AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2012-11-28, 21:13   Link #21
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Yeah I was wondering about that one.....

Homura woke up in the hospital... went to school and after the Madoka-Mami rescue, Madoka said that she made the contract last week....
Old 2012-11-28, 21:32   Link #22
NTFTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Yeah I was wondering about that one.....

Homura woke up in the hospital... went to school and after the Madoka-Mami rescue, Madoka said that she made the contract last week....
Homura leaves the hospital on the 16th, but doesn't start going to school until the 25th so the loop starts two days before Madoka originally contracted.
NTFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-28, 21:36   Link #23
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Oh okay..... so Homura would have taken care of the cat, or would have let it die anyway.
Old 2012-11-28, 22:26   Link #24
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
The Drama CD specifies that Homura saves the cat in every timeline, as a tribute to Madoka. That cat survives in every universe.
Old 2012-11-28, 22:59   Link #25
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Oh okay. Kinda forgot the cat xD
Old 2012-11-29, 10:13   Link #26
maximilianjenus
[E]

yah, put all the timelines in a line, as in homura's perspective, first madoka becomes a mahou shoujo, then homura travels to a parallel universe, in the universe of universes so to speak madoka is already a mahou shoujo, even though in the current universe she is not, that is what I meant.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-29, 15:29   Link #27
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Well, your explanation is kind of incoherent, since Madoka isn't a Mahou Shoujo, she just has a buttload of potential.
Old 2012-11-29, 16:49   Link #28
maximilianjenus
[E]

Yeah, the problem and what I dislike is the whole deal with the parallel universes or time travel not being fully fleshed out, we just know what happens but have no idea of the real mechanics (again, because gen himself says he did not think it thoroughly); I still go more with the mechanics being closer to those of the nasuverse or higurashi because if those were simple resets there is little reason for madoka's karma to accumulate (there is still some reason, though).
Old 2012-11-30, 05:43   Link #29
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Well, we know enough. They are actual separate universes, since different universes' karmas are being tied together, and events can diverge without Homura doing anything. If they were the same universe being reset, then there'd be no differences unless Homura makes them.
Old 2012-11-30, 13:25   Link #30
maximilianjenus
[E]

Agreed, also, I did not meant to say that madoka can't use magic, jst wanted to spice up the discussion (while keeping it civil, which in my opinion we did) a bit as the parallel unvierse mechanic is what interests me the most currently mostly because other parts of the lorehave already been explored better, like any being with a soul being able to become a mahou shoujo.

[EDIT]
As far as the mangas/games, etc... goes the only universes we have got confirmation of not being canon are one psp one which urobuchi especifically said as not being canon and I would bet on the comic anthologies ones nto being canon as well, for how silly they are.

Last edited by maximilianjenus; 2012-11-30 at 13:36. Reason: more talk about alternate universes
Old 2012-11-30, 18:23   Link #31
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Even still, events seem to change without Homura's intervention, or else things would be way easier.
Old 2012-11-30, 19:30   Link #32
KoiYuki

When has it changed without her intervention though? 0_o From the get-go she changes things (like saving the cat), and in timeline 2, she was a magical girl, so that all changed... Timeline 3, still a magical girl, this time with new knowledge, so she did things differently then as well. Timeline 4+, she saves the cat and keeps Kyuubey away from Madoka, among other things.
KoiYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 16:11   Link #33
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Look at smaller details; whether or not Sayaka contracts in the earlier timelines, Kyouko's appearance, whether or not Octavia has Hitomi-based familiars or if they meet certain Witches...

After all, according to Homura, Walpurgis' point of appearance is a statistical probability to her...meaning that sometimes it shows up somewhere ELSE, but on average it has a preferred spot. How could SHE influence that?

And if we accept other things like manga and the PSP game, we've got stuff like Oriko, Kirika, and Yuma sometimes showing up.
Old 2012-12-02, 11:10   Link #34
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Why is Kyubey's emotionless race so concerned about the end of the universe? Without emotion, they should be able to accept the death of the universe as a facet of existence.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 12:31   Link #35
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Because they could still possess the instinct to survive, or have come to a logical, complex utilitarian morality where they understand that other races need to go on.

Also, an existing universe is more interesting even from a Spock-like perspective than nothingness. There is literally no reason to choose entropy even if you have no feelings.
Old 2012-12-02, 18:58   Link #36
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Because they could still possess the instinct to survive, or have come to a logical, complex utilitarian morality where they understand that other races need to go on.

Also, an existing universe is more interesting even from a Spock-like perspective than nothingness. There is literally no reason to choose entropy even if you have no feelings.
It's actually impossible for their species to possess literally no emotion, if we wanted to get overly scientific about it (of course their world does not follow our real-world science, but for fun). Studies have shown that having no emotion whatsoever precludes one from the ability to reason and prevents one from possessing motivation. "Emotion" is an outcropping of instinct. Perhaps more accurately, their species does not possess empathy, or has a much more muted range of emotional expression.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 21:50   Link #37
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Quote:
Studies have shown that having no emotion whatsoever precludes one from the ability to reason and prevents one from possessing motivation.
In humans, yea. We can't assume neuropsychology works in a different sentient species.

While I do agree with you on this point, we're dealing with a being that is probably artificially created considering that Kyubey is following a program and inhabits thousands of bodies at once in a hive mind.

It's entirely possible, though, that their race just believes they have no emotion and culturally suppress it, considering that anyone who gets emotional is locked up as mentally ill. It'd be similar to how Victorian mankind insisted that they were a higher order of beings from other animals on a spiritual and biological level.
Old 2012-12-03, 01:36   Link #38
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think that the Incubators have the following emotions at a low-level:

"Pleased"
Disappointed
Pride
Schadenfreude

I don't think they have anything quite like happiness, sadness, love, hate, loathing, fear, anger, etc...

The emotional difference between Incubators and humans is close enough to "we don't have it, you do" that the Incubators put it that way as a shorthand.

During the anime, there's times when Kyubey comes across to me as pleased, and this sometimes includes pleased with himself (i.e. prideful). There are other times when he seems to indicate disappointment (it only seems serious when it's related to him getting turned down by Madoka and/or Sayaka, though). I also sometimes get a sense of schadenfreude from Kyubey; that he takes comfort in seeing girls fail after they refuse him and/or try things that he probably thinks they ought to know better than to try.
Old 2012-12-03, 01:59   Link #39
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

So if one rejects her own wish, the person will not have magic anymore.

Is it possible to wish: I wish I wasn't a witch.
Old 2012-12-03, 02:15   Link #40
bigdeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I think that the Incubators have the following emotions at a low-level:

"Pleased"
Disappointed
Pride
Schadenfreude
LoL at one of the prime emotions of Incubators being the enjoyment of the suffering of others, aka, Sadism.
bigdeath is offline   Reply With Quote