AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-08-25, 20:18   Link #541
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

All of this talk about Medaka Box getting the axe seems a bit premature, especially since we still dont know how well the first volume sell.
Old 2009-08-25, 21:47   Link #542
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Actually I don't think TLR ending has much of an effect on Medaka? I mean if it's bad, it's bad. One competition getting cut doesn't change my view on the manga.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-25, 22:47   Link #543
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
All of this talk about Medaka Box getting the axe seems a bit premature, especially since we still dont know how well the first volume sell.
It would not be the first series to end this way. Just because because we are not aware of selling numbers does not make the manga safer.

Mizuno - while it does not make manga better, it can give it time. And with time, who knows.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 06:33   Link #544
Arturro

Problem with Medaka Box is not that it is a bad manga. IMHO it's a very good one, it's just not the manga readers expected to read. As I've said before, people like to read/watch stories they already know, but with some minor twists, and a story they expected. Readers of SJ expected shounen story, also oneshoot has given readers hopes for comedy/romance/echhi manga. There is comedy and a little of echhines in Medaka box, but no romance. So far story (or rather characters - there was a little plot so far) is fitting smut manga, not shounen. Medaka Box includes 2 plot devices probably most loathed by readers of shounen mangas - unrequited love of main protagonist and bishoujo bastard competing with main protagonist. Because of it Medaka Box allways will be unpopular among shounen publicity, but it doesn't means it'll be unreaded manga.

Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 08:59   Link #545
Darknemo2000

Sometimes I wonder if it was not some weird experiment to see how a reversed harem manga would do in shounen magazine. Apparently it doesnt do so well.
Old 2009-08-26, 13:11   Link #546
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
A reverse harem manga is something that belongs in a girl's manga, not Shounen Jump, which is aimed at boys... outside of a few things, reverse harems are something I have a tendency to stay away from

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 14:57   Link #547
Arturro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Sometimes I wonder if it was not some weird experiment to see how a reversed harem manga would do in shounen magazine. Apparently it doesnt do so well.
I think it's an experiment as well, but not SJ experiment. Many authors who just become very popular tends to write "experimental" book/comix/screenplay/etc. In most cases it's a complete failure. IMHO Medaka Box is such story. NisiOisiN is a good author, Medaka Box is proof that he well know how to use plot devices, archetypes, how to modify them, he is paying attention to details. But IMHO he has gone too far with postmodernism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin
A reverse harem manga is something that belongs in a girl's manga, not Shounen Jump, which is aimed at boys... outside of a few things, reverse harems are something I have a tendency to stay away from
You are (not) alone it's a rarity to found a man interested in reverse harems story.
Medaka Box is neither story for boys, nor for girls. Medaka is too perfect, too Mary Sue type of character for girls to identify with her.

Old 2009-08-26, 19:55   Link #548
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturro View Post
But IMHO he has gone too far with postmodernism.
I wouldn't call a retarded mean-looking 10 years old "genius" remotely close to the sublime qualities of the best of postmodernism.

Yes, it dragged and wasn't all that good after all after a while, but I didn't complain. I was willing to give it chance to settle down and clean up. The new kid, however, puts me off. Horribly. I complained about Akaboshi very early on with its omgimtoocooltocare (me: well, fuck you too) protagonist in this thread. Guess what? There's one now here in Medaka. Great.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 21:02   Link #549
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
It would not be the first series to end this way. Just because because we are not aware of selling numbers does not make the manga safer.
Volume sales do factor into the decision of cancelling manga, along with the popularity in the magazine. My point is that with only the ToC (which are based on the decision of the Editor-in-Chief, with the fan votes only playing factor in his choice of the arrangement) one wouldn't be able to make an accurate assumption about the future of the manga. Now if it flops like HnC, then yeah it'll be a no brainer to give it the cut. But then again Sket Dance have stayed for a while in the bottom 5 at the beginning of its life and it still managed to survive and grow popular having ended up in the front several times now.
Quote:
You are (not) alone it's a rarity to found a man interested in reverse harems story.
I suppose then I am part of the minority of men who enjoyed watching Ouran
Are you sure you aren’t looking too much into it? I honestly don't see anything at this point that would suggest that it is postmodern or revolutionary in its concept. Many mangas of different demographics have used the same method of one chapter cases, as it a staple of the genre.
Also, I find you saying that the readers loathing bi-shonen basterds and unrequited love a bit puzzling. Usually, it is the bi-shonen who manages to be the most popular in character pools and with the fandom of the series. Also, I cant find anyone aside from Akune who would fit the unrequited love role, and even then it is usually played for laughs (not to mention that many manga in WSJ used to use these types of character often, so it really doesn’t look like they loath it that much)
Now, I agree with you that it is not a bad manga, and that NisiOisiN is a very good writer, but I certainly don’t place MB very high as you do. It is still somewhat enjoyable, but nothing groundbreaking so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Yes, it dragged and wasn't all that good after all after a while, but I didn't complain. I was willing to give it chance to settle down and clean up. The new kid, however, puts me off. Horribly. I complained about Akaboshi very early on with its omgimtoocooltocare (me: well, fuck you too) protagonist in this thread. Guess what? There's one now here in Medaka. Great.
I haven’t read much of Akaboshi, but I don’t think that the 10 yo will be staying that long. I predicate that he will be sort of a comic relief who shows up every once in while trying to up the Council(I hope :P), but I don’t think he’ll turn out to be the final member as it would be an overkill having to both him and Medaka on one team (it removes all challenges).
Old 2009-08-26, 22:16   Link #550
clarakiss~
the toeto nomster~!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Hey, everyone! New to these forums (though some of you know me from mangafox or onemanga).

