AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-10-15, 03:21   Link #121
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I would like to volunteer to personally saw off the fingers of anyone under the age of 40 claiming to feel old.

With a blunt saw.
Old 2013-10-15, 03:28   Link #122
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I would like to volunteer to personally saw off the fingers of anyone under the age of 40 claiming to feel old.

With a blunt saw.
Why is that I wonder?

You could feel old and still think positive about it. Or you could be old and still being fitter than many peers who are 10 years younger.
However, your reply goes to show, that you feel old indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
My age is displayed under my avatar... now, I believe that overall, I'm not all that old for life. However, still being in college (between switching majors a few times, getting my ass handed to me by math, and other academic factors), and not even having a 4 year degree, plus being around freshmen and sophomores who are at the "calculated age" (if you were to follow an exact formula for how long one should be in college), and deciding to live on-campus... yeah, I do feel rather old, at least for where I currently am in life.

... although that is mostly due to the fact that theoretically, I should be in school for my master's instead of a bachelor's. And let's not even get started on relationship status (or in my case, lack of one)
So much peer pressure... Think about it this way, people grow older with every new generation. And for most, all that is lengthened by that fact is the work life. Why would it be so bad to live the other parts of life longer as well? Then again, it certainly affects your carreer - studying forever with little result. Ah well, if it makes you feel better, I finished univerisity (with a master's equivalent) when I was 28.

Last edited by Jinto; 2013-10-15 at 03:40.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-15, 05:57   Link #123
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I've already got grey hairs.

sadfaec.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-15, 07:49   Link #124
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:

With a blunt saw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
Why is that I wonder?

You could feel old and still think positive about it. Or you could be old and still being fitter than many peers who are 10 years younger.
However, your reply goes to show, that you feel old indeed.
I think he IS old. *runs*

I think that you start to feel old when you start viewing the younger generation as decadent, and you want to have a cute little girl to cuddle in your arms at night - life experience takes a toll on you, plus your parental/guardian instinct starts to kick in.

You know what that means? Time to get married and have children. If you can afford it.

P.S In the light that I have given you this advice, I want to get first dibs to being the fiance of your daughters.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-15, 10:37   Link #125
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:

With a blunt saw.
Its not my fault, it is these damn kids .
Old 2013-10-15, 11:21   Link #126
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Ok, please click this link, view the video (and read the article if you feel like it), return here and please repeat how you feel If you are too busy booking a flight to Las Vegas to reply I can understand
mangamuscle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-15, 11:27   Link #127
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Yes very. Aches and pains all the time. Especially in my lower back. I think I am going to try acupunture.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-15, 11:36   Link #128
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

You know, i'm 18, but i'm not having a lot of fun being that age. It's the age where you're no longer in education (Depending on if you go to university or stay in college) and you start entering the harsh real world. This entire year I've been up at night worrying about my future, mostly how i've been looking for such a long time without the succession of getting a job. It's that reason that i'm afraid of getting old without having something to show for it.

I don't want to be the guy who stays with his parents longer than he should have. I'll be turning 19 soon and all I can think about is how i'll be a 19 year old without a job and that opportunities such an apprenticeships will shorten once I get older.

I don't feel old physically, but mentally, bleh. I'd rather feel old with a steady job or young whilst still in education to keep me occupied. Staying at home a lot isn't as nice as it sounds, even with the anime I watch. It's nothing, but I have to pay some rent towards my mum and my phone bill, but i'm getting that from Job Seekers Allowance and I really don't want to run on that forever.
Old 2013-10-15, 18:36   Link #129
liro
Super Driver

I'm 12, and I apologize for what my generation has done to music.
Old 2013-10-15, 22:25   Link #130
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by liro View Post
I'm 12, and I apologize for what my generation has done to music.
Don't worry, Karma will catch up to you being fed the crud that kids will listen to 25 years from now
Old 2013-10-15, 22:31   Link #131
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Should I chuckle here or just laugh out loud? What a eye twitchy thread.

Race anyone to the gym or the ski slopes? sheesh.
Old 2013-10-16, 03:28   Link #132
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Should I chuckle here or just laugh out loud? What a eye twitchy thread.

Race anyone to the gym or the ski slopes? sheesh.
Race?

Hold your horses there buddy, you might hurt your back.
Old 2013-10-16, 03:30   Link #133
Sumeragi
Banned

Now I'm wondering if I should call aohige and Vexx Onii-chans or Oji-chans.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-16, 03:39   Link #134
Seitsuki
Onee!

I think the issue is back when you were a kid there were your peers and then people older than you. Now there're still both those, but the number of people younger than you increases daily.

