AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-22, 15:35   Link #201
Ekul
Transdimensional phoenix

I doubt it was just his shyness. His insecurity about his looks is also pretty strong, it's just not flaunted. He doesn't angst about his looks because it doesn't prove an obstacle to any of his relationships. Interestingly enough, Minori has a nice person detector apparently, so she really likes Ryuuji and initially distrusts Ami. Taiga doesn't respond to intimidation besides romantic intimidation and Ami's reasons for getting close to him were (initially) more about stealing some ugly guy from a girl she hates and then dumping him.
However, it mentions in the first chapter that because people were so afraid of him he intentionally avoids anything that might offend anybody or look threatening, therefore he could not make the first move on Minori because he was scared of scaring her and people may think he's strongarming her. Notice that he only jokes around with people he's comfortable with. He could not talk to Minori at first, but he was very comfortable with playing around with Kitamura, his mother, Inko and Taiga.
Old 2009-04-22, 15:44   Link #202
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

It's still not something I'd call indecisiveness, even if I do agree with most of what you said, Ekul. So, Akka, we'll just agree to disagree, as you suggested.

Old 2009-04-22, 23:34   Link #203
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I *am* among the people who are extremely shy and at a loss of words when being close to love interest, but as I said, the way the plot drags on because Ryuuji is unable to ask very simple/easy questions or to act, is just too contrived, even for someone like me
Add to it how he is usually passive/submissive, and you have someone that I find rather irritating - though not without qualities.

Let's just say we have different appreciation on the matter ^^
I take it that you've never seen School Days or Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien if you really want to witness an indecisive male lead that would make you bang your head against the wall more than once

Ryuuji was shown to be shy in my opinion but not indecisive. I felt that he was a decent male lead and that he actually thought about his decisions carefully rather than acting on impulse which is actually a good thing in most situations.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-04-23, 00:50   Link #204
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

What about introverted?
Old 2009-04-23, 01:07   Link #205
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
What about introverted?
Yeah, I think that's a good word to describe him as well. The only problem I found with his character was how forced his relationship with Taiga felt. On Taiga's end, we had a clear understanding of her feelings but for Ryuuji, I only saw hints and such and there really was no powerful scene that solidified his true feelings for Taiga, it kind of felt like the others kind of pushed him towards her rather than him discovering it on his own.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2009-04-23 at 01:34.
Old 2009-04-23, 01:12   Link #206
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Yeah, I think that's a good word to describe him as well. The only problem I found with his character was how forced his relationship with Taiga felt. On Taiga's end, we had a clear understanding of her feelings but for Ryuuji, I only saw hints and such and there really was no powerful scene that solidified his true feelings for Taiga, it kind of felt that the others kind of pushed him towards her rather than him discovering it on his own.
And this is the exact reason why the novels are better.

Remember the scene where she offers to make chocolates for him? In the books, that's when he realizes he loves her, and there's this lengthy monologue about it.

Supposedly. I only heard that second-hand. Wish the books would get translated faster.
Old 2009-04-27, 16:32   Link #207
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Yeah, I think that's a good word to describe him as well. The only problem I found with his character was how forced his relationship with Taiga felt. On Taiga's end, we had a clear understanding of her feelings but for Ryuuji, I only saw hints and such and there really was no powerful scene that solidified his true feelings for Taiga, it kind of felt like the others kind of pushed him towards her rather than him discovering it on his own.
In the first book I felt that way while reading it too but by 5 it makes sense why he was looking out for her the way he does, and why he is the way he is. A lot of his selflessness probably comes from a certain degree of self-loathing from guilt over how his mom's life turned out.
Old 2010-01-22, 07:34   Link #208
Van-kun
Wounded Warrior

im jealous.. T-T

i wish i could also have and read the novels..

Philippines is such a pitiful country..
Old 2010-01-24, 01:36   Link #209
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

@Van,

Since you have Internet access, you can read the fan translations at Baka-Tsuki. Consider yourself more fortunate than the ones relying only on TV5. Damn, stopping the showing after only 17 episodes. I know how it felt because I experienced something similar with Macross a decade ago.
Old 2010-10-18, 05:01   Link #210
Mihara Yuki
I...I don't know...
*Fansubber

Send a message via Yahoo to Mihara Yuki
I like Ryuuji obsession to cleaning.Its not like you can find that in every man,so I adore him.

I support Black Battler
Old 2010-10-27, 15:30   Link #211
Divine witch
Yes,Captain Vocabulary.

Yeah...especially since Taiga is so messy
Closed Thread

Tags
characters