihaya. Her faint is a kind of death. Even when she wakes, to see Arata looking down on her, the moment she has been longing for for years, she does so to another death inside, in her guilt at having failed her team. This extraordinary moment is the absolute rebuff to Nishida's false notions earlier that she had only wanted a karuta club in order to get to meet Arata at Omi Jingu. But Arata's promise to her, that they will meet again across the tatami, restores her to herself. "He heard us. / Our feelings... / reached Arata." The "he" may be Arata, but it may also be the kami of the shrine, so that in her happiness Chihaya understands that her own prayers have been heard, and answered. The restoration is total: even Arata himself has now come back to life, to the life of karuta.

There is so much more going on in this episode. I don't know enough about Shinto to write about the the club's prayer to the kami intelligently. The depiction of the grandfather's dementia and Arata's pain simply goes beyond words. This show is rapidly reaching the point that I must pay it the respect of silence.

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter

Last edited by hyperborealis; 2012-01-04 at 22:53. Reason: 28 days on the calendar = February
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 12:01   Link #800
ehonglin

Episode 14 is the beginning of the manga vol.5 so episode 26 will be on vol.8 ......... which is just the introduction.

I am so sad that the series (hope for 2nd season) will end before we can get into a really good part. The story after that is so damn great. Plot twist. Especially, after manga vol.15

I want to know if there is a manga discussion too because I really want to chat about the plot after Vol.15. The story is getting so intense.

Last edited by ehonglin; 2012-01-04 at 12:14.
ehonglin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, karuta, madhouse