Honestly, I figured Medaka would still be in the bottom five as the rankings I believe are for the start of the horrible Swim Team arc, but to be dead last was a surprise. :\

If things don't change, it probably won't get much further. The latest chapter looks like it's starting to introduce some plot, but the choice of antagonist was badly done, as I don't think the readers want to see a 10 year old superhuman to match Medaka. Personally, I think it would have been better to have her rival be a normal, pretty girl who despite not being a "genius" is just as kind (without the bad personality) and actually see the potential Zenkichi has and tries to steal him away. That would be a lot better than the current baddie, as in the end, the superhumans are going to completely overshadow the rest of the cast, including the main character.

Of course, considering the manga has been 95% focused on Medaka and her powers, Zen's already been overshadowed quite a bit and it's made the manga quite boring as we see everything solved my Medaka's powers and her lovey-dovey diatribe every week. I think it would be much nicer if they focused on her flaws (her arrogant presence or the fact that while she wants to help everyone, she doesn't actually give a thought to the people's feelings while doing it-- ie stealing everyone's first kiss). Sadly, all these flaws are all glossed over in favor of everything Medaka does being right.

There's so much material there to work with to improve the manga, but it's making wrong decisions left and right and focusing on completely the wrong things.
i totally agree! even so if it's about medaka, more attention should be directed towards zenkichi. and the thing about medaka is... she seems too perfect and completely unbeatable. readers sorta get bore of characters like that fast. a love rival for zenkichi should've been introduced so that medaka would do whatever she can to keep him. but to me, he just seems like her lackey and goes along with her plans unwilling.
clarakiss~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 23:33   Link #551
ultramojones
Pfjaklsq of Greatness

glad i wasn't the only one who cringed at the sight of that little 10 year old genius boy, i hate those kind of guys, sasuke, hitsuguya, etc

they can die in a fire, be doused with acidic water, then get shocked by pikachu, all up the hooha, twice. yeah, i can't see medaka box doing well/staying alive anymore, im sure im not alone in this, some drastic change needs to happen, like the sex of everyone reverses
ultramojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 00:43   Link #552
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Medaka Box is neither story for boys, nor for girls. Medaka is too perfect, too Mary Sue type of character for girls to identify with her.
Very true. The Medaka Box setting is done in shoujo-esque style (we have a reversed harem so far consisting of three characters and one side character (karate guy) and with a possibility of 10 year old genius brat joining in (because we all know that Medaka will beat him and usually her victims end up falling for her)).

The girl is the main character too, which is also shoujo-like (though Zen was presented as a main character in one-shot and beginning chapters, his role later diminished to being Medaka's lap-dog whose main purpose is to explain why Medaka acts this or that way and praise how awesome she is).

Yet the artwork is very shounen like with some fanservice in. Not to mention that the heroine is too perfect Mary Sue for the girls to find connection with her character.

Its a weird hybrid type of manga that is not popular with majority of shounen audience. But even if it was posted on shoujo magazine I doubt it would be popular either. In fact I cannot imagine in what magazine it could be popular.
Old 2009-08-27, 01:55   Link #553
Sol Falling

Jesus christ, you guys. The prospective new member is obviously the flatchested handcuff girl, not the brat.

Also, what reverse harem? Medaka isn't the main character, and Akune's the only guy after her.

Finally, the complaints about Medaka being 'too perfect' and Zenkichi being her 'lapdog' are just ridiculous. Medaka is perfectly tolerable as a character, she just doesn't have any depth. I actually find you guys' insistence that she just has to be in love with some average guy just because he's known her from childhood and is her lapdog or something more annoying. Love doesn't work out that way: perfect chicks don't fall for you just because you're average.

You guys' impression of Zenkichi being strung along by her are also false. Zenkichi isn't expecting anything, and he's also perfectly satisfied with their current relationship. Don't you think maybe, just maybe, he's helping out 'cause he's got nothing more interesting to do and he actually thinks 'helping people' is a good cause?

Medaka's mediocrity lies in the fact that's it's all fluff. There's little depth in the mechanics of its conflicts, and there's no meaning/deep relatability behind its characters. None of the suggestions that've been made here would actually improve it though ('cept maybe the genderswapping lol, that'd be a mindscrew). Medaka's over-the-top personality quirks are the only thing keeping this manga up right now, it'd be too stupid to muck it up with relationship drama right now.

Actually, I think Medaka Box should just become a fighting manga. That's what most of the characters are good at, after all, and you've already got the superhuman factor. Just get deeper into the mechanics of the actual battles, and extrapolate what actually makes the characters superhuman, and all of a sudden this story's got some meat on its bones and it actually becomes interesting.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 02:20   Link #554
Arturro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Are you sure you aren’t looking too much into it? I honestly don't see anything at this point that would suggest that it is postmodern or revolutionary in its concept.
I didn't said it's a good postmodernism manga, I said author wants to experiment, and he failed. On the other hand - his writting techniqueas are pretty good.
Quote:
Also, I find you saying that the readers loathing bi-shonen basterds and unrequited love a bit puzzling. Usually, it is the bi-shonen who manages to be the most popular in character pools and with the fandom of the series. Also, I cant find anyone aside from Akune who would fit the unrequited love role, and even then it is usually played for laughs (not to mention that many manga in WSJ used to use these types of character often, so it really doesn’t look like they loath it that much)
In manga 2 kinds of male protagonists are dominant - a wimpy one and a bishi-bastard. I also prefer a bishi-bastard over wimpy character as a male protagonist, but not as a rival to male protagonist who is an average guy. Just visit any topic in Valkyria Chronicles subforum and read opinions about Faldio - a bishi-bastard type rival of male protagonist in this show.
Zenkichi is in love in Medaka, he said it himself. Medaka doesn't care about him at all (or rather she care about everyone equally). For me it's unrequited love.

Old 2009-08-27, 04:24   Link #555
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I find it funny that Medaka's "impending cancellation" has created more discussion in this thread than anything in the actual manga...

Last edited by Tyabann; 2009-08-28 at 03:09.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 04:33   Link #556
Johnny
Working the bags...

I guess that's the point, there's not much worth talking about in the manga. Well expect maybe for Shiranui...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 05:18   Link #557
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Jesus christ, you guys. The prospective new member is obviously the flatchested handcuff girl, not the brat.

Also, what reverse harem? Medaka isn't the main character, and Akune's the only guy after her.
Umm, no. Zen, Akune, karate guy and Kikaijima. Thats 4 already. If the villain brat joins it would be 5 (because so far with the exception of the handcuff girl everyone that Medaka 'defeated' fall for her). Though you may argue about Kikaijima, but she obviously gets very flustered when the talk turns around Medaka and tries bit too hard to prove she is not into yuri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I find it funny that Medaka's "impeding cancellation" has created more discussion in this thread than anything in the actual manga...
Guess that proves how 'thrilling' the manga itself is.
Old 2009-08-27, 09:14   Link #558
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Hmm... I've decided to write up a little analysis of what has disappointed me in this manga since it's serialization. I'm going to divide it up into a few different categories-- namely the characters (Medaka and Zenkichi), the plot and the character depth. Warning: It's LONG, which is why it's in spoilers.
Spoiler:

Anyway, sorry for my long-winded post, but after reading many of the posts on this board, I wanted to consolidate my feelings about the manga. I had high hopes for it when it started, but slowly watched them get crushed under the presence of Medaka's powers and a lack of anything going on in the manga. I may not agree with Sol Falling on much of what he said, but he was right when he said the manga is nothing but fluff.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2009-08-27 at 11:12.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 10:32   Link #559
Arturro

@KLGChaos

I agree with most you've said. Mostly I disagree with your evaluation of Kou from Zero In He is psychically weaker than other characters, but hardly you could call him weakling. But this should be discussed in another topic.

Old 2009-08-27, 11:21   Link #560
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Oddly, I think Medaka would have worked better as an anime original, then translated to manga form. Or maybe even a light novel. Comparisons to Haruhi have been unavoidable so far anyway, so they should have taken advantage of it and market it as an alternative to Haruhi (especially on the wake of the Endless Eight fiasco).

What I mean is, the story seems better suited to the demographics of the anime-watching 'hardcore' otaku than the younger shounen crowd.
OverMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council