3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-12-31, 16:49   Link #301
Kusaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
As for the racism bit it makes no logical sense. The Japanese are fighting against Britannia, the European Union is also fighting against them, why not help one another fight the enemy? Plus in the first season it was implied that the Middle Eastern faction (I forget their name) was doing extremely poorly so it isn't like the EU has many allies at that point. It is almost like they want to lose or something.
With all due respect, I'd say your logic is what happens to be quite flawed here.

Japan no longer exists, seven years after its annexation, so what sort of alliance are you even talking about?

Zero was also defeated and (believed to be) killed at the end of the first season. That option's no longer available either.

All the Japanese immigrants can do to help Europe is provide a bit of cheap foreign manpower. Which is basically what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmambauk View Post
I would have to agree with Duel above, the problem with the racism is that it feels very forced, and just looking for sympathy for the Japanese again, this worked in R1 and R2 cause of how evil and racist Britannia is supposed to be, but here it's happening with the EU, who are suppose to be the last bastion of democracy and equality in Code Geass world.
I'm sorry, but that argument is simply a matter of personal preference. It sounds like you're asking Code Geass Europe to be much better than Real Europe...when in this case it's already been established that Code Geass Europe isn't exactly a happy, happy place even for its own citizens. Once again, do you seriously think most real cases of discrimination against immigrant populations are actually based on good reasons?

Democracy and Equality are wonderful abstract concepts but the physical reality often doesn't live up to them. Even in the real world, Revolutionary France was always talking about Liberty, Equality and Fraternity. But did they actually treat everyone (of every nation, every social class and every race) equally? No, not at all. Perhaps you should read up on the darker side of democratic and republican governments before having such expectations of democracies actually being the untarnished "good guys" by default.

Quote:
The racism to me feels very hypocritical coming from the Japanese, when they are still somewhat xenophobic today, love the country, the people and culture (I have been there), but sometimes I really hate how they like to portray the west, and ignore their own flaws in their own culture and history. Course we do that as well, but with them, it feels really annoying to me for some reason.
So basically you're saying..."since the Japanese are xenophobic, that means nobody can ever be portrayed as being xenophobic against them in fiction!" or something to that effect. Which is doubly hypocritical, since racism exists in all possible directions. Racial tensions are a completely valid topic for writing fantasy and science fiction stories.

Fiction isn't the problem here, especially since Akito actually has Japanese characters say they don't even care about the nation of Japan. Was it an European crowd who cut Yukiya's hand? No, it was a Japanese group. And he blew them up, regardless of sharing their nationality. It's not as one-sided as you want to believe.

Quote:
IT feels like the director is trying to make the japs the 'Jews' of the Code Geass world, which is very offensive I feel, leads to unfortunate implications on the part of the writers and director.
I'm sorry, but the Jews aren't the only distinct population that has been discriminated or persecuted in history. In fact, I find your line of reasoning to be offensive to immigrants who are being treated like crap at this very moment. If someone ever made a movie about anyone else's suffering, would they also come across as "Jews" in your opinion? Give me a break.

All the director is doing is taking an already established fact, that the Japanese in Code Geass are a currently stateless nationality in a broken world, and facing some of the potential consequences of that situation in the context of a tragic drama. Perhaps you wanted a different take, full of joy and acceptance or whatever, but that's just personal preference.

Quote:
As for the second episode. The problem is that four episodes just isn't long enough to tell the story they are telling to tell. Plus the problem I have with jap characters being most of the main characters, with a Britannian among them (yes Leila was adopted and all that, but that happened when she was six), I thought this series was suppose to be about the EU and it's people, and yet not one character who was born in the eu is among the main characters.
On the contrary, so far I don't think they are lacking much time since this is more of a personal story dealing with a small group, than one of the entire war. Leila was born and raised in the E.U. It's not just a matter of adoption. I don't think that's an obligation though. The original proposal the staff came up with had an European protagonist, but this was never announced publicly. The director himself chose to change it, which he has revealed in interviews posted here, but Akito has always been in the known title. There are other European characters who aren't all good or all bad either, but the fact is this isn't an enlightened nation in a time of peace or prosperity.

Last edited by Kusaja; 2013-12-31 at 17:25.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 16:59   Link #302
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Japan no longer exists, seven years after its annexation, so what sort of alliance are you even talking about?
Resistance fighters.
Quote:
All the Japanese can do to help Europe is provide a bit of cheap foreign manpower. Which is basically what's going on.
Yes, so why are they being racist about it?
Quote:
It sounds like you're asking Code Geass Europe to be much better than Real Europe...when in this case it's already been established that Code Geass Europe isn't exactly a happy, happy place even for its own citizens.
We know far too little about this universe's Europe to determine just how different it is from the real one.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 17:21   Link #303
Kusaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
Resistance fighters.

Yes, so why are they being racist about it?

We know far too little about this universe's Europe to determine just how different it is from the real one.
The Japanese resistance is in ruins at this point in time, now that Britannia has restored order, and without a solid unifying figure like Zero (who does get world support later on, during R2) you're basically risking too much for too little gain. There can be various reasons why the West doesn't always help resistance fighters in reality, you know, both pragmatic and self-serving.

Because of various prejudices and a general fear of what's different or unknown. Why do people become racist to begin with?

We know enough to tell Code Geass Europe isn't in good shape. There are various signs of this in both episodes, some subtle and others blatant.

But it's okay, I'm going to leave things at this level rather than get into another endless argument.

Last edited by Kusaja; 2013-12-31 at 17:38.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 17:35   Link #304
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Why "princess fanatics" like those like "four-eyes" has another version of her here... Oh, the vibes.... they can't leave it without that... >_>

On the other side, I praised the creators for drawing hot, sexy, erotic yet decent looking girls worth to die for..... hmmmm... yes... they're mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-12-31 at 18:02.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 18:42   Link #305
Blackmambauk

did I say I wanted a joyful portrayal no, but just portraying Japanese being broken at every turn, that is just not necessary, we get it, don't need to be hammered over the head with it.

Every democracy has a dark side, but yet did they ever look at Japan's democracy dark side, no, even though Kyoto house obviously weren't saints. Yet they feel the need to portray everywhere else that they somehow can't do anything right. Like to see them apply that to their country. Since they seem to change prime minster enough times in the last 20 years.

The japs are pretty much treated like how the Jews were in, ghettos camps, massacres etc. That's how the portray it, hard not to make comparisons there when they seem to want to allude to it.

Hey immigrants can treat people like crap as well, some have no respect for the culture and people of countries they immigrant to, some just want to live of benefits, or get free healthcare, . So that ain't as one side as you make it out to be.

Did I say they have no right to look at out culture no, but they sure like to portray all the negatives of the west all the time that's for sure. That's what they are doing with Akito in my view, there are some positives as well, which they seem to be ignoring i feel.

did I say it was one sided no, but they seem to portray it as that for the most part in Akito. Since they seem to be hell-bent on showing all the negatives most of the time. When do they do that with their own country, not often as they do for the west.

I mean what did Japan do to the EU and it's people, part from the refugee problem, and some Sakuradite business, that's enough to piss nearly everyone off, a few yes, but most, I doubt it.

Did I say democracy was prefect no, but how is eu any different from Britannia, I mean who are suppose to be the villains here, as the eu comes off as bad as Britannia, that just ain't good writing.

I respect your views, I wasn't looking to offend you, but that is just how I view Akito. they just seem to want to go on about how bad it is for the japs, when they don't need to, do they view the eu that bad of a place, yeah it has it's flaws, but it has it's good points, which I feel they don't seem to care to show.

It just ain't necessary, that's all I am saying, as it feels gratuitous to me. But of course if it doesn't to you that's fine. Let's leave it at that.
Blackmambauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 22:50   Link #306
Orattvisa

I find that the discrimination faced by the Japanese in CG universe is less of a racism problem but more due to their status as refugees. Hence the discrimination didn't seem out of place to me.
Orattvisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 00:52   Link #307
zeth006

Quote:
did I say I wanted a joyful portrayal no, but just portraying Japanese being broken at every turn, that is just not necessary, we get it, don't need to be hammered over the head with it.

Every democracy has a dark side, but yet did they ever look at Japan's democracy dark side, no, even though Kyoto house obviously weren't saints. Yet they feel the need to portray everywhere else that they somehow can't do anything right. Like to see them apply that to their country. Since they seem to change prime minster enough times in the last 20 years.
Am I sensing white guilt here? And what does Japan's fast-moving politics have to do with anything? Is this your half-arsed attempt at doing a tit-for-tat? Grow up, kid.

Quote:
The japs are pretty much treated like how the Jews were in, ghettos camps, massacres etc. That's how the portray it, hard not to make comparisons there when they seem to want to allude to it.
You probably don't want to refer to Japanese people using that term if you're going to tell us the depiction of racism offends you.

Quote:
Hey immigrants can treat people like crap as well, some have no respect for the culture and people of countries they immigrant to, some just want to live of benefits, or get free healthcare, . So that ain't as one side as you make it out to be.

Did I say they have no right to look at out culture no, but they sure like to portray all the negatives of the west all the time that's for sure. That's what they are doing with Akito in my view, there are some positives as well, which they seem to be ignoring i feel.
What's "our" culture? Did they make generalizations about the west? I don't think so. This is a fictitious world.

Seriously. Y'all are getting butthurt for no reason.
zeth006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 00:56   Link #308
zeth006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orattvisa View Post
I find that the discrimination faced by the Japanese in CG universe is less of a racism problem but more due to their status as refugees. Hence the discrimination didn't seem out of place to me.
I agree. I feel it's just meant to emphasize their status as homeless refugees. It's meant to add to the setting, not fuel the kind of unwarranted outrage I'm seeing here. It's a fictitious universe where refugees and discrimination against them exist. It's almost like the white folks here are mad that someone pointed out that racism exists.

Newsflash: It's not too far off from how poor minorities, refugees, and Roma in Europe are treated. Try visiting parts of Europe where they're common. Get out of your little bubbles and stop getting butthurt. Cracks me up that when racial stereotypes of minorities are used in tv shows and movies, no one bats an eye. Create a fictitious world where an actual refugee group is treated like crap, sorta like they are in Europe, and everyone loses their minds!!

Some people need to find real things to get mad about.
Old 2014-01-01, 02:14   Link #309
Rokumonsen
Fear the Spear

Just finished watching. Lelouch's look-alike really fooled me there. But something's odd about him.
Old 2014-01-01, 02:35   Link #310
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero-2 View Post
Just finished watching. Lelouch's look-alike really fooled me there. But something's odd about him.

That's because he's geassed to think he's someone else. Then again we're probably being trolled & it isn't even Lelouch in the first place. Well, I think it's Lulu, but that's just me.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.

Last edited by MK-95-; 2014-01-01 at 02:47.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 02:36   Link #311
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
^ But I was sure it was him. Only sillier in the way he dress. The character is Lelouch IMHO. And his "friend" has the same hate on his face for him (Lelouch)
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 02:44   Link #312
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Dunno if someone mentioned it(can't check all 16 pages) but the space flight scene was made very realistic which is extremely rare for sci-fi movies/anime.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 02:59   Link #313
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoemiChan View Post
^ But I was sure it was him. Only sillier in the way he dress. The character is Lelouch IMHO. And his "friend" has the same hate on his face for him (Lelouch)
Ah, a fellow companion. I saw a lot of Lulu =/= Kingsly posts in this thread. So I'm assuming we're in the minority here...lol

Yup, Suzaku's displeasure doesn't seem to be misplaced. That seems to be contempt for Kingsly that he has. Who else will he hate besides Lulu?
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.

Last edited by MK-95-; 2014-01-01 at 05:50.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 04:29   Link #314
EroKing

It has to be Lelouch - the character design, the voice actor, the sealing of his left eye. Not to mention this being taken place between season 1 and season 2 of the TV series
Old 2014-01-01, 04:35   Link #315
ultimate_noob
Skwid Fan

If that was a fake Lelouch I'm gonna be so mad. It has to be him when factoring the timeline. C.C didn't show up in the movie but she was in the preview...
Also Akito...he is showing more signs of his insanity...I like it.
ultimate_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 05:50   Link #316
Blackmambauk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeth006 View Post
Am I sensing white guilt here? And what does Japan's fast-moving politics have to do with anything? Is this your half-arsed attempt at doing a tit-for-tat? Grow up, kid.

You probably don't want to refer to Japanese people using that term if you're going to tell us the depiction of racism offends you.

What's "our" culture? Did they make generalizations about the west? I don't think so. This is a fictitious world.

Seriously. Y'all are getting butthurt for no reason.
Hey just pointing out what they show, how they portray how the japs get treated in Code Geass world, since everyone hates them just because they want to, the writers and director are the ones who need to grow up.

since Japan loves to ignore how they treat the burakumin, how they push young people very hard at times, how they treat Koreans who live in japan, How their politicians keep getting in scandals and can hardly sort out their economic problems for the last twenty years.

you don't like that, grow up yourself.

They choose to touch on reality issues, do it in the way they do it, it's like the ask for it.

Yes the make generalizations about the west all the time, considering how they love to play the USA as gun ho crazy people at times, Europeans as Nazi's etc.

About the romas thing you mentioned.

Do you see those people in Akito, their suffering, or any other groups of refugees or minorities group suffering in Akito, no you don't never, none of these people are in Akito, you don't see their suffering do you? Just the japs suffering.

Why don't the writers and director portray that eh, how horrible the eu is to those people. That would obviously be a good reflection of the eu as you say it is.

Seems to me the director and writers are living in a bubble as well.

Like their the only country in Code Geass to lose their homeland, how about the other number areas they never show in Code Geass.

that's my problem here, it's just the japs who suffer in Code Geass world, no one else in comparison to japan has suffered more.

If you have a problem with how I feel, then nothing I say is going to change that is it?

But don't tell me I don't know how things are in the real world, I know more than enough thank you.

Hell the teaser for the next episode has Leila and her group dressed up as roma people, wonder what they would think of that.

In fact Code Geass as whole is most racist towards the Japanese themselves, since they seem to be fight themselves more often than not, how they need a white person to lead them or be there for them. They can't seem to even unite without a Britannian leading them.

Seems to be some jap hating stuff on the creators part as well. hell Britannia acts a bit like imperial Japan at times, more irony there.
Blackmambauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 06:19   Link #317
zeth006

Quote:
Hey just pointing out what they show, how they portray how the japs get treated in Code Geass world, since everyone hates them just because they want to, the writers and director are the ones who need to grow up.

since Japan loves to ignore how they treat the burakumin, how they push young people very hard at times, how they treat Koreans who live in japan, How their politicians keep getting in scandals and can hardly sort out their economic problems for the last twenty years.

you don't like that, grow up yourself.
Huh? Don't like what, this isn't about modern-day Japan. You're going wayyyy off scope. It's becoming quite comical.

It's a fictitious world with a fictitious setting. There is no anti-white narrative being painted here, you're just overreacting.

Quote:
They choose to touch on reality issues, do it in the way they do it, it's like the ask for it.
What "reality issues?" I'm sorry, are you even in the right thread? This isn't a documentary.

Quote:
Yes the make generalizations about the west all the time, considering how they love to play the USA as gun ho crazy people at times, Europeans as Nazi's etc.
The view of Americans as gun crazy is actually held by people worldwide. Cousin of mine freaked out the Italian police while he was being detained once they found out he was an American from a so-called war loving country. But that's not the dominant view of America. Most Americans in Japanese TV shows are shown as being tall, blond, and blue-eyed. Whatever renditions Japanese shows in general use tend to be actually pretty harmless. If anything, last time I was there, western males and females get featured in modeling ads there. Hardly a sign of xenophobia.

I can assure you Americans in anime shows and Americans in Japanese dramas are given far better representation than Asian Americans in Hollywood who are under constant pressure to play stereotyped roles.

And they don't categorize Europeans as Nazi's, do you even watch Japanese shows? Have you ever met =Japanese people? They romanticize Europe. France, Italy, UK, and yes, even Germany. You really should try to expand your perspective because you're speaking from a gravely misinformed one.

But again--this is a fictitious world with a fictitious setting. Sunrise chose to simulate a bipolar world similar to what we had during the Cold War, only with more conflicts.

Quote:
About the romas thing you mentioned.

Do you see those people in Akito, their suffering, or any other groups of refugees or minorities group suffering in Akito, no you don't never, none of these people are in Akito, you don't see their suffering do you? Just the japs suffering.
Because this isn't about Romas, this isn't a historical documentary, this is just about a hypothetical world where the Japanese people are refugees.

Are you trolling or serious? Because the way you're ranting, you sound like you genuinely believe Sunrise is trying to tell the world the Japanese people don't have a country of their own and are persecuted refugees. People like you seem to have no problem with the stereotypes against minorities in Hollywood, but they'll try and dig around for examples of racism against whites like in this case.

If you're serious, I'm going to say it seems like you have trouble separating fact from fiction. It seems to boil down to you claiming there's anti-white racism.

Again, lose the "No you, ____" (insert whatever I say) comebacks where they're not warranted.

I'm not even going to bother to reply to the rest because it's gobbledegook

Last edited by zeth006; 2014-01-01 at 06:36.
Old 2014-01-01, 08:07   Link #318
Gundamx

about raciest -> just look at real world war refugee treatment
many countries does not even allowed them have legal work or even to them to leave their camp

for raciest treatment reason.....
...can you give me sound reason for white and black raciest treatment?

about Lelouch... no wonder EU lost at first half of second season....
it won't be easy to defeat both brain and brawn.

though it will be interesting to see how Akito older brother treat them
I guess his geass will be useless on Suzaku since he already have Live geass on him.

and talking about Live geass... I guess it will be interesting to see Live geass vs Die geass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherzo09 View Post
Eh, Lelouch brought it upon himself; If I were doing Code Geass I'd make it more clear he was undone by his hubris. I mean the reason the Black Knights flip him to Schniezel is because how little Lelouch trusted them, and so I think they were in their rights to not trust him. Though of course Ohgi was thinking with his cock, but I don't think that its as bad some people make it out to be.
hus? wasn't it becasue Schniezel give Ougi b***h as wife?
and they didn't just betray Lelouch but whole UFN
they sold him and UFN to retake Japan + b***h as bonus
(I doubt UFN know about their secret deal when they joined Ougi to attack Lelouch)

Last edited by Gundamx; 2014-01-01 at 09:29.
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 11:37   Link #319
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

AARRRRR, MY AVATAR, I LOVE YOU 2WINTAIL LEILA

I LOVE YOU BODYSUIT GIRLS

THAT AYANO BUTT, THOSE HANDS AKIMBO
I gotta join that squad! Wait.... Eleven's only? Damn.... wait, I'm Euro, surely that counts, right? I totally wanna Brain Raid with the girls, don't worry I'm totally innocent. All I'll be chanting is "pantsu!" and the girls will gradually get wet.... cough I mean happy. Yes, violence solves nothing, love power always wins!

In other serious non-hentai news, I honestly laughed when I saw Akito-niisan's Centaur Nightmare (I'm serious, I couldn't stop laughing, despite how much that hurts)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Dunno if someone mentioned it(can't check all 16 pages) but the space flight scene was made very realistic which is extremely rare for sci-fi movies/anime.
That was cool. Though I did find it odd how the pods weren't facing the right way to begin with which would have required a lower altitude for the separation, but I just thought it was funny how they had to take the time to turn around first. Isn't the slightest deviation going to send someone halfway across the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Not to mention this being taken place between season 1 and season 2 of the TV series
Are you serious? All this time I was watching this series thinking it's some side story, man that's some embarrassing proof that I'm paying attention elsewhere
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 11:58   Link #320
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post

I LOVE YOU BODYSUIT GIRLS

THAT AYANO BUTT, THOSE HANDS AKIMBO
I gotta join that squad! Wait.... Eleven's only? Damn.... wait, I'm Euro, surely that counts, right? I totally wanna Brain Raid with the girls, don't worry I'm totally innocent. All I'll be chanting is "pantsu!" and the girls will gradually get wet.... cough I mean happy. Yes, violence solves nothing, love power always wins!
Haha, now that gave me a good laugh.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote