AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-06-13, 15:23   Link #1
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

Comedy-Tragedy

i know it sounds very stupid but i am looking for an anime series that has comedy as well as tragedy in it, the comedy and fun really bonds me to characters and then when tragedy strikes it gives a lot big impact, so i want a series that has nice comedy and also has tragedy, tragic past is also okay.
here by tragedy i do not mean heavy voilet tragedy, i mean sad things or tragic things

One very important thing, i want a non romance series, no romance drama, no romance comedy and no romance tragedy.A side-character romance is okay but not as main plot of the series

other things i do not want : supernatural,fantasy,action,horror,mecha,ecchi,har em

the only series i have seen of this type is Sket Dance and Angel Beats (watching right now),this might give you a more proper idea, so i would like a series like that
and i prefer the series took place in high school

i know it's very very difficult to find such a series but i hope there is

and thank you very much

Last edited by mystogan; 2013-06-17 at 03:56.
mystogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 16:29   Link #2
DanielMors
Second Stake of Sloth

Gintama is the closest you'll get to Sket Dance, since Sket Dance's mangaka was an assistant on Gintama and emulates Sorachi's style.
Gintama is set in a feudal Japan that was conquered and modernized by aliens, and follows the story of Sakata Gintoki, a former samurai, who, together with his two friends and co-workers, takes on every job he can get in order to pay his rent.
Like Sket Dance, Gintama mainly focusses on comedy, but gets serious once in a while, with tragic pasts that haunt the characters or simply new developments that stray from the usual comedy approach of the show. However, the drama in Gintama's serious arcs is very action-oriented, so it may not be 100% what you're looking for. Still, you should give it a try.
The first few episodes weren't that great imho, but the show improved quite a lot, and now Gintama is one of my favourite anime.

You may know some characters from Gintama since there was a cross-over special with Sket Dance where characters from both shows met.
DanielMors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 16:48   Link #3
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

^i did start on Gintama but then din't continue after the first half of the first episode, i din't get along with it's setting, feudal warlords, aliens, samurai all at one time it kinda put me off

but i'll try it again, i guess this time i'll give it time to settle in it's universe, thank you
Old 2013-06-13, 16:56   Link #4
DanielMors
Second Stake of Sloth

Yeah, Gintama really takes some time. I remember dropping it after the first episode, too. I only continued because a friend told me to, and I don't regret it.
But it's been quite some time since then, and I don't really remember when it started getting good. All I remember is that the first really dark arc was around episode 60, and by then I already liked Gintama. Maybe someone else who can tell you how much patience you'll need in order to get to the good stuff.
DanielMors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 17:00   Link #5
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

that's a long run, i would have liked a little shorter but i guess whatever there is of this type, it will do
Old 2013-06-14, 00:53   Link #6
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Trigun fits nicely with your query.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 02:25   Link #7
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

^by it's synopisis and images, it seems a lot action oriented and post-apocalyptic is not exactly my thing, but i'll check it out nevertheless
Old 2013-06-14, 02:33   Link #8
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Synopsis doesn't do any justice to that anime. In fact, synopsis is often misleading for any anime.

Sunabouzu is another good one that somewhat fits your query.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 08:31   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Hyouge Mono deals with serious, sometimes tragic material, but with a slightly askew and subtly funny point of view. It's set in the Sengoku Period, though, so it's not modern and certainly not set in a high school.

You might give Welcome to the NHK! a try. It's often quite hilarious, but the subject matter itself is quite serious. I wouldn't call it tragic, though it comes close in spots. The characters are young adults in their late teens and early twenties. There is a romance, but it's pretty unconventional.

Anime is rarely tragic by the usual dramaturgical definition. As a popular entertainment, it generally avoids difficult material and usually ends on a positive note. Puella Magi Madoka Magica does have some classical tragic features (it's based loosely on Goethe's Faust), but it's not very comedic. It's set in a middle school, and the main characters are all girls 13-15.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 13:39   Link #10
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

i have seen welcome to NHK and Madoka Magica,but they are not the type i am searching for, i don't mind if the series ends on a positive note,

i am not searching for dark comedy, i am want series with nice witty comedy which also has tragedy at times, i know it's like asking for spicy between an ice-cream, but that's what i am looking for
Old 2013-06-15, 07:05   Link #11
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
One very important thing, i want a non romance series, no romance drama, no romance comedy and no romance tragedy.A side-character romance is okay but not as main plot of the series

other things i do not want : supernatural,fantasy,action,horror,mecha,ecchi,har em
These requirements makes it just a bit difficult...

Is science fiction ok? I don't see it on your lists of no, so If so maybe Steins;Gate though has romance, is NOT the main focus.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 12:39   Link #12
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

^i believe Steins;Gate is dark and thriller,even if it may include tragedy, but comedy is also necessary requirement

i guess this is as far as the search gets
Old 2013-06-15, 17:23   Link #13
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystogan View Post
^i believe Steins;Gate is dark and thriller,even if it may include tragedy, but comedy is also necessary requirement

i guess this is as far as the search gets
It starts out with a strong witty comedy element for the 1st part of the series though, which isn't quite apparent from a reading summery on it.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 01:40   Link #14
devildog23
Summerlurking

Most Key might fit this comedy and tragedy/drama combination. I'm thinking specifically of Angel Beats!, which should be right up your alley. Sometimes it had me laughing to tears and other times it would hit me right in the feels and I would have to hold back those (manly) tears.
Old 2013-06-17, 02:33   Link #15
blackstormattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog23 View Post
Most Key might fit this comedy and tragedy/drama combination. I'm thinking specifically of Angel Beats!, which should be right up your alley. Sometimes it had me laughing to tears and other times it would hit me right in the feels and I would have to hold back those (manly) tears.
^+1

I think you hit the jackpot with angel beats, if there is one serie that indeed fits the discription that mystogan wants. I personally was very moved by Angel Beats's comedy as well as the drama.
Old 2013-06-17, 03:56   Link #16
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstormattack View Post
^+1

I think you hit the jackpot with angel beats, if there is one serie that indeed fits the discription that mystogan wants. I personally was very moved by Angel Beats's comedy as well as the drama.
holy cow i totally forgot about it, but i have already seen angel beats and yes it does fit the requirement.AS for other key works i have seen them as well

Edited and corrected the opening post
Old 2013-06-17, 05:50   Link #17
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Frailty
Sora no Otoshimono, IMO, fits your description. It has ecchi though
but when it's ecchi, it's comedy time. When it's plot time, it gets very tragic. I recommend that you read the manga instead of watching the anime since the anime focuses more on the fanservice.

I want to show you some of its tragic moments but I'd be spoiling you

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 08:12   Link #18
Tenzen12

DenYuuDen (24 episodes) definitely fit. High fantasy with lots of jokes and optimism as well as blood and tragedy.On top of that, main protagonists are Jun Fukuyama, Daisuke Oono and Ayahi Takagaki.

Birdy the Mighy decode (13+OVA+12ep) - Action sci-fi with hot headed space police investigator that have to for time being live in body of high school boy (Despite settings there is very little romantic implications between them) looking for smuggled weapon of mass destruction. Especialy second season is very dark.

Full Metal Panic - no need introduction as legend of mecha genre, though romance plays very important role here.

Pumpkin Scissors (24 ep) - Quirky mlitary unit solve various issues in afterwar (WW1 like) settings wher famine unemployment and bandits are common occurence. Lot of action with one vs tanks.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2013-06-17 at 13:04.
Tenzen12 is online now   Reply With Quote