Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-05, 19:08   Link #1
Kyrok
Mad Scientist

Looking for a good inspiring/heartwrenching anime with a lean toward romance

So lately I've played Katawa Shoujo and Little Busters! and immediately watched Clannad and Clannd After Story back to back. I'm kind of in the zone for the sort of stuff. Other than this I've also watched Gurren Lagann recently which while very different gave me that same kind of inspiring emotional feeling. Another series that comes to mind is Itazura na Kiss which delivered a similar feel. Also Angel Beats, Toradora!, Kanon, Please Teacher, Honey and Clover, and a few others are great series that I feel are atleast a bit relevant.

I'm a sucker for romance and am just looking for more series to get my fix on, I prefer something on netflix or something but if not I can manage, you can check my anime-planet page to see what I've watched for the most part.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2012-02-05, 19:37   Link #2
kitten320

I think you should give Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin a try.
Sadly not too strong in romance department but does have hints of it but series are very inspiring and heartwrenching. My fave character was Mario, really liked episodes based around him. Last episode was very inspiring for me as a sportist.

Also have you watched Air?
Old 2012-02-05, 19:43   Link #3
Kyrok
Mad Scientist

I actually have not seen Air, I did want to see it because of it being Key and all, but my brother who watched it claims it doesnt have a happy ending like clannad and kanon do in the end. Just hard to watch a super depressing series knowing the end doesn't wind up happy I guess.

I will have to look into Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin, it sounds pretty interesting.

Old 2012-02-05, 19:56   Link #4
GreatTeacherKen

Air is a great series and I think if you liked Kanon and CLANNAD, you'll probably like it too. I'm not sure I'd call it a romance, but I suppose it depends how you interpret the main relationship. In any case, the KyotoAnimation TV series is not explicitly romantic, but the movie version which deviates from the source material quite a bit is a romance.

I can confirm that your friend is right that the series has a considerably less happy ending compared to Kanon and CLANNAD though how sad it is may be a question of how you interpret the last few minutes of the show. So if you're not in the mood for that sort of thing, you should put it off for a bit.

ef a tale of memories- it's also a visual novel adaptation like CLANNAD. It is romance drama with two romance plots that happen at the same time and is animated by Shaft (same studio that adapted Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei) who gives the series a distinct visual style. Although the drama does get quite intense towards the end, the outcome is an inspiring one, so don't worry about being super depressed afterwards.
Old 2012-02-05, 20:53   Link #5
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Went through your whole list, and since i've been looking for romance animes for a whole year, watching every damned (at least decent)romance title, i can tell you which you are most likely to like; in order:

Mayoi neko overrun: this anime has a similar setting as Toradora, but the animation is like almost the same of Zero no Tsukaima; there is even one character that is identical to Louise(with the only difference that she's blonde hairs rather than pink). The main girl is exactly like Taiga but with big breasts(isn't that just what taiga was missing?). The plot plays around this boy who takes into his house his childhood friend(the big breasted taiga) and a poor girl(that looks like a cat) with huge tits. A bit haremish, but there is romance. I think you'll love it because i noticed that you rated high Toradora and ZnT; this just looks like a mix, i'm sure you'll lke it. Just so you get the idea:
Spoiler for pic:

Mashiroiro Symphony: New romance title of the year, therefore has a very good graphic and what some consider the best romance element of 2011. This is like a sure bet, i however didn't like it much more because it didn't evolve like i wanted (i sympathized with another girl rather than the main heroine), but that was my own preference. It's a loveable anime, and i'm sure you'll like it. Here a pic:
Spoiler for pic:

Omamori Himari: I hate catgirls as a matter of fact; i just can't bear any human hybrids with animal features. I just can't stand it. This anime was the only exception. It's the story of a boy and a catgirl who pops from nowhere. They'll have to fight some bad guy. The story plays around their relationship. The girl, Himari, is 98% of the time in her normal form, and only shows ears when aroused or when fighting, so don't worry about that element, because even I was able to stand it. Himari is just loveable, so you'll be driven by just her character the whole time. It's a bit fantasy like Shana and ofc contains romance. It has a good amount of ecchiness. Here is himari:
Spoiler for pic:

Canvas 2: adaption of an eroge, it isn't as good as the game, but manages to show a good enough story: it's about a teacher(who is in his early twenties and looks like a 17 years old guy) who teaches in an art accademy; his cousin (a blonde girl) is staying at his home for the time being, and his childhood friend(story about her will be told during the anime) just came to the same school to teach gymnastic. The plot plays around this triangle. The atmosphere isn't dark at all, it has some comedy, but as you can imagine, romance is the very main focus. Some pic:
Spoiler for pic:

Ef - a tale of memories: as suggested above is a good example of drama/romance. The user above me quite illustrated the pic of it and yes, the 2nd story playing in the background is a bit depressing. Watch it only if you are in the mood (it won't surpass Ano Hana by any chance tho, which however was holy times better everything-wise, imo). Some pics:
Spoiler for pic:

kamisama kazoku: The fact that i put it on a lower level is because of its too simple graphic. I liked it more than Ef for some aspects. It's the story of a boy, who is a god, and is living as a human in earth to better comprehend how humans live etc, and is living with his godly family. One day he falls in love with an human girl and wants to conquer her without using his powers. On the other side, his childhood friend(who is an angel), will kick in. The romance plays around this triangle, and it has little chances of boring you, since you get the first deep part of romance from episode 1 to 5. The graphic doesn't suck, so don't be fooled by my whining. Oh wait, i'll show you a pic of it, just so you get the idea, but still, don't be taken over by prejudice, like me in the beginning:
Spoiler for pic:

And now, an anime that is just on another level; an anime that can't be listed amongst the ones above. A title that is just too wonderful:

Steins;Gate: The story plays around a group of just acquainted friends who managed to make some sort of time machine that is able to send messages to the past. They'll have to face the consequences of their discovery because... Won't say anymore. You'll get to discover it on your own, just like i did. After having watched it, i realized that if someone ever spoiled something more about this anime, i wouldn't have been able to appreciate and enjoy it 100%. It starts a bit slowly, but it has like the best male protagonist ever seen so far(jk, i'm talking according to my tastes, but there is a huge crew sharing my same opinion), and you'll understand why after the first two episodes, and one of the best tsundere. The animation is serious, meaning that there aren't fake expressions or funny chibi faces that are only part of animes like ZnT. The whole setting is "serious", but the protagonist will make you laugh, so don't worry. You can't see the romance? Trust me, do not worry and don't drop it for any reason(you won't be able to do so anyways for reasons you'll come to know). It will satisfy you, i'm 120% sure about this. A screen of the cast:
Spoiler for pic:

I suggest you watch S;G after you watched the other titles, because this anime tends to leave some sort of feeling of satisfaction, that makes you feel like "oh, i just found the best thing out there, i don't need anything else". It was for me that way.
Old 2012-02-05, 21:41   Link #6
Kyrok
Mad Scientist

Wow, just from your description and the cast shot, Steins Gate seems totally up my alley, really have to thank you for the reccomendation, also I actually did watch Mashiro iro symphony when it aired and enjoyed it a lot, the others however are all new to me and im very interested in checking them out. It's great how you seem to have applied everything to my tastes pretty well. Many kudos to you

Old 2012-02-05, 21:57   Link #7
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

If you are going straight to embrace Steins;Gate i have to warn you about two things:
1) The first episode might confuse you, do not worry.
2) The romance is present, and is even considered one of the deepest. This isn't evident in the beginning, so do not worry. Hope in it.

Having said this, have fun watching this wonderful title; it even got a fucking kickass opening, it's just awesome under any point of view lol.

PS: the characters are all around 18 years old, even tho the protagonist, because of his looks and voice, might appear older (this is just in case you were looking for a young-school-like cast).
Old 2012-02-05, 23:16   Link #8
Kyrok
Mad Scientist

awesome! I can't wait to get started on it, currently getting Mayoi Neko Overrun and Steins;Gate. I am curious, is it necessary to watch Chaos;Head before Steins;Gate?

Old 2012-02-06, 04:57   Link #9
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Try Dragon Crisis!, a 2011 12-episode TV anime about a highschool student named Ryuji who is asked by a aunt to steal a sacred suitcase, however it is revealed that he saw a dragon girl named Rose, who was abducted in this suitcase. To prevent her to be attacked by a mysterious evil threat, he must lives with her. It has :
- Highschool setting
- The series' main theme is about dragons with human-like appearance
- Lot of action and drama
- Some romance and comedy
- A little bit of ecchiness (though not pantyshots were shown in this series)
- Huge emphasis towards the plot
- The character design was a bit average, but I'm sure you must really like this anime !!
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-02-06, 07:37   Link #10
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

No, chaos;head has nothing to do with steins;gate, even tho you can see somewhere something like "the story takes place in akihabara after the events of Chaos;Head". It really has no links, as far as i know, neither you'd need them.

If you are interested in Mayoi neko overrun even afterwards, you can continue the story by reading the light novel that is still ongoing (if you were looking for a definitive ending, you'll have to posticipate it and enjoy the whole series).

Also, the atmosphere of these titles is very different from each other: Steins;gate is a story with big balls, that requires a bit concentration and subbing in the characters, while mayoi neko overrun is a comedy/romance and a very light title, and will give you the feeling of Zero no Tsukaima or Haruhi Suzumiya. Since you decided to pick on them, i'd then suggest you watch S;G and then relax out with Mayoi and the novel.

There actually are other romance titles that might appeal you, like dragon crisis indeed, but i preferred to propose only the ones i really consider 90-99% fitting.
Old 2012-02-06, 10:13   Link #11
kitten320

Yeh, out of all Key works, Air is the saddest one. But the drama is what made me like the main heroine more.
From what I saw Air movie seems to have more romance but I never got a chance to watch it so I duno how good it is in comparison to anime. Clannad movie sucked bad while series were good.

I think you could also check Ga-Rei Zero. It has some romance but friendship is of bigger importance and it has drama towards the end. Found it really sad =(
But at some point inspiring because of the connection and dedication that main characters shared.
Spoiler for cover:

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom are one of my fave series. It has hints of romance but main theme is a life of assassin, mostly those who were forced to become one so series have some heavy themes and drama. Are they inspiring? Well, I think it depends on how you look at it.
Spoiler for one of the main covers:

However, these two series also don't have the happiest endings.
Rainbow series have a positive one and very nice animation. Every character has their own problem to deal with: one character wants to become a singer so he could meet his sister again, another wants to be a professional boxer. What connects them all is that they all were imprisoned and shared the same cell what brought them close together and they became best friends. Series follow their life during imprisonment and after.
One of heavy themes it deals with is abuse and raping.
This is series cover:

Spoiler for pic:

The character designs change once they are free.

As inspiring show, Rainbow works the best.
Old 2012-02-06, 11:10   Link #12
Kyrok
Mad Scientist

Thanks for all the reccomendations everyone, all these series sounds great and I plan on atleast trying all of them. Also I have actually seen the first episode or 2 of dragon crisis. I was watching it with my brother and he lost interest, I wanted to keep watching but sort of lost track of it after this, so it will nice to pick it back up. Kind of a funny coincidence that the MC is named Ryuji and the girl is voiced by Rie Kugimiya, haha.

I started watching Mayoi Neko Overrun last night and so far I like it, however it seems very fast paced, and its a little hard to follow the subs, but I can manage. I have the whole series now and plan to watch through it all.

I have to admit tho that I am overly excited to watch Steins;Gate and will probably start watching is ASAP. I understand what you mean about waiting to watch it, but I'm impatient and its rare for me to actually get excited for a series. It is also nice to hear I don't need to watch Chaos;Head though I probably will wind up watching it later on if I like Steins;Gate as much I think I will.

But with all these recommendations, along with airing series, and stuff I have on hold I have a bunch to keep me going for now. Recently I started Bakemonogatari and want to finish that at some point. Also I'm halfway through Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, sadly the pacing is kind of slow and its hard to watch for a long time. Quite a few other series I need to finish as well.

But again thanks everyone for all the recommendations! I'll make sure to check all of them out.

Old 2012-02-06, 16:40   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

There's not a lot of romance in Kemono no Sou-ja Erin, but it certainly is inspiring and at times heart-wrenching. You must promise to watch at least seven episodes before deciding whether to continue. Personally I prefer the fansubs over the Crunchyroll version.
Old 2012-02-09, 07:07   Link #14
DraGnaR

Send a message via MSN to DraGnaR Send a message via Yahoo to DraGnaR
Chobits * if u haven't seen it *
Old 2012-02-09, 12:07   Link #15
Senden

I second Ga Rei Zero and the Ef Tales of animes.

Ga Rei Zero is definitely heartwrenching maybe not in a teary eyed sort of way but it will emotionally move you 100%.

Ef Tales of Memories followed by Melodies are also fantastic animes and while somewhat different, I think they're both up there with Clannad.
Old 2012-02-09, 12:32   Link #16
Kyrok
Mad Scientist

I'll have to look those up, and yes I have seen Chobits, one of my first animes actually.

Old 2012-02-09, 15:18   Link #17
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Check your PM

Ps:
Just in case you ran out of ideas, you can check one of my topic where 98% of romance titles got suggested. Since i watched almost every title that got suggested, you can get some hint here http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=107800 . If you had any question about those titles, let me know and i shall suggest what you can watch afterwards. However, the ones i suggested in this topic are those that mostly focus on the emotional/drama part. In my list there are several titles that cover this part, but not making it the main focus. In any case, every of those title is a romance, because i was specifically looking for it.
Old 2012-02-09, 17:42   Link #18
Elegance

Ughhh i just realised u had a list and typed alot of description down. Was gonna recommend Nodame Canatabile and Amagami but o well.

Well for inspiring i totally recommend Major. Its about a kid/man named Goro who will try to become one of the best pitchers. The first season starts him out as a kid living with his father, also a baseball player. The second season is when he is all grown up. The character development between each other is fantastic and the never giving up was quite inspiring. Also later in the seasons, feelings will start to show between the main character and a girl. This anime is about life of baseball and things that go along with it. I'm not a baseball fan at all but this made me want to be one. Try it out

Also I see REC is a want to watch. It was a nice change of pace. It short yet lovely story about to individuals.

Hanbun No Tsuki Ga Noboru Sora is a bitter sweet romance. The story takes place at hospital (depressing huh) but there are comedies. It didnt feel that depressing at all to me. Its a love story between a guy(forgot his name) and girl that has some problems of her own. Even though after knowing the problem the guy would show up at the girls room. Also there is comedy.

Otome youkai zakuro-This is a supernatural yokai(demons?) Its about military men going to live with some yokai but the main character is scared of them. Funny huh but after living with them and being with each other he overcame that fear and falling in love with the main yokai. A non violent tsundere.

Valkyria Chronicles is also want to watch. Its a great romance even though it doesnt seem like it at first but it definately shows. A mix of military and romance is a nice touch.

Katanagatari is a about a samurai with no sword. How is he a samurai? he is the sword. This about a girl who finds the man/sword so she can obtain 12 swords. This anime is heavy on dialogue, talking but the romance is pretty good. The ending is one of the best i've seen as well.

A currently Airing anime called Papa Iukoto is about a boy taking care of his sisters kids. While he was taking care of them, something happened to his sister and her husband so he ends up adopting them. This reminded me a little of usagi drop and i see that u like usagi.

Last edited by Elegance; 2012-02-09 at 19:43.
Old 2012-02-10, 11:16   Link #19
Kyrok
Mad Scientist

Thanks for the recommendations, I am currently watching Papa no Iukoto and my main reason for wanting to see Valkyria Chronicles is because I own the video game and hear the anime is more or less the same story and I just haven't had a good chance to play through the game.

Also I have been wanting to watch Major for a long time now because I love baseball especially in animes. Big Windup and Cross Game are some of my favorite series.

The rest I will have to look into, right now I am focusing on Steins;Gate and watching Mayoi Neko Overrun little by little.

Just curious, I was looking through my anime list, and noticed a couple romances I have started but did not finish. Two I can think of are Bokura ga Ita and His and Her Circumstances. Oh and also Rumbling Hearts. I've only seen the first episode of Rumbling Hearts and about half the series on the other two, I am wondering if these are worth finishing considering my interests?

Oh and another one that comes to my mind is Kimikiss Pure Rouge which I've seen the first 2 episodes of.

I have recently updated my anime-planet list so it is a little more accurate to what I've seen. It atleast has everything I'm currently watching marked which I am watching quite a few airing series atm.

Old 2012-02-10, 12:47   Link #20
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

In my opinion you will like Kimikiss Pure Rouge: it follows 3 different love stories that somehow make a twist. Its protagonists are highschoolers, there is some drama but not something depressing like deaths, diseases etc, just genuine romantic drama. The graphic is also veeery ok. I'd suggest you watch it the sooner possible, because otherwise you might get into an ugly situation like me. How to say it, it's just that it would have been my favorite romance anime if i hadn't gathered too much experience and started thinking how all the romances, that came later, would end. So well, if you watch it now, i'm sure you'll love it.

Rumbling Hearts is depressing, i wouldn't suggest you this title. Somehow it got an happy ending, but just... I also didn't like it very much neither for the drama, that was more a psychological attack on a weak minded guy rather than a drama. I also found it very little romantic, and the graphic isn't that great.

I didn't check the others titles because they never appealed me.
Closed Thread