I mean on my way to uni I walk past like 3 schools. One of which is a primary. I remember when I used to go to primary. Their youthful laughter chases me back to cruel reality..
Old 2013-10-16, 05:30   Link #135
Ridwan

Boys will be boys
Old 2013-10-16, 06:21   Link #136
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-16, 06:45   Link #137
TinyRedLeaf
Feeling comfy

About a month into my new job, a new colleague, fresh out of university, was tasked to collect some of our personal details for the company's record.

Those details included our national identity card (NRIC) numbers. The number is Singapore's equivalent of the United States' Social Security number, for example.

Now, it used to be that the first two digits of the number represented the year you were born.

So, in my case, my NRIC number is S75xxx38Z.

That's right. You can tell right away from the number how old I am.

My colleague's response when I messaged her my number:
"WAAAAH. You're so old!"

My reply: "Yeah, I remember when computer screens were monochrome." (-____-)*

I suppose the brighter side of the story is that people have a hard time believing that I'm actually that old. Many think I'm in my late 20s or early 30s.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-16, 08:54   Link #138
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Race?

Hold your horses there buddy, you might hurt your back.
More seriously, mostly what I notice is slow disappearance of people older than me. That's why I go out of my way to have friends in many age groups. I watched a couple of my elders whine their way to death "because all their friends had died" - they had made the mistake of only having friends their age or older.

Physically, I still do what I did in my 20s (actually I'm in better physical condition) but it may take an extra day of aspirin after I do something stupid.

The biggest part in successful maintaining seems to be keeping my weight under control. At exactly around 205lbs (93kg), several things start to go wrong - knees and feet hurt, more easily damaged, night time apnea starts, and be really blunt - sexual performance starts to degrade. Ideal weight for my height and musculature is about 195. Typically I roam right around 200 because I cheat and have too much rice/bread.
Old 2013-10-16, 10:15   Link #139
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
About a month into my new job, a new colleague, fresh out of university, was tasked to collect some of our personal details for the company's record.

Those details included our national identity card (NRIC) numbers. The number is Singapore's equivalent of the United States' Social Security number, for example.

Now, it used to be that the first two digits of the number represented the year you were born.

So, in my case, my NRIC number is S75xxx38Z.

That's right. You can tell right away from the number how old I am.

My colleague's response when I messaged her my number:
"WAAAAH. You're so old!"

My reply: "Yeah, I remember when computer screens were monochrome." (-____-)*

I suppose the brighter side of the story is that people have a hard time believing that I'm actually that old. Many think I'm in my late 20s or early 30s.
I had a rather bad experience in class today, which for the first time I chose to attend rather than checking in my attendance and then going off to study on my own; all for the sake of submitting homework.

The professor was asking the class to do a rather messy differentiation question, and I am the only one who managed to get the answer after the time is up. As I presented my answer, a student asked "What are those things under that funny sign?"

I answered, "Those are limits. C math."

"What limit?"

The professor said, "They don't teach limits in C math. Not anymore, since, erm, 2005? I was teaching C & F maths at <insert name of top high school> then."

Total silence.

Despite having plenty of A level students in my rather small class, I suddenly feel so old with everyone giving me that odd look on the face. The professor hastily covered up by providing what he called a "clearer" method without all those squiggly sigmas, calling mine a "dangerous" shortcut.

Taking the old pre-H syllabus of As had alot of pros; with enough practice, you can solve ridiculously arcane calculus and curve-sketches without even reaching for a calculator. My current exam's 12 questions in the exam without calculator doesn't even faze my generation; we did 13 questions in 3 hours without calculators or formulae sheets; and tackle volumes of trapezoidal solids using nothing more than basic trigonometry and integration. The only con being that in today's context, nobody understands how you get the answer; simply because a number of the quickfire methods used are topics that have been made obselete for close to a decade due to the graphic calculator.

And during the break, there are kids who wanted to invite me to their study group, so they can get "honours together", given the number of "entrants in this course is rather high, a honours would be very valuable."

When he mentioned the number of entrants, I almost had a PTSD flashback. Dragon year baby. Super-moderated PSLE. Hyper-moderated 'O' levels with large proportion retaking the subsequent year. 'A' levels is a suicide course with direct-entry China/India/Malaysia top students PLUS your own ridiculously large batch, that they doubled the number of classes in every institution for the '05 intake.

All I want is to finally finish my degree, and these kids are talking about competition.

Having gone through 10+ straight years of academic gladiatorial tournaments, 2 years of army, 3 years of job-hopping, I am too old for this shit at the age of 25. Give me a break. Most people have already graduated at my age.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-16, 10:47   Link #140
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
AI suppose the brighter side of the story is that people have a hard time believing that I'm actually that old. Many think I'm in my late 20s or early 30s.
I sometimes have visitors asking to meet the actual head of logistics instead of some intern when they see me. Most of the time I wonder if it's a problem of age recognition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I am too old for this shit at the age of 25. Give me a break. Most people have already graduated at my age.
For some reason I am reminded of C-kun when I read that line, S-Chan.